Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24" barrel pump.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

clivej wrote: »
    Take care if buying a shorter barrel for the 88. They won't fit as the magazine is a different size

Just on this point Clive, as long as the 500 or 88 is not built originally as a 18.5 inch barrel or one of the hi-capacity 8 shot models, any barrel 20 inches or above should fit and screw down properly.
    Every single 12 bore they make in the 500 and Maverick 88 range comes with the same capacity mag tube ( holds 5 cartridges if they are 2 3/4 lenght).
    So the mag tube should be the right lenght for any 24 inch barrel.

They never made/make a pump that holds 2 in the tube. All come from the factory with 5 cartridge capacity, just with a wooded dowel rod in the mag tube to limit capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Visconti

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Have shot everything from snipe to ducks with the 24 cylinder.You just have to be quicker and closer than with a choked barrel.That's not to say also, that you cant get a 24 recut for chokes either.Got mu 1100 re-cut for chokes and its a nice handler in 24 in with whatever Rem choke system I want.

When I enquired with a gunsmith about shortening a barrel or choke fitted he told me the gun would have to be "proofed" in the uk at a cost of €500-€600 ?
    What do you think ?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

To a certain degree, he is correct, any work on a gun barrel IN THE UK needs to be re prooved.Not here in the ROI.Even though we have, or had an Irish proof house, in Dublin Castle, the govts of the days never employed an Irish proof master.Just lopping off 4ins and either finishing with a lathe or a file at worst is not going to do much to the barrel.Rethreading for chokes, or soldering on a C lect choke very well could weaken the gun barrel.

5to600 euros to re prove the gun and barrel?He is pulling your leg...Could send it to Nurenberg ,Germany and get it done for 80 euros proof test.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    To a certain degree, he is correct, any work on a gun barrel IN THE UK needs to be re prooved.Not here in the ROI.Even though we have, or had an Irish proof house, in Dublin Castle, the govts of the days never employed an Irish proof master.Just lopping off 4ins and either finishing with a lathe or a file at worst is not going to do much to the barrel.Rethreading for chokes, or soldering on a C lect choke very well could weaken the gun barrel.

5to600 euros to re prove the gun and barrel?He is pulling your leg...Could send it to Nurenberg ,Germany and get it done for 80 euros proof test.:)

Just out of interest how much would it cost to get the gun to germany and back though?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Seems to depend on the value and weight..Deutsche Post/DHL from Nurenberg would be about 150+/- to Ireland
    Cant find anything from Ireland unfortunately

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Visconti

Thanks to everyone who helped on this thread and for the great advice from Cass and Grizzly via pm but after a lot of consideration I dont think a 24" pump is the right gun for what I am going to do.
    If i was going to buy a gun to look at this is what I would buy.

https://youtu.be/egCKRxQ-9Ug

As I am looking to do some clays and rabbits etc a 28" multichoke semi is probably best for me.
    Having asthma means that there is a considerable difference in my breathing if I shoot an o/u or s/s compared with a semi auto.
    Thanks to all who commented and made suggestions.

Advertisement