Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

YouTube is probably the only app I don’t use ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,047 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Taltos wrote: »
    YouTube is probably the only app I don’t use ;)
    I wouldn't use it on my phone but some of the recommendations on the dashboard of the Shield have kept me entertained for longer than I'd like to admit! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Got my shield yesterday and have it setup and loving it but takes a bit of getting used too in some aspects.

One problem I am having is trying to expand the memory I have a 63gb sandisk usb 2.0 and a 32gb sandisk 3.0 and both ain't that old but when I go to format them it says they are slow..... ignoring that I format them and it works ok but then after a while the shield can't find them I've tried using them with an extension and still same problem?

Long term I'll probably get an ssd hdd in the near future just wondering is there any short term solution to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

jayo26 wrote: »
    Got my shield yesterday and have it setup and loving it but takes a bit of getting used too in some aspects.

One problem I am having is trying to expand the memory I have a 63gb sandisk usb 2.0 and a 32gb sandisk 3.0 and both ain't that old but when I go to format them it says they are slow..... ignoring that I format them and it works ok but then after a while the shield can't find them I've tried using them with an extension and still same problem?

Long term I'll probably get an ssd hdd in the near future just wondering is there any short term solution to it?

You need one with very fast read and write speeds.
    There's a specific list of nvidia recommended disks/drives here;
    The forum in general is very good for ideas and issues
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/988606/shield-tv/recommended-usb-flash-drives-for-shield-tv/

I use a Sandisk 128GB USB 3.0 Flash drive myself and have adopted it as internal storage,one word of advice using a USB as internal storage is to use a usb extension cable(USB3.0) between it and the nvidia shield as they get very hot when plugged directly in and burn out.It happened me.

As external storage I have a 2TB and 3TB USB HDD's connected via a USB 3 hub(powered) and it even handles 4k speeds via plex server and Kodi etc.

You need one with very fast read and write speeds.
    There's a specific list of nvidia recommended disks/drives here;
    The forum in general is very good for ideas and issues
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/988606/shield-tv/recommended-usb-flash-drives-for-shield-tv/

I use a Sandisk 128GB USB 3.0 Flash drive myself and have adopted it as internal storage,one word of advice using a USB as internal storage is to use a usb extension cable(USB3.0) between it and the nvidia shield as they get very hot when plugged directly in and burn out.It happened me.

As external storage I have a 2TB and 3TB USB HDD's connected via a USB 3 hub(powered) and it even handles 4k speeds via plex server and Kodi etc.

Yeah have tried a usb 3 on an extension buy I'll try get a recommended one and see where it goes from there might just get a portable ssd in a few weeks.

Edit: cheers for the link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Must try the extension cable, crazy heat being thrown off the small Sandisk I foolishly bought on largely aesthetic grounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Anyone know if its possible to get a shortcut to a specific youtube video on the home screen? The Sky News live-stream ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOacA3RYrXk ) is a handy one to throw on in the background but its a pain having open the youtube app and search for it each time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

JohnK wrote: »
    Anyone know if its possible to get a shortcut to a specific youtube video on the home screen? The Sky News live-stream ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOacA3RYrXk ) is a handy one to throw on in the background but its a pain having open the youtube app and search for it each time.

I couldn't think of anything worse to put on... seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

The easiest way I can see is to subscribe to the channel and then it will come up on your youtube subscription feed on your Youtube app feed on the home screen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Asked this in the Bargain Alerts thread, but no reply - anyone know the answer before the price goes back up?
    Is the controller still making a few quid on Adverts etc?

I'm still wavering at buying a Shield, even at this cheap price - have most apps I use on the TV, and I never play games.

If I was guaranteed a few quid back from selling the controller, I might be pushed over the line :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,047 ✭✭✭✭Basq

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Asked this in the Bargain Alerts thread, but no reply - anyone know the answer before the price goes back up?
    I noticed my local CEX has one for sale in the window..

Screen_Shot_2018-09-12_at_11.39.45.png

I see one sold recently on Adverts for 40 quid: https://www.adverts.ie/other-consoles-games/nvidia-shield-game-controller/15652871

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Basq wrote: »
    I noticed my local CEX has one for sale in the window..

Screen_Shot_2018-09-12_at_11.39.45.png

I see one sold recently on Adverts for 40 quid: https://www.adverts.ie/other-consoles-games/nvidia-shield-game-controller/15652871

Nice one Basq.
    Think I'll pull the trigger so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭ARNOLD J RIMMER

Hi All

Do you guys and girls know of any why I can use a Nvidia Shield to support the Virgin Media Anywhere App?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I guess this would be the easiest way to do it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9wIakKu4Jw

Shield with remote and controller down to £154 now - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01NBJ6KZY/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Never even thought of selling my old 1st generation controller. €16 will get a few pints at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

On minix u1 and using it for Iptv amongst other apps 😉

Not a gamer but rooted minix to marshmallow rom but notice its getting slower. Thinking of updating to Nvidia. I know its more expensive but looking for quality and something that will update. Minix not updating anything just waiting for apps not to be compatible.

So is it worth biting the bullet now. Can it take unknown sources apps?

With root i can load adaware so less adds. But with nvidia worth rooting?

I'm not sure which way to go just looking for opinions

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Down to £144 without the controller game remote
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nvidia-SHIELD-TV-with-Remote/dp/B075TBK232

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Spend the extra tenner and get the game controller folks well worth it

And then come on here and sell it to us :D

Does anywhere ever do the remote cheap? I'd love to get one and get rid of both controllers and that Harmony remote that I have.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,132 ✭✭✭✭listermint

On minix u1 and using it for Iptv amongst other apps 😉

Not a gamer but rooted minix to marshmallow rom but notice its getting slower. Thinking of updating to Nvidia. I know its more expensive but looking for quality and something that will update. Minix not updating anything just waiting for apps not to be compatible.

So is it worth biting the bullet now. Can it take unknown sources apps?

I'm not sure which way to go just looking for opinions

Cheers

Minix is rubbish.

Nvidia is not worth rooting it has everything you want under Android TV , supported by regular updates

These couldn't be more polar opposites pieces of hardware

I've not rooted my Shield, it gets regular updates and i have found no need to root it.

Better to buy a Raspberry pi and setup Pihole for network wide adblocking on all devices including Apple
    https://pi-hole.net/

I'm actually running mine in docker on my server to free up the pi.

I just see that new remote app there now, looks more specific to the Shield than just the regular android TV one. Anyone try it yet?

Patww79 wrote: »
    I just see that new remote app there now, looks more specific to the Shield than just the regular android TV one. Anyone try it yet?

Yes, it's no different to the Android one but only supports the Shield. I have both Shield and MiBox added to the Android one

Does the Android TV one have the mouse pad? It would be needed for Chrome (right stick on game controller).

I've a useless Mi A1 gathering dust which would be ideal to use as a remote with that app on it and save buying one at all.

Does the Android TV one have the mouse pad? It would be needed for Chrome (right stick on game controller).

I've a useless Mi A1 gathering dust which would be ideal to use as a remote with that app on it and save buying one at all.

No the Android TV one has no touchpad

No the Android TV one has no touchpad

I've not tried it yet but the screenshots on the Play Store listing looks like it does anyway.

I've not tried it yet but the screenshots on the Play Store listing looks like it does anyway.

Oh it does. I've only got the MiBox so hadn't noticed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Squaredude

yeah the new nvidia app has a mousepad and it works quite well

• Advertisement

Are there any qwerty remotes that work with shield?

Have minix a2 lite would this work?

Are there any qwerty remotes that work with shield?

Have minix a2 lite would this work?

Yes but if buying you are better off getting one with Bluetooth rather than IR

I've tried a couple diffent keyboards and remotes I've had here and obviously the return key is the biggest function problem and the onscreen screen keyboard it drive me mad so much I was going to sell the shield one day last week but just decided to give up on them and use the proper remote.

A few extra buttons would be nice for stb emulator but apart from that its mostly enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

It's been working really well for me, not been experiencing any of the problems in the negative reviews, at least so far.

Yes but if buying you are better off getting one with Bluetooth rather than IR

Any that you would recommend as adding up cost if I do buy

Any that you would recommend as adding up cost if I do buy

I don't have any experience with any myself but I know someone happy with one of these
    ZOC Portable Lightweight Rechargeable Mini Wireless Bluetooth Touchpad Keyboard With Backit Backlight For Xiaomi Mipad Mi Pad 1/2/3 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FQDR6BD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_O.LNBb9P0AHES

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭chewed

Anyone experiencing Plex connection issues?

I have Plex running on a PC upstairs but everytime I go to run it from the Shield I get a "Direct Connection Unavailable" on my PC connection and also a connection to a mate's Plex he's shared. I always have to reboot the PC and Force Stop. Sometimes it sorts itself out but it's becoming a pain now.

chewed wrote: »
    Anyone experiencing Plex connection issues?

I have Plex running on a PC upstairs but everytime I go to run it from the Shield I get a "Direct Connection Unavailable" on my PC connection and also a connection to a mate's Plex he's shared. I always have to reboot the PC and Force Stop. Sometimes it sorts itself out but it's becoming a pain now.

Sounds like a firewall issue. Have you forwarded the port for Plex server on your router. Does Plex say the server is available

• Advertisement

Sounds like a firewall issue. Have you forwarded the port for Plex server on your router. Does Plex say the server is available

No. Haven't done that! Is this easy to do? I'm using an Eir F2000 modem

I just found a post on a forum to say Clear Data on the Plex and Plex MS apps. I just signed back in again and it seems to be fixed again....for how long tough??

I am getting a new PC/Server next week so I'll see if this is better. The PC I currently use doesn't have a great wireless signal so not sure if this is the issue.

Spoke too soon! Back to "Direct Connection unavailable" again!

chewed wrote: »
    Spoke too soon! Back to "Direct Connection unavailable" again!

The Plex website is not seeing your server. You'll need to forward Port 32400 TCP to the local IP of your Plex server.

I use VPN on my Shield and on my Server. Could that be an issue with different IPs?

This is the message I get when I try to use 32400 from within Plex

461424.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

You need to forward that port to the IP of your Plex server. There is a guide here: https://portforward.com/huawei/f2000/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Is it possible to use phone credit to purchase android games on this like on my phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Is anyone using the Shield for live TV, e.g. the Shield as a client to a back-end server running the likes of Mediaportal, TVheadend or NextPVR?

Have tried various Android boxes including the Minix Neo u9-H, but due to reliability and picture quality issues, keep reverting back to a Windows PC running kodi. From what I read, the shield should have the necessary CPU/GPU for the job, but is there software on it that's up to the job - anyone got experience with streaming Live Tv to it from FreeSat & Saorview?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Is anyone using the Shield for live TV, e.g. the Shield as a client to a back-end server running the likes of Mediaportal, TVheadend or NextPVR?

Have tried various Android boxes including the Minix Neo u9-H, but due to reliability and picture quality issues, keep reverting back to a Windows PC running kodi. From what I read, the shield should have the necessary CPU/GPU for the job, but is there software on it that's up to the job - anyone got experience with streaming Live Tv to it from FreeSat & Saorview?

I’m interested in this too. From the Plex side of things, DVB-S2 usb tuners aren’t supported. I’ve been considering setting up a TVHeadEnd docker and I believe there is some middleware that will make it work with Plex. Having said all that, I’ve been without Sat for 6 months now and have been making do with Plex and iPlayer. Hardly seems worth the effort now!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

stimpson wrote: »
    I’m interested in this too. From the Plex side of things, DVB-S2 usb tuners aren’t supported.

Thanks for that - at least I can strike Plex off my list of research options so! I've a Blackgold card running MediaPortal upstairs pulling in FreeSat and Saorview.

Running Kodi / Mediaportal addon on the shield will probably work, but I'd prefer if there was a way to eliminate Kodi and select channels with something like the Shield Live channels Android TV app, if there was middeware anywhere to make that work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,985 ✭✭✭✭banie01

You can share your tuners from an E2 box either via the VU+ plugin in Kodi, and adding the IP address and shared bouquet to the config.
    Or you can skip KODI and set up your preferred IPTV player to stream directly from your E2 box.
    Easiest way I've come across to do this is to log in to your E2 boxes web interface, go to bouquets and select the bouquet you want to share to your Shield.
    This will generate an .m3u playlist that you can add to your preferred IPTV player.

Now if your tuners are installed in a HTPC, I'm sure you can share either the .m3u or the tuner directly from there too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement