Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

public vote Salah is going to win it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

If one could read the text messages between Suarez and Coutinho we'd all be knocking them. Suarez played a huge part is turning Coutinho's head.
    Still think he had a right to go there, in a matter of weeks he'll have a league medal.

No point in looking to blame anybody. It was Coutinho's decision in the end and the club just couldn't keep him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

What we did in the second half of that season shows what momentum can do for a team just look at LCFC for the same example.

The difference was they had an experienced manager who new how to deal with high pressure Ranieri had never won the big one before but he had been in the race for the title in three different Countries and was very tactically aware and had experience to deal with players and keep calm heads including his own Liverpool didn't have that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Gerrard touched on it before but there was a distinct lack of experience in the squad for the Chelsea game.

A lot of people pointed toward the slip but it was Gerrard and others trying to get the ball off Mourinho when he was stalling and the game was at 0-0 that is my lasting image of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

brevity wrote: »
    Gerrard touched on it before but there was a distinct lack of experience in the squad for the Chelsea game.

A lot of people pointed toward the slip but it was Gerrard and others trying to get the ball off Mourinho when he was stalling and the game was at 0-0 that is my lasting image of the game.

Yep, that's the defining image.

Fair play to Mourinho, did us good and proper on the day unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Virgil van Dijk’s debut winner may have been the big story on the pitch, and the FA investigation into the Firmino-Holgate incident continues to dominate headlines from Friday’s Merseyside derby but the best player on the night was Andrew Robertson.

Since Alberto Moreno’s injury a month ago, the Scot has been superb and kept Everton’s main attacking threat – Yannick Bolasie – deathly quiet at Anfield. Nobody had more touches than Robertson and he won 81.8% of his duels, winning the ball back eight times.

It is the 23-year-old’s defensive instincts and decision-making that set him apart from most other full-backs, including Moreno, and going forward only Ashley Young is a better crosser of a ball from left-back in the Premier League.

After a slow start to life at Liverpool since his summer move from Hull City, that £8m is starting to look like a bargain.

Point 5 in the article "FA Cup talking points".

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/jan/08/fa-cup-talking-points-from-action-third-round

I think he's been average to great in every game he's played, if not predominantly the latter. I'll be upset if Moreno takes back the starting job, tbh. He's just not on Robertson's level and his form at the start of the season was massively overrated for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

As much as I have a soft spot for Rodgers, I am very happy Klopp will be deciding how the Coutinho money is spent. I hope he takes his time and avoids the mistakes that were made previously. Aquilani and Carroll spring to mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Liverpool cool dam 4c

Barcelona 15c mostly sunny

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Sky still have Coutinho in the ad for the city game on Sunday :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

We had a friend of my sisters over at the family house last year who was African-American. My Mother said something about 'knickers' in a side conversation and I just saw the woman bristle and her posture straighten out. We only put two and two together afterward, they dont say 'knickers' over there. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

J Mysterio wrote: »
    We had a friend of my sisters over at the family house last year who was African-American. My Mother said something about 'knickers' in a side conversation and I just saw the woman bristle and her posture straighten out. We only put two and two together afterward, they dont say 'knickers' over there. :pac:

cool story bro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

If they're so worried about the weather they should get a nice warm jacket. I got one at Christmas and it's brilliant. I think overall however the quality of live for twentysomething multi-millionaires is probably better in Barcelona, at least until the civil war kicks off.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    cool story bro.

Nice contribution, dick.

The point of the story is how you can easily mishear what someone is saying, ala Holgate.

Morzadec wrote: »
    Re: Firmino being in Cyprus and not Dubai.

Apparently the FA want to interview both players (i.e. get their version of events). So makes sense he's a bit close to home perhaps. The FA have to be seen to take this allegation seriously and investigate all avenues even if there's no proof.

I believe the fact that we haven't heard anything at this point suggests there is no proof.

We know there is no video footage (at least available to the public as it's very clear what he says in the clip we have). Madley clearly at the time does not hear it and the Mirror article backs this up.

The only thing that could implicate Firmino is the ref's mic (if he did indeed say something). I feel like if there was something dodgy picked up by the mic we'd hear it by now.

Another possibility is a fellow Everton player coming in to support Holgate's claim. That would be a murkier area with regards to being evidence / proof.

He could be in Cyprus chilling with Allan, the last Brazilian along with him under Liverpool contract

Sounds like N word when you take accent into account

Knickers, knickers everywhere '' can see why she was offended.

• Advertisement

Sounds like N words when you take accent into account

Knickers, knickers everywhere '' can see why she was offended.

This is the point.

Knex. wrote: »
    Point 5 in the article "FA Cup talking points".

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/jan/08/fa-cup-talking-points-from-action-third-round

I think he's been average to great in every game he's played, if not predominantly the latter. I'll be upset if Moreno takes back the starting job, tbh. He's just not on Robertson's level and his form at the start of the season was massively overrated for me.

Moreno should be shown the door now that his mate has jumped ship

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Nice contribution, dick.

The point of the story is how you can easily mishear what someone is saying, ala Holgate.

jeeez...relaxez vous!!! don't get your knickers in a twist.

knickers.

i said knickers.

This is the point.

So maybe holgate didn't mishear anything.
    Bobby "I said knickers which sounds like %&$%ers"

I fear thus won't be clear cut or without a spanking.

Whatever was said - and I dont think Holgate was racially abused - it happened after Firmino was pushed into the crowd and over the barrier. Holgate should be punished for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I doubt Rafa would be talking about it though. I'm utterly not surprised Rodgers is. That difference does matter.

Not that it really matters whether either side of this will ever convince the other. It was a long three and a half years with some highs and lots of lows. It's in the rear view mirror. The new regime is not perfect and we've plenty to be talking about.

Every manager who has ever released a book has discussed aspects of how he managed a certain situation. That's all Rodgers is doing, albeit through different media.

I'm not making a case in support of Rodgers being an outstanding manager, my point is only on the undue criticism.

See the reaction to him on here for having the audacity to discuss tactics with a tactics website. Bizarre

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Whatever was said - and I dont think Holgate was racially abused - it happened after Firmino was pushed into the crowd and over the barrier. Holgate should be punished for that.

He clearly won't. It's not even up for review. He should have been at the time, but he won't now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Augeo wrote: »
    So maybe holgate didn't mishear anything.
    Bobby "I said knickers which sounds like %&$%ers"

I fear thus won't be clear cut or without a spanking.

Do you think he said something racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Just as well ye weren't talking about a pair of dirty black knickers or your sisters friend would have been rightly offended!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Think it's in one of the papers today that Madeley said he would have red carded someone using the N word. So that pretty much confirms that he heard nothing. Or nothing he understood anyway.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Think it's in one of the papers today that Madeley said he would have red carded someone using the N word. So that pretty much confirms that he heard nothing. Or nothing he understood anyway.

When I was watching the game and the ref went to the 4th official to report it, you could see him saying that he didn't hear what Holgate said he heard.
    But Holgate clearly thought that he heard it.
    My lip reading is not marvelous, but I've watched Narco's enough to know that Bobby slagged his mom rather than using a racist slur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

For the day that's in it

Boss-520x520.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

D'Agger wrote: »
    For the day that's in it

Boss-520x520.jpg

Oh god, not these again!

And the one when he left was even worse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Not a criticism of anyone here at all for discussing the Holgate/Firmino issue at all, at all.

But my head is as melted as a Cornetto shot into the heart of the sun. Why oh why oh why can we not go 6 months without ****ing rotten nonsense taking away from what's happening on the pitch, to the hungry glee of effers who hate the club?

As if January isn't a big enough ball of razors up the jacksie.

D'Agger wrote: »
    For the day that's in it

Boss-520x520.jpg

:o So cringey

• Advertisement

corwill wrote: »
    Not a criticism of anyone here at all for discussing the Holgate/Firmino issue at all, at all.

But my head is as melted as a Cornetto shot into the heart of the sun. Why oh why oh why can we not go 6 months without ****ing rotten nonsense taking away from what's happening on the pitch, to the hungry glee of effers who hate the club?

As if January isn't a big enough ball of razors up the jacksie.

As far as I'm concerned, on the basis of what I saw on the video available via BBC, there's nothing to talk about. My expectation is nothing will come from it. Until something more concrete comes out, there isn't anything to talk about either way. Let it play out. It will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm still convinced that's a genius meme from United fan or something.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Do you think he said something racist?

I have no idea.
    I certainly wouldn't rule it out though.

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'm still convinced that's a genius meme from United fan or something.

Nah that is giving them too much credit :D:pac::P

Ryan Kent has returned, problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Nah that is giving them too much credit :D:pac::P

Attempting to pin the blame on Utd fans for that piece of absolute cringe would be to deny the existence of the utterly sad subsection of LFC fan which we all know exists. :p

“The difference with the summer is that there has been a big reduction in the price.

“By desire of Liverpool, we cannot give the figures, but there has been a very important reduction.

“If I said something, it would be to break the pact we have with Liverpool.

“It’s bad for me but we cannot give any figures.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Rumour of in house drug test that didn't go well,
    Do find it odd that he is never pictured at the games or doing any of the charity gigs or any thing like that .,Its also od that it took the club till Late November to decide he need an op on a injury they knew about since the Summer, Also Terry once had the same op and was back 4 weeks later ,
    Wasn't it Berihno that West brom confirmed he failed a n inhouse drug test after they had sold him to Stoke , So its happened before

A version of this was put in the humour thread last night, what kind of person could find it humorous. It didn't stay there long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Augeo wrote:
    I have no idea. I certainly wouldn't rule it out though.

That's like saying I have no proof he is a child molester but...........

Unlike Suarez he has no history of this kinda behavior so surely the benefit of the doubt is deserved until proven otherwise?

Likewise I wouldn't want holgate punished either. I can only assume he is being honest about thinking firmino said something. If he made it up he deserves to rot but we can't prove he made it up. So I'd like to think he didn't and it's just a misunderstanding. Even if he told he ref after the game that it was a mistake, I'm sure the fa would still need to investigate to be sure.

Most likely nothing will come of this and firmino will be warned about his temper. The same might happen to holgate because of the push but I've always said it wasn't a red card offense anyway.

• Advertisement

fyfe79 wrote:
    Attempting to pin the blame on Utd fans for that piece of absolute cringe would be to deny the existence of the utterly sad subsection of LFC fan which we all know exists.

Please

We all know Rodgers made it

Real need new blood, they are so coming for Salah in summer. No way will they put up with being a 2nd, let alone 4th. They've been poor this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Real need new blood, they are so coming for Salah in summer. No way will they put up with being a 2nd, let alone 4th. They've been poor this season.

Can see them smashing the transfer record for harry kane this summer. Maybe even send bale back to spurs with cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

FFS. Guardian reporting Sanchez could go to City for £30m as hes out of contract in the summer. Madness. We should bid 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Mr.H wrote: »

Unlike Suarez he has no history of this kinda behavior so surely the benefit of the doubt is deserved until proven otherwise?

Likewise I wouldn't want holgate punished either. I can only assume he is being honest about thinking firmino said something. If he made it up he deserves to rot but we can't prove he made it up. So I'd like to think he didn't and it's just a misunderstanding. Even if he told he ref after the game that it was a mistake, I'm sure the fa would still need to investigate to be sure.

Most likely nothing will come of this and firmino will be warned about his temper. The same might happen to holgate because of the push but I've always said it wasn't a red card offense anyway.

Exactly, even if Holgate went to the ref after the match & said he misheard, the FA will investigate, to be seen to take any accusations of racist comments seriously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

gafferino wrote: »
    FFS. Guardian reporting Sanchez could go to City for £30m as hes out of contract in the summer. Madness. We should bid 50.

He will probably be getting about 300 k a week at city. No way could we offer him that unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

jJNoxG3.gif

Expect someone to come in for one of the Fab 4 3 eventually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

**** him, wasn't interested in 2014, Liverpool can return the thought by not being interested now.

Mr.H wrote: »

It's not at all like that.

I'm not removing the benefit of doubt, I was asked what I thought.... I have no idea. But given the alleged accusation I wouldn't be surprised if there was something in it.

Also, he's not with the squad but is abroad... that's a tad strange IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Won't he just choose Man City regardless? I can't see him being the type who wants to spend time at this stage of his career buying into Klopp's long term plan tbh.

Augeo wrote: »
    It's not at all like that.

I'm not removing the benefit of doubt, I was asked what I thought.... I have no idea. But given the alleged accusation I wouldn't be surprised if there was something in it.

Also, he's not with the squad but is abroad... that's a tad strange IMO

I get where your coming from. I just hate the whole tarnishing him until we know something actually happened. If we say "he may have did it" instead of waiting until we know for sure, it will follow him around forever.

Look at the Suarez case. Suarez admitted what he said but claimed it was not meant in an "racist way" but the fact he admitted it means he will always be seen as a racist.

I know I'll be waiting to see what happens before jumping on any bandwagon.

If Firmino said something wrong he deserves to be punished but right now there is no proof in the public realm. Therefore it is wrong to judge him even by saying you wouldnt be surprised.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement