Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell. Beer spilt on keyboard.

Options
  • 27-12-2017 2:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭

Hi.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545-0635.

The other night I splattered beer all over the keyboard with the result that a few keys aren't functioning any more.

I'm just wondering is it much of a job to take out the keyboard and clean it or would I be better off Getting a replacement. If so, any recommendations where to get one.

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

sligojoek wrote: »
    Hi.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545-0635.

The other night I splattered beer all over the keyboard with the result that a few keys aren't functioning any more.

I'm just wondering is it much of a job to take out the keyboard and clean it or would I be better off Getting a replacement. If so, any recommendations where to get one.

Thanks a lot.

There should be a youtube video on taking the laptop apart. You should be able to remove tje keyboard and give the relevant keys a clean. Might be more more trouble if the key sensors on the board are covered in gunky sticky beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Thanks moredeith.

I just got the chance to look at that today. Took it apart no bother using a tutorial on another laptop. There is a load of caramelised beer in the keyboard so I'll leave it.
    I'll have a look online tomorrow for a replacement.

Cheers
    Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

sligojoek wrote: »
    Thanks moredeith.

I just got the chance to look at that today. Took it apart no bother using a tutorial on another laptop. There is a load of caramelised beer in the keyboard so I'll leave it.
    I'll have a look online tomorrow for a replacement.

Cheers
    Joe

If you can get hold of some isopropyl alcohol, you can use it to dissolve the dried beer. It's a messy job but should get the keyboard back up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

if it was a drop of beer then that might be worth a try.

but a load of dried in heated beer. nah. just use external keyboard until you get a chance to order a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,967 ✭✭✭✭listermint

FanadMan wrote: »
    If you can get hold of some isopropyl alcohol, you can use it to dissolve the dried beer. It's a messy job but should get the keyboard back up and running.

It's not messy , get electrical contact cleaner in halfords use a stiff brush.

Spray on keyboard rub in with stiff painters brush and then wipe down

It's simple

• Advertisement

Thanks lads.

I'll try that tonight. I haven't looked for a new one yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

listermint wrote: »
    It's not messy , get electrical contact cleaner in halfords use a stiff brush.

Spray on keyboard rub in with stiff painters brush and then wipe down

It's simple

All depends on how gunked up it is. To get under the keys properly I've always found soaking in IPA and leaving for a while. Pour it off and repeat. Seen some horrible crap coming out but the IPA really does its job.

FanadMan wrote: »
    All depends on how gunked up it is. To get under the keys properly I've always found soaking in IPA and leaving for a while. Pour it off and repeat. Seen some horrible crap coming out but the IPA really does its job.

India Pale Ale?. That's what caused the problem.;)

Joking aside. A friend has some. I'm gettting it off him tomorrow.

Advertisement