Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Holgate's fairly calm before Firmino says whatever it is he says, but it's not exactly shocking to see the lad that just threw a player into a crowd of fans start to kick off again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I get awful light headed blowing up balloons is that the high he is going for?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Grayditch wrote: »
    Right in front of the ref and a load of Everton players who didn't react the same way, so.
    Holgate is the only one going nuts and there's plenty of other Everton players around. Why don't they react? If I was standing a couple of feet away from a guy screaming racist abuse at my team mate it's fair to say I'd react. I don't know how but I'm sure I'd be angry or shocked or both. None of the Everton players look like that.

Yes, well that makes it look likely that there was no racist slur but that doesn't mean Holgate doesn't think he heard something, like I said hopefully just a mis-understanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Holgate's fairly calm before Firmino says whatever it is he says, but it's not exactly shocking to see the lad that just threw a player into a crowd of fans start to kick off again.

He stayed on the pitch. If it is a misunderstanding, it's an incredibly beneficial one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I've missed that featureless, half-faced blur we know as Clyne.

njMHbNn.png

HkPOzEH.jpg?1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Lads are saying Holgate was putting on an act to get out of a red card, I find that very hard to believe, incredible oscar winning performance if so, he obviously 'thinks' he was offended whether he was or not is another story. Best case scenario is it was all just an unfortunate mis-understanding and there wasn't a villain of the piece.

Yea, it does look like a genuine reaction looking at it again.

But it is fortunate for Holgate that the incident completely overshadowed a player shoving another player in the back over the hoardings in which the player that got pushed firstly didn't even get a freekick from the incident and instead is under investigation for alleged racism. So, I get the thought process even if its not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Turtyturd wrote: »
    It definitely won’t be forgotten, there even seems to be one or two Liverpool fans creaming themselves at the possibility of it being true.

I can't imagine any Liverpool fan wants that to be true, it would be a nightmare scenario.

I'm sure most beyond a few pathetic rival fans who'd love to get on their moral high horse and use this to bash the club very much hope it's a misunderstanding.

No decent person wants there to have been a racist slur thrown out in a football match.

What gives you the impression of that?

Another point imo is that saying nobody else reacted bar Holgate, well he's looking directly at Firmino, I'm guessing that it was quite noisy at that point, the crowd was riled up and at fever pitch after the initial incident, it may not have been easy to hear anything unless you were actually lip reading someone, so although people are in close proximity it may have been nigh impossible to hear anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

Another point imo is that saying nobody else reacted bar Holgate, well he's looking directly at Firmino, I'm guessing that it was quite noisy at that point, the crowd was riled up and at fever pitch after the initial incident, it may not have been easy to hear anything unless you were actually lip reading someone, so although people are in close proximity it may have been nigh impossible to hear anything.

So Holgate can hear despite of the noise but nobody else can?

Morzadec wrote: »
    I can't imagine any Liverpool fan wants that to be true, it would be a nightmare scenario.

I'm sure most beyond a few pathetic rival fans who'd love to get on their moral high horse and use this to bash the club very much hope it's a misunderstanding.

No decent person wants there to have been a racist slur thrown out in a football match.

What gives you the impression of that?

Don't take the bait, it's obviously directed at me. I like Sturridge therefore I hate Firmino, I want Firmino banned for eleventy games so Sturridge can come back in the team even if it's detrimental to the team.

• Advertisement

amber69 wrote: »
    So Holgate can hear despite of the noise but nobody else can?

Nope, i said he may have been reading his lips as he was looking directly at him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Nope, i said he may have been reading his lips as he was looking directly at him.
    Kenny was looking directly at Firminho as well.

Laser guided racial abuse. I can't see it holding up. I'm going to go ahead and give Firmino the benefit of the doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

With Coutinho and Can gone and with Keita here, think Klopp likely sees the below as his best team, with a LW needed now if possible.

____________ Firmino ___________________
    ___New ____________Salah/ Mane ___
    _____________Lallana ____________________
    ________Keita______Henderson_______

Robertson_______________Alexander-Arnold
    ________Lovren______Van Dijk____________
    ______________ Karius ___________________

Mane just isnt the same on the left, is most effective at RW. Bad luck for him Salah is in devastating form. Took his position and pipped him to AFoY!

You would be wondering if Ings/ Origi are seen as workable, as if not, a new ST needed too. Can't count in Sturridge long term.

Probably need a new AM aswell as not sure Woodburn will get opportunities and that is suddenly a thin position.

So maybe a LW/AM/ST on the shopping list. I certainly hope Liverpool can make another big signing now and let us forget about Coutinho and continue the positivity train!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

Kenny was looking directly at Firminho as well.

My guess is Holgate knew that he was in big trouble. Firmino mouthing off gave him the chance to get out of it. He had more than enough time to think it through.
    Edit.. Lipreading would be difficult enough without it being in a foreign language

amber69 wrote: »
    My guess is Holgate knew that he was in big trouble. Firmino mouthing off gave him the chance to get out of it. He had more than enough time to think it through.
    I hope not, cause that would make Holdgate a pretty disgusting person.
    Hoping it's a misunderstanding; but one that should have been cleared up shortly after the game if the FA were competent.

I hope he's still done for the push. But he won't be.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us sign a replacement no one has even thought about or even named in the press.

We are scraping 4th right now. After reading Klopp's statement I get why Phil had to go now, but if we don't sign someone to at least try to fill the void and we miss out on CL... Disaster.

Waiting on the perfect player might not be an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

I wouldn't be surprised to see us sign a replacement no one has even thought about or even named in the press.

Wouldnt be suprised if they signed no one to replace him in this window ;););)

That's more likely than actually signing someone, hopefully not though, it would be negligent to not fill the gap in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

We are scraping 4th right now. After reading Klopp's statement I get why Phil had to go now, but if we don't sign someone to at least try to fill the void and we miss out on CL... Disaster.

Waiting on the perfect player might not be an option.

Really? effectively 4 pts ahead of spurs with GD and 3 pts off 2nd place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

All the trusted journos like joyce and pearce seem to think the same. It will be "hello darkness my old friend" if we dont spend some of the coutinho money to improve the team this window. I say there would be a huge backlash against klopp and the club if we dont spend the money and fail to get top four.

That's more likely than actually signing someone, hopefully not though, it would be negligent to not fill the gap in the squad.

Get the feeling that they maybe know who they want and know when the player will be free. Lets hope its sooner rather than later.

ricero wrote: »
    All the trusted journos like joyce and pearce seem to think the same. It will be "hello darkness my old friend" if we dont spend some of the coutinho money to improve the team this window. I say there would be a huge backlash against klopp and the club if we dont spend the money and fail to get top four.

They already have spent most of the money.......Keita and VDD. Can bet your bottom dollar on it that during the last window they knew exactly what was happening and moved accordingly. That is why Klopp always speaks from a project and time....;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

They already have spent most of the money.......Keita and VDD. Can bet your bottom dollar on it that during the last window they knew exactly what was happening and moved accordingly. That is why Klopp always speaks from a project and time....;)

Sadly that would not surprise me at all

Everything's a conspiracy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

J Mysterio wrote: »
    With Coutinho and Can gone and with Keita here, think Klopp likely sees the below as his best team, with a LW needed now if possible.

____________ Firmino ___________________
    ___New ___________Salah/ Mane ___
    _____________Lallana ____________________
    ________Keita______Henderson_______

________Lovren______Van Dijk____________
    ______________ Karius ___________________

Mane just isnt the same on the left, is most effective at RW. Bad luck for him Salah is in devastating form. Took his position and pipped him to AFoY!

You would be wondering if Ings/ Origi are seen as workable, as if not, a new ST needed too. Can't count in Sturridge long term.

Probably need a new AM aswell as not sure Woodburn will get opportunities and that is suddenly a thin position.

So maybe a LW/AM/ST on the shopping list. I certainly hope Liverpool can make another big signing now and let us forget about Coutinho and continue the positivity train!

_______Mane ________Salah
    ____________ Firmino
    ________Keita_______Lallana/Ox
    ___________Henderson
    ______Van Dijk_______Matip
    _____________ Karius

but as Liverpool are clearly going to buy that is merely one option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

We see how small time they are to use heysel on stickers left behind to try and score points

It's actually insulting and disrespectful to those who lost their lives in that tragedy. They don't even care about them, they're delighting in their deaths just so that they can have a pop at opposing football fans.

ricero wrote: »
    Sadly that would not surprise me at all

May I add, I actually respect the owners for the way they run the club. Promised to leave it in a healthier state if or when they left and they are keeping their promise. They may not be everyones cup of tea....but I wouldnt want the club to go back to where it was when they came in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Alonso77 wrote: »

I'd agree with him.

A goal difference of +4 could easily be made up if we lost a game and spurs won one, in effect, one result. So I'd say it's still fairly precarious.

That's not exactly super comfortable with City as our next game. Anyway my main point is that although I'm happy with our position, that's our position with Coutinho's 7 goals and 5 assists or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

monkey9 wrote: »
    It's actually insulting and disrespectful to those who lost their lives in that tragedy. They don't even care about them, they're delighting in their deaths just so that they can have a pop at opposing football fans.

Was trying to gather the words but this sums up what I was thinking perfectly, then some lad throws it up in the humour thread cause someone got offended

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

mightyreds wrote: »
    Was trying to gather the words but this sums up what I was thinking perfectly, then some lad throws it up in the humour thread cause someone got offended

Same lad who says he would not watch the game but then went through twitter after it to find things out to try and point score, with the usual suspect giving it a thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

That's not exactly super comfortable with City as our next game. Anyway my main point is that although I'm happy with our position, that's our position with Coutinho's 7 goals and 5 assists or something.

True but that's focusing on possible negative outcome. As it stands I'm quite happy with our standings overall

True but that's focusing on possible negative outcome. As it stands I'm quite happy with our standings overall
    Agreed. The two Manchester clubs have totally outspent us, Chelsea as well.
    We’ve dropped seriously cash on VVD now, but lost a quality attacker that needs to be replaced.
    Happy we’re in 4th, with a shot at 2nd.

We've got City next, tough fixture sure, but every other team in the top 6 has to play them once more, not just us.

And I would rather that than go out and do what Rodger's did with the Suarez money buying Balotelli & Lambert as his replacement and totally wasting that money or what Kenny did buying Big Andy after Torres left.

At least we know Klopp has targets and won't buy token replacements just to spend money he will wait till he can get the that player and in doing that we have seen that player will really want to join us and play for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

City have no hope at Anfield, they never did. It's the one game we can guarantee 3pts from.

And I would rather that than go out and do what Rodger's did with the Suarez money buying Balotelli & Lambert as his replacement and totally wasting that money or what Kenny did buying Big Andy after Torres left.

At least we know Klopp has targets and won't buy token replacements just to spend money he will wait till he can get the that player and in doing that we have seen that player will really want to join us and play for us.

Don’t think Rodgers wanted Balotelli. Plus if you’re gonna lumber Carroll on Kenny, then give him Suarez as well :)

• Advertisement

City have no hope at Anfield, they never did. It's the one game we can guarantee 3pts from.
    Wish I had your confidence :)
    This is a different City side, and we need Salah fit.

Don’t think Rodgers wanted Balotelli. Plus if you’re gonna lumber Carroll on Kenny, then give him Suarez as well :)

Fair enough but I can also put Downing & Adam on him as well.

And about 15 other players on Rodgers like Borini, Lovren & Moses who still owes us 18 goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

One of the club's most important players has just left, albeit the defense is hopefully stronger with the arrival of Van Dijk.

Liverpool's next game is City, not beyond the realms of possibility they'll lose that. If so & Spurs win all of a sudden it's a one point lead, fcuk all really. (Although GD gives a hairs more breathing room). At least Spurs have to travel to Anfield, rather than Liverpool going to Wembley

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Yup, and Coutinho usually scores a banger, no wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Why is Firmino laying on a beach in Cyprus while rest of squad is in Dubai

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Why is Firmino laying on a beach in Cyprus while rest of squad is in Dubai

Could be a chance to rest and recuperate ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Hidalgo wrote: »
    One of the club's most important players has just left, albeit the defense is hopefully stronger with the arrival of Van Dijk.

Liverpool's next game is City, not beyond the realms of possibility they'll lose that. If so & Spurs win all of a sudden it's a one point lead, fcuk all really. (Although GD gives a hairs more breathing room). At least Spurs have to travel to Anfield, rather than Liverpool going to Wembley

Spurs also have to play the 'invincible' City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

I am quite happy with our position but the concern is that VVD may not be worth as much as Coutinhos 7 goals and 6 assists for the remainder of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

In fairness he also picked up Suarez during that window!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

rgace wrote: »
    I am quite happy with our position but the concern is that VVD may not be worth as much as Coutinhos 7 goals and 6 assists for the remainder of the season.

The way he was marshalling the defence in his first game gives me hope he'll make a big difference. Shouting at Karius to come for the ball :D

Hopefully he can help us cut out some of the stupid mistakes over time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement