Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭garrettod

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Any opinions on crh? It's crashed quiet a bit over the last 6 months, I'd expect it to rebound into the summer.

From what I can see of CRH, the market likes them more when they keep acquiring businesses, but doesn't seem to like them as much when they announce that they are taking some time away from acquisitions, to consolidate all that they have bought to date (which I think is the principal game plan for the current year).

The above seems a bit odd to me tbh, as there must be a very nice business there, with good earnings potential across a number of it's key markets given the strength of the US and European economies. Taking a break from acquisitions to ensure that everything they have acquired in the last few years has been consolidated correctly and is running efficiently etc. doesn't seem like a bad idea to me personally.

Thanks,

G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

I take back what I said, HIVE on sale this afternoon so might have to go one more time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,322 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I take back what I said, HIVE on sale this afternoon so might have to go one more time.

We got volume today, over a million in the first 30 minutes, have an order sitting at 1.70, don't think i'll get filled again.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭JaimeLannister

Took the plunge on HIVE this afternoon (C$1.80). Hoping for a rise in the run up to earnings at month end. Small stakes - didn't put in as much as i was planning initially given the volatility of this stock over the last few weeks!

Took the plunge on HIVE this afternoon (C$1.80). Hoping for a rise in the run up to earnings at month end. Small stakes - didn't put in as much as i was planning initially given the volatility of this stock over the last few weeks!

Hopefully you'll see a rise before the end of the day. That's a nice entry.

• Advertisement

$2 in sight, praying we burst through it and get Jamie up 10%+ on his first day.

Here's hoping. Just missed out on 1.79 buy in today order didn't fill.

Here's hoping. Just missed out on 1.79 buy in today order didn't fill.

Have a look at the CEO's other company GROW, not sure how many shares in Hive he sold but he might be about to deliver a good earnings report tomorrow for investors.
    The markets seem to think he is, I've been watching it the last few months on and off and nothings really happened and volume was low but it seems to have for a bit of traction today.
    https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/grow

Have to hand it to you DrunkMonkey you do your homework. Just researching the team and their advisors, I see the founder of Lionsgate Entertainment is listed. Some interesting connections.

Have to hand it to you DrunkMonkey you do your homework. Just researching the team and their advisors, I see the founder of Lionsgate Entertainment is listed. Some interesting connections.

Were not dealing with paddy and mick here, don't google Frank Giustra one of the biggest investors, himself and crooked Hillary go way back, he's in a bit of trouble, probably him causing the selling pressure : )

• Advertisement

Not a fan of herself but I reckon the idea is sound enough to withstand that nonsense long term.

There’s a few good videos on YouTube from the perspective of die hard crypto fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Can I ask who you compared the Price/Earnings ratio with? Don't think there's another hotel group on the ISE. I did look at one or 2 in London but their P/E was negative.

I did some re-checking and you know what!!!!.... mea culpa. I gave you some incorrect information yesterday (I was thinking of some other company ...presumably). The PE for Dalata is currently about 15.86 at a closing price of €5.71 today and is average compared to its peers.

Share price has also fallen 10% since its peak at the begining of Jan.

So I will change my advice. Its a good purchase and if you had disregarded my advice yesterday and went ahead with your planned purchase, you would already be sitting on 2% profit cause that's how much it went up today :-)

By way of an apology please find below the PE numbers for Dalata Hotel group and a selection of other peer Hotels.

DALATA is 15.6 (at €5.59 and rising to 15.8 on a Share price of €5.71)
    Whitbread is 14.2
    Intercontinental is 23
    Accor is 47
    Hilton is 43
    NH Hotels is 52
    Millenium & Copthorne is 15.2
    Rezidor is 12.3

Not a fan of herself but I reckon the idea is sound enough to withstand that nonsense long term.

There’s a few good videos on YouTube from the perspective of die hard crypto fans.

Here you go, as I suspected it's being used as a proxy to get exposure to Hive, now we just need Hive to leapfrog it in the next 2 weeks, http://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2018/02/14/1348369/0/en/U-S-Global-Investors-Reports-Significantly-Improved-Net-Income-for-Second-Quarter-2018.html

I did some re-checking and you know what!!!!.... mea culpa. I gave you some incorrect information (I was thinking of Kingspan... for some reason). The PE for Dalata is currently about 15.86 at a closing price of €5.71 today and is low enough compared to its peers. Share price has also fallen 10% since its peak at the begining of Jan.

So I will change my advice. Its a good purchase and if you had disregarded my advice yesterday and went ahead with your planned purchase, you would already be sitting on 2% profit cause that's how much it went up today :-)

By way of an apology please find attached the PE for Dalata Hotel group and a selection of other peer Hotels. Correct as of closing price yesterday (€5.59)

Errr

Can't add attachments.

Bots are bearish https://online.capitalcube.com/#!/stock/ie/ise/dhg

Thats a useful website. Gives a nice bullet pointed summary as well about companies... for us dummies :)

A great read, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭JaimeLannister

$2 in sight, praying we burst through it and get Jamie up 10%+ on his first day.

Haha we had to settle for 5% in the end! Headed in the right direction anyway. Hopefully can drive on over the next few days!

Interesting that the GROW article was published 12 minutes after the closing bell

Thats a useful website. Gives a nice bullet pointed summary as well about companies... for us dummies :)

It uses algorithms, I wouldn't take it as gospel but it's somewhere to start.

garrettod wrote: »
    From what I can see of CRH, the market likes them more when they keep acquiring businesses, but doesn't seem to like them as much when they announce that they are taking some time away from acquisitions, to consolidate all that they have bought to date (which I think is the principal game plan for the current year).

The above seems a bit odd to me tbh, as there must be a very nice business there, with good earnings potential across a number of it's key markets given the strength of the US and European economies. Taking a break from acquisitions to ensure that everything they have acquired in the last few years has been consolidated correctly and is running efficiently etc. doesn't seem like a bad idea to me personally.

Have been watching the CRH share price fall. It got a glowing recommendation from Davy stock brokers at the start of the year (It was featured on their 2018 "Conviction" list) they reckoned it could go to €37 ... from the €30.50 it was on at the time. It has since fallen to €27.43 .... :rolleyes:

I reckoned the big infrastructure annoucements in the US should have given it a good bounce.

• Advertisement

Interesting that the GROW article was published 12 minutes after the closing bell

Earnings aren't out until tomorrow officially and there having a webcast after it. If you compare the Hive chart to it were nearly up and down at the same time over the last while until earnings were coming, hopefully a guide for what direction were going very shortly.

I expect GROW to fall tomorrow as that's just an egg, we got the goose. If you really want exposure to Hive buy Hive not GROW, think the twits have it all upside down as usual https://stocktwits.com/symbol/GROW

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭dickface

Have been watching the CRH share price fall. It got a glowing recommendation from Davy stock brokers at the start of the year (It was featured on their 2018 "Conviction" list) they reckoned it could go to €37 ... from the €30.50 it was on at the time. It has since fallen to €27.43 .... :rolleyes:

I reckoned the big infrastructure annoucements in the US should have given it a good bounce.

https://www.independent.ie/business/world/biggest-hedge-funds-130m-short-on-crh-36537413.html
    Maybe some people know more than we do...

dickface wrote: »

They've shorted EU firms with exposure to US markets to the tune of $22 billion not just CRH.
    It's a putting America first Hedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭greenfield21

When would they need to buy that stock back. The CB website shows more short pos taken for crh in Feb with BW.

If you add up all the Short position s by Bridgewater they come to 5.5% of the share capital over about 2 months !!

Or am I mis-reading ? (I assume some positions would mature etc. and they wouldn't be all outstanding at the same time) but still thats a fair drag on the share price.

HIVE on a roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭greenfield21

CRH gets shorted again by Bw on 14th Feb 0.89%. I wouldn't touch it ha.

HIVE on a roll.

Needs to burst through that wall at 2.03 got bounced off it the other day as well.

• Advertisement

I see GROW is down too.

Advertisement