Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭bidiots

nedd wrote: »
    I have been at this for hours now. Working perfectly on iPad but refuses to work on Shield.

I have DNS set on the router, I have static routes set on Router. I have IP6 turned off, location services turned off.

BBC and ITV are working but Netflix is giving me the “You are using a Proxy” error. My head is melted.

Mine is in the box ready to go back. A lot of other things started acting up so the upshot is simple. It does not offer more than what i already have with chromecast/phone and mini pc. So it's going back. Life is too short to worry about this ****. I can see how people rave about the device but I already have an existing system that does all and doesn't cost another couple of hundred(ish).

adios

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭nedd

bidiots wrote: »
    Mine is in the box ready to go back. A lot of other things started acting up so the upshot is simple. It does not offer more than what i already have with chromecast/phone and mini pc. So it's going back. Life is too short to worry about this ****. I can see how people rave about the device but I already have an existing system that does all and doesn't cost another couple of hundred(ish).

adios

I’ll be honest with you, I have a shield for over a year and it is amazing. Kodi, Plex and games all work great. The UI is fast and smooth. Using GeForce Now I played The Witcher 3 for 80 hours and it was great. I can’t fault the Shield for just using it out of the box.
    The pain I am having with getting GetFlix up and running if of my own making. I really don’t need American Netflix or BBC catchup. But, because I have put so long into getting it working I feel like a failure. I could un-do all of the settings I have changed and no-one in my household will care.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Someone on reddit suggested clearing netflix app cache too

What Subreddit is that on? Is there a GetFlix one?

I will try as suggested and see what happens.

Thanks for all the help an apologies for hijacking the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Mr S, what layout changer app did you use on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Cyber Monday Sale on Emby premiere if anyone's interested
    https://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-442-cyber-monday-sale/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Really liking the Shield so far. However, Google Home doesn't seem to work for opening Kodi. Nor does it open Netflix, says it's not supported :/

Was going to purchase Getflix but find it runs very slow on my laptop, Netflix icons take ages to load, so that puts an end to my plans of adding bbc iplayer. However, Kodi is running very fast on it, excellent bit of kit. Just need to see if my mele remote will work with it now.

Benzino wrote: »
    Really liking the Shield so far. However, Google Home doesn't seem to work for opening Kodi. Nor does it open Netflix, says it's not supported :/

It doesn't work that way to open apps unless you use Google assistant on the Shield itself. You can cast to the Shield from a Google Home

It doesn't work that way to open apps unless you use Google assistant on the Shield itself. You can cast to the Shield from a Google Home

Hmm interesting, it opens Youtube for me. Its not a major issue anyway, it turns the shield on/off for me which is the main thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi all,

I have Plex server running fine on my Shield but can't use Plex client to watch content as for some reason the interface randomly starts to fast forward and no matter what remote (controller or remote) is used it constantly jumps forward to the point where it ends the movie. We might be 5-6 minutes into watching something with the two remotes on a coffee table and it will suddenly start fast forwarding. If we try to stop the fast forward and rewind as soon as we have it back to the point we were watching it'll either start fast forwarding again immediately or randomly some time later.

I tried disconnecting / powering off both remotes separately to identify if the issue was with one of them but to no avail. I even removed both remotes entirely (battery removed from the remote and battery dead on the controller) and just used the Android Remote app and the same problem occurs but only on Plex.

My temp workaround it to start a movie via Plex on a PC and then cast it to the Shield but that's not much of a solution so I'm thinking of installing Kodi and using it as a client to watch content on the Shield but keep Plex server running so other devices can be used by family members. Is Kodi the way to go? Has anyone used https://mrmc.tv which seems to have a Plex plugin?

• Advertisement

Hi all,

I have Plex server running fine on my Shield but can't use Plex client to watch content as for some reason the interface randomly starts to fast forward and no matter what remote (controller or remote) is used it constantly jumps forward to the point where it ends the movie. We might be 5-6 minutes into watching something with the two remotes on a coffee table and it will suddenly start fast forwarding. If we try to stop the fast forward and rewind as soon as we have it back to the point we were watching it'll either start fast forwarding again immediately or randomly some time later.

I tried disconnecting / powering off both remotes separately to identify if the issue was with one of them but to no avail. I even removed both remotes entirely (battery removed from the remote and battery dead on the controller) and just used the Android Remote app and the same problem occurs but only on Plex.

My temp workaround it to start a movie via Plex on a PC and then cast it to the Shield but that's not much of a solution so I'm thinking of installing Kodi and using it as a client to watch content on the Shield but keep Plex server running so other devices can be used by family members. Is Kodi the way to go? Has anyone used https://mrmc.tv which seems to have a Plex plugin?

What usb devices have you plugged in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Someone on reddit suggested clearing netflix app cache too
    Reckon should be fine regular,all applications

What usb devices have you plugged in?

Just a USB HDD

No but I will do straight away. Can't personally make the connection between a surround sound setting and Fast Forwarding on one app but I won't care if it works!!

Thanks for the tip, really appreciate it.

No but I will do straight away. Can't personally make the connection between a surround sound setting and Fast Forwarding on one app but I won't care if it works!!

Thanks for the tip, really appreciate it.

Yeah seems like a strange fix

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭QuadaLumpins

Hi all

I have a new Nvidia Shield arriving today.

I was hoping to use Plex for my media library, but was also hoping to get Plex premium to stream Irish TV. Is the Shield all the hardware I'd need for this or do I have to have a Saoirview box too (or some other hardware)???

(Apologies if this is a stupid question)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭tonkpills

Hi all

I have a new Nvidia Shield arriving today.

I was hoping to use Plex for my media library, but was also hoping to get Plex premium to stream Irish TV. Is the Shield all the hardware I'd need for this or do I have to have a Saoirview box too (or some other hardware)???

(Apologies if this is a stupid question)

You would need NVidia Shield, Plex Server & HDHomeRun or a VBox if you want to record one channel and view the other. Or if one stream is fine then DVBLogic TVButler.

tonkpills wrote: »
    You would need NVidia Shield, Plex Server & HDHomeRun or a VBox if you want to record one channel and view the other. Or if one stream is fine then DVBLogic TVButler.

I'm not interested in recording or DVR function. I just want to watch Irish TV. Is this possible without any other hardware or a Saoirview box/ariel?

I'm not interested in recording or DVR function. I just want to watch Irish TV. Is this possible without any other hardware or a Saoirview box/ariel?

Depends on the Saoirview box if it has a network port and can multi/uni cast. Otherwise, you can use https://www.aertv.ie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

IPTV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Xaniaj

nedd wrote: »
    I’ll be honest with you, I have a shield for over a year and it is amazing. Kodi, Plex and games all work great. The UI is fast and smooth. Using GeForce Now I played The Witcher 3 for 80 hours and it was great. I can’t fault the Shield for just using it out of the box.
    The pain I am having with getting GetFlix up and running if of my own making. I really don’t need American Netflix or BBC catchup. But, because I have put so long into getting it working I feel like a failure. I could un-do all of the settings I have changed and no-one in my household will care.

I'll be attempting this myself in the next few days. I really don't want to change the router settings so has anyone actually gotten Getflix working with changing the device settings only? Wondering if I splashed out on the 2 year subscription for nothing!

Xaniaj wrote: »
    I'll be attempting this myself in the next few days. I really don't want to change the router settings so has anyone actually gotten Getflix working with changing the device settings only? Wondering if I splashed out on the 2 year subscription for nothing!

Netflix doesn’t exactly know whether you are using a VPN or not, instead, it just blocks IP addresses it knows are shared among many people. You could, remove the DNS change and install OpenVPN from the Google Play Store and download Getflix profiles, import the different regions into OpenVPN to test it out. I used the nvidia shield app in the Google Play / App Store for using the mouse and keyboard without plugging one in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Really enjoying the Shield so far. Lovely clean interface. Very responsive. I'm looking for an app though for browsing photo galleries or playing a slideshow from an attached external drive.

So far the best I've found is Fotoo but wondering if anyone else has found other nice apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Xaniaj

Netflix doesn’t exactly know whether you are using a VPN or not, instead, it just blocks IP addresses it knows are shared among many people. You could, remove the DNS change and install OpenVPN from the Google Play Store and download Getflix profiles, import the different regions into OpenVPN to test it out. I used the nvidia shield app in the Google Play / App Store for using the mouse and keyboard without plugging one in.

Thanks - I'll give this a go later!

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

I got my Shield last week and love it.
    I was trying to use Plex on it the other day with the material all on a NAS on the network. I went into the Shield connected to the nas and can see all the shared folders but when I go back to plex on the shield, I can't see of the media listed.
    I know it's something small I'm not doing but can't figure it out.. Any ideas?

zefer wrote: »
    I was trying to use Plex on it the other day with the material all on a NAS on the network. I went into the Shield connected to the nas and can see all the shared folders but when I go back to plex on the shield, I can't see of the media listed.

You need to point Plex server to the network share and do a scan to bring this media into Plex

You need to point Plex server to the network share and do a scan to bring this media into Plex

Where do i that on Plex Server? I can't see the option anywhere in settings

Does your mounted folder appear in Network Storage section in settings? If so have you tried logging into the web interface of the Sheilds Plex server and adding the mounted folder to a collection? Web interface is http://ip.address.of.shield:32400/web

Where do i that on Plex Server? I can't see the option anywhere in settings

Login to Plex using your laptop and create a library

Does your mounted folder appear in Network Storage section in settings? If so have you tried logging into the web interface of the Sheilds Plex server and adding the mounted folder to a collection? Web interface is http://ip.address.of.shield:32400/web

ah, no that's the step i've left out. I'll try that later, cheers

• Advertisement

So I got my Shield 16gb yesterday and having fun setting it up for the last 24 hours!!

Maybe someone here can provide some help. I have a 6tb media HDD with folders for movies, TV shows, Bruce Lee, etc etc. I've plugged this into the Shield, but when I launch Plex I cant get it to see any of the folders (it sees the 6th HDD). I know I'm doing something stupid, but cant figure out what.

Any help greatly appreciated.

To be clear - I want to have the HDD plugged directly into the Shield not have a remote Plex server somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Have you added the folder via the web interface?

Plex doesn't automatically see your folders, you have to login to the server using the web browser page and point to your TV folder, you tell Plex this folder contains only TV shows, then it will scan them into the library and download artwork. Then do the same for movies, then music etc. Your media will have to be properly organised in the correct file structure and named correctly

Have you added the folder via the web interface?

No I have not.

So, do I plug the hdd into my laptop and "see" the folders via the Plex interface?

Plex doesn't automatically see your folders, you have to login to the server using the web browser page and point to your TV folder, you tell Plex this folder contains only TV shows, then it will scan them into the library and download artwork. Then do the same for movies, then music etc. Your media will have to be properly organised in the correct file structure and named correctly

That's very helpful thanks.

So, to clarify (please correct me if I'm wrong:
    1. Plug media HDD (with separate folders for "movies", "TV shows" etc) into laptop.
    2. Log into Plex web interface on laptop and let the web interface "see" the hdd folders on the laptop.
    3. Plug HDD back into Shield ... open Plex on Shield ...
    4. I should then be able to see all my media folders through Plex interface on Shield.

Will that work?

No I have not.

So, do I plug the hdd into my laptop and "see" the folders via the Plex interface?

1. Plug media HDD (with separate folders for "movies", "TV shows" etc) into laptop.
    2. Log into Plex web interface on laptop and let the web interface "see" the hdd folders on the laptop.
    4. I should then be able to see all my media folders through Plex interface on Shield.

Will that work?

No, leave the drive plugged into the Shield so it can see the folders. Open Plex in web browser on your laptop and look to create a library, it will guide you through it

No, leave the drive plugged into the Shield so it can see the folders. Open Plex in web browser on your laptop and look to create a library, it will guide you through it

That is great ... thank you.

I'm doing this now from my Dad's house (different wifi network) ... looks like I can see the Shield and the 6tb hdd from here. I'm adding a few folders now, but wont be home to test if everything works until tomorrow evening. I'll let you know if its a success then :)

Thanks again for the help its really appreciated.

One more question ... can I log into Plex from anywhere in the world and play my movies etc with this setup?

That is great ... thank you.

I'm doing this now from my Dad's house (different wifi network) ... looks like I can see the Shield and the 6tb hdd from here. I'm adding a few folders now, but wont be home to test if everything works until tomorrow evening. I'll let you know if its a success then :)

Thanks again for the help its really appreciated.

One more question ... can I log into Plex from anywhere in the world and play my movies etc with this setup?

You could be able to play them from there, under network it will show you whether your Plex is visible to the outside world. It will also depend on your internet connection.

One other Plex question ... will the 100's of movies and TV shows on the 6tb hdd use much/most of the Plex internal storage?

Will it have any effect on the performance of the Plex?

Is it possible to put this metadata on some other external drive?

Benzino wrote: »

Was able to sort this out, turns out you just say the name of the show "Hey Google play The Rain on Shield", and it opens Netflix and starts the show. We also have a Chromecast attached to the TV (no real need for it now I suppose), and saying the above without "Shield" uses the Chromecast instead.

Overall very impressed with this device, it's very snappy.

• Advertisement

No I have not.

Will that work?

Correct bar leave the HDD plugged into the Sheild through all of those steps. Have a look at Plex support articles they are very detailed https://support.plex.tv/articles/221099988-setting-up-and-managing-plex-media-server-on-nvidia-shield/

One other Plex question ... will the 100's of movies and TV shows on the 6tb hdd use much/most of the Plex internal storage?

If you go to settings in the Plex app on Shield you can point the storage to external drive. So you can have all of your movies and Plex media data on the 6TB drive. Having it on the external drive will slow it down a little but i doubt enough to cause hassle.

Yes, the metadata on 6TB of media could possibly fill that 16GB internal storage depending on what other games and stuff you install. You should consider adding something like this making sure you adopt it as internal storage (Google it)

SanDisk Ultra Fit 128 GB USB Flash Drive USB 3.0 up to 150 MB/s https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BGTG2A0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_jQL.BbZ4EXF10

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Bacchus wrote: »
    Really enjoying the Shield so far. Lovely clean interface. Very responsive. I'm looking for an app though for browsing photo galleries or playing a slideshow from an attached external drive.

So far the best I've found is Fotoo but wondering if anyone else has found other nice apps.

I just play from Google photos and use this but I believe it will also play from local storage.

Yes, the metadata on 6TB of media could possibly fill that 16GB internal storage depending on what other games and stuff you install. You should consider adding something like this making sure you adopt it as internal storage (Google it)

SanDisk Ultra Fit 128 GB USB Flash Drive USB 3.0 up to 150 MB/s https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BGTG2A0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_jQL.BbZ4EXF10

Can I transfer the Plex metadata already written to the Shield internal storage to a USB I put in after Plex has already been set up?

Is it as simple as cutting and pasting from the Shield internal storage to the USB?

OSI wrote: »
    I believe you'll have to move the app:

https://support.google.com/androidtv/answer/6299083?hl=en

Adopting storage gives you the option to move what's available for moving. The latest versions of Plex the metadata folders are movable. They recommend you disable video preview thumbnail generation

https://support.plex.tv/articles/221099648-limitations-when-running-plex-media-server-on-nvidia-shield/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I just play from Google photos and use this but I believe it will also play from local storage.

Cheers, I'll try that one out as well... hmmm, wonder would it connect to my SmugMug account too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Is there a general consensus on the easiest way of sideloading apps? Just got a Shield this week and downloaded Chrome so I can download APK's directly - is that the easiest way? Chrome seems very finicky with the remote.

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Is there a general consensus on the easiest way of sideloading apps? Just got a Shield this week and downloaded Chrome so I can download APK's directly - is that the easiest way? Chrome seems very finicky with the remote.

Puffin browser is better on Android TV , its in the play store

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Puffin browser is better on Android TV , its in the play store

I'll download that now - cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Best cheap remote until my Nvidia one somehow shows up again? :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement