Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

IIEQls.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Glico Man wrote: »
    It seems he's doubled down on being contrary, argumentative and taking the anti-Liverpool stance since I called him out on his "allegiance" yesterday.

Clearly not a Liverpool fan and just some united (or other fan) with far too much time on his hands trying to play a long-con, meme-esque character on an unremarkable soccer forum.

To be fair I think he is a Liverpool fan. He has been around for awhile. I just think he likes to argue. No problem with that though. You dont need to agree with him. If you think he is winding you up just dont take the bait

It seems he's doubled down on being contrary, argumentative and taking the anti-Liverpool stance since I called him out on his "allegiance" yesterday.

Clearly not a Liverpool fan and just some united (or other fan) with far too much time on his hands trying to play a long-con, meme-esque character on an unremarkable soccer forum.

Oh my.
    I admire the respect you have for your own posts, rest assured they've no impact on what I post here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Not even sure how Firmino made a meal of it. He pretty much hopped up as soon as he could to confront Holgate. Not like he laid there for 5 minutes. Remarkable restraint actually just shouting abuse at him. I'd have tried to chin him because that was flat out dangerous and reckless.

Anyway enough time spent on that nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Augeo wrote: »
    Did I say it wasn't bad?
    I said Bobby made a meal of it.

Honestly chaps... tut tut

BTW... the ref wasn't bothered by it iirc.

I've no idea how you feel he made a meal of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

You can’t compare the stats between the two, they are in different positions.
    And the eye test from watching every game is that Wijnaldum (playing in a more preferred position than No6) has not played well.
    The stats are a comparison to relative to their own performance levels in previous seasons. 2015/16 -> 2016/17 -> 2017/18 has been a downward trajectory for Henderson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

noodler wrote: »
    I've no idea how you feel he made a meal of it.

That's the point actually - his opinion is completely unsubstantiated and therefore just an idle comment unworthy of retort :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

I'm not overly bothered to be quite honest :)
    I don't air opinions in the hope all will agree.

Fair enough, but when it gets to the stage that you think everyone else is wrong it can be good to look in the mirror

That's the point actually - his opinion is completely unsubstantiated and therefore just an idle comment unworthy of retort :).

I think he wasn't pushed / propelled over the hoarding. I think he decided to go over it rather than not :)

As born tobewild mentioned

First time I've seen anyone mention Firmino made a meal of it. Even the bitter Everton/Utd fans didn't say that.

Not a hope was that a serious post.

• Advertisement

sword1 wrote: »
    Fair enough, but when it gets to the stage that you think everyone else is wrong it can be good to look in the mirror

Everyone else?
    A selection of posters on here who I don't know from Adam?

To be fair noones opinion here actually matters. lets be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I think Augeo is just annoyed Firmino has proved to be the main man ahead of his boy Sturridge.

MD1990 wrote: »
    I think Augeo is just annoyed Firmino has proved to be the main man ahead of his boy Sturridge.

Oh my.
    Now that is a loony view, IMO

I'm not at all annoyed BTW, that should be clearly evident from my ongoing politeness etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Calling Turty!

Speaking of whom I wonder with Coutinho gone and no obvious plans to replace him this window if he'll be kept just on the off-chance he'll be fit enough to play. Woodburns move hasn't happened yet, maybe for the same reason ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

My opinion is unchanged.

Ye don't seem to handle opinions well in here unless they agree with everyone else.

Firmino did well to stay on his feet and the momentum required him to put hands on barrier and ride over it. Could have been nasty had he not managed to stay on feet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Ding-ding-ding we have a winner.

Fingers crossed for a ban so Sturridge can come back in too. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Did I say that?

Do you / ye understand what making a meal if it means?

I'm thinking maybe some if ye don't.
    My opinion is unchanged.

Ye don't seem to handle opinions well in here unless they agree with everyone else.

This is not the case. Either way, you are expected to defend your opinion when challenged and to not keep posting the same thing over and over and you need to dial back the personal tone of your posts. You have been warned about this.

For everyone, the thread needs to move on, so please let's not dissect the Firmino push further. (Posts from the recent exchange may be deleted as part of a thread clean up).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

So,

Predictions for Sunday?

We haven't beaten a good team all season. Unless you include arsenal so I can't see us beating city.

You'd imagine we'll miss coutinho.

I think man city will quite likely win. They've only dropped 4 league points so far iirc.

• Advertisement

I think we can win it 2-0. Mane back among the goals and one from Firmino. I think all the attention will be on keeping Salah locked down so it should free up the other two. City will probably control most of the midfield play but if we can stay disciplined at the back I think we can catch them on the break if they misplace any passes.

Migs, Gomez, Matip, Van Djik, Robertson, Can, Henderson, Wjini, Firmino, Mane, Salah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Vicxas wrote: »
    So,

Predictions for Sunday?

An exact reversal of the previous tie. City to start well but not score, we go ahead through Firmino, then de Bruyne sent off for nearly beheading Mignolet with a high boot.

We run riot and the game finishes 5-0. We then continue on the exact run that City showed after the first tie, steamrolling everyone in our path (except Palace).

---

In reality, though, a high energy game that comes down to whichever side starts stronger. If City get an early goal, I can see it being difficult to get back into the game. They could very well bypass our midfield if we don't start well on the day.

That said, our attack can punish anyone on its day and this City defence is not impenetrable. The important thing for us is to take whatever chances fall to us as City are good at keeping chances conceded to an absolute minimum.

In previous seasons, we've excelled in these games against the top sides but that hasn't been the case this season - the Arsenal games have been mental and United drab, but we were poor against City and Spurs in the first half of the season so it is hard to know exactly which Liverpool to expect.

Add to that the fact that Coutinho has been sold and while we can speculate all we like about tactical implications, we don't know what sort of psychological impact that has had on the rest of the side. It might be the very thing to spur Oxlade-Chamberlain on or could be totally deflating for Firmino, for e.g.

Whatever the result, you can be 100% guaranteed that the media will put it all down to Van Dijk and Coutinho. We keep a clean sheet and Van Dijk will be a hit, we concede a sloppy goal and it'll be all on the narrative that he was never the fix. If we score, it's Phil who? and if we don't, the sale will be the point our entire season collapsed, all conveniently ignoring the fact that we're playing the best side in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

If Solanke starts we're pretty much fcked, hopefully Firmino is free to play and Salah fit, still be a tall order to get the win.

With De Bruyne injured i think some of their killer instinct will have dissipated.

I'd live with a draw, but a win would be some sweet, sweet sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

EDIT never mind didn't see mod note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

With De Bruyne injured i think some of their killer instinct will have dissipated.

I'd live with a draw, but a win would be some sweet, sweet sauce.

De Bruyne isn’t injured

Benimar wrote: »
    De Bruyne isn’t injured

Yes, i seen that now.

Thought he was out for a few weeks, but it looks like its just Jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Thought he was out for a few weeks, but it looks like its just Jesus.

....and knowing our luck you just know he'll have some sort of miraculous resurrection in time for kick off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

x43r0 wrote: »
    ....and knowing our luck you just know he'll have some sort of miraculous resurrection in time for kick off

I think we'll be alright, word is the poor lad might miss the World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

2-1 City for me I'm afraid. I won't be too sore about a loss given their ridiculous form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

dfx- wrote: »
    This is not the case. Either way, you are expected to defend your opinion when challenged and to not keep posting the same thing over and over and you need to dial back the personal tone of your posts. You have been warned about this.

For everyone, the thread needs to move on, so please let's not dissect the Firmino push further. (Posts from the recent exchange may be deleted as part of a thread clean up).

So we can't discuss the push on Bobby becuase of one poster being contrarian? That's a slippery slope, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Nope, I'm not joking.
    As big as the push was Bobby made a mountain out if it IMO.
    How typically contrarian of you.

He was clearly pushed with force rather than a nudge.

I honestly think the whole thing is fairly trivial, and am a little surprised at how much attention its garnering.

People have been shoved worse in games.

Edit: Ah, I see there was quite the discussion on this already. I definitely agree he could have stopped himself from going over the top. But it was safer for him to do so, such was his momentum, rather than just use the hoarding to stop. The first barge from Holgate, the one that happened on the pitch prior to that, was actually more forceful.

Anyway, I think its a mountain out of a molehill tbh.

Knex. wrote: »
    I honestly think the whole thing is fairly trivial, and am a little surprised at how much attention its garnering.

People have been shoved worse in games.

Surely have but not usually when running at pace towards the crowd and then shoved in their back whilst being all ready off balance.
    Can't recall such an instance before. Unprovoked too.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Surely have but not usually when running at pace towards the crowd and then shoved in their back whilst being all ready off balance.
    Can't recall such an instance before. Unprovoked too.

I mean, I think Holgate is an asshat for doing it, but talks of red cards, suspensions, or potentially injuring Firmino I think are a bit sensationalist tbh.

Doubt we'd give a damn if one of Liverpool's players did it to an Everton. We'd probably have a gif of it doing the rounds and be delighted. I literally would not have thought about the push once if it wasn't for it being brought up so often here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Nope, I'm not joking.
    As big as the push was Bobby made a mountain out if it IMO.

I really don't think he made a meal of it. He was shouldered over the line, and then pushed two handed forwards and down. You can see him trying to recover his balance and stop at the same time before he goes over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Knex. wrote: »
    I mean, I think Holgate is an asshat for doing it, but talks of red cards, suspensions, or potentially injuring Firmino I think are a bit sensationalist tbh.

Doubt we'd give a damn if one of Liverpool's players did it to an Everton. We'd probably have a gif of it doing the rounds and be delighted. I literally would not have thought about the push once if it wasn't for it being brought up so often here.

It's not as such the push now, as you say if the push happened and that was it everyone would have forgotten about it.

Every player would probably have reacted like Firmino shouting at the player who pushed him but it's the circus that has become of it due to Holgate's accusation.

Madley was right in between Firmino and Holgate when Firmino started shouting. The N word is obvious in every language so if Madley has said he didn't hear it being said shouldn't that be enough to close this case??

The only Everton player in the vicinity of the situation is Kenny who doesn't show any reaction to what Firmino has said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I dunno, it was a bit reckless. I think that's a fair assessment of the incident and deserving of at least a yellow
    Watch any game at the weekend and the majority of booked offences won't be near as bad as that.
    Think we should move on because it's exhausted but we shouldn't be directed to move on.

Definitely a yellow when you consider players have been sent off for a second yellow card when celebrating a goal because they've taken their shirt off!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Saw there was a fair few pages since last night, expected news on a signing, instead I find a lot of dribble about the push on Firmino.

Disappointed, on both counts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Don't know it this has already been posted but I used to rate Danny Murphy as a pundit but this is utter tripe
    “I’m not sure (about Naby Keita), from what I’ve seen. Subconsciously you can look like you’ve downed tools when you’re protecting yourself a little bit, I wouldn’t judge him on that. I don’t know him well enough to say that.

“What I would say is he’s obviously very athletic, got a lot of qualities – a bit like Jordan Henderson has. Professional, good athlete, does his job really, really well.

“But he isn’t creative enough if you want to challenge for the title and the Champions League. Someone like Gerrard, Souness, Alonso, Mascherano – these type of players."

Lol. What was that next gen stat he excelled at? Packing, or something equally oddly named. Basically where he consistently takes players out of the game by making them commit, and either dribbling or passing through them.

Solid research, Danny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Fairly embarrassing to leave Lucas out of his list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

They should start pulling football nerds in to be pundits. Theyd know more and despite being possibly socially awkward stuttering geeks, they'd still be more charismatic than some of these ex player pundits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

x43r0 wrote: »
    Don't know it this has already been posted but I used to rate Danny Murphy as a pundit but this is utter tripe

He has, one million percent, never seen Naby Keita play a minute of football. There is no doubt about that.

Careful lads, don't discuss Danny Murphy view of Naby too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Grayditch wrote: »
    They should start pulling football nerds in to be pundits. Theyd know more and despite being possibly socially awkward stuttering geeks, they'd still be more charismatic than some of these ex player pundits.

They had the European football show on BT with 3 journalists Laurens,Honigstein & Horncastle.

It was a great watch much better than some of the ex pro's with the same cliches every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Punditry is more about keeping ex-players in jobs than actually giving good analysis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

They had the European football show on BT with 3 journalists Laurens,Honigstein & Horncastle.

It was a great watch much better than some of the ex pro's with the same cliches every week.

Obviously the powers that be seem to think you need to have played in the premier league to be able to analyse it.

Reminds me of the great Sacchi quote when journalists questioned his credentials to be a manager.
    I never realised that in order to become a jockey you have to have been a horse first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Talisman wrote: »
    The stats are a comparison to relative to their own performance levels in previous seasons. 2015/16 -> 2016/17 -> 2017/18 has been a downward trajectory for Henderson.
    Yes, in the 6 role, which may be the toughest position in Klopps formation.
    Henderson isn’t ideal for the role, he’s just the best one we currently have for it.
    It doesn’t mask that Wijnaldum has been poor, and would be in a serious fight for his place come the start of next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Might lighten the mood a bit....

When I'm Liverpool Everton 3rd Round Edition :

https://imgtc.com/w/BcUA3y7

Fieldog wrote: »
    Might lighten the mood a bit....

When I'm Liverpool Everton 3rd Round Edition :

https://imgtc.com/w/BcUA3y7

Christ i love these

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.