Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the options for people who are looking to study in america?

Options
  • 27-12-2017 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

What are the options for people who are looking to study in america?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Dylan12345 wrote: »
    It seems nearly impossible to go to american to go to college. Is it true that unless you have a really good that you can't move to america?

You needs lots of money, if you have lots of money then you will have options.

You would be looking at at least $10,000 a semester in college fees (so $20,000 a year).

Can you afford that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Dylan12345

You would be looking at at least $10,000 a semester in college fees (so $20,000 a year).

Can you afford that ?

Unfortunately i don't think i do have that much money. **** out of luck i suppose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Can you afford that ?

That's if you're from the US, it's nearer 30k euro for international students. You need rich parents or a full scholarship.

Here's Iowa state's fees:
    https://admissions.uiowa.edu/finances/estimated-costs-international-students

Look at all this sh*t
    * Additional fees include a $140 international student fee, $120 international orientation fee, $237 Student Health & Wellness fee, $72 student activity fee, $123 building fee, $77 student services fee, $124 student union fee, $25 arts and cultural events fee, and $277 recreation fee.

And I thought paying 120 euro for the UCD gym was a farce.

eeguy wrote: »
    That's if you're from the US, it's nearer 40k euro for international students. You need rich parents or a full scholarship.

Here's Iowa state's fees:
    https://admissions.uiowa.edu/finances/estimated-costs-international-students

Geez.
    That would probably take me two or three years to save up enough money for that. Thats if i didn't spend a cent lol.

Geez.
    That would probably take me two or three years to save up enough money for that. Thats if i didn't spend a cent lol.

It's ridiculous.

We work with engineers in the US. They get paid 50% more than us for doing the same job. Sounds fantastic until you realise they're saddled with well over $100k college debt.

And you have people here freaking over 3k fees per year. We're lucky!

• Advertisement

It's ridiculous.

We work with engineers in the US. They get paid 50% more than us for doing the same job. Sounds fantastic until you realise they're saddled with well over $100k college debt.

And you have people here freaking over 3k fees per year. We're lucky!

It's very unfortunate to say the least.

I went to america for 10 days a couple months back and i loved it. I have always liked the idea of living there, but it just seems like such an impossible thing to do.

If only you could just stay with a friend and look for a job over there lol.

You could always go to college here and get the J1 for the Summer.

Not sure how things have changed since I went 10 years ago, but it was only 100 euro for the visa. Got a job no bother and lived in NY for 3 months. Friends went back every summer for 4 years and loved it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you are any good at soccer, you could maybe get a scholarship but it would not be to anywhere like the top places.

You could always go to college here and get the J1 for the Summer.

Not sure how things have changed since I went 10 years ago, but it was only 100 euro for the visa. Got a job no bother and lived in NY for 3 months. Friends went back every summer for 4 years and loved it.

How would i go about that, though?

I would assume the job i would get wouldn't be any more than what i make currently in ireland and i couldn't find a place to stay off of minimum wage..

It seems like a really hard process finding a job so i would need something lined up.

spurious wrote: »
    If you are any good at soccer, you could maybe get a scholarship but it would not be to anywhere like the top places.

That wouldn't apply for me.

Terrible at the sport lol.

• Advertisement

How would i go about that, though?

I would assume the job i would get wouldn't be any more than what i make currently in ireland and i couldn't find a place to stay off of minimum wage..

It seems like a really hard process finding a job so i would need something lined up.

Don't quote me on this, but you apply for a J1 through the USIT website. Pay them the fees and they sponsor you to go to the US.

You get a visa from the embassy in Dublin, pay for your flights and that's it.

I went over with a 4 others and we got a small place together. You're not there to make money, just to make enough to live and enjoy yourself.

Check out the USIT webisite and google around for J1 info. There's hundreds of Irish heading over to NY, San Fran, etc, so no hassle finding people to travel with.

Don't quote me on this, but you apply for a J1 through the USIT website. Pay them the fees and they sponsor you to go to the US.

I went over with a 4 others and we got a small place together. You're not there to make money, just to make enough to live and enjoy yourself.

Check out the USIT webisite and google around for J1 info. There's hundreds of Irish heading over to NY, San Fran, etc, so no hassle finding people to travel with.

I will take a serious look into that.

The incredible memories you would make with that.

But if you went alone you wouldn't really make enough to live.

I'm going to google that now!

I see it mentions allowing "students" to travel to the US for summer, but does that include people who aren't students?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I see it mentions allowing "students" to travel to the US for summer, but does that include people who aren't students?
    No.

https://www.j1online.ie/how-to-apply/j1-visa-requirements

endacl wrote: »

Oh, well then never mind.

I'm not a student..

Oh, well then never mind.

I'm not a student..

The US doesn't issue visas for casual employment.

You can only get a work visa under special circumstances, like if they have a shortage of workers with a particular skill. The full list is here, but unless you have particular talent, you're screwed.

If you're interested in college and you want to travel to the US, then enrolling in an Irish college and getting a J1 is your best choice.

https://ie.usembassy.gov/visas/nonimmigrant-visas/temporary-employment/petition-based-visas/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

If you are really desperate, there's a whole range of community colleges and the like that you can get a student visa through. The fees wouldn't be as high as "proper" universities but the qualifications wouldn't be worth much either.

Search here: https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/school-search

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

If you are really desperate, there's a whole range of community colleges and the like that you can get a student visa through. The fees wouldn't be as high as "proper" universities but the qualifications wouldn't be worth much either.

Search here: https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/school-search

That's not always the case. Some of the city colleges are excellent.

The local city college here in Santa Barbara (where I live) is 2nd in the US for City/Community College. And is in the top 10 for bang for your buck.

The education landscape is changing and city/community colleges can compete with Universities in some cases.

That's not always the case. Some of the city colleges are excellent.

The local city college here in Santa Barbara (where I live) is 2nd in the US for City/Community College. And is in the top 10 for bang for your buck.

The education landscape is changing and city/community colleges can compete with Universities in some cases.

How much does that usually cost? I'm sure its upwards of 10,000?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

There has to be a student exchange program for the US similar to the EU's Erasmus programme.

The number of choices would depend on 1) what you choose study in Ireland 2)if you can find a contact in a university in the usa e.g a professor (probably known to your professor or someone who visited your faculty) and persuade them to use their influence to get you over there for a semester or a year. Erasmus folk receive a grant. You might be lucky and get one too. I dont know to be honest.

However if you apply yourself , you could definitely get the USA experience for a portion of your studies and the summer holidays after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

How much does that usually cost? I'm sure its upwards of 10,000?

Depends on the college. You should contact them directly and ask.

Advertisement