Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Does Rte player work on shield?

Have a number of fire sticks which have Netflix,plex,Disney, amazon , YouTube .

But be nice to also have Rte Player without a workaround that just inevitably breaks .

john_doe. wrote: »
    Does Rte player work on shield?

Have a number of fire sticks which have Netflix,plex,Disney, amazon , YouTube .

But be nice to also have Rte Player without a workaround that just inevitably breaks .

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭blacknight83

Settings > Apps > see all apps > Show system apps > Android TV Home > Uninstall updates

You need to manually stop updates so you don't get updated homescreen (Settings > Device Preferences > About > System Upgrade > Toggle Auto-upgrade)

brilliant thanks for this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭larchielads

So if we uninstall the upgrade to get rid of the apps what happens if an update comes out thats vital do the ads come back if we install the next update after this one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

So if we uninstall the upgrade to get rid of the apps what happens if an update comes out thats vital do the ads come back if we install the next update after this one?

yep

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

Yes of course. It's probably better to install a third party launcher like wolf launcher. At least this way you can get updates

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Pat_bottom

Yes of course. It's probably better to install a third party launcher like wolf launcher. At least this way you can get updates

Never dabbled with wolf launcher. Do you still get the channels on it or is it just a tile menu??

The adds are crappy thing to do on a box that costs nearly 200 euro or over. I assume its not nvidia pushing it but still think they would find a way around it.

Pat_bottom wrote: »
    Never dabbled with wolf launcher. Do you still get the channels on it or is it just a tile menu??

The adds are crappy thing to do on a box that costs nearly 200 euro or over. I assume its not nvidia pushing it but still think they would find a way around it.

Wolf launcher is a launcher created for the fire stick but works on the Shield and any other Android TV. There are multiple others. I've not bothered to change yet as I have some custom channels created but I'm considering it.

Yes it's Google pushing these updates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,547 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I wouldn't mind the ads if there was a choice but getting ads for Disney when I don't use it are annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭chewed

yabadabado wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind the ads if there was a choice but getting ads for Disney when I don't use it are annoying.

I really hate this new top section on the Shield. Very pi$$ed off that you can't turn it off either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

it doesnt bother me too much

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Pat_bottom

chewed wrote: »
    I really hate this new top section on the Shield. Very pi$$ed off that you can't turn it off either.

I looked into wolf launcher it looks good. I'm just too lazy to get around to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,698 ✭✭✭corks finest

Mc Love wrote: »
    it doesnt bother me too much

Same, bit like someone mentioning the noisy dog a few doors down- until it’s pointed out to you it doesn’t bother you so much,,,,,,,,,,thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Or the clock ticking in the room

It hasn't bothered me too much and same of the suggestions it throws up for things to watch I may not have known about otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jog501

Does anyone have the filelinked code for the dreamdroid app? I'm trying to install it on the nvidia shield but can't find the apk online

Jog501 wrote: »
    Does anyone have the filelinked code for the dreamdroid app? I'm trying to install it on the nvidia shield but can't find the apk online

I'm pretty sure filelinked has disappeared

You can just download it and add it to a USB key and install from there
    https://m.apkpure.com/dreamdroid/net.reichholf.dreamdroid

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jog501

I'm pretty sure filelinked has disappeared

You can just download it and add it to a USB key and install from there
    https://m.apkpure.com/dreamdroid/net.reichholf.dreamdroid

Thanks, I tried that but I don't think that is the same Dreamdroids app I have been using on my other box for Iptv, previously it was just a case of entering the code and downloading the app. When I got that app you linked to it doesn't install, I'm just getting an error each time..

Jog501 wrote: »
    Thanks, I tried that but I don't think that is the same Dreamdroids app I have been using on my other box for Iptv, previously it was just a case of entering the code and downloading the app. When I got that app you linked to it doesn't install, I'm just getting an error each time..

This is for an enigma 2 satellite box right? If so, ave you tried dream player IPTV for Android TV, it's what I use, it's very good, even does homescreen channels.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.cyberdream.dreamepg.tv.player

If you're looking for an IPTV app for an m3u line I can recommend tivimate, it's probably the best iptv player there is, clean and intuitive
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ar.tvplayer.tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭branners69

I have only owned my Shield for a week, as expected it is an exceptional piece of kit.

One issue I have is that I can only manage 300mbps out of the ethernet, same cable into my laptop shows 1gb. I am on 1gb with Virgin Media.

I have done a few things like turned off scanning always available and used a static ip address, but it made no difference.

The search function doesnt seem to be working on the new Boards site, but is this a known issue or do I have a knackered ethernet port?

I know 300mbps is more than enough but I want 1,000mbps!

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Bit of a strange one.

My previously perfectly working Shield is connected to the WiFi but won't play any videos or search. It's claiming to be connected and it is not saying "no internet". I've tried connecting it to a hot-spotting phones (which is on 4G) and get the same issue so it doesn't seem to be related to my WiFi.

When I restart the Shield, it will connect to the WiFi and will play videos for about 1 minute before it stops playing anything. Again, it says it's connected without any issues when this happens.

I've left it overnight but same issue in the morning. I've pulled the plug on the Shield, restarted the router and toggled IPv6 on the Shield.

Any suggestions welcome. I'm loath to do a factory reset but will obviously do that as a last resort.

FOLLOW ON: I changed the batteries in the remote and it seems to work now. Very odd and not sure if it's a coincidence or not.

Post edited by eclipsechaser on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭BandMember

Would anyone know what the optimal AI Upscaling settings on the Shield are, please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Lads do any of you use the Smart YouTube app for ad free YouTube on the shield?

I use it and last night was the first time the app showed ads

I checked the github link and it seems to be gone.

Its a real shame if the project is abandoned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Yeah, I use it, its working fine at the moment, no ads, no problem.

Been using it for over a year never had a single as but they started showing last night.

The github seems to be gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

I'm using Smart Tube Next as think developer moved onto this.Im using beta version and constantly getting updates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Search breaks on this if you don't keep up to date so need to keep updated.

Thanks lad, will give it a try

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭chewed

I got a new TV today (Samsung QLED ) but I'm finding the sound pretty bad and VERY low. I have the Shield connected and volume right up on it and also up full on the TV, but still very low and tinny! Is there some settings I'm missing here?

Also, should I change any settings to get the best video quality from the Shield to my TV?

Post edited by chewed on

Advertisement