Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covered to drive another car query

Options
  • 26-12-2017 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I am in UK on holidays and car has broken down.
    Have fully comprehensive insurance in ireland and am insured to drive another person's car.
    Does anyone know if this would typically be restricted to cars in ireland this extend to England?
    Insurance company closed today.
    Have access to a car which I could drive if insured

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I am in UK on holidays and car has broken down.
    Have fully comprehensive insurance in ireland and am insured to drive another person's car.
    Does anyone know if this would typically be restricted to cars in ireland this extend to England?
    Insurance company closed today.
    Have access to a car which I could drive if insured

Who are you insured with? It's normally noted in the policy booklet. Some allow it and some don't

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, the answer to your question is to download the policy document from the website of your (unnamed) insurance company and read it.

I'd have no problem doing it for you if you named the company but you've probably contacted them at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 renmorenewbie

Thank you.
    I started to post yesterday but forgot to finish it sorry..my head was all over the place.

The company is RSA it states in second part of policy that I am covered (per conditions of first part of policy..which includes Great Britain and NI) to drive another car.
    I was afraid there would be exceptions.. for instance the breakdown cover only covers Ireland and Northern Ireland.

Thanks for advice

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

We are with Aviva. Our policy covers us to drive other cars -as long as that other car is covered by an insurance policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

We are with Aviva. Our policy covers us to drive other cars -as long as that other car is covered by an insurance policy.

+1 Aviva is currently the only company which imposes that condition in the 'driving other cars' clause of their policies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement