Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Now would be the perfect time to invest, all the best investors buy stocks when the market is down, everything is on "sale" effectively, long-term fundamentals haven't changed really

in theory , yes, but they are not down so much that 'there is blood on the streets', it is not the stock market of 2008/09 where things had fallen a lot, nor the housing market of 2014, there is still a lot of uncertainty, there is more room for downside than upside. things will fall by at least 25% from their high in the next 12-18 months imo. I don't see them going much more than 10% higher-more downside than upside. We have the tariffs, saudi arabia, high oil prices, Brexit, uncertainty in Italy, China slowing-to name a few.

Of course that is just my opinion, for anyone playing with a few hundred or few thousand euros, it doesn't make much of a difference, but if if have tens or hundreds of thousands, you tend to be more cagey with your investments.

In the last crisis, I kept buying as it kept falling and the more it fell, the more I put in-it worked very well in my favour.I did the same with houses, there is not enough fear there at the minute.....“Fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful.” But to each their own.

I would give any newbie the advice to not invest 'heavily' at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Good points, also depends how long you plan to be invested for and how much hurt you cam handle.

Even if you invested in the worst possible times in recent history, peak 2000 and peak 2008, you'd still have annualised returns of (something along the lines of) 5% and 8%, but obviously you would have needed to be very disciplined to not freak out during those hard times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Any thoughts on TOPS? Spiked big time last season.

Got in at 1.22, a good start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

So it might be a good time to pick up some value.
    I use the Motley Fool podcasts. Start listening to them without buying and you'll get some ideas.

They still banging on about chipotle

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭BonesJones1

What happens my shares if I own shares in a company that is listed on the Italian exchange , french, Australian etc but is going to be listed on the Nasdaq but I only own shares in the Italian exchange?

• Advertisement

What happens my shares if I own shares in a company that is listed on the Italian exchange , french, Australian etc but is going to be listed on the Nasdaq but I only own shares in the Italian exchange?

Nothing. You can sell them and buy on any of the other exchanges if you wish. I'd be inclined to trade the one with the highest volume.

Got in at 1.22, a good start.

Ask is 1.48 pre market.

Ask is 1.48 pre market.

Now 1.90 pre market, up 49%. Start of shipping season?

Now 1.90 pre market, up 49%. Start of shipping season?

2.90 now Holy God!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭littlevillage

2.90 now Holy God!:pac:

3.10 now :rolleyes:

It'll be interesting to see how that translates to the actual SP at 2:30pm. ;)

but it certainly looks good for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Not sure if anyone else is still holding TAW stock. The rumour is that Galaxy resources are set to buy them out / takeover.

https://www.afr.com/street-talk/taxing-times-could-put-galaxys-focus-on-tawana-20180927-h15yaz

Sell order placed for 3.60 for now, will adjust as needed. Fingers crossed. Watching keenly for now. Selling the majority today regardless I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

OwlsZat wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone else is still holding TAW stock. The rumour is that Galaxy resources are set to buy them out / takeover.

https://www.afr.com/street-talk/taxing-times-could-put-galaxys-focus-on-tawana-20180927-h15yaz
    Wish we'd see it reflected in the SP...

EDRY running too.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

Anyone know what's happening to Auxly Cannabis this afternoon? Price is falling like a rock, meaning I'm down over 11%.

Sold off enough to cover my initial investment, so have a couple hundred free shares essentially. My second near double bagger in as many months. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭heffo500

canonball5 wrote: »
    Anyone know what's happening to Auxly Cannabis this afternoon? Price is falling like a rock, meaning I'm down over 11%.
    All stock seem to be down today:
    https://marijuanaindex.com
    http://uk.businessinsider.com/weed-stocks-aurora-cannabis-ahead-of-new-york-stock-exchange-debut-2018-10?r=US&IR=T

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Sold off enough to cover my initial investment, so have a couple hundred free shares essentially. My second near double bagger in as many months. :D

Excellent. It beats workin for a livin :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcIK3akktLU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

canonball5 wrote: »

Only news I see is Aurora cannabis is debuting on the NYSE tomorrow, don't see why that would be an issue.

Looking at the european exchanges, these weed stocks started to fall around 3:30, some news must've come out just then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,322 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There way overpriced, America will follow next so it'll be party time with US stocks then. Their price per gram is way to high. Look at what the Italian army are doing trying to bring the cost down as low as possible.
    The war on drugs has been won by drugs, the next war is a pricing one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

There way overpriced, America will follow next so it'll be party time with US stocks then. Their price per gram is way to high. Look at what the Italian army are doing trying to bring the cost down as low as possible.
    Gotta ask you to explain that one or am I being very thick here? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,322 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Thargor wrote: »
    Gotta ask you to explain that one or am I being very thick here? :o

The Italian army are currently the only medical cannabis producers in the country, https://www.marijuanamoment.net/italys-health-minister-promises-medical-marijuana-expansion-with-sales-in-pharmacies/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I think US is too much of a mess with federal laws vs state. Trump is all over the place too so you'd probably need a stable Tredeau kind of President to get it across the line.... in saying all of that I'm tipping MPXEF although degiro only has it on euro (which I wouldn't bother with).

A lot of these Canadians are in other countries too, look at Uragay or plans for Columbia and Mexico. Price per gram would be on the floor and those companies would be quid in if imports / exports start.
    Canada itself will be saturated in a year or too so its all mergers and acquisitions consolidations... but the big ones are all aiming global so i think thats where the share price is at. Then again some private large operation could swoop in and kill everyone off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Uh-oh....red everywhere this morn

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭BonesJones1

retalivity wrote: »
    Uh-oh....red everywhere this morn

Yeah , Ryanair still on the up tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

And TSLA is up over 6 %.

Tesla saving the day for me, well into the green with them finally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Somecrimesitry

This is an incredibly dumb question but how on Earth do you withdraw cash from eTrade? My eTrade account was setup by my company for the ESPP. I just left RSU's awarded & Dividends stacking up on the account for a few years but now I'd like to withdraw the cash dividends to use over on my Degiro account.

Request A Cheque - says I need a brokerage account but I can’t set this up as I’m not in the US.

Wire Transfer - I’ve added my AIB bank account in 'Wire Instructions Setup' and given it a nickname but this account never appears in any Transfers dropdown other than 'Wire Instructions Setup'. If I try to use 'Make A Wire Transfer' this also says I need a brokerage account.

Transfer Money - All accounts on the 'Transfer From' dropdown are greyed out.

I'm stumped???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Have you sold your RSUs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Somecrimesitry

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Have you sold your RSUs?

No I've never sold any ESPP / RSU stock on the eTrade account. I have a couple of grand from dividends under cash holdings so I thought I'd be able to simply request a cheque or transfer it to my bank account online.

Every way that I've tried on eTrade doesn't seem to function for me. I'll end up just having to contact them but something so basic shouldn't be this confusing.

Advertisement