Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Hidalgo wrote: »
    One of the club's most important players has just left, albeit the defense is hopefully stronger with the arrival of Van Dijk.

Liverpool's next game is City, not beyond the realms of possibility they'll lose that. If so & Spurs win all of a sudden it's a one point lead, fcuk all really. (Although GD gives a hairs more breathing room). At least Spurs have to travel to Anfield, rather than Liverpool going to Wembley

not beyond the realms we might win also, our home form is generally quite good, unbeaten since palace game last season - who's to say spurs will win either? their form has been erratic at times.

I'll keep focusing on the positives for now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

rgace wrote: »
    I am quite happy with our position but the concern is that VVD may not be worth as much as Coutinhos 7 goals and 6 assists for the remainder of the season.

He already has one goal, if he stops us conceding another 6 or 7, particularly on set pieces where I think he will dominate for us, and prevent some of the awful ones we have seen recently then he will be more than worth it and if he wakes Ming or Karius up as well like he tried to on Friday then great stuff!

BTW, we have won more games on average without Coutinho in the team than we have with him in the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Annoyingly Arsenal are out of the FA Cup :D so can rest players when Liverpool can't. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Annoyingly Arsenal are out of the FA Cup :D so can rest players when Liverpool can't. :(

Hoping for an easy draw next time. A chance for the B team.
    United away it will be then .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

if he wakes Ming or Karius up as well like he tried to on Friday then great stuff!

I liked the way he was shouting at Karius to come out and retrieve the ball rather than pass it back to the keeper.

Two aspects of both Mig and Karuis game that drives me bonkers, the two of them seem to be afraid to leave their area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Alonso77 wrote: »
    True but that's focusing on possible negative outcome. As it stands I'm quite happy with our standings overall

Cool. My point is still it's our standing with Coutinho playing really well. Now he's gone and needs some sort of replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Charlie19 wrote: »

Two aspects of both Mig and Karuis game that drives me bonkers, the two of them seem to be afraid to leave their area.

Wouldn’t say that’s an issue with Karius at all.

Turtyturd wrote: »

Cant picture him rushing out to clear any 50/50 balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Fair enough but I can also put Downing & Adam on him as well.

And about 15 other players on Rodgers like Borini, Lovren & Moses who still owes us 18 goals.
    You’re not going to get an argument from me on bad signings. I just find it hard to overally praise or overally criticize the manager due to the transfer committee. Some are the managers choice, other seem to be projects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

not beyond the realms we might win also, our home form is generally quite good, unbeaten since palace game last season - who's to say spurs will win either? their form has been erratic at times.

Its more just being pragmatic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Ya, as pointed out all the top 6 still have to play City. The bit of leeway that was there has certainly narrowed imo with the departure of Coutinho, however that may improve again before window closes if quality is brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Twice in the cup game Karius seemed very 'doddery' in coming outside his area to clear, even though on both occasions he looked in a better position to do so over the nearest defender

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Twice in the cup game Karius seemed very 'doddery' in coming outside his area to clear, even though on both occasions he looked in a better position to do so over the nearest defender

It feels like he has been at this constantly tbh.

Lax when people run at him when the ball is at his face as well.

Cant picture him rushing out to clear any 50/50 balls.

Leicester game against Vardy, was offside but he didn’t know that.

CL game when Gomez got in his way.

Leicester game against Vardy, was offside but he didn’t know that.

CL game when Gomez got in his way.

Arsene-Wegner-Didnt-See-It.jpg

I've just no confidence in both keepers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

That was a particularly impressive moment from Karius. Typically it didn't matter. And I hate saying it but it was quite rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Ya, as pointed out all the top 6 still have to play City. The bit of leeway that was there has certainly narrowed imo with the departure of Coutinho, however that may improve again before window closes if quality is brought in.

We will be playing city when they are at full pelt. Some of the others might play a city that have the league wrapped up or that have one eye on the CL. After we play city though we will be done with city, arsenal, Burnley and Leicester a very tough start to the 2nd round of games.

Arsene-Wegner-Didnt-See-It.jpg

I've just no confidence in both keepers.

And that’s fair enough but there’s plenty of things to criticise him about without saying he doesn’t do stuff that he does.

Playing with Van Dijk for the first time probably made him look worse in those situations because our regular defenders would try and handle it themselves rather the Van Dijk wanting him to come for it. A few more games with them together and they’d both know what to do.

In other news seems to be talk building that we’re really going to try bring K8ta in this month.

Just give them the full add on and a bit of a sweetner and get it done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

FWIW

Jason Burt interview with Sachin Nakrani

Suspects Liverpool won't buy this month

Doesn't think we're interested in Mahrez

Thomas Lemar will be extremely expensive and Arsenal are the more likely destination

Klopp more likely to wait like with van Dijk

Liverpool want special young talent to replace Coutinho (Pulisic?)

Club feel like they were in a strong enough position now to let him go and have enough going forward (Lallana key in this, Klopp is a big fan)

Jason has links with Coutinho, Liverpool and Barcelona hence why he was able to break the news first

Says that everyone was very confident after the summer window that Liverpool would get their money and Coutinho would get his move in January (Salah's impact on Liverpool influenced that)

The deal has not been done to pay for van Dijk/Keita (no FSG balancing books)

Coutinho add-ons are for qualifying for the CL and Coutinho making ~50 apps over his time at Barca (Liverpool confident they get the full sum of money)

Jason says he has a clear idea of who Liverpool want

Says the player who Liverpool wants isn't achievable this month (Jason has been asked not to run the story yet)

All comes from a 25 minute interview he did with Anfield Index.

In fairness he also picked up Suarez during that window!

And Coutinho came in when Rodgers was in charge .......... Brendan gets the blame for Balotelli but no credit for Coutinho :pac:

• Advertisement

And that’s fair enough but there’s plenty of things to criticise him about without saying he doesn’t do stuff that he does.

Going on the last game, he didn't come off his line and thats fresh in the memory and it was highlighted by VVD, maybe if the other CB's were as vocal, we would've noticed more instances of the keeper not rushing out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Who is Jason Burt I don't think I have ever heard that name before.

Sachin Nakrani the same.

Going on the last game, he didn't come off his line and thats fresh in the memory and it was highlighted by VVD, maybe if the other CB's were as vocal, we would've noticed more instances of the keeper not rushing out.

Or just maybe he’s getting accustomed to playing with a new signing. If he’d have come rushing out and clattered Van Dijk who was going for the same ball he’d be criticized for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

With the Telegraph. Was the first to report the Coutinho deal was finally agreed yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Sachin Nakrani the same.

Pic here.
    He's very knowledgeable
    https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/muppet/images/e/e1/Bert_smile.png/revision/latest?cb=20110630173259

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

My gut tells me we won't sign anyone in this window, especially now Lallana is fit and Oxlade has begun to settle.

I'm quite cautious about Lemar also. It's going to cost a heck of a lot of money with no guarantees he will settle or get in the team ahead of Salah or Mane.

But I guess this is the new reality.

Or just maybe he’s getting accustomed to playing with a new signing. If he’d have come rushing out and clattered Van Dijk who was going for the same ball he’d be criticized for that.

And rightly so, If he wants to come out and claim a ball, he should call it.

Liverpool will attempt to bring Naby Keita’s move to Anfield forward in an attempt to fill the void left by Philippe Coutinho’s £142 million move to Barcelona.

As details emerge of the measures Coutinho took to push through his Nou Camp transfer – committing £11.5 million of his own cash to meet Liverpool’s valuation – his former club are considering how best to move on from his loss.

Keita, who has already been secured by Liverpool following a deal worth around £57 million, is on loan for the season at RB Leipzig. The German club is determined to retain him as they seek to qualify for next year’s Champions League, but Liverpool would be willing to pay more again to get him this month.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/01/07/liverpool-hoping-speeding-naby-keitas-transfer-rb-leipzig-following/

So are Jason Burt & Kevin Palmer the new go to Journo's since they both broke the last major transfers?

Joyce & Pearce on the outs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I think its a disgrace that we sold coutinho without having his replacement already signed.

Its very small time and reeks of poor planning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Amazed that Coutinho stumped up so much of his own cash to get the transfer through.

He clearly wanted away and Klopp had to make a decision.

Don't think we have to spend the money this month as it can lead to a panic buy. Better to wait and get he right player. Don't think Mahrez is the answer.

Maybe we can get Keita this month but also have Lallana coming back who was very important to us last season that many people here seem to have forgotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Sachin Nakrani the same.

At the Guardian, he goes to the shop for smokes for the lad who makes the tea for the guy who makes the coffee for those that pass for football journalists there.

ricero wrote: »
    I think its a disgrace that we sold coutinho without having his replacement already signed.

Selling Coutinho was not in the plan and he has forced it through.

There is plenty of squad depth to get by so I believe it's better to wait for the right player rather than just buy for the sake of it.

corwill wrote: »
    At the Guardian, he goes to the shop for smokes for the lad who makes the tea for the guy who makes the coffee for those that pass for football journalists there.

Jaysus if he doesn't even make the Guardian podcast these day he really is down the pecking order there.

Selling a player for €150 million is small time?

I don't think they planned on selling Coutinho in this window but their hand was forced. Club are attempting to push ahead with the Keita deal.

Ultimately Klopp made the decision on Coutinho, I assume you want him sacked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I think shelling out a few million to get Keita now would be very sensible.

Not sure how many million it would take, but if it took 10million to give us a better chance of securing CL football then it is well worth it imo

DS9lrK4X4AETGms.jpg

All done.

Sad seeing this, it doesn't look right on him, but I am clearly biased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I see the Clyne rumours i mentioned back in November are no gathering full steam , seems to bebsome truth in it

Never noticed him doing that "Greizman" thumbs up thingy before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

What rumours?

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    Selling Coutinho was not in the plan and he has forced it through.

There is plenty of squad depth to get by so I believe it's better to wait for the right player rather than just buy for the sake of it.

waiting for the right player will be even harder if we are out of the champions league next season.

Club should of been well aware of Coutinho's desire to leave in January and should of had their plans already in place. By the looks of things they are scrambling around like headless chickens at the moment and this is evident in trying to bring in Naby Keita early. How embarrassing will it look now if Leipzig say no to this request ?

We are really looking clueless and small time imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

When you stand back and look at this i think Liverpool did the right thing in getting 160 million for him. He wanted out. When he was willing to pay his own money to push it through it says it all. We were luck to get the 6 months extra out of him.
    On the other hand better hold onto the fee rather than rush into a panic buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I see the Clyne rumours i mentioned back in November are no gathering full steam , seems to bebsome truth in it

That he is freebasing craic 90% pure I hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Coutinho leaving doesn't bother that much to the extent that i'm actually looking to watch him play for Barcelona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Not sure how it's clueless or small time.
    Klopp felt he had to make this move due to the incredible desire from the player (stumping up some of it himself). Clearly he felt it was having a negative affect. So far from clueless.

Small time? It's enormous money. And they just bough a CDF for £75m. Looking to try and pay an extra few million to get Kieta early. No doubt they will be targeting someone with the Coutihno money.

Hate to see him leave. But from the stuff coming out, the player was pushing this with the club, Klopp and the players.

waiting for the right player will be even harder if we are out of the champions league next season.

Club should of been well aware of Coutinho's desire to leave in January and should of had their plans already in place. By the looks of things they are scrambling around like headless chickens at the moment and this is evident in trying to bring in Naby Keita early. How embarrassing will it look now if Leipzig say no to this request ?

If we’d have brought in a player before Coutinho went you’d be crying that they only came in and FSG only spent the money because they knew he was going.

The truth is you have no idea what's going on in the background or what their plans are.

Also, not all plans work out as they originally planned to keep Coutinho.
    Nothing small time in selling him for £140m and nothing small time in waiting to make a big signing.
    There's no scrambling around like headless chickens.

Keita would be a good idea and there's nothing embarrassing about trying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Wouldn't have happened in your football manager game. Am I right?

If we’d have brought in a player before Coutinho went you’d be crying that they only came in and FSG only spent the money because they knew he was going.

I have no problem with Coutinho leaving and the fee we received was extraordinary. I actually found Klopps statement last night classy and admirable.

But what i do have a problem that it looks like we dont already have a deal in place for his replacement. We have had since August to plan for this.

That's a real stretch just to maintain a narrative that suits.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement