Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ok for Black Tie wedding or not fancy enough??

• 26-12-2017 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi - I have a black tie wedding coming up shortly and have this Ted Baker dress in my wardrobe. Is it fancy enough for a black tie wedding or too casual?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

TheDuchess wrote: »
    Hi - I have a black tie wedding coming up shortly and have this Ted Baker dress in my wardrobe. Is it fancy enough for a black tie wedding or too casual?

I wouldn’t imagine it’s suitable despite being Ted Baker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

My mam actually wore that dress to a wedding this week and got loads of compliments on it- it's a fab dress!

My general understanding (probably wrong!) of black tie is a long gown type dress. I personally think it's a bit short for black tie myself and also the style, skater, is quite relaxed compared to what others will wear to a black tie wedding.

However, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and ultimately it's your decision :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I'd agree with the others, too short and too casual. Black tie is formalwear, usually full length, you might get away with tea length if the dress is very formal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

For black tie, I’d be wearing knee length at a minimum, and floor length will be the preferred choice. It’s a lovely dress but it feels more daytime or party-style than black tie.

It is a lovely dress mind you. If you Google “dress to wear at a black tie wedding” it throws up mostly floor length dresses. That was my understanding too.
    Debenhams will have stuff in the sale for less then €100.
    Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Officially you wear floor length to white tie and cocktail length to black tie (or floor length if you wish). The dress you have is lovely but it’s not “evening” enough with the print and the skater shape imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭appledrop

Personally I'd go more dressy for Black Tie. But to be honest I'd be pretty pissed off being told what to wear for a wedding. Can't stand black tie invites. It's a lovely dress + certainly suitable for a normal wedding so wear it if you want!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

appledrop wrote: »
    Personally I'd go more dressy for Black Tie. But to be honest I'd be pretty pissed off being told what to wear for a wedding. Can't stand black tie invites. It's a lovely dress + certainly suitable for a normal wedding so wear it if you want!

In fairness, it's feckin great for us men
    However I can understand why women hate it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭appledrop

Is it really great for men though? My husband has lovely suits for weddings but if it's a black tie one he would have to rent a suit + let's be honest those bow ties look ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Is it really great for men though? My husband has lovely suits for weddings but if it's a black tie one he would have to rent a suit + let's be honest those bow ties look ridiculous.

I only wear a bow tie if I'm wearing a suit.
    If I wore a tie, it'd either end up with in my pint or my bowl of soup :pac:
    The likes of Mrs bow tie is a godsend.
    That said, I'd only ever go for a self tie one. Pre tied look dreadful.

The thing I like most about black tie is that the slob who only would have worn chinos and a shirt actually has to make an effort and resembles something of a gent at a wedding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

My OH has worn very smart suits to black tie occasions, but not a tux/bow tie. It’s acceptable these days as long as the look is sharp and good quality. I still wouldn’t do it for a wedding though, as the bride & groom probably want a specific look for their occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Why doesn't he buy a nice monkey suit?

And they don't look ridiculous. In fairness, they stop eejits turning up in blue suits with tan shoes....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Officially you wear floor length to white tie and cocktail length to black tie (or floor length if you wish). The dress you have is lovely but it’s not “evening†enough with the print and the skater shape imho

What official guidelines are they, out of interest?

To me, black tie is floor length and white tie is full on formal, so opera gloves, the works. Cocktail is cocktail.

Anyway, OP, that dress is far too casual either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

That dress is totally unsuitable.

Having said that, unless the wedding is later in the day, the concept of a black tie wedding is ludicrous.

Black tie is evening wear.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Officially you wear floor length to white tie and cocktail length to black tie (or floor length if you wish). The dress you have is lovely but it’s not “evening†enough with the print and the skater shape imho

What official guidelines are they, out of interest?

To me, black tie is floor length and white tie is full on formal, so opera gloves, the works. Cocktail is cocktail.

Anyway, OP, that dress is far too casual either way.
    Official guidelines of etiquette but if you want a link here is one http://stylecaster.com/

http://stylecaster.com/black-tie-formal-wear/
    Sorry, here’s the correct link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

It's a wedding.
    Who's wedding is it and where is it on?
    A lot of folk has 'notions' and are holding black tie weddings for the sake of it.
    I've been to many a black tie wedding and seen some men just wear smart suits and ladies just normal dresses like what you've posted.

It's not the televised Oscars folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

whiskeyman wrote: »
    It's a wedding.
    A lot of folk has 'notions' and are holding black tie weddings for the sake of it.
    I've been to many a black tie wedding and seen some men just wear smart suits and ladies just normal dresses like what you've posted.

Yes, but it's still black tie! Whether the OP likes it or not,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I've yet to be at any wedding were anyone turned up in jeans and a gaa shirt, what are you on about

• Advertisement

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    Yes, but it's still black tie! Whether the OP likes it or not,

Who cares!
    It's not as if they'll be thrown out!
    Even at televised 'black tie' events, some edgy celebs may wear runners etc... it all depends.
    Many folk getting married who state black tie have no idea on what it really means anyway!
    Many grooms wore the wrong shoes at ones I've been at. Do you think I mentioned it to them?
    I've seen some black tie weddings in awful venues with buffet food ffs!!
    I think you should dress to the occasion and factor in a few things.
    As I mentioned before, the OP could easily wear this dress for a black tie wedding in Ireland.

There’s a difference between what one can get away with and what’s socially acceptable.

That dress is nice and perfectly fine for most types of event, but not for a black tie event.

As for fellas who ignore the dresscode, they’re insulting everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭PopTarts

I’ve been to a couple of black tie weddings and quite a few don’t follow the rules.

Can u ask others what they’ll wear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Who cares!
    The OP?

The OP?

Quoted out of context.
    I was referring to the other posters comment that they stated it was a black tie wedding.
    Please read the posts fully.

There’s a difference between what one can get away with and what’s socially acceptable.

That dress is nice and perfectly fine for most types of event, but not for a black tie event.

As for fellas who ignore the dresscode, they’re insulting everyone.

The majority of brides and grooms stating black tie are more insulting everyone IMO...

I've been to too many 'black tie' events to remember, and at many never wore a tux. Some of those times, I got complemented on what I wore.

As I mentioned before, it's important to factor in who's wedding and where also.

Quoted out of context.
    I was referring to the other posters comment that they stated it was a black tie wedding.
    Please read the posts fully.
    Incorrect, & for your info I read the post you quoted, all thirteen words of it. Maybe you should reread it & revert.

That’s absolutely none of your business, OP started thread to ask advice on the suitability of a dress. Please read thread title & desist from attempting to find out personal details.

The majority of brides and grooms stating black tie are more insulting everyone IMO...

I've been to too many 'black tie' events to remember, and at many never wore a tux. Some of those times, I got complemented on what I wore.

As I mentioned before, it's important to factor in who's wedding and where also.

I’m not trying to have a row with you, but I think that you’re offside doing that.

You’re invited to an event and your hosts have asked you to wear blacktie.

You’re essentially saying “f..k you” by ignoring their request and doing your own thing. That’s pretty selfish in my humble opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

That’s absolutely none of your business, OP started thread to ask advice on the suitability of a dress. Please read thread title & desist from attempting to find out personal details.

Well, if it's close relative or friend on in a particularly classy venue it's a different story to an acquaintance and on in the local function room...
    If it's the latter I might make do with a dress that borderline fits the black tie requirement. If it's the former, then personally I'd be getting a dress that's unquestionably black tie. YMMV, but that doesn't mean that that poster's question is irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

listermint wrote: »
    I've yet to be at any wedding were anyone turned up in jeans and a gaa shirt, what are you on about

At a wedding a few years ago in Dublin most of the bride's family were very casually dressed - many in jeans, one guy in a plain jumper, a few wearing runners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

It's a wedding.

It’s a wedding invitation with a few extra conditions attached.
    The simple thing to do if you don’t like the conditions attached is to decline politely and not worry about it anymore, as said so many times here, it’s not a summons to court .
    Declining is difficult if it’s close family or friend though.
    What is dickish is to accept and then ignore the conditions just to make some kind of statement.
    If you’re going, you’re going 100% on the hosts instructions, or don’t go at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

....... wrote:

It would appear so, because I've never seen it either.

That's actually downright bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Not dressy enough for black tie. At the very least I would aim to wear a stylish cocktail dress

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Mod - If you have a problem with a post please use the report function.

If you want to start a discussion on dress codes start another thread or check out the Weddings forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Dress isn't suitable in my experience. Any black tie events I've attended the women have all worn long dresses.

Advertisement