Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,610 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Last thing I can think of off the top of my head would be making sure country/region settings are changed.

Are you referring to settings within Getflix account or on Shield?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Headshot wrote: »
    Are you referring to settings within Getflix account or on Shield?

Shield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I've never managed to set up Getflix DNS on the Shield and Google tells me I'm not alone. My best workaround was to use the DNS on my TV and watch Netflix/Prime using the TV app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I've never managed to set up Getflix DNS on the Shield and Google tells me I'm not alone. My best workaround was to use the DNS on my TV and watch Netflix/Prime using the TV app.

I gave up with Getflix on my Shield, I couldn't get it working either. Didn't bother with a subscription after the free trial.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Shield

Where are they located because i have location disabled on the shield
    I gave up with Getflix on my Shield, I couldn't get it working either. Didn't bother with a subscription after the free trial.

Kinda a relief i'm not the only one

I went about and created a static route for 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 to blackhole all traffic but didnt make a difference

I suspect there's a hard coded DNS on the Shield

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I use getflix at router level, i tried to add it to the shield but couldn’t and I also tried side loading the app to use the vpn service they offer but that went pear shaped too
    Works fine on my router in getting all the usual things a smart dns offer and still have U.K. Amazon

You are very trusting of a company with such a vague privacy policy. Use it on a media device no problem, but I'm not sure it's wise use it at router level! Just my 2c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I use getflix at device level on my shield, set it up ages ago (on earlier version of Shield OS - think that it's documented earlier in this thread). Steps were (on WiFi)
    1) select static IP
    2)set address, gateway, getflix DNS -1 dublin 2 london
    3)on shield set region to UK
    4)turn off ipv6
    5) reboot

Had to use iptables to get Netflix US going on it but iPlayer, prime etc. was fine without further faffing around.

I use getflix at device level on my shield, set it up ages ago (on earlier version of Shield OS - think that it's documented earlier in this thread). Steps were (on WiFi)
    1) select static IP
    2)set address, gateway, getflix DNS -1 dublin 2 london
    3)on shield set region to UK
    4)turn off ipv6
    5) reboot

Had to use iptables to get Netflix US going on it but iPlayer, prime etc. was fine without further faffing around.

How to set the region?

I suspect your shield works is because it's on older hardware and firmware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,698 ✭✭✭corks finest

Headshot wrote: »
    How to set the region?

I suspect your shield works is because it's on older hardware and firmware

Think you're bang on the money there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭BandMember

I tried Getflix a short while ago and, like others, had problems setting it up on the Shield. I contacted their CS (who were great to deal with by the way) through a ticket on their website and, long story short, they don't support Android TV at the moment but they are working on something for future release.

• Advertisement

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Thanks for the 2c
    Say its more than 2c tbh op has a point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭chewed

I know there was a bit of a discussion on adding external drives to the Shield last year, but wanted to add a 1TB drive directly to the Shield. Is a powered USB Hub still the best way to do this to avoid any overheating issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I've a 4TB connected to mine. What overheating issues? It tends to go into standby.

beauf wrote: »
    I've a 4TB connected to mine. What overheating issues? It tends to go into standby.

I take it you've the most modern shield?
    I've the 2017 model, tried an older external hard drive no good

Yeah it was an issue, I've not heard much about it for ages. I've a 64GB thumb drive connected to a usb hub to prevent mine overheating

I take it you've the most modern shield?
    I've the 2017 model, tried an older external hard drive no good

I don't have the tube one.

I've the flat boxy pro one but it smaller than the original. Best thing since sliced bread.

beauf wrote: »
    I don't have the tube one.

I've the flat boxy pro one but it smaller than the original. Best thing since sliced bread.

Same model, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

The overheating was happening on some thumb drives when connected directly and adopted as internal storage,I had 2 go corrupt from heat.

I now have one 128GB SSD adopted as internal storage connected via its own USB3 extension cable to the Shield and then a powered USB Hub with 4 HDDs attached with their own cable to the Shield.
    When I went from 2 to 3 drives at the time the Shield could not power the 3 of them so it was at that point I bought a powered Hub having used a non powered one.

On the presumption you are using the HDD for Media and not adopted internal storage then connecting one HDD directly is fine as you will naturally have a cable connection as opposed to a thumb drive which is direct and so you wont have an overheating issue.

You also have the sleep feature for the drives when not in use but if you have Plex then its advised to prevent them from sleeping as I have had remote accessibility issues whereby I could not wake the drives.There have also been reconnection issues and mapping issues when drives were waking up which has mostly been fixed in the most recent release as I had been in contact with Nvidia and had tested specific beta versions for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭chewed

The overheating was happening on some thumb drives when connected directly and adopted as internal storage,I had 2 go corrupt from heat.

I now have one 128GB SSD adopted as internal storage connected via its own USB3 extension cable to the Shield and then a powered USB Hub with 4 HDDs attached with their own cable to the Shield.
    When I went from 2 to 3 drives at the time the Shield could not power the 3 of them so it was at that point I bought a powered Hub having used a non powered one.

On the presumption you are using the HDD for Media and not adopted internal storage then connecting one HDD directly is fine as you will naturally have a cable connection as opposed to a thumb drive which is direct and so you wont have an overheating issue.

You also have the sleep feature for the drives when not in use but if you have Plex then its advised to prevent them from sleeping as I have had remote accessibility issues whereby I could not wake the drives.There have also been reconnection issues and mapping issues when drives were waking up which has mostly been fixed in the most recent release as I had been in contact with Nvidia and had tested specific beta versions for them.

i was actually looking for something I could use to record from TiviMate. I have a NAS drive (connected to my router) and mounted as a drive from the Shield, but for some reason it won't record onto from TiviMate. It only records directly onto a 16GB drive I have attached directly, but obviously would need more space for TV shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ooter

Looking to purchase one of these, where is the cheapest/best place online to order?

• Advertisement

I got mine on Amazon. Might be different now with Brexit and the issues with Deliveries.

ooter wrote: »
    Looking to purchase one of these, where is the cheapest/best place online to order?

Adverts, if u can't locate one I'll give you a number

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Hi .

Anyone know how to cancel auto renewal of GeForce subscription?
    I signed up thinking it would give easier access to some of the free games but actually now I have no idea what it is .
    Really hate when companies put auto renewal in place and then make it next to impossible to remove that setting !
    You would expect this to be in “manage “ section but no .
    Shabby .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Have the pro (with gaming controller version) boxe type version. Lately the small remote control is absolutely destroying batteries and a near monthly basis. We do use the nvidia a lot but I wouldn't expect it to need batteries monthly. Our first set of batteries lasted over a year I believe.

Any tips on making it last?

As an aside I'm trying my hardest to hook up alexa to the nvidia but it's won't let me coz it says I need to sign into the nvidia account. It won't allow me, I don't know if I have an account or do I if I use an email address on the nvidia. I'm just so confused.

Have the pro (with gaming controller version) boxe type version. Lately the small remote control is absolutely destroying batteries and a near monthly basis. We do use the nvidia a lot but I wouldn't expect it to need batteries monthly. Our first set of batteries lasted over a year I believe.

Any tips on making it last?

As an aside I'm trying my hardest to hook up alexa to the nvidia but it's won't let me coz it says I need to sign into the nvidia account. It won't allow me, I don't know if I have an account or do I if I use an email address on the nvidia. I'm just so confused.

You buying batteries in Dealz? There have been issues with those even though they are decent reputable brand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

You buying batteries in Dealz? There have been issues with those even though they are decent reputable brand

I think the better half gets them in super valu!

Like we last put some in the day after Xmas, now getting a critically low message again.

Like we last put some in the day after Xmas, now getting a critically low message again.

Don't buy them again. try another brand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 newbie_diy

Hi,

I'm.looking to buy one of these and can't decide between the NVIDIA SHIELD TV PRO 4K Media Streaming Device - 16 GB and the NVIDIA SHIELD TV 4K Media Streaming Device - 8 GB.. What is tbe advantage of paying the extra for the Pro version?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,547 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I had similar issue with cheaper batteries. They weren't going dead as quick as yours but were lasting no length.
    Buy duracell and the difference will be huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,547 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

newbie_diy wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm.looking to buy one of these and can't decide between the NVIDIA SHIELD TV PRO 4K Media Streaming Device - 16 GB and the NVIDIA SHIELD TV 4K Media Streaming Device - 8 GB.. What is tbe advantage of paying the extra for the Pro version?

I have the Pro version but not sure its worth the extra £50 tbh.
    I suppose it all depends what you use it for,mine is only used for streaming(Netflix,Prime etc) and IPTV.

Advertisement