Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

It's a different culture and system at Barca. You have the club President and players interacting and making plans to tempt others players. Suarez played his part.
    You would not see John Henry and Firmino having meetings together to lure another player to Liverpool.
    It's not tapping up, Suarez has every right to talk to Coutinho and to tell him it's great at Barca.

I wouldnt say its tapping up at all.

But it doesnt mean we dont have a right to feel like we were mugged off.

Listen Virgil did the exact same and I have no qualms with that. My point is if you mug us off then I think you can go f@@k yourself.

I know that he talked to Barca behind our backs. It doesnt matter if it was an official way or if it was through someone. It happens. Do you think that Jose having the same agent as Ibra and Pogba played absolutely no part in the transfers??? gullible is not just a river in Columbia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd question Chelsea being included - they seem to have become more circumspect in their spending

I'd question Chelsea being included - they seem to have become more circumspect in their spending

They have still spent more than United in the last 10 years

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭SeamusAFA

VVD partner is surely going to be Matip against city?
    Must be the reason he started with him against Everton, let them know each other some bit before City?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Mr.H wrote: »
    To be fair he did say he would want us to buy Verrati............

I would wee my pants.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I would wee my pants.

I think the kop would just be full of wee socked pants :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Mr.H wrote:
    To be fair he did say he would want us to buy Verrati............

I'm sure PSG would sell us an important player & he'd be happy joining a side that just sold one of their best players to Barcelona.
    Should have said Messi or Isco as it's such a deluded statement by Purslow.

ERG89 wrote: »
    I'm sure PSG would sell us an important player & he'd be happy joining a side that just sold one of their best players to Barcelona.
    Should have said Messi or Isco as it's such a deluded statement by Purslow.

Ah come on there are loads of reasons why we would be a good draw for him.

1) PSG need top offload players quick for FFP reasons
    2) selling one player for loads would be easier than a few players for decent fees
    3) He isnt the main man at PSG as they are trying to bring in bigger stars to be the face of the club
    4) Its the French league
    5) Klopp is a draw for a lot of players who like to attack and press. Both attributes which he has
    6) would be seen as a replacement for Coutinho and we still ave the best and most frightening front three in the league
    7) its not like we are not in the CL

It is no way like comparing it to trying to sign Messi. I am not saying we would get him but I am saying its the kinda deal we would all hope we would aim for and that means you cant say Purslow is talking sh!t because its something we agree with him about...............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Verrati would be a fantasy signing if you added him to this Liverpool team with a world class goalkeeper we would definitely be in the mix for top honours.

Coutinho cost €160m then Verrati would cost €180m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

He said himself and Klopp said that he made all of his Liverpool team mates aware that he was leaving and that was final. To me that sounds like sulking.

I probably am overthinking this but I can not see how anyone can think of this as a mutual separation.

Then there are people who are moaning about Liverpool approving the transfer at this stage of the season. FFS he forced the move. I said it before and Ill say it again. Phil is no victim

How is telling his team mates he wants to to go sulking? It's just a matter of fact.

Sulking would have shown its head in his performances but he was top notch so he was clearly not sulking.

There is no victim in this deal, Coutinho got his dream move and the club got a hell of a lot of money for him.

It's part of football. VVD did the exact same with his move.

I have learnt not to get upset about these things when Torres left. Thought he was a part of Liverpool and connected to it but he clearly wasn't.
    It will happen again, so you'd better prepare yourself.

It's a business transaction at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Ah come on there are loads of reasons why we would be a good draw for him.

1) PSG need top offload players quick for FFP reasons
    2) selling one player for loads would be easier than a few players for decent fees
    3) He isnt the main man at PSG as they are trying to bring in bigger stars to be the face of the club
    4) Its the French league
    5) Klopp is a draw for a lot of players who like to attack and press. Both attributes which he has
    6) would be seen as a replacement for Coutinho and we still ave the best and most frightening front three in the league
    7) its not like we are not in the CL

It is no way like comparing it to trying to sign Messi. I am not saying we would get him but I am saying its the kinda deal we would all hope we would aim for and that means you cant say Purslow is talking sh!t because its something we agree with him about...............

Aim for yes but right now we're 4th in the table(no way a sure thing for CL next season), we improved the side signing Van Dijk but then sold Coutinho.
    PSG don't have to sell him they'll sell Pastore, Di Maria, Draxler and Moura before him plus saying "Its the french league" doesn't mean a thing.
    I doubt he cares if Klopp manages us or that our style suits him tbh.
    If he went tomorrow morning it'd be to City, Real or Barca not to Liverpool who unlike those clubs sell more top players than we buy.
    Its cruel to say it but its the truth now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Martin Samuel is a c&^t of the highest order but he has written a good piece on the Firmino incident.

Would the FA act on violence if Roberto Firmino had broken his neck?
    If Liverpool striker Roberto Firmino is proven guilty of racial abuse, the Football Association will know exactly what to do with him. There is a process, there are precedents, there will be a severe punishment.

The system is not perfect, but it exists. Luis Suarez received an eight-game ban for racially abusing Patrice Evra. If guilty, Firmino’s punishment will be in the ball park of that, as it should be.

If, on Tuesday morning, Firmino was in hospital with a broken back, however, the FA would be scrambling for direction. Bobby Madley, the referee, plainly saw him pushed at speed towards a concrete obstacle by Everton defender Mason Holgate. Yet he awarded no punishment, not even a yellow card

So the incident was witnessed, and dealt with. The fact it could have ended a player’s career, or changed his life irrevocably, is not the point. The FA have plenty of procedures to deal with words, it is deeds they cannot handle.

This is no defence of Firmino, if Holgate heard him correctly. However angry he may have been, there are plenty of epithets he could have used to express his feelings without mentioning race. He does not get a free pass, no matter the provocation.

Yet, equally, to underplay Holgate’s behaviour because of the aftermath does every footballer, black and white, a disservice. There is a duty of care on the playing field, which Holgate spurned. As the FA, too, have no way of addressing this, they have also failed in their duty towards professionals.

Make no mistake, what Holgate did at Anfield was at the extreme end of recklessness. He delivered a firm, two-handed push to the back of a player travelling at speed towards the touchline, which propelled him into and over the walled barrier surrounding the pitch. We hardly need to speculate further about any injury that could have resulted because the potential consequences are limitless.

There is a reason a mid-air hit or a spear tackle in rugby is at least a sin-bin offence, because the consequences of a heavy fall can be so great. Holgate had no control over what happened to Firmino after his push, he did not know whether he was going to nimbly leap the obstacle or career head first into it. He did not know if he would land on the other side with a bruised ego or a broken neck.

That was why, in the part of Firmino’s outburst that can be understood, he asked Holgate, ‘Es maluco?’ It means: ‘Are you crazy?’

But Holgate isn’t crazy. He’s not even that exceptional in a sport that has never taken violence as seriously as lesser acts. All anyone needs to know about football’s tolerance of violent play is that Roy Keane received a heavier ban (five games) for writing about an atrocious tackle on Alf Inge Haaland in his autobiography than he did for actually perpetrating it (three games).

David Elleray having issued a straight red card, the FA thought they could take no further action at the time. But when Keane detailed the incident in lurid terms, admitting he meant it, they sprang into action.

So while a panel now sits to pore over accusations of simulation, there are no repercussions for behaviour that could have consequences considerably further reaching than a dodgy penalty.

Outsiders new to our game are mystified by this. Ask Pep Guardiola whether he is more vexed by Wilfried Zaha going to ground easily or the Jason Puncheon tackle that could have broken Kevin De Bruyne’s leg.

Yet, once the final whistle blows, incidences of violence are considered to be over. Even when a player, Iain Hume of Barnsley, ended up in an induced coma, the FA could not bring themselves to consider further action against Chris Morgan, his assailant. What are they frightened of? And if brain damage did not challenge this flawed reasoning, what will?

So now, while an investigations team grinds into action to unravel the claim and counter-claim of what Firmino said to Holgate, an open and shut case against a player who could have caused serious physical injury to an opponent is ignored. And, yes, racism has been responsible for extremes of misery and suffering through the centuries and must be addressed. But mindless acts of violence are no lesser crime.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5247995/Would-FA-act-Roberto-Firmino-broken-neck.html

Yet, once the final whistle blows, incidences of violence are considered to be over. Even when a player, Iain Hume of Barnsley, ended up in an induced coma, the FA could not bring themselves to consider further action against Chris Morgan, his assailant. What are they frightened of? And if brain damage did not challenge this flawed reasoning, what will?

It's the "farm accident" mentality. Just something that is unfortunate even if it's tragic rather than being considered criminal.

The FA culture is rooted in sometime about 1958 if not earlier and on pre-mediated football violence they fear the precedent more than anything else.

I reckon Bobby wasn't propelled over the hoarding.... he made a meal of it IMO.

Martin Samuel is a c&^t of the highest order but he has written a good piece on the Firmino incident.

Would the FA act on violence if Roberto Firmino had broken his neck?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5247995/Would-FA-act-Roberto-Firmino-broken-neck.html

he could have been killed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

gafferino wrote: »

Excellent news.

I think Ox will start, maybe even in the Cout role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Augeo wrote: »

Are you joking, the biggest push wasn't when they were going towards the line but when they were gone over the line, it should fall under different rules as they weren't even on the pitch

Nope, I'm not joking.
    As big as the push was Bobby made a mountain out if it IMO.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    How is telling his team mates he wants to to go sulking? It's just a matter of fact.

Sulking would have shown its head in his performances but he was top notch so he was clearly not sulking.

There is no victim in this deal, Coutinho got his dream move and the club got a hell of a lot of money for him.

It's part of football. VVD did the exact same with his move.

I have learnt not to get upset about these things when Torres left. Thought he was a part of Liverpool and connected to it but he clearly wasn't.
    It will happen again, so you'd better prepare yourself.

It's a business transaction at the end of the day.

Yes I completely agree. But I am not going to have some sort of Romanticism about the whole thing by saying he may come back here some day. He played for us and did well and we got a huge profit for him. But now he is gone and I dont give a sh!t about him. He is just another player playing for another team now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

How typically contrarian of you.

He was clearly pushed with force rather than a nudge.

Glico Man wrote: »
    How typically contrarian of you.

He was clearly pushed with force rather than a nudge.

That accepted IMO he made a meal of it.

Nope, I'm not joking.

wow

I said that it probably wasnt a red card but fffs................... yea he felt arms on his back so he decided to lunge into the crowd yea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

The FA have done it in the past with Ben Thatcher, it was far more serious as Mendes was knocked out after Thatcher elbow and he went into the advertising boards. I say Firmino was luck it was the old small wooden advertising boards and not the electronic one he was pushed towards.

wow

I said that it probably wasnt a red card but fffs................... yea he felt arms on his back so he decided to lunge into the crowd yea?

I sometimes wonder.

He was pushed. Not enough to out him where he ended up.

IMO of course.

• Advertisement

Nope, I'm not joking.

I had to watch it again because I was in disbelief of the opinion, I still am, there is a push going towards the line but when Firmino is out over the line there is much stronger shove. I can't see how anyone who's momentum is already carrying them towards the crowd could have stopped themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

So Firmino just thought it'd look cool to risk injuring himself and some fans?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Vicxas wrote: »
    Excellent news.

I think Ox will start, maybe even in the Cout role.

Yep I was thinking the same myself. Ox has played well of light and I think has earned a starting spot.

I expect to see Can, Wiji and Ox in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

What rubbish. If Firminho wanted to make a meal out of Holgate pushing him over the hoarding then all he had to do was stay lying in the crowd feigning injury and Holgate was getting a red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Rodgers could easily land Barcelona job next. Could do what he has done at Celtic there just as easily..

• Advertisement

So Firmino just thought it'd look cool to risk injuring himself and some fans?:confused:

Did I say that?

Do you / ye understand what making a meal if it means?

I'm thinking maybe some if ye don't.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    What rubbish. If Firminho wanted to make a meal out of Holgate pushing him over the hoarding then all he had to do was stay lying in the crowd and Holgate was getting a red.

That would be taking the p1ss unless he was hurt.

He just made a meal if it, IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

That accepted IMO he made a meal of it.

View it again, he is nudged 1st and was off balance then another two handed push, that is on a slight decline and astro turf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Was easier to go over it, harder to stop. He did choose to go over though, easier option at that speed. Still no need to push him and force him into that situation.

....He did choose to go over though, easier option at that speed. ..

Indeed.
    He wasn't propelled over it by the push as per the comment in the article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Did I say that?

Do you / ye understand what making a meal if it means?

I'm thinking maybe some if ye don't.

Honestly I think you're talking brown just to be argumentative, everybody else says what Holgate did was bad, so you have to think it actually wasn't that bad and Firmino made it look worse than it was.

But that's just IMO.

haha

View it again, he is nudged 1st and was off balance then another two handed push, that is on a slight decline and astro turf

My opinion is unchanged.

Ye don't seem to handle opinions well in here unless they agree with everyone else.

Honestly I think you're talking brown just to be argumentative, everybody else says what Holgate did was bad, so you have to think it actually wasn't that bad and Firmino made it look worse than it was.

But that's just IMO.

Did I say it wasn't bad?
    I said Bobby made a meal of it.

Honestly chaps... tut tut

BTW... the ref wasn't bothered by it iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Try stopping your momentum when you're already running and get a full shove in the back (when you're already a full yard off the field of play). There is only one place you're going and that is straight over the nearest obstacle.

Happened to me once playing football and I went arse over tit over a wooden fence. Landed in the hedge behind. At least it wasn't concrete I landed on.

• Advertisement

My opinion is unchanged.

Ye don't seem to handle opinions well in here unless they agree with everyone else.

Imo you are winding us up

Nope, I'm not joking.

Lets have another look at that, bearing in mind all Firmino knew was that he was suddenly launched from the pitch over a wall into a crowd and as such was not enjoying the luxury of a detached Augeo who was sat at home on the couch.

Anyone who has ever been violently shoved or had their legs taken from under them will know the moment of red mist that follows.

Try stopping your momentum when you're already running and get a full shove in the back (when you're already a full yard off the field of play). There is only one place you're going and that is straight over the nearest obstacle.

Happened to me once playing football and I went arse over tit over a wooden fence. Landed in the hedge behind. At least it wasn't concrete I landed on.

I disagree :)

What happened you once isn't a template for all other instances... if you think rationally about it .

Anyone who has ever been violently shoved or had their legs taken from under them will know the moment of red mist that follows.

What do you mean by the above?
    I'm only talking about the push and how I reckon Bobby exaggerated the effect it had.

The red mist is a different issue.

Fine have it your way - you're on your own until Lucky Lloyd comes along.

sword1 wrote: »

Not at all.

Fine have it your way - you're on your own until Lucky Lloyd comes along.

I'm not overly bothered to be quite honest :)
    I don't air opinions in the hope all will agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

sword1 wrote: »

It seems he's doubled down on being contrary, argumentative and taking the anti-Liverpool stance since I called him out on his "allegiance" yesterday.

Clearly not a Liverpool fan and just some united (or other fan) with far too much time on his hands trying to play a long-con, meme-esque character on an unremarkable soccer forum.

Not at all.

It is a slow news day to be fair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Sweet mother of Jesus

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement