Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

giphy.gif

Gotta be happy after that draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I find the obsession with who is captain funny tbh. Van Dijk is a leader, everyone knows this. He'll shout at keepers, organise the defence and lead by example. Whether he's got an armband on or doesn't isn't going to change that. I think the only way Henderson loses the captaincy is if he's sold and that's probably not going to happen any time soon. IMO obvs.

murpho999 wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Gotta be happy after that draw.

I'd forgotten about that. Gloriously cringey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I don't know I wouldn't be shocked to see Henderson leave in the summer.

Controversial opinion maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Lads, you'll never guess who we got in the FA Cup!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

monkey9 wrote: »
    Lads, you'll never guess who we got in the FA Cup!!!!!

Barcelona ?

He's not nearly as mobile as he used to be. His heel problems are still causing him problems and probably will into the future so I'm wondering if that would cause problems with a medical at another club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I think Klopp has a lot more time for him than the knockers on the sidelines. He's captain and when fit is almost always selected.

Plus with Coutinho gone, Can leaving and Milner getting on I can't see our entire midfield being gutted to that extent.

We all know that Suarez, Coutinho and Barca will end up at Anfield in coming weeks. It's going to happen.
    Should be a cracking game.

He's not nearly as mobile as he used to be. His heel problems are still causing him problems and probably will into the future so I'm wondering if that would cause problems with a medical at another club.

It's not even that for me to be honest I just see him dropping down to being a squad player next season when Keita arrives and I'm pretty sure we will buy another CM before the start of next season.

I do think Henderson still has a lot to offer as a footballer but he is an attacking midfielder and he won't be a starter for us in that position ever even now.

At this stage of his career Henderson does deserve to be starting week in week out I just don't see that happening at Liverpool from next season.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    giphy.gif
    giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

At this stage of his career Henderson does deserve to be starting week in week out I just don't see that happening at Liverpool from next season.
    I'd play him ahead of Wijnaldum who has not been good this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I think Klopp has a lot more time for him than the knockers on the sidelines. He's captain and when fit is almost always selected.

Plus with Coutinho gone, Can leaving and Milner getting on I can't see our entire midfield being gutted to that extent.

I wonder will Henderson be played a little further forward than the last two seasons? Get in someone better at the deep role and move Henderson up beside Kieta (next season obviously). The energy the two of them would bring to the centre would be huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I'd like to see Henderson given a consistent run of games in either of the two midfield positions either side of the DM role he's been playing.
    He's got the energy to press and was very good in a similar position in 13/14.
    Don't think he's had a run of games in a position that suits him in years hense the talk of him being not able for it anymore with injuries etc.
    Don't think he'd do any worse than Wij, Can, Ox even Lallana.
    As for talk of him losing the captaincy. Only way he loses it is if he's sold imo. I'd say he's the model captain behind the scences and gives his all on the pitch. Struggles on a rare occasion to grab hold of things but there is very few other leaders in the squad so I'd say even Gerrard, Terry, Keane etc would struggle at times with this team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Harry will like this. The website I linked earlier actually does decent, albeit quick, breakdowns. Here's the Everton game. The photo has a navigation bar, in case anyone misses it, so you can cycle through the image breakdown (took me a second to spot it).

http://www.coachesvoice.com/virgil-victor-anfield-debut/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Knex. wrote: »
    Harry will like this. The website I linked earlier actually does decent, albeit quick, breakdowns. Here's the Everton game. The photo has a navigation bar, in case anyone misses it, so you can cycle through the image breakdown (took me a second to spot it).

http://www.coachesvoice.com/virgil-victor-anfield-debut/

Cheers.

This is an annoyance and one that really is not hard to stop
    Liverpool were slow to reorganise in their defensive transition, particularly after corners, which resulted in sizeable gaps as they failed to drop smoothly back into position. This situation produced some promising opportunities for the Everton attack, not least for Gylfi Sigurdsson’s equaliser.

There are times in a game when Liverpool have the wind at their back and we see 3/4 players ahead of the ball and as many again within a short sideways pass. Losing possession in this moment usually means even the worst opposition can be presented with a decent chance to scare the centre-backs/keeper with a decent ball for a runner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ooh stand by your beds for another tease!

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/950455053609066496
    SFR Sport's @Tanziloic on Liverpool replacing Philippe Coutinho: "They want to, but not necessarily this month, their priority is not Thomas Lemar, but Leon Goretzka... they are doing everything to try to convince him, despite the fact he is close to Bayern Munich."

and
    SFR Sport's @Tanziloic on Thomas Lemar & Arsenal: "He is their priority to replace Alexis Sanchez... Monaco are not totally against the idea of an offer this month, but it would have to be a very big offer... I am told that Liverpool wouldn't make a big offer."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I honestly can't foresee a time where I don't enjoy that Pardew dancing gif :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

x43r0 wrote: »
    I honestly can't foresee a time where I don't enjoy that Pardew dancing gif :D

As much as i dislike him i really wish they won that time would make the gif even more epci!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

I think it's really only beginning to hit me now but I'm gonna miss that little Brazillian magician. I can't believe we'd sell our best midfielder without having a proper replacement lined up but replacing him is impossible anyway.

All the best Lucas, thanks for everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The problem for Henderson is that we don't really have a natural position for him. We have tried him in the holding role because we are short there, but he is just out of place. We have tried him further forward, where he has looked a lot better, but is really a top 4 attacking midfielder? The problem is, will he stay as a rotation player, also can a rotatation player be captain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

MD1990 wrote: »
    I imagine some Liverpool fans will stop celebrating Suarez's success at Barca now.

It was a bit embarrassing seeing some of it on social media.

Ronaldo come home!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

So has there been no word on firmino.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Ooh stand by your beds for another tease!

We looked stupid today after Coutinho said he was made a promise by us to be allowed leave; then reading stuff about wanting Keita early & trying to convince a player who seems to have made up his mind on joining Bayern.
    >.<

So has there been no word on firmino.

No. I thought there would have been some kind of a statement from the FA today but nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Investigation only begins today doesn't it

Investigation only begins today doesn't it
    The FA don't start work until after a few drink at lunchtime, then they need to relax a bit before actually getting down to it; so expected they started at about 4:55pm, before finishing up at 5pm.
    This should have started on Sat morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The FA don't start work until after a few drink at lunchtime, then they need to relax a bit before actually getting down to it; so expected they started at about 4:55pm, before finishing up at 5pm.
    This should have started on Sat morning.
    This is a disgrace to be honest.
    It's now 3 full days since the game. Since the alleged incident, when the BBC and Shearer in particular stuck the boot in, it's been all over media, with a55holes like Collymore convicting Bobby and calling for long bans, as well as this level usual asshatery on twatter and the like. Meanwhile, no evidence has been presented at all, indeed there was a leak from the referee today saying that he heard no racist comments. This stink is still hanging over fermino, and by extension, the club. In these times of commercial/image rights etc, sh1te like this has to be dealt with more quickly IMHO. The longer it goes on, the more of a shadow is cast over fermino, and the club. If it was me, I'd have the lawyers onto the FA and Everton/Holgate and say put up or shut up lads!

Justice delayed is justice denied!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I'm still trying to work out how the transfer got done as all along they said there was no discussions taking place.

More fans turned up to see Paulinho’s unveiling than Coutinho’s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Sanchez to city rumours are even stronger this evening, it's a serious squad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I wonder will Henderson be played a little further forward than the last two seasons? Get in someone better at the deep role and move Henderson up beside Kieta (next season obviously). The energy the two of them would bring to the centre would be huge.

I agree, he should be promoted to steward, far away up the stands if possible as he is absolute muck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Oh dear.

Honigstein: Dortmund revealed that they benefited from Barca's interest in Coutinho in the Summer. Klopp passed on a message to them to say that LFC wouldn't sell, therefore ask a lot of money for Dembele.

From this audio, apparently. Didn't listen to it myself. Ain't nobody got time for that.

https://audioboom.com/posts/6585322-arsenal-fall-in-the-forest-barcelona-land-coutinho-and-team-conte-v-team-mou

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

I'd play him ahead of Wijnaldum who has not been good this year.
    In a relative comparison to the forward players all of our midfielders have been average this season.

The role of the midfielders has changed. With four attacking players ahead of them, the two midfielders are deeper. In an attacking sense it doesn't suit Henderson, Wijnaldum or Milner and Can is gone in the summer.

Players like Wijnaldum are more effective further forward or making late runs into the penalty area. Last season he scored a number of crucial goals Man City (1-0 winner), Chelsea (1-1 equaliser), Arsenal (3-1 killed the game). This season's 4-2-3-1 setup doesn't create the same opportunities for him.

Defensively Wijnaldum has been stronger this season, committing fewer fouls and making more interceptions. This has largely gone unnoticed because it's not headline making stuff - he is effectively a water carrier this season.

Henderson's stats tell another story - he hasn't reached the level he was at prior to getting injured in the 2015/16 season. His pass completion rate is better but that's because he has been playing deeper. He makes fewer interceptions, wins fewer tackles and commits more fouls - those stats might be an indication that his mobility is a problem. If we keep the 4-2-3-1 formation then it would seem that Naby Keita will be taking Henderson's place next season.

Coutinho with a solid goodbye message, to be fair.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdtIUUxhPQE/?taken-by=phil.coutinho
    Since the moment I arrived in Liverpool , me and my family have been made to feel so welcome and have made so many friends.

On the pitch and off the pitch, we have experienced the beauty of this club and its fans. In turn, I hope I have delivered memories and moments that have brought happiness to the Liverpool supporters.

Moving to Liverpool, I knew the club’s greatness and history but what I did learn during my time was the unique heart and soul of the place. It has its own personality and character.

I leave Liverpool because Barcelona is a dream for me. Liverpool was a dream that I was fortunate enough to realise and I have given five years of my life to it. A career on the pitch only lasts for so long and to play for Barcelona as well as Liverpool is something I want to experience and enjoy while I am blessed enough to be able to do so.

I hope the supporters understand that choosing to experience something new is not about diminishing their importance to me or the club’s importance. Nothing will ever diminish that in my heart.

I wish Jürgen and the team nothing but joy and success for the rest of this season and beyond. This is an amazing team and they are getting better and better all the time.

There are too many people I want to thank, but I cannot name everyone individually.

To all the amazing club staff who have been part of my life in Liverpool - I will miss you. To the owners, whom have tried so hard to bring success, and to the football recruitment staff for showing faith in me to bring me here and rewarding me during that journey, and to my incredible teammates, past and present, who have helped me grow and improve as a player and a person, I would like to say thank you to you all. Anything I have achieved here would not have been possible without you.

And finally, to the most important people of Liverpool - the Liverpool supporters. I can never thank you enough for what you have given me during this time and no matter where I go in the world, for the rest of my life, I will always cherish Liverpool in my heart. You, the club and the city will always be a part of me.

Now, we know he can barely speak a fecking word of English, so it's anyone's guess who actually wrote it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Honigstein: Dortmund revealed that they benefited from Barca's interest in Coutinho in the Summer. Klopp passed on a message to them to say that LFC wouldn't sell, therefore ask a lot of money for Dembele.

From this audio, apparently. Didn't listen to it myself. Ain't nobody got time for that.

https://audioboom.com/posts/6585322-arsenal-fall-in-the-forest-barcelona-land-coutinho-and-team-conte-v-team-mou

That’s sound of Klopp, now hopefully they do us a solid and give us Pulisic. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Now, we know he can barely speak a fecking word of English, so it's anyone's guess who actually wrote it :pac:
    Kia Joorabchian probably outsourced it to some sap on fiverr or one of the market places that will write a student's essay for a paltry sum.

Coutinho with a solid goodbye message, to be fair.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdtIUUxhPQE/?taken-by=phil.coutinho

'' I'm Philippe Coutinho and I approve this message ''

• Advertisement

I think it's very possible that both Suarez and Coutinho could one day pull on a red shirt again.

'' I'm Philippe Coutinho and I approve this message ''

I presume Klopp's statement was prepared by staff also, it's just the way it is

I think it's very possible that both Suarez and Coutinho could one day pull on a red shirt again.

Not a chance

sword1 wrote: »
    Not a chance
    Suarez could be shown door in summer if Greaseman is signed. Coutinho could be our McCallister at 35

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Of course it is, there’s every chance Barca will have an all red away strip at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Coutinho can f@@k right off. He more a less went on strike. Injury or not he forced his way out and talked to Barca behind our backs. They made us look like right mugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Truth be told the club probably just put a ridiculous price tag on Phil last Summer and one they knew wouldn't be met, and now this spoof merchant from Barca is twisting it into some kind of "political victory" as the article puts it...I'm not even sure what that means within the realm of sport but there you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

martyos121 wrote: »
    Of course it is, there’s every chance Barca will have an all red away strip at some point.

I’m sure they’ll show up in one of those legends matches at some point.

Mr.H wrote: »
    Coutinho can f@@k right off. He more a less went on strike. Injury or not he forced his way out and talked to Barca behind our backs. They made us look like right mugs.

While it was very clear from the summer he was leaving, his performances weren't compromised. In fact he was playing at a consistent high level this season.

He didn't sulk on the pitch which is all that matters tbh.

Talisman wrote: »
    Henderson's stats tell another story
    You can’t compare the stats between the two, they are in different positions.
    And the eye test from watching every game is that Wijnaldum (playing in a more preferred position than No6) has not played well.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement