Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

sword1 wrote: »
    If we class Coutinho as being one of the midfield three klopp tends to play that means we are left with
    Henderson, Wijnaldum, Milner, Lallana, chamberlain, can, Grujic, wilson and markovic hiding somewhere. Correct me if I am wrong but at least six good players for the three positions even though no replacement for Coutinho, Lallana will hopefully play his way back into form. Not ideal but if the right players are not available it's not worth blowing 50+million on a player that won't automatically be in the preferred starting three midfielder s

Most of that list is "grand". Nothing wrong with them but nothing mouth watering either. Lallana is the only one imo that has the ability to create something out of nothing.
    Agreed that there's no point in bringing in just another squad player. If a midfielder is brought in this month he should be seen as part of the strongest 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

sword1 wrote: »
    If we class Coutinho as being one of the midfield three klopp tends to play that means we are left with
    Henderson, Wijnaldum, Milner, Lallana, chamberlain, can, Grujic, wilson and markovic hiding somewhere. Correct me if I am wrong but at least six good players for the three positions even though no replacement for Coutinho, Lallana will hopefully play his way back into form. Not ideal but if the right players are not available it's not worth blowing 50+million on a player that won't automatically be in the preferred starting three midfielder s
    When we played a midfield three Coutinho wasn't in there.

4-3-3 vs Chelsea:
            Firminio
    Coutinho        Salah

Wijnaldum        Can
            Henderson

4-2-3-1 vs Leicester:
            Firminio
    Mane    Coutinho    Salah

Can    Milner

Coutinho's position was filled by Lallana in the last two games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

They def won’t be singing it any time soon.
    They had such a good team when they reached the CL final. Looked poised to get stronger and stronger if they spent big on 2 or 3 big players to add to the talent. But Wenger didn’t take the plunge when he should have.

They couldn't afford to spend big because of the new stadium. Said they had to sell because of it. There was an interview with him on his time at Arsenal over Christmas and he said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

5starpool wrote: »
    What is the point in discussing something that won't happen?

Did i say it would happen tomorrow and my friend never say never Just Sulk...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

They couldn't afford to spend big because of the new stadium. Said they had to sell because of it. There was an interview with him on his time at Arsenal over Christmas and he said that.

If true, it cost them a lot. Can’t see how they couldn’t have restructured to allow a top signing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

That crap didn't stay in the humour thread for long, some sense of humour

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If true, it cost them a lot. Can’t see how they couldn’t have restructured to allow a top signing.
    Behind the scenes there were tussles between the major share holders so Wenger had to manage with what funds they would agree to release to him. If he wanted a bigger transfer budget or better training facilities he had to sell players to finance it. He has taken a lot of abuse over the years because of the decisions taken by the owners.

Suarez has Messi on one side of him and bought the house on the other side so he would not have a neighbour he didn't want, he has given Coutinho the house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Talisman wrote: »
    Behind the scenes there were tussles between the major share holders so Wenger had to manage with what funds they would agree to release to him. If he wanted a bigger transfer budget or better training facilities he had to sell players to finance it. He has taken a lot of abuse over the years because of the decisions taken by the owners.
    Arsenal fans would tell you Kroenke is legally siphoning off millions each year to build his nfl franchise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Augeo wrote: »
    Klopp isn't a chequebook manager.
    He'll get in some up and coming unknowns for peanuts etc etc etc :pac:

True, to be fair - the £75m for VVD was probably a bank transfer. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

'I gave 100 per cent, 100 per cent of the time I played for Liverpool,' says Coutinho. 'Five years, I did everything I could possibly do. I love this club, but it is time for a new adventure.
    'I have so many memories and have so many people to thank at Liverpool. I have to improve as a player. In my head, I always think this.

'But I will return to Liverpool to say goodbye, to my team-mates, to staff and to the people who helped me and my family. I owe them a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We all knew he was leaving, we just thought he'd stay another few months. It's not like when Torres left out of the blue on deadline day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Markovic to China is a rumour tonight.

**** we might make a profit on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

More talk again that we are in talks with Alisson.

Need a Brazilian to keep Fun Bobby company so we might as well get a good one in a position we need a big improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Very interesting article, thanks. Confirmation too that Liverpool asked for Coutinho to be loaned back till the summer.

Markovic to China is a rumour tonight.

**** we might make a profit on him.
    Not a chance, the club seriously overpaid for him. £20M was probably twice what he was worth at the time. In the summer he was available for £16M and the highest offer received was £8M. If the club recoup half of what was paid for him we'll have done well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Give him wings and watch how he injures himself.

Can you sprain a wing? Sturridge could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Joorabchian's grubby fingers all over that PR guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Hallowed

ricero wrote: »
    I have no problem with Coutinho leaving and the fee we received was extraordinary. I actually found Klopps statement last night classy and admirable.

But what i do have a problem that it looks like we dont already have a deal in place for his replacement. We have had since August to plan for this.

I would hate to have your outlook. So ****in miserable all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Joorabchian's grubby fingers all over that PR guff.

It's a nauseating read like its written by Balague with trivial observations about him not taking the no.10 (no sh*t) and how Dele Alli is appreciated by those in attendance :confused:
    Even the pictures look a bit....well staged. Who leans over to watch anything that close to the TV, except for the Gorilla channel obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I don't blame anyone in the club tbh.

I think that alot of us know you can only really deny a transfer to a wantaway the once.

They did it in the summer despite fierce bidding and transfer requests and they clearly did all they can this time.

As much as I watch those pictures with Coutinho and his family and recognise he's a human with ambitions etc, I'm still a little bit disappointed that he couldn't see the logic of waiting six months.

He is saying we have good players and we do, but he has to know what a setback this is for our season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

torrevieja wrote: »
    If you were the Manager and were given €145 Millio, Were and who would you spend it on ?

Atletico for Oblak and Lyon for Fekir with enough spare change left over to throw it at Goretzka to tempt him here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Klopp isn't a chequebook manager.
    He'll get in some up and coming unknowns for peanuts etc etc etc :pac:

Perhaps I'm getting the wrong vibe but I swear if you weren't in a Liverpool thread saying that I'd have my doubts that you were a Liverpool fan with that kind of post.

Consistently leaping to the defence and praising to the high heavens of one Mr. Rodgers and quite often putting down/criticising Klopp... I have my doubts regardless tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Glico Man wrote: »
    Perhaps I'm getting the wrong vibe but I swear if you weren't in a Liverpool thread saying that I'd have my doubts that you were a Liverpool fan with that kind of post.

Consistently leaping to the defence and praising to the high heavens of one Mr. Rodgers and quite often putting down/criticising Klopp... I have my doubts regardless tbh.

Relax there.

• Advertisement

Coutinho's move was on the cards since July 2016.

https://twitter.com/Zizouology/status/750807701781749760

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Apparently Madley’s report states that he didn’t hear anything from the main man. So hopefully it’s just a matter of banning Holgate for the push and throwing around reckless allegations and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Isn't Joorabchian Suarezs agent too?

I remember his taint on other transfers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Vicxas wrote: »
    Isn't Joorabchian Suarezs agent too?

I remember his taint on other transfers.

Not sure about Luis but he was Mascherano's and Tevez's agent.....I'll say no more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

A) Firmino called him a n****r and will get banned, deservedly if he said it.
    B) Holgate knew he hadn't used that word and pretended he had to deflect attention from his push.
    C) Firmino said "puta" and Holgate misheard it as n****r hence his reaction

I'd say (A) is unlikely, someone else would have heard it as there were several others around including Ref .
    And (B) almost equally unlikely, I mean it happened so fast so if he had the presence of mind in that split second to weigh up his options and pretend he was racially abused then he's a little evil genius

My money is firmly on (C). Puta and the N word depending on accent/dialect could be easily confused, he just misheard him, it happens.

Sad thing is the FA will prob just say not enough evidence to charge and he'll still have fans chanting at him that he's a racist etc.
    Between that and the auld drink driving, opposition fans won't be stuck for ammo

And even though Holgate prob didn't do this intentionally to deflect from his own behaviour, the end result will be that he's got away with it when he should have been booked or sent off or faced retrospective punishment.
    But the FA arent gonna say "not enough evidence of racism" and then turn around and ban Holgate for a game for what he did.
    Not their style atall.

The fact that the referee didn't at least book him for the push shows the attitude the FA will have towards this

I think you are right with c

I think an act that endangered a professional and fans didn't get a booking at least is ludicrous

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Now that the deadwood has been cast off the team can get on with the season. What does the injury front look like going into City? I really think Can needs to be dropped - he's been the cause of a lot of goals recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

On Holgate, I think fans are giving him a lot more credit than he deserves.

he pushed the lad into the crowd like a thug, and looked at him smugly as Firmino rushed back to deck him.

i hope he just misheard Firmino, but we'll never know for sure. We'll only ever be able to take his word for it. if Firmino is cleared, he'll just say he misheard him. Holgate is in a no-lose situation here. he's never going to be labelled as someone who made the accusation up, because all he has to say is 'oh, sorry, I misheard him'. And the worst he'll be told is to be careful in future.

With all the nonsense that generally happens on a football pitches, the terrible language that is used, and the use of any underhanded tactic to get ahead, i wouldn't put it past Holgate to conveniently mishear it to distract from his own thuggish behaviour.

Although it is nice that so many will give him the benefit of the doubt.

I just can't believe that he was the only person in that moment who heard something that sounded so similar to a racist term. With the Evra/Suarez situation, it was a quieter, private conversation that I could buy nobody else hearing.

All of this is moot if Firmino is actually found guilty of saying it, of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

just ventured into the everton thread to see what they make of it, jesus everyone hates us. It's like that comedy sketch where the two Nazis figure out "are we the baddies?"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Ah well, fair play to him for signing a new contract after this enabling Liverpool to get £142m as oppose to something around a third of that (if even)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Ah well, fair play to him for signing a new contract after this enabling Liverpool to get £142m as oppose to something around a third of that (if even)

gimli2112 wrote: »
    just ventured into the everton thread to see what they make of it, jesus everyone hates us. It's like that comedy sketch where the two Nazis figure out "are we the baddies?"

It certainly feels that way to me too at the moment, United fans seem to be giving more time talking about Liverpool than united, I mean they have plenty going on with their own manager, the ref and the commentary /pundits seem to be very critical at the moment, I watched the everton game three times and still can't make myself see it as they were

Constantly being in Liverpools shadow has hardened the ingrained bitterness of Everton fans.

Surprised how badly the Irish Everton fans are considering they are non scouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

They’ve nothing positive to talk about, so just throw the “victims” stuff around. Small club, small minded.

Glico Man wrote: »

Lol
    A short while ago this place was full of crap about how klopp won't spend big..... does it his way etc etc.

Utter horse****.

Spotting that doesn't make you a lesser fan of LFC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's only when they stop talking about Liverpool you have to worry.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Apparently Madley’s report states that he didn’t hear anything from the main man. So hopefully it’s just a matter of banning Holgate for the push and throwing around reckless allegations and move on.

Zero chance Holgate gets punished as part of this, even for the reckless push as that isn't going to be up for review. Unless he comes out and says he made it up (which he won't, even if he did, which I doubt) there won't be any punishment for making the accusation.

I don't think the referee not hearing what was allegedly said puts Bobby in the clear. Bobby was spewing a lot of bile.... holgate was ice cool until the end of the outburst.

Cold as ice pushing him into the crowd too.

Grayditch wrote: »

I dunno TBH.

We seen to be happy to gloss over the fact the lad seems to think he was racially abused....that's not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

I dunno TBH.

We seen to be happy to gloss over the fact the lad seems to think he was racially abused....that's not good.

I dont think people are, I think they are two separate incidents that need to treated as such.
    The push into the crowd needs looking at, as does whatever Firmino said.
    Both need to be dealt with, regardless of what provocation caused them to take place. There is no justification for either action(or one alleged action) in my book

Yeah, nobody is glossing over it.

I dunno TBH.

At present all evidence suggests that he was the only individual present that thought he was racially abused. So far there's no evidence to support his claim - this may change if the powers that be release alternative camera angles of the incident.

Firmino is innocent of the charge until there is evidence to support Holgate's claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Grayditch wrote: »

If he had been racially abused, he wouldnt have just pushed him into the stand.....that was just petulance. If he had been racially abused, he would have done more than that IMO.

For me, he heard the foreign language, and either played the racism card, or he thought one of the words was the N word

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Swings and roundabouts with Holgate. His twitter is no more. Andre Gray got a 4 game ban for something similar so hopefully the FA follow suit

https://twitter.com/Kop_Central/status/949422469244432387

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement