Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Here is one for you..
    47E3966400000578-0-image-a-4_1515411023149.jpg

That could be anywhere. Strange there is not one official pic of them every been in Dubai. Usually so many photos of them at airport with fans everywhere.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5252177/Roberto-Firmino-referee-did-NOT-hear-race-slur.html

Accompanied after the game by manager Sam Allardyce and director of football Steve Walsh, Holgate complained to Madley that Firmino had used the word 'negro'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

So we offered €70m not the £90m that every respected and not respected Journo said and Monaco excepted that €70m not £90m then what we changed our mind and said nah we don't really want him we might come back in January or next summer?
    From what I read we offered something in the region of £65.5M + addons, at the time that equated to €70M plus addons. Liverpool's offer was gazumped by Arsenal's crazy money offer and the player reportedly declined to joined them because he preferred Liverpool.

Spin it what ever way you choose.
    Cool you learn something every day.
    Maybe you should try practising your spelling instead of being a smart ass. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I saw them posting that Allo Madrid nonsense on his Facebook picture with Danny Ings he posted, the tapping up has begun via their fans has begun already and he's only here a few months...

I'm sure if Lemar post's anything on his social media these days he is getting YNWA so swings and roundabouts, tis the modern game unfortunately...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Talisman wrote: »
    From what I read we offered something in the region of £65.5M + addons, at the time that equated to €70M plus addons. Liverpool's offer was gazumped by Arsenal's crazy money offer and the player reportedly declined to joined them because he preferred Liverpool.

Spin it what ever way you choose.

Maybe you should try practising your spelling instead of being a smart ass. :)

Cool your a grammar nazi as well I really did learn something new today.

Anyone want a laugh

https://twitter.com/DiMarzio/status/950867250151555072

hardly needs translating.

''Real Madrid wants to respond to the purchase of Coutinho of Barcelona always going to fishy fish among the Liverpool players of Klopp: Mohamed Salah has indeed been fishing, included in the list of players judged "galacticos". It will therefore try to tempt the fish attacker former Rome: the will is to respond to the purchase of Coutinho by historical fish rivals.''

Seem's we are a pond for Real and Barca to fish from .

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5252177/Roberto-Firmino-referee-did-NOT-hear-race-slur.html

Accompanied after the game by manager Sam Allardyce and director of football Steve Walsh, Holgate complained to Madley that Firmino had used the word 'negro'.

Firmino not travelling with the squad is really strange IMO. If he did say that there seems to be little or no proof due to the camera being blocked and the ref not hearing it.

Be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Augeo wrote: »
    Firmino not travelling with the squad is really strange IMO. If he did say that there seems to be little or no proof due to the camera being blocked and the ref not hearing it.

Be grand.

Or how about the ref didn't hear it because it wasn't said! FFS the ref has it in his report that he did not hear a racial comment and he was right in between the two players.

He didn't travel because the club probably expected the FA to call Firmino sooner to get his side of events.

How about Holgate being investigated for false allegations which could damage a mans reputation personally and professionally??

Another contrarian post.:rolleyes:

Real could come very strongly for Salah, 200m pounds strongly.

• Advertisement

Does Salah have a release clause?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

dogbert27 wrote: »

I don't think so... I don't think any of our players do, thankfully.
    Refusing to allow Can one was put forward as the reason for him not signing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Nope
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I don't think so... I don't think any of our players do, thankfully.
    Refusing to allow Can one was put forward as the reason for him not signing.

Firmino has a release clause of £83m and a condition that the buying club cannot be Arsenal (at John W Henry's insistence). Obviously since 2015 the world has gone mad so it needs raising to say 300m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Nope

Firmino has a release clause of £83m and a condition that the buying club cannot be Arsenal (at John W Henry's insistence). Obviously since 2015 the world has gone mad so it needs raising to say 300m

Think it's time he got a new contract...

On the basis that Salah scores more than twice as many league goals and approximately the same amount of assists as Coutinho, 200M would be well off the mark. Juventus will use a similar template for valuing Dybala if a club try to sign him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Holgate should be fined and banned for inciting racial tensions the dirty little ****bag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

FFS stop with this ****e would ya,have you not had enough with the coutinho crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Holgate should be fined and banned for inciting racial tensions the dirty little ****bag
    He should be fined and banned for dangerous conduct.

The comment,I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and accept it was misheard.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

There is not a chance of Leonid Goretexta signing.

There must be something.in it when the Bayern deal ain't announced yet,if it's reverse jinx fair play

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Anyone want a laugh

235m will do the job.

He should be fined and banned for dangerous conduct.

The comment,I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and accept it was misheard.

He won't be fined or banned because the FA deem that the referee has seen it and decided that no action was required therefore that situation is closed.

However even though the referee has it in his report that he heard no racial comment from Firmino and he was in between the two players Holgate brought Allardyce and Steve Walsh to Madley after the game insisting he was racially abused.

Why can the FA not accept the referee was between the two players and heard nothing said to what has been claimed from the referee's report just like they accept that no further action is required with regard the push because the referee saw that and did nothing about that either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Anyone want a laugh

Calciomercato | Il Real Madrid vuole rispondere al Barça: nel mirino Salah
    Il Real Madrid vuole rispondere all'acquisto di Coutinho del Barcellona andando sempre a pescare tra i giocatori del Liverpool

It does for me as I don't know a word of French...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Anyone want a laugh

im gonna be a grumpy old git here and say - it does - It definately needs translating.

Because its NOT IN ENGLISH!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

235m will do the job.

Anything near £150m and you'd have to sell him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

ardinn wrote: »
    im gonna be a grumpy old git here and say - it does - It definately needs translating.

Because its NOT IN ENGLISH!!!!

A wee bit of deductive reasoning and common sense tells me that "after their acquisto of Coutinho, Real Madrid will rispondere to their rivali's Barcelona, by something something Salah" - (it's probably not "buy him a nice steak dinner")

Acquisto, Rispondere, rivali... sure its practically english, only foreigner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    A wee bit of deductive reasoning and common sense tells me that "after their acquisto of Coutinho, Real Madrid will rispondere to their rivali's Barcelona, by something something Salah" - (it's probably not "buy him a nice steak dinner")

Acquisto, Rispondere, rivali... sure its practically english, only foreigner.

So I get the gist of it, but why did they keep naming different types of pasta during the sentence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Why would Madrid want to kill Mo Salah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Thud

noodler wrote: »

or bring him fishing?

noodler wrote: »
    Thud wrote: »
    or bring him fishing?
    Have you seen The Sopranos?

i-have-a-boat-but-i-dont-use-it-for-fishing.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    Anything near £150m and you'd have to sell him.

200m.

At the rate he is scoring he will reach Coutinho's goal return in 5 years after 1.5 years at the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Coutinho started his LFC tenure with all the goal threat of Titus Bramble on ketamine and finished it scoring for fun. Salah started with us by scoring for fun, knowing our luck you just know it’s going to balance out. Yin and yang and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Ooooo, that's gonna ruffle a few feathers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I really didn't want to start disliking Rodgers as a person, but he really is a smug b*****d.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Tommy Lawrence keeper of the nets for Liverpool as they moved towards becoming a top side has died aged 77. Nice video from a couple of years ago as he gets stopped in the street and asked about an FA Cup game he played :D

Rendan Bodgers has a right to speak. Coutinho knows his importance, he had a free role to express under Bodgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

The Daily Mail (I know, I know...) report that Barca are starting a clear out to raise money after the Coutinho purchase. Lists eight players heading for the door: Aleix Vidal, Gerard Deulofeu, Paco Alcacer, Jose Arnaiz, Denis Suarez, Javier Mascherano, Arda Turan and Andre Gomes.

Any of these worth a look?

While the nostalgia fan in me would love to see Mascherano back, I can't imagine it'd be a good idea at this stage of his career. Turan was always linked during his Atletico days but the move to Barca seem to kill his momentum. He turns 31 before the end of the month so he's far from passed it and his experience is good but I don't watch enough of La Liga to know if he's worth a second look.

Wouldn't know enough about the rest really only to know that most of them were signed in recent years which really shows how poor Barca's transfer strategy has been in recent seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Rendan Bodgers has a right to speak. Coutinho knows his importance, he had a free role to express under Bodgers.

That fine ... But I dont think anyone questioned the purchase from Inter at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Any of these worth a look?

Surely the best time to suss that out would have been during negotiations. Going back to Barca now and trying to negotiate something...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Vietto got a hattrick in his first game for Valencia last night. He only joined them on loan the other day. One goal from about 45 yards out too!

He was completely off the boil for Atletico in recent times, but prior to that I always thought he looked like he could be a great player. He was, and perhaps is, very highly touted. Fairly sure I've mentioned him/we've had discussions about him on here before in previous transfer windows.

He'll likely sign for Valencia now if he does well, but I would be interested in seeing him in the PL, and with Liverpool. Could be a relatively cheap option who can play the central role, but also is happy being part of a fluid forward line and moving into channels etc. He's played out wide a bit before too.

Still only 24, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Charlie19 wrote: »

Wasn't Coutinho scouted for years by the club I thought before joining?

Or how about the ref didn't hear it because it wasn't said! FFS the ref has it in his report that he did not hear a racial comment and he was right in between the two players.

He didn't travel because the club probably expected the FA to call Firmino sooner to get his side of events.

How about Holgate being investigated for false allegations which could damage a mans reputation personally and professionally??

Another contrarian post.:rolleyes:

I said IF.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Exactly because he created an atmosphere where he was a friend first and boss second. Probably an entertainer third.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

While the nostalgia fan in me would love to see Mascherano back, I can't imagine it'd be a good idea at this stage of his career.

Mascherano already signed for a club in China, Phil got his squad number

Augeo wrote: »
    I said IF.... :)

Is IF the new IMO? :pac:

Last thing we need is 5 players to replace one. Our squad is very strong now, all we need is direct replacement for Coutinho, and if possible replace another current first teamer like Mignolet. We can't be buying squad players at this stage of the project, we're past that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Is Jurgen Klopp now in his element?
    Date published: Tuesday 9th January 2018 4:40

http://www.football365.com/news/f365-says-is-jurgen-klopp-liverpool-not-in-his-element-now

“It is not a Big Six – it is a three and a three. It feels to me like City, United and Chelsea are breaking away from Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham for pure economic reasons,” said former Liverpool managing director Christian Purslow on Sky Sports. “Manchester United are shopping at Harrods – I do not know why he is making excuses by the way – Liverpool need to start shopping at Harrods rather than just selling the good ones.”

Purslow was at least half-right, which some Liverpool supporters might consider above his usual average. The latest annual Deloitte money league has Liverpool ranked fifth in the Premier League. They also ranked fifth for their wage bill in 2016/17, £64m behind Manchester United. It might seem hard to believe having just paid a world-record fee for a defender, but Liverpool do not have the economic might of the Manchester clubs and Chelsea. These are facts, as Rafael Benitez might say.

The sale of Philippe Coutinho also nods to that. Many Liverpool supporters are disillusioned with the sale of a key player, but the truth is that this was a club accepting reality, not admitting weakness. There is a financial food chain within football that is possible to postpone – as Liverpool did in the summer – but never indefinitely. Barcelona buy from Liverpool, Liverpool buy from Southampton and Southampton buy from Anderlecht or Porto. The Premier League’s financial clout allows our clubs to jump the queue ahead of the biggest and best in other countries, but nobody jumps above the apex predators.

Add Coutinho’s South American heritage (like many others at Barcelona) to his desire to win league titles and Champions League trophies to conjure a losing battle; Coutinho wanted Barcelona and was not prepared to entertain any other future. At that point it became when, not if, he would leave.

Part of the frustration amongst supporters surrounds the timing of the move. Should Liverpool slip away from a top-four place and fall back into the Europa League, that decision will be pinpointed as the moment things began to unravel. It is indeed a gamble.

And yet we have seen at Arsenal and Southampton this season the dangers in keeping unwanted players. Alexis Sanchez’s form has been inconsistent at best, while Southampton squeezed an extra £20m for Virgil van Dijk but are 17th in the Premier League and crying out for new players. Van Dijk started two league wins for Southampton in his last year at the club.

Instead, Liverpool sold a player for his highest possible price and avoided the scenario of a want-away player spoiling the morale of the squad. That isn’t illogical; quite the opposite. Liverpool have received the second highest transfer fee ever for a player who wouldn’t get in a World XI.

The problem comes not in the sale, but how Liverpool reinvest the proceeds. If the signings of Van Dijk and Naby Keita represent that reinvestment, there is again logic to that strategy. Liverpool’s central defence is not fit for purpose, Jordan Henderson is a central midfielder with limitations and Emre Can may well join Juventus on a Bosman deal in the summer. These are problem positions.

If Liverpool and Jurgen Klopp will indeed have a bumper pot of money to spend, this club knows only too well the dangers of shopping with full pockets and empty stomachs. The funds from the sale of Luis Suarez were squandered, while Liverpool waited a matter of minutes before putting aside 70% of their Fernando Torres money to buy Andy Carroll.

There is also the problem of other clubs knowing Liverpool have money to spend, and increasing their asking prices accordingly. Yet that seems like a bit of a myth. Liverpool could have afforded far more than £35m on Mohamed Salah last summer, and yet Roma agreed to that fee. The use of effective scouting techniques and efficient negotiations can help clubs avoid paying over the odds. If a selling club does indeed begin to behave unreasonably, a sensible and well-structured club should have two or three alternatives. In the case of Van Dijk, Klopp simply decided it was him or nothing, and Liverpool backed him.

Of course, Klopp is the key individual in all this. After all, this is precisely the situation for which he was appointed by Liverpool. Make players better, sell them high and maintain improvement to bridge the gap to the financial elite. Klopp has made that his forte.

In the summer of 2011, Klopp sold Nuri Sahin to Real Madrid and signed Ilkay Gundogan for £5m before retaining the Bundesliga title at Borussia Dortmund ahead of Bayern Munich. A year later, he sold Shinji Kagawa to Manchester United and bought Marco Reus for £15m, subsequently taking Dortmund to the Champions League final. In the summer of 2013, he sold Mario Gotze to Bayern Munich and signed Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang for the same money. Klopp did not just accept the reality in Germany, he embraced and thrived in it.

Crucially, none of those players taken from Dortmund by apex predators in Germany, England or Spain ever performed as magnificently away from Klopp. There is a certain paradox to clubs paying vast fees for players based on their performance under other coaches with different approaches to both football and man-management.

Klopp would always back himself to bring the best out of his signings. Warm relationships with those Klopp coached at Mainz or Borussia Dortmund have survived long beyond his or their departure from the clubs. In an interview with Goal’s Melissa Reddy, Klopp’s anger at a member of staff for not knowing that Andrew Robertson was due to become a father is mentioned. If you do not connect with a player, how can you expect him to commit to your vision? The minutiae matters.

Klopp is an exception in the modern game. While three or four years is the typical expiry date on any manager at a top-six club, Klopp stayed at 1. FSV Mainz 05 for seven years, spent the same amount of time at Dortmund and has stated a desire to do the same at Anfield. “If at the end of my career I only got to coach Mainz, Dortmund and Liverpool, then it will certainly have been three fantastic clubs,” he said in November 2016.

Clearly much depends on the club as well as the manager, and doubts remain in some circles about the efficacy of Liverpool’s transfer structure. Yet when Klopp was appointed, Ian Ayre was at pains to say that the manager would have the final decision on signings. That would seem to replicate Dortmund’s own hierarchy of sporting director Michael Zorc and two or three others who would decide upon targets. Again, a player would not be bought if Klopp said no.

Some of Liverpool’s succession planning is already in place. Salah was bought to create a front three that would allow Coutinho to drop deeper and become less vital. It is worth noting that Coutinho has failed to start 25 Premier League matches since February 2016. Liverpool’s record? Won 16, Drawn 7, Lost 2. Keita was also bought a year in advance because Liverpool were so sure that their manager was committed to the long-term picture.

The panic among Liverpool supporters – or at least a section of them – is forgivable. We have been hardwired to believe that any player leaving is an admission of weakness, and that only by tempting high-profile replacements can a club hope to keep up with the Joneses.

Yet amidst the understandable worries should be an appreciation that their manager is not panicking. Liverpool may have lost Coutinho but they have gained the opportunity to see the very best of Klopp. In fact, he’s in his element.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The more I think about it I wouldn't be too upset if we signed Lanzini as the attacking player he has shown he has talent and knows the league well.

The main thing would be getting him more consistent pretty much exactly what we all said about Coutinho needed to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Am I the only one who thinks anyone who will "Phil the role" will be someone who plays deeper. As in a center mid?

Klopp talked for ages about moving coutinho deeper and that's why we bought Salah. So surely any replacement will be someone who has the attributes to fit a midfield 3. Rather than a #10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Mr.H wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks anyone who will "Phil the role" will be someone who plays deeper. As in a center mid?

Klopp talked for ages about moving coutinho deeper and that's why we bought Salah. So surely any replacement will be someone who has the attributes to fit a midfield 3. Rather than a #10

Personally think Keita will play the advanced role and that they are quietly looking for a deeper playing midfielder. Goretzke/Kante style player...someone who can hold when needed and keep the play moving at speed when needed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement