Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

banie01 wrote: »
    I'm on a 360mb VM wired connection.
    The blurb for geforce now says 5Ghz wifi and a minimum 10mb connection, I'd assume the same for steam.

I'm so far from that, no point me even clicking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I've always thought mine was running wired as I have it plugged into the Horizon box, but I notice now that it pops up with 'Ethernet not Connected' on start-up so I must be running on WiFi. Dunno why the ethernet is broken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Anyone got any feedback on a 120gb usb 3 external ssd vs a 128gb usb 3.1 usb stick? I have an enclosure already so the ssd would actually be cheaper for me.

I have done a detailed post either in this thread or the nvidia bargain thread with regards your question a few weeks back
    It depends on whether you are using the storage as adopted internal or external

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I have done a detailed post either in this thread or the nvidia bargain thread with regards your question a few weeks back
    It depends on whether you are using the storage as adopted internal or external

Sorry, I did read the threads but somehow must have overlooked it. It will be to expand internal storage.

There's an issue with using USB sticks as adopted internal storage when the usb is connected directly to the shield it cause the stick to heat up and over time it damages it beyond repair(happened me)

Depending on your budget I would of course recommend SSD as the preference for adopted storage it will be quicker than the stick with regards read/write speeds.
    What I strongly suggest is whichever you choose make sure to get a USB3 extension cable and use it to connect either the stick or SSD to the shield although its what you will have to do anyway with an SSD I presume,I use a 128GB USB 3.1 stick as adopted internal and a metre long USB 3 extension cable to get it out of direct contact with the shield port and so far its stayed a lot cooler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭savemejebus

There's an issue with using USB sticks as adopted internal storage when the usb is connected directly to the shield it cause the stick to heat up and over time it damages it beyond repair(happened me) ...

Ah I definitely read that bit, it was how my calculations started (getting the extra usb 3 extension cable), but while doing that I noticed that the ssd (because I already had a caddy) would work out the same price if not cheaper than a decent 128gb usb 3 stick.

Will defo go for the SSD now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

There's an issue with using USB sticks as adopted internal storage when the usb is connected directly to the shield it cause the stick to heat up and over time it damages it beyond repair(happened me)

Was it a Sandisk Ultra Fit by any chance? I had one that overheated and it’s a known issue with them. Nothing to do with the Shield.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

stimpson wrote: »
    Was it a Sandisk Ultra Fit by any chance? I had one that overheated and it’s a known issue with them. Nothing to do with the Shield.

+1 for this, I had 1 of these in my Shield and got it replaced no hassle under warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi all, I've Plex Server V 1.13.5.5291 on my 2017 model 16GB Nvidia Shield which is connected to a 2TB NAS.

I'm having a constant problem whereby whenever I play content the app will randomly launch the play/fwd/rwd/pause control interface and will start scanning forward all the way to the end of the file. The file keeps playing but with the controls showing on the screen. At no point will anyone have touched either the Shield remote or the gamepad controller, it's like the app has a mind of it's own and is so bad that instead of using the Plex app on the Nvidia Shield we end up using an Android phone Plex app to play content and then cast it to the Shield.

Anyone else experienced anything like this and is there a solution?

Hi all, I've Plex Server V 1.13.5.5291 on my 2017 model 16GB Nvidia Shield which is connected to a 2TB NAS.

I'm having a constant problem whereby whenever I play content the app will randomly launch the play/fwd/rwd/pause control interface and will start scanning forward all the way to the end of the file. The file keeps playing but with the controls showing on the screen. At no point will anyone have touched either the Shield remote or the gamepad controller, it's like the app has a mind of it's own and is so bad that instead of using the Plex app on the Nvidia Shield we end up using an Android phone Plex app to play content and then cast it to the Shield.

Could it be a faulty controller or remote? See if you can unpair them and use the Android Shield remote app.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I had a similar ghost controller issue. Have you rebooted the Shield?

I had a similar ghost controller issue. Have you rebooted the Shield?

No, that's an easy thing to start with.

Also, can someone confirm if I'm running the latest version of Plex Server for the Shield? I'm not that familiar with the Android TV OS so not even sure how to make sure how Plex (or any other app for that matter) is auto updated to the latest version.

Could it be a faulty controller or remote? See if you can unpair them and use the Android Shield remote app.

Thanks Stimpson, I'll try this if a reboot doesn't sort it.

No, that's an easy thing to start with.

Also, can someone confirm if I'm running the latest version of Plex Server for the Shield? I'm not that familiar with the Android TV OS so not even sure how to make sure how Plex (or any other app for that matter) is auto updated to the latest version.

Play Store/My Apps/Plex/Full Description. Scroll down to the bottom and it will show you the version. I just updated mine to 7.6.1.7056.

Play Store/My Apps/Plex/Full Description. Scroll down to the bottom and it will show you the version. I just updated mine to 7.6.1.7056.

OK, I'm being a bit of a tit again :o

Within settings in the app itself if you scroll down it'll tell you what version of the media server is running and that says V 1.13.5.5291.

The actual Plex app is bang up to date (V7.6.1.7056) so my actual question is how if at all can the media server version be updated?

OK, I'm being a bit of a tit again :o

Within settings in the app itself if you scroll down it'll tell you what version of the media server is running and that says V 1.13.5.5291.

The actual Plex app is bang up to date (V7.6.1.7056) so my actual question is how if at all can the media server version be updated?

On the shield the server is built into the app. If you have the latest app you have the latest server.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

My Shield arrived last week, so got to put it through its paces over the weekend. Fantastic device!

Just using it for Streaming live TV and YouTube, etc, so some might say it is overkill for just that but honestly the sheer speed & responsiveness makes it a joy to use. Don't think I can go back now to cheap android boxes or Raspberry PIs. It even works better than my core i3 htpc, as it can jump seamlessly between apps without lag.

Was concerned about the remote, coming from a fully featured MCE remote, but after a few minutes you get used to the differences and adapt. The long press option allows easy menu access.

Just hope that given the price tag it fares well in the reliability stakes over the long run and does not suffer from overheating as it will be running continuously streaming 1080p content from Soarview/Freesat. If it lasts, it's a perfect replacement to a HTPC.

Just hope that given the price tag it fares well in the reliability stakes over the long run and does not suffer from overheating as it will be running continuously streaming 1080p content from Soarview/Freesat. If it lasts, it's a perfect replacement to a HTPC.

Only 1080p, the box isn't breaking a sweat it's the only box that properly handles 4k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

What way you using it for saorview/Freesat?

On the shield the server is built into the app. If you have the latest app you have the latest server.

I'm actually wrong here - there are 2 separate apps - one for client and one for server.

• Advertisement

I'm actually wrong here - there are 2 separate apps - one for client and one for server.
    I understood your first answer as I launch Plex V7.6.1.7056 and in settings I can scroll down to the media server setting and it confirms V1.13.5.5291 so it feels like the server app runs from inside the main Plex app and therefore logical that if you're on the latest version of the main Plex app you'd be automatically on the latest version of the server app but now I'm confused again :o

If they are separate apps why is only one Plex app listed in my apps list?

I understood your first answer as I launch Plex V7.6.1.7056 and in settings I can scroll down to the media server setting and it confirms V1.13.5.5291 so it feels like the server app runs from inside the main Plex app and therefore logical that if you're on the latest version of the main Plex app you'd be automatically on the latest version of the server app but now I'm confused again :o

If they are separate apps why is only one Plex app listed in my apps list?

I see a separate server app under recently updated:

462811.jpeg

Not sure what happens there. Looks ok on my phone...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=462811&stc=1&d=1538479787

Not sure what happens there. Looks ok on my phone...

1fa5ie.jpg

Thanks, I'll have another look. Maybe I missed it.

Kuva wrote: »
    What way you using it for saorview/Freesat?

Have a PC upstairs with dual DVB-S2/T2 tuner that makes FreeSat and Saorview available for distribution around the house via IP and using Kodi as the client.

To those asking about the update of the plex server app-It does not auto update(if you use Aptoide it will do it sometimes but not all the time),you need to go to the google store and push the update yourself from a web browser etc.
    The server does tend to act up if not on the latest version-Current version being 1.13.8.5395 (smb)
    As of today 02.10.2018 there is also a new app version 7.6.2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭Stefan_Cork

After waiting for ages for a Xiaomi MI TV box that got lost somewhere in Dublin Post I just ordered a Nvidia Shield TV of Amazon 16GB with controller.
    I like the official Android TV OS so I decided to YOLO and grab a Shield, there are not many devices...

I have a spare usb3.0 usb to sata adapter and a spare new 120GB SSD.
    That should work just fine right, with 5v power etc? Works on my PC fine, powered by USB 5v. Read ~235 MB/s , Write ~230 MB/s

After waiting for ages for a Xiaomi MI TV box that got lost somewhere in Dublin Post I just ordered a Nvidia Shield TV of Amazon 16GB with controller.
    I like the official Android TV OS so I decided to YOLO and grab a Shield, there are not many devices...

I have a spare usb3.0 usb to sata adapter and a spare new 120GB SSD.
    That should work just fine right, with 5v power etc? Works on my PC fine, powered by USB 5v. Read ~235 MB/s , Write ~230 MB/s

Hey,Yes it will be good as either adopted internal storage or normal external storage.

The Plex Server app is definitely not listed in the apps list but when I went into the Play store and pressed Install for the latest version then went back an hour later and relaunched Plex the server app version had been updated to the latest version so although it's not displaying as a distinct app it's all good.

Thanks for your input.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭Stefan_Cork

Got my shield 30min ago via post, Acc setup was a breeze using my phone and it signed my Google acc perfectly and went for the large ~1gb update.
    However after initial auto update and reboot shield remote didnt work anymore - that's annoyingly QA'ed.
    Had to plugin the gamepad to press "Continue" (People with remote only may have a bigger pain here...)
    Now i plugged in the game pad into USB and noticed a Controller update, via cable to pad and now i assume via BT to remote, thats done and its working again.
    So far i like it and will dive right in considering the small hiccup luckily i had gamepad...
    Just sharing my out-of-the-box-experience here!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

Have a PC upstairs with dual DVB-S2/T2 tuner that makes FreeSat and Saorview available for distribution around the house via IP and using Kodi as the client.

What tuner are you using? Im looking at plugging a tuner into the shield and having saorview on plex

I have a post a couple of pages back where I have a Tiviar Alpha plus combo tuner feeding freesat channels to Plex. There is a terrestrial tuner on it too but I haven’t gotten around to adding them. Will have a go later in the week and report back.

I somehow managed to mess up my StbEmu such that the menu only shows in the top 2/3rds of the screen, see below but thankfully when a channel is selected it displays full screen.

Anyone got any suggestions how I revert the menu to full screen? I've been through the settings menu a number of times without success.

Plex-screen1538840735.jpg

OmegaGene wrote: »
    You might want to remove the pic from the post

Why? Is there something offensive or in breach of the rules on it? It's my NVIDIA Shield not displaying an app menu correctly. Thought that would be appropriate here.
    Anyway have you tried deleting the app and reinstalling it ?

No and I really don't want t as it's a bit of hassle to set up again.

The thread will end up locked if you discuss that type of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

There's nothing wrong with IPTV or IPTV apps. Plenty of people have satellite and terrestrial tuners on a backend which distributes TV over IP throughout the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Why can't people just pay for things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭corks finest

Why? Is there something offensive or in breach of the rules on it? It's my NVIDIA Shield not displaying an app menu correctly. Thought that would be appropriate here.

No and I really don't want t as it's a bit of hassle to set up again.

Up to you but someone will moan about the illegal streaming
    Takes a few minutes to set it up, nothing to it really
    Correct

Up to you but someone will moan about the illegal streaming

What illegal content is displayed or referenced on the screenshot?

StbEMU is a legal app running on my Shield and all I'm referencing is the menu not displaying correctly.

I hear (and respect) what you are saying but nothing in the screenshot refers to illegal streaming.

Who cares what people moan about. Some people enjoy complaining almost as much as they enjoy doing nothing about it!! (Not you BTW)

The thread will end up locked if you discuss that type of thing.

What "type of thing" exactly are you on about?

The menu of a legal app I'm running isn't displaying correctly on my Nvidia Shield. If that's a basis for the thread to be locked then the person doing the locking would themselves have to be locked :eek:

• Advertisement

Makes no difference to me either way
    I had a look at stub emu and can’t figure out how you managed to get the display like that, I went into settings and tried all the different aspect ratio’s and I can’t mimic your display
    Best to just delete and start from scratch

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

Clear data in the app and set it up from scratch again will take 5 mins

Well, as we're being all friendly an all I've another problem I'm going to seek group input on.

I'm running Plex Server on the Shield connected to a 2TB NAS. I've shared access to the server to a few friends and family and they all use it no problem bar someone I issued an invite to today. They got the invite in their email, clicked on the link and launched Plex on Chrome but it doesn't see my server at all. I thought it might be some odd setting on their laptop so I got them to log out and login using my username and password and bingo, when logged in as me they immediately see the server but when they log back in using their own username once again they see nothing.

I went into my settings to see the friends I had shared with and the new account is still showing as "Pending" despite the fact the invite was sent and accepted 4 hours ago and the new user set up successfully etc.

Any ideas?

Well, as we're being all friendly an all I've another problem I'm going to seek group input on.

I'm running Plex Server on the Shield connected to a 2TB NAS. I've shared access to the server to a few friends and family and they all use it no problem bar someone I issued an invite to today. They got the invite in their email, clicked on the link and launched Plex on Chrome but it doesn't see my server at all. I thought it might be some odd setting on their laptop so I got them to log out and login using my username and password and bingo, when logged in as me they immediately see the server but when they log back in using their own username once again they see nothing.

I went into my settings to see the friends I had shared with and the new account is still showing as "Pending" despite the fact the invite was sent and accepted 4 hours ago and the new user set up successfully etc.

Any ideas?

Delete them from your server and send a new invite

Delete them from your server and send a new invite

Worked a treat, thanks HHB. I must say Plex is fairly polished but can be a bit finiky. I still can't use the app on the Shield as it randomly starts fast forwarding and Plex is the only app which plays up like this. I've rebooted the device and made sure I'm on the lastest version of the app etc but no joy.

C'est la vie. I can work around it by running Plex on a phone or laptop and casting it to the Shield.

Anyone got any suggestions how I revert the menu to full screen? I've been through the settings menu a number of times without success.

Looks.like it could be the aspect ratio in the app settings

stimpson wrote:
    I have a post a couple of pages back where I have a Tiviar Alpha plus combo tuner feeding freesat channels to Plex. There is a terrestrial tuner on it too but I haven’t gotten around to adding them. Will have a go later in the week and report back.

Is that a combo set top? How are you getting it feeding to plex? I was looking at a Hauppauge usb tuner plugged into the shield witha terrestrial supply into it but would prefer sat and terestrial like you say.

What tuner are you using? Im looking at plugging a tuner into the shield and having saorview on plex

I'm using a Blackgold tuner on a windows PC running Mediaportal. For now, I connect using Kodi as the client on the shield. I originally wanted to stream thru Plex or the Live channels app on the shield, as Kodi on my Windows HTPC was rather limiting, but as the shield is so fast at switching between kodi and other Apps, I'm happy to continue with Kodi as the interface for LiveTV.

Having said that, I've a cheap chinese USB DVB-T tuner on order so when that arrives, I try it out using a TVheadend server, now that there is a TVheadend interface for Live Channels.

Having said that, I've a cheap chinese USB DVB-T tuner on order so when that arrives, I try it out using a TVheadend server, now that there is a TVheadend interface for Live Channels.

Id love to hear the results of this when it arrives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭BandMember

Re: the aspect ratio query.

Just unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in. Usually works, but reboot if necessary.

• Advertisement
Advertisement