Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭Soarer

I'll try anything if I'm honest.

I assume it's something similar.
    Plug in HDD.
    Load Plex.
    Point it to movies/TV shows/etc.
    It'll organise everything, throw in details, etc.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Yeah, it scrapes all of the metadata, artwork, theme tune etc.

Just need to create libraries for TV shows, Movies etc and then add the content through your web browser / point it at the folder on your HDD. I use my laptop to do this

Plenty of tutorials out there but if stuck, we can certainly help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭joficeduns1

Seconding Plex with the Shield. I use an old Mac Mini as a server and the the client (Shield) just plays off it. You can use the Shield as the server though which should simplify things. You do need to follow naming conventions too though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dohboy

I installed an update on my Shield TV last night and now it won't connect to the internet, either via ethernet or WiFi. Any idea what's going on? Cheers

Edit: Left this overnight and it seems to have resolved itself. No idea tbh

Tried the Plex route, but seeing as I was in a rush doing it, I made a bags of it. I pointed it to the route directory instead of the movie folder on my hdd, and now there's stuff everywhere!

For the life of me, I can't find the big red button that says "remove all traces of anything Plex and start again".

Any way for me to start over?

As an aside, Kodi appear to be behaving itself recently.

• Advertisement

Soarer wrote: »
    Tried the Plex route, but seeing as I was in a rush doing it, I made a bags of it. I pointed it to the route directory instead of the movie folder on my hdd, and now there's stuff everywhere!

For the life of me, I can't find the big red button that says "remove all traces of anything Plex and start again".

Any way for me to start over?

As an aside, Kodi appear to be behaving itself recently.

Go into settings > apps > Plex > clear data

Finally got it working!

Turned out that with the Shield, I needed to install Plex Media Server as well as the normal Plex. All metadata working, etc.

Also, following some dude's tutorial on YouTube, he recommended using Plex through Kodi. Apparently the Kodi processing is superior to Plex's own one. So I was able to install the Plex add-on for Kodi, and set it to open the add-on as soon as Kodi is started.

Might all blow up tomorrow, but is working well at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Nividia Sheild Pro but know little to nothing about it bar good word of mouth. I usually stream with a Chrome Cast so not totally technically dumb.

If someone could advise me on what is the best paid app to get for the shield so I can get all the sports channels (Sky, BT, Bein etc) and the best selection of movies available? I hear IPTV is the app I need? and TiviMate is another good one with a better UI.

Any advise would be most welcome, any other good app suggestions you have please fire them my way also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Nividia Sheild Pro but know little to nothing about it bar good word of mouth. I usually stream with a Chrome Cast so not totally technically dumb.

If someone could advise me on what is the best paid app to get for the shield so I can get all the sports channels (Sky, BT, Bein etc) and the best selection of movies available? I hear IPTV is the app I need? and TiviMate is another good one with a better UI.

Any advise would be most welcome, any other good app suggestions you have please fire them my way also.

Iptv is a service you get, which you use Tivimate with, not either or. It gives it a nice look and easy to find what you're after, definitely recommended once you find an IPTV provider you are happy with. Can't discuss them here though because of the legality, or not of IPTV.

Theres a Turkish sports app (with lot of English commentary) for very cheap over on the bargain alerts thread if you're happy using a VPN.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058153263/1/#post116037617

Lots and lots of apps for films and TV series, often free, and again, for iffy legality reason can't be discussed on boards sadly.

Theres also some free film and TV apps that are advertising supported, and often similar to the B movie section of blockbuster video, with the odd good un thrown in but completely legit which if you're more law abiding you can add for a clearer conscience.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,547 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Can't discuss here how to get sky/BT etc via IPTV.

Tivimate is a IPTV player,there are loads of options available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bozharry1

Hi everyone
    Have 2017 shield and I get this msg coming up on bottom of screen that says released by symos when I am streaming.It is starting to get very annoying.I’d say it’s a virus.Has anyone else had this and how do I get rid of it?

bozharry1 wrote: »
    Hi everyone
    Have 2017 shield and I get this msg coming up on bottom of screen that says released by symos when I am streaming.It is starting to get very annoying.I’d say it’s a virus.Has anyone else had this and how do I get rid of it?

It's not a virus, there are none. It's an app you have installed. What app are you using for streaming?

It's not a virus, there are none. It's an app you have installed. What app are you using for streaming?

Netflix🀣and Emby.Notting dodgy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Netflix🀣and Emby.Notting dodgy

You're getting a message that says released by Symos in Netflix?

You're getting a message that says released by Symos in Netflix?

Yes.Happening months now.Get it on Emby as well.Really starting to boil me.

Yes.Happening months now.Get it on Emby as well.Really starting to boil me.

It's something you have installed. Do a factory reset if you can't find it

It's something you have installed. Do a factory reset if you can't find it

Yeah,Didn’t really want to factory reset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Lads anyone here ever used TVMucho...if so is it worth the money and secondly is it legal?? Have a mate who wants Irish TV abroad to watch LOI games on RTE if they are not on WatchLOI, however cannot afford to do anything illegal due to the job he holds.

It's probably easier that finding which app is doing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,698 ✭✭✭corks finest

No option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dohboy

dohboy wrote: »
    I installed an update on my Shield TV last night and now it won't connect to the internet, either via ethernet or WiFi. Any idea what's going on? Cheers

Edit: Left this overnight and it seems to have resolved itself. No idea tbh

So this happened again with my Shield TV last night, without installing any update. Connection to the internet just died suddenly. Switched between ethernet and WiFi but nothing worked. Rebooted the device, rebooted my router, still nowt. Went to bed and left it, now everything is working fine.

Has anyone had this problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Sad news, Logitech discontinuing harmony remote production.

One of our best ever investments, we have 2 harmony ultimate. I got the first for the sitting room and after about a year the back button started sticking a little so I moved it to the kitchen where it would get less use and bought another, 4 years later it's still going strong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

My biggest concern is the website that allows reprogramming... Even if you already have the remote, for how long will Logitech maintain the services required?

grogi wrote: »
    My biggest concern is the website that allows reprogramming... Even if you already have one, for how long will Logitech maintain the services required?

Yeah it's been so good there's never needed to be any hacking, they just work, maybe this will kickstart the community into doing something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

what other remotes would you guys recommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I'd still pick up one once they go on clearance, should be bargains to be had and the software will continue to be updated for a few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Hopefully they will keep it going for a while

Have the elite and great for running activities and one remote for everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,013 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Had a Harmony One a few years back and it never really grabbed me, and I love gadgets.

Still - depending on how cheap they get - I may partake in one again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Ben Done

Basq wrote: »
    Had a Harmony One a few years back and it never really grabbed me, and I love gadgets.

Still - depending on how cheap they get - I may partake in one again.

Same as that, except I think it's the Elite or the Ultinate I have - I did program a few activities, but tbh, I'm not a programmer, and it ended up more hassle - I might want to start an activity to watch TV with audio out through the stereo and HDMI source as the Shield, but maybe the TV's already on, so it switches it off rather than leave it be - user error I'm sure, but it's just not my bag.

The main reason I got it, though (and at a Bargain Alert price) was because the remote for my now at least 30 year old (and still the best I've heard) stereo system got lost, and the Harmony controls it perfectly.

Advertisement