Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gate Automation with Geo Fencing and Assistant

Options
  • 25-12-2017 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Was looking to automate a gate outside property.

WiFi won't reach out there , but as I've been googling it's difficult to find information.

Ideally would like the gates automated and be able to control them via the following mechanisms:

Google Home
    Hardware Button in house . Wondering would Amazon Dash button work for this.
    Hardware Button in Car

Also like the idea of geofencing so gates would open when approaching.

Zwave seems to be the main mechanism.
    Was wondering has anyone done this and what level of automation they have going on?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

If there's a button on the gate you have parallel a lightwaverf unit to it.

I've have that and all.the features you require on mine

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Stoner wrote: »
    If there's a button on the gate you have parallel a lightwaverf unit to it.

I've have that and all.the features you require mentioned

Thanks did you do it yourself?
    No button at moment , looking at either trying to automate existing gates or replace them altogether and get new gates in and automate.

What do you use for the hardware Button?

So I had a gate set up already.

There were two buttons on a phone system in the house as it had an intercom.

So lightwaverf has a LV relay single channel unit.

I paralleled it's connections from the open button to the contacts on the relay and paired the relay to my lightwaverf hub. So basically the old system was made smart.

Not many systems have the power and lv relays like lightwaverf, people slag off that the old gen is not state aware but it didn't bother me

So I had a gate set up already.

There were two buttons on a phone system in the house as it had an intercom.

So lightwaverf has a LV relay single channel unit.

I paralleled it's connections from the open button to the contacts on the relay and paired the relay to my lightwaverf hub. So basically the old system was made smart.

Not many systems have the power and lv relays like lightwaverf, people slag off that the old gen is not state aware but it didn't bother me

Thanks good to know it can be done. How do you open it when driving up from outside?

john_doe. wrote:
    Thanks good to know it can be done. How do you open it when driving up from outside?

I use the same remote that came with it.

I could use the app for lightwave or make an IFTTT button on my phone, or I guess Google assistant

But I just use the remote

Remember it's just a set of parallel options to open the gate. The gate operates on it's own without any smart interaction

• Advertisement

I use the same remote that came with it.

I could use the app for lightwave or make an IFTTT button on my phone, or I guess Google assistant

But I just use the remote

Remember it's just a set of parallel options to open the gate. The gate operates on it's own without any smart interaction

Thanks , all the automated double gates I've seen open both sides together , can they be opened individually do you know?

john_doe. wrote:
    Thanks , all the automated double gates I've seen open both sides together , can they be opened individually do you know?

I don't know sorry, I've seen just the one opening but I'd imagine it's more expensive

Mine is a sliding gate with two positions on it.

Thing to note here is that I've added other options to existing opening methods, but not new opening opening options if you get me

BTW

I don't but could use geofencing I'd imagine it would be too flakey with waiting to open and the 30 second timer etc.

john_doe. wrote:

I'm not sure sorry

Advertisement