Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New TT bike

Options
  • 26-12-2017 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

Currently on a Planet X Stealth TT bike. Want to upgrade.

Budget is around 2.5k
    I've two ideas, get new frameset and build up with old bike parts, mainly ultegra groupset. Will require new wheels in that budget.

Or buy a new TT bike and sell the old one. Selling the old one first would push the budget up to 3, 3.5k.

Bike will be used on TTs and triathlons from sprint to middle distance.

Ideas on best route to take?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

okane1 wrote: »
    Currently on a Planet X Stealth TT bike. Want to upgrade.

Budget is around 2.5k
    I've two ideas, get new frameset and build up with old bike parts, mainly ultegra groupset. Will require new wheels in that budget.

Or buy a new TT bike and sell the old one. Selling the old one first would push the budget up to 3, 3.5k.

Bike will be used on TTs and triathlons from sprint to middle distance.

Ideas on best route to take?

Just my 2c, could be wrong but...

You will do very well to get 1k for a second hand px. It's a very small buying market for tt bikes.

Also, selling the frame will be difficult so your best bet may be to sell the lot and hope that someone getting into the sport is looking for everything, people interested in building up their own bike are likely to be looking at bikes the level of the px

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cervelo-P3-TT-Triathlon-56-cm-Dura-Ace-incl-Quarq-Dzero-Carbon-Power-Cranks/173064526390?hash=item284b731a36:g:SUQAAOSwH2VaNELO

I guess you might be to tall for it ....but ....at this price that,s serious **** ( if you buy it i get the pedals as commision ;-)
    (tubular just to note )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Peters post just reminded me that Rónán picked up a nice P3 frame set at a bargain price from craiglist in the UK too. Might be worth checking out.

P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

pgibbo wrote: »
    Peters post just reminded me that Rónán picked up a nice P3 frame set at a bargain price from craiglist in the UK too. Might be worth checking out.

P
    Late answering this, Paul, but yes, I picked up a 2012 Cervelo P2 frame from Craigslist London. I had been on the lookout for a frame for a good while (a car made sh*ite out of both me and my TT bike frame in 2014, but most of the components came through unscathed), but was struggling to find anything decent of value here in Ireland. A few options cropped up on eBay UK and on Troc Vélo (France) but never quite ticked all of the boxes. The biggest box was that it would cost little as I had bought a new road bike and hadn't any huge triathlon plans. 
    Anyway, I came across the P2 on Craigslist London, and the owner accepted £300. I was fortunate in that my brother-in-law lived nearby, inspected it and brought it back to Ireland for me. 
    This is a photo of it while it was still in tune-up mode. Some changes made since.438318.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

An update. Sold my Planet X and have bought a Canyon Speedmax CF8.0. Not due for shipping until end of June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Have seen a few of them at races, lovely looking bike. Enjoy it!

Advertisement