Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDMI cable issue

Options
  • 26-12-2017 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

I'm in a newly built house and I had the foresight to run HDMI and USB cables from where the tv would hang to the base of the wall where DVD players etc. would be.

However, now that I'm actually connecting them up I've realized I have a pretty big problem. The HDMI cables are one way, as in one end is for the TV and the other is for DVD players, PS4, or whatever and their installed the wrong way! Maybe my electrician should have spotted this but I've never come across a HDMI cable like this before, nor do I see the point!

Is there anything I can do short of pulling the conduit clean out of the wall, reinstalling and replastering and painting? There's nowhere near enough room to pull another cable through. Is there an adapter or something to change it? Clutching at straws I know but it's so frustrating to think I might have to start again.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

I didn't know that HDMI were unidirectional

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

• Registered Users Posts: 73,460 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

For longer cables, this is a thing alright. There's circuitry built in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

skittles11 wrote: »
    I'm in a newly built house and I had the foresight to run HDMI and USB cables from where the tv would hang to the base of the wall where DVD players etc. would be.

However, now that I'm actually connecting them up I've realized I have a pretty big problem. The HDMI cables are one way, as in one end is for the TV and the other is for DVD players, PS4, or whatever and their installed the wrong way! Maybe my electrician should have spotted this but I've never come across a HDMI cable like this before, nor do I see the point!

Is there anything I can do short of pulling the conduit clean out of the wall, reinstalling and replastering and painting? There's nowhere near enough room to pull another cable through. Is there an adapter or something to change it? Clutching at straws I know but it's so frustrating to think I might have to start again.

Thanks in advance.

What do you mean 'they are installed the wrong way'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Post pics op

• Advertisement

Look like theyre the wrong way round in the house, i.e. The receiving end of the cable is where the source end should be and vice versa. Both plugs will look the same and will physically fit, but they won't work.

Example
    IMG_0310.jpg

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Look like theyre the wrong way round in the house, i.e. The receiving end of the cable is where the source end should be and vice versa. Both plugs will look the same and will physically fit, but they won't work.

Example
    IMG_0310.jpg

ah, right.

Short answer is that there is no other viable option other than pulling the old cables out.

It's strange that the HDMI cables are one-way. There's clearly no alternative but to rip it up. Unless you want to watch television lying on the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

I didn't know that HDMI were unidirectional

They are male to male.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

Do the old sellotape the new one to the old one and pull out trick? Perhaps?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

OP should have run Ethernet.

If it’s a cavity wall you could just take the skirting board off, make 2 holes in the wall and drop the new cables down.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭skittles11

To explain better, each cable has a blue end and a black end. The blue end is supposed to connect to the TV and the black end to other devices. So they were installed so the black end is up by the tv and the blue end is down at the base of the wall. Pictures attached.

To explain better, each cable has a blue end and a black end. The blue end is supposed to connect to the TV and the black end to other devices. So they were installed so the black end is up by the tv and the blue end is down at the base of the wall. Pictures attached.

5uspect wrote: »
    OP should have run Ethernet.

Funny enough, I did but in a different room! Didn't think this is where we'd spend most of our time. Live and learn!

Could it be that simple? Might be worth a try.

Was thinking, I might be able to sacrifice the 2 HDMI cable's and the USB in the conduit and pull through 1 micro HDMI then use a HDMI splitter or hub. Its a solid wall btw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

emo72 wrote: »

+1.
    Use pvc tape though.

Use bog standard hdmi.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

skittles11 wrote: »
    Funny enough, I did but in a different room! Didn't think this is where we'd spend most of our time. Live and learn!

You can send almost anything over Ethernet including power. There was no need to use HDMI when you could have set up an Ethernet switch, just get converter boxes at the required ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

emo72 wrote: »

Good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

As mentioned Ethernet cable is always good for jobs like this. Convertors either end and job done.

5uspect wrote: »
    You can send almost anything over Ethernet including power. There was no need to use HDMI when you could have set up an Ethernet switch, just get converter boxes at the required ends.

Didn't know that about the Ethernet cable, sounds like it may have been the better option. Then again, if they had have been like every other HDMI cable I've ever seen then I wouldn't have this problem!

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,012 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Buy a DIY hdmi cut the end of your existing tape the diy one to it pull through then terminate the new hdmi fitting on the end once pulled through. Done

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Did you try the cable out as is to see if it works?

Looks like a logik l3ahdm15 cable. I don't believe for a second it's actually directional.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

You almost certainly have ran coax to the tv also. So just buy a hdmi modulator (create's a hd mux) and send your signal through the coax.

Be cheaper than messing about with new hd cables.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

doylefe wrote: »
    Did you try the cable out as is to see if it works?

Looks like a logik l3ahdm15 cable. I don't believe for a second it's actually directional.

I have never heard of a directional HDMI cable to be honest and I have installed quite a few without any issues.
    Following a bit of Googleing, it only seems to matter if the cables selected are active. I assume that these are only used for long runs. With passive cables (most) I think it makes no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

2011 wrote: »
    I have never heard of a directional HDMI cable to be honest and I have installed quite a few without any issues.
    Following a bit of Googleing, it only seems to matter if the cables selected are active. I assume that these are only used for long runs. With passive cables (most) I think it makes no difference.

Yeah iv never come across one myself but one of the lads i work with says he has and they are usually on ones designed for long runs. Id usually use Cat5 or the likes and convertors.

My xbox one s has a hdmi where both ends are labeled. Im curious now to see if i switch it around will it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I've never ever heard of HDMI cables only working in one direction.

I'm 99.9999 percent certain that the colouring is for labelling reasons, so you won't mix up inputs and outputs to various screens from decent amps

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

They definitely can be directional if there is signal conditioning circuitry in one of the ends. No harm trying it out as is though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭newirishman

No need to rip out or replace the hdmi cables! These cables aren’t active, so does not matter.
    Seems to be short runs as well, so no problems with signal degradation.
    These are bog standard Highspeed cables with Ethernet (still have to find devices that actually use the Ethernet, so doesn’t matter) and work just fine regardless of where your tv is connected.
    Never heard about directional hdmi cables unless they’re active - and you only really use active for very long runs, if at all necessary even then.

Advertisement