Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To kill a mother-in-law

• 26-12-2017 3:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else gotten rid of the MIL yet, or are you still going through the persecution?

Thank fcuk mine is gone in the next few hours.

Anyone else suffering?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Charming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Ever watched Throw Mama from the Train.

Might get a few ideas there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

tiny timy wrote: »
    Has anyone else gotten rid of the MIL yet, or are you still going through the persecution?

Anyone else suffering?

There's NO getting rid of her. In fact, you've married her future self. Any year now... Something for you to look forward to. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

My wife's brother brought his new girlfriend home so I got away scot free from her ire this year. Happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I have a plan, I had originally written it just incase I'm asked to write the script of the "non serious death" in a CSI episode but it can be used for such a scenario.

You have to bring her over to Vegas, to a party preferably on the top floor on a hi rise. It has to be on a warm yet rainy evening. There you need to have an ice sculpture be delivered to the top floor by crane. As the sculpture is delivered, have a few burly workmen get distracted and walk off leaving the ice sculpture on the edge of the building. Now you need to bring the M I L down stairs and outside for a smoke, under the ice sculpture. By some freak "accident" the ice sculpture falls, squashes the M-I-L, you walk off, remaining ice melts and dilutes into the rain. You fly home minus a MIL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I see her on the Christmas. I see her on the Saint Stephens. I see her tomorrow on the wife’s birthday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

mad muffin wrote: »
    I see her on the Christmas. I see her on the Saint Stephens. I see her tomorrow on the wife’s birthday.

My sympathies!

Ah yes. Harper Lee's first, rather less successful, attempt at a novel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Anyone else suffering?

OP..."Things are always better in the morning" :)

My MiL was a lovely person, wish she'd have been around to meet her granddaughter, she'd have been beside herself with the excitement. But know they're rare, from what friends tell me about their in laws...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I got rid of mine when I got rid of the wife some years back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

hairyslug wrote: »
    I have a plan, I had originally written it just incase I'm asked to write the script of the "non serious death" in a CSI episode but it can be used for such a scenario.

You have to bring her over to Vegas, to a party preferably on the top floor on a hi rise. It has to be on a warm yet rainy evening. There you need to have an ice sculpture be delivered to the top floor by crane. As the sculpture is delivered, have a few burly workmen get distracted and walk off leaving the ice sculpture on the edge of the building. Now you need to bring the M I L down stairs and outside for a smoke, under the ice sculpture. By some freak "accident" the ice sculpture falls, squashes the M-I-L, you walk off, remaining ice melts and dilutes into the rain. You fly home minus a MIL.

I can see some minor flaws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭jokser250

mad muffin wrote: »

Unlucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Mine lives 5 minutes away. I want to move. He won't. If she ever decides that she's moving in with us, then I'm gone. Not even joking. She truly is the manipulative b***h from hell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I like mine although we don't see her as much as my mother because of distance.

She's like an old skool, rural version of Prince Philip and comes out fantastic unPC chestnuts, especially if you egg her on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I'm surprised mine didn't poison herself with her own ghastly food.

(tbf though, she's a really nice person, just has her obnoxious days)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

My mother in law was already dead when I arrived on the scene

Jesus, that was forward planning! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Same here. Apparently she was a lovely woman too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

BuboBubo wrote: »
    Same here. Apparently she was a lovely woman too.

They're all lovely when they're dead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Ive only been married once but I currently have 2 mother in laws and an ex mother in law so I have spares if anyone wants one? :pac:

Ah no, I'm fond of and get on well with them all :)

Lorelli! wrote: »
    Ah no, I'm fond of and get on well with them all :)

IT'S OKAY! :eek:

This forum is anonymous :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Mine is the traditional kind, the one the jokes are written for!

Irish mother's and their sons!!

Need I say any more!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭tritriagain

If my mil ended up in hell the devil would leave and go to heaven

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Anagram for Mother in law Woman Hitler.

Do it OP do it now tonight, we understand your reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm not married but I always found the horrible mother in law interest from my observations of people I know and if I was told to pick a side I'd choose the mother in laws side in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭tritriagain

I'm not married but I always found the horrible mother in law interest from my observations of people I know and if I was told to pick a side I'd choose the mother in laws side in most cases.

I must tell you my story sometime. It might change your mind.

I'm not married but

Yeah, you know what they say about what proceeds the word But...

Come back to us when you've walked the talk :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I must tell you my story sometime. It might change your mind.
    Yeah, you know what they say about what proceeds the word But...

Come back to us when you've walked the talk :D

It might. I'm just basing it on the stories that I already know.

• Advertisement

Well in my case, my MiL was just a complete lady, a class act who doted on her only daughter but never once tried to interfere in her life or decisions except to support them, and us. Tbh I was probably more upset when she passed away than my own Dad...don't get me wrong, he was great, but his passing was a relief in the end as he'd had a number of strokes, her death was a complete shock.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Mililf

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Mililf

hurl_cam.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You either put up with cr@p from people in life, or you dont, I really dont know why people put up with it more from a MiL and then gripe about it. Yes, I can understand you sacrifice for your spouse, but if there is a problem, why be a hypocrite?

I have some issues (shall we say philosophical differences) with my wifes mother and sister, my wife knows this so she doesnt push it and we keep it civil with a healthy formality at family events, so there is never any unpleasantness. But i do hear how my MiL talks about my fellow in-laws when theyre not around, so i imagine I get the same treatment in my absence, but keeping things the way they are means i dont actually give a feck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

MIL is fine , I have a bullet , can of petrol , grave dug , rope and cyanide for sister in law and her pox husband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

MIL lives abroad. She comes and visits maybe for 4 days every 2nd year when the husband turns into chef and housekeeper of the century and I want to beat him to death. Not her fault he turns into a knob. She's pretty ok but very boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I have a handy acronym for my mother in law .

TFMOH.

Sure you can work it out ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Bear in mind op you could be someones dreaded father/mother-in-law some day.

I never had one but i like to think we'd have got on great. After all we both loved the same person.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Crea wrote: »
    MIL lives abroad. She comes and visits maybe for 4 days every 2nd year when the husband turns into chef and housekeeper of the century and I want to beat him to death. Not her fault he turns into a knob. She's pretty ok but very boring.
    Ask her to move in so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Bear in mind op you could be someones dreaded father/mother-in-law some day.

I never had one but i like to think we'd have got on great. After all we both loved the same person.

Unfortunately, this is real life and human nature.

My MIL doesn't love me, nor I doubt she actually hates me.

She's a difficult woman, her family put up with a lot, and occasionally, always she upsets family plans.

We all tread softly around her, when she's in form she's great, but she's had a hard life, but that's no excuse for bad behaviour.

I don't put up with the bad behaviour, I tolerate it. I do love her and have nursed her when ill. She's just an odd person and we live around it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I have a path across the garden to my parents-in-law. We live right beside them. They both come over for tea/coffee throughout the day so we see them everyday. One of them will be over any minute now!

I am very lucky that my parents-in-law are the nicest people you could meet. My father in law cuts my lawn and helps with some DIY jobs, unfortunately my job means I’m not always around to do stuff like that. My mother in law is a lady and one of the kindest souls I’ve ever known.

They’re both amazing with our kids too which is really big plus!

(Sorry OP!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

My wife and I were thrown out of her parents house one Christmas because I challenged the MIL on what I saw as unfair treatment of her granddaughter (my niece).
    We had to pack our bags and see out the holiday with the sister.

Funny thing was that no one blamed me for the incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

my mil is a sweetheart so i'm lucky. if my ma ever gave any kind of abuse, criticism or ball breaking to my missus i'd tell the ma to cop herself on in no uncertain terms. not that she ever would, she's a class act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Did ya do it op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

Although she does things that irritate me greatly - such as inviting herself, FIL as well as my BIL & his wife to Xmas dinner, simple fact is I wouldn’t be married to her daughter if it wasn’t for her.

She convinced the wife to give me a second chance after our first date.

Inviting the BIL & SIL really bugged me though. That was a step too far. But the wife told her this after the fact so she knows not to do it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

OU812 wrote: »
    Although she does things that irritate me greatly - such as inviting herself, FIL as well as my BIL & his wife to Xmas dinner, simple fact is I wouldn’t be married to her daughter if it wasn’t for her.

She convinced the wife to give me a second chance after our first date.

Inviting the BIL & SIL really bugged me though. That was a step too far. But the wife told her this after the fact so she knows not to do it again.
    What a thoughtless and rude thing to do. You can't invite people to someome elses house. Does she gave no self awareness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

My wife and I were thrown out of her parents house one Christmas because I challenged the MIL on what I saw as unfair treatment of her granddaughter (my niece).
    We had to pack our bags and see out the holiday with the sister.

Funny thing was that no one blamed me for the incident.

My god

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

My MIL doesn’t like me and I don’t like her. I did respect her for a text she sent my wife a while back which passively aggressively told me where I stood quite brilliantly:

“We love you and the kids so much. And we even love Dean.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

hairyslug wrote: »

What do you do if she doesn’t smoke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

What a thoughtless and rude thing to do. You can't invite people to someome elses house. Does she gave no self awareness?

Absolutely zero self awareness. Never had. Stuff like that has never occurred to her as being rude or out of place. She has absolutely no filter for things like that.

To be honest, while it annoyed me. Its the BIL & SIL who pissed me off. They accepted her invitation without clearing it with us. They knew we weren’t aware of it until a couple of days after the fact. SIL’s parents didn’t invite them because “they don’t do things like that”.

I said they should have invited the parents to their house because they’re only married a year and a bit & the response was “What would we know about cooking Xmas dinner. We’re newlyweds”. F***ing learn you freeloaders!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Anyone else suffering?

How about instead of killing her, just be as awkward as humanly possible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement