Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Squaredude

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Best cheap remote until my Nvidia one somehow shows up again? :o

Get the remote app for your phone https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nvidia.shield.remote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Is there a general consensus on the easiest way of sideloading apps? Just got a Shield this week and downloaded Chrome so I can download APK's directly - is that the easiest way? Chrome seems very finicky with the remote.

Could put them on a USB stick and install them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

If anyone is stuck and needs a replacement remote I have one never used but the batteries have expired, have a Harmony and 2x game controllers so I'm hardly likely to need it. Send me a pm.

xtal191 wrote: »
    Could put them on a USB stick and install them

I use a network share, the easiest way once setup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

I use a network share, the easiest way once setup

Would Google drive no be easier.download on phone send to drive then access on the shield

massy086 wrote: »
    Would Google drive no be easier.download on phone send to drive then access on the shield

Same thing. I download apps on phone and send them to remote folder. Whatever works for you. There are plenty of ways.
    Personally I don't want Google drive or Gmail on my Shield though, the less signed in stuff the better. I don't even sign into YouTube. But everyone's different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Is there a general consensus on the easiest way of sideloading apps? Just got a Shield this week and downloaded Chrome so I can download APK's directly - is that the easiest way? Chrome seems very finicky with the remote.

Aptoide for Android tv is handy,
    Otherwise google is fine with shield app for mouse control

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Aptoide for Android tv is handy,
    Otherwise google is fine with shield app for mouse control

I just got a shield today is there any apps bar Kodi I should install.also is there a Kodi with voice search

massy086 wrote: »
    I just got a shield today is there any apps bar Kodi I should install.also is there a Kodi with voice search

Retrox if you're into gaming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Any one else notice plex showing a status underneath it's icon on the home screen saying update pending?

Mines been like this for a few days now, but no update seems to be applied:

Even within the play store, nothing. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Anyone change the default launcher using adb?

Can't get use to the installed launcher and tried others and TV launcher seems best. However if I get sick of that do I have to do factory reset to go back to leanback?

Not rooted and no interest in doing it

Ok having some issues with Sound

Have Samsung TV and using couple of remotes. The NVidia, Minix A2 lite (for mouse) and Harmony elite remote(just synched some buttons) Have Amp connected via Optical settings. Also Hdmi cable connected

I can turn the Shield on using the Harmony remote and assigned buttons on this to go into TV settings. The minix remote I use for mouse but sometimes back and select buttons don’t work so have to revert to NVidia remote

I have Stbemu installed and the sound was very low. Checked everything and all the volumes was up but sound was very low did not have the amp on. Went into the settings on the shield and changed the CEC and turned this on and then could control the volume via the harmony remote. So when I don’t want the volume to high we use the sound via the tv and others I switch on the AMP using Harmony Activities option

Was working previously. Ideally just want to have one remote and ordered one so waiting on this but just wondering if any settings need to change.

Note I am also googling and YouTubing this issue so looking there also

Any recommended settings or something I need to change

Ok having some issues with Sound

Have Samsung TV and using couple of remotes. The NVidia, Minix A2 lite (for mouse) and Harmony elite remote(just synched some buttons) Have Amp connected via Optical settings. Also Hdmi cable connected

I can turn the Shield on using the Harmony remote and assigned buttons on this to go into TV settings. The minix remote I use for mouse but sometimes back and select buttons don’t work so have to revert to NVidia remote

I have Stbemu installed and the sound was very low. Checked everything and all the volumes was up but sound was very low did not have the amp on. Went into the settings on the shield and changed the CEC and turned this on and then could control the volume via the harmony remote. So when I don’t want the volume to high we use the sound via the tv and others I switch on the AMP using Harmony Activities option

Was working previously. Ideally just want to have one remote and ordered one so waiting on this but just wondering if any settings need to change.

Note I am also googling and YouTubing this issue so looking there also

Any recommended settings or something I need to change

It's not recommended use CEC with Harmony as it can cause issues. Your harmony activity volume should be set to the receiver anyway. I have a similar setup although I have HDMI out from the Shield going to a HDMI switch which has optical out going to my receiver. I use passthrough in Kodi to pass to the receiver and have it set to AC3 and DTS capable and to downmix DTS plus, DTS HD etc to Dolby Digital. There is a setting on the Shield in sound settings to pass audio control to external devices.

Sorry, had a reread, what are you trying to do? Use both receiver and TV speakers? That's just crazy. You'll struggle with that one. Just use the receiver leave the TV down at zero. That's what I do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Sorry, had a reread, what are you trying to do? Use both receiver and TV speakers? That's just crazy. You'll struggle with that one. Just use the receiver leave the TV down at zero. That's what I do

Thats the way I'm reading it too?

I use mine in pretty much the same way as you, all audio passed to the receiver and TV speakers off.

Also a +1 on not using the CEC functions with a harmony, it messes up the activities.
    Use either a Harmony remote, or CEC with the TV remote.
    Not both

banie01 wrote: »
    Thats the way I'm reading it too?

I use mine in pretty much the same way as you, all audio passed to the receiver and TV speakers off.

Also a +1 on not using the CEC functions with a harmony, it messes up the activities.
    Use either a Harmony remote, or CEC with the TV remote.
    Not both

Just trying to get use to it. We use the Amp and surround speakers the odd time when watching it but sometimes its to loud and need to be able to turn volume down.Would go into settings on TV and select output as optical line so this would cut out the TV sound if we wanted to use surround sound and vice versa if we just wanted tv sound and turn off the amp. Was trying to synch the remote for the amp so that I can use this but previously I used the Minix remote. I might try mess around later and see how if I can turn the volume on TV down to zero and just use amp when watching shield for volume. Need to check activity I have set up on the harmony and see if I can turn tv volume down

Just trying to get use to it. We use the Amp and surround speakers the odd time when watching it but sometimes its to loud and need to be able to turn volume down.Would go into settings on TV and select output as optical line so this would cut out the TV sound if we wanted to use surround sound and vice versa if we just wanted tv sound and turn off the amp. Was trying to synch the remote for the amp so that I can use this but previously I used the Minix remote. I might try mess around later and see how if I can turn the volume on TV down to zero and just use amp when watching shield for volume. Need to check activity I have set up on the harmony and see if I can turn tv volume down

You will struggle. Think about it. If you setup the Shield to use passthrough to your receiver your Harmony will not be able to change these Android settings back to downmix to stereo for use on the TV so anything with stereo sound will work but anything with surround will have no sound out on the TV

Actually thinking about it it may be possible with two different Harmony activities if you set the Shield up to output at 2.0 over HDMI but use passthrough in Kodi settings etc. Netflix would output in 2.0 (because it's Dolby Digital Plus which does not work over optical) probably upscaled to Pro Logic by your receiver but this would be the case anyway.

Actually thinking about it it may be possible with two different Harmony activities if you set the Shield up to output at 2.0 over HDMI but use passthrough in Kodi settings etc. Netflix would output in 2.0 (because it's Dolby Digital Plus which does not work over optical) probably upscaled to Pro Logic by your receiver but this would be the case anyway.

Ok need to understand this more bit confusing:confused:

I have 2 activities set up on the Harmony. One for the TV turns TV on HDMI 1 and AMP left off. That's seems to work ok just sometimes it turns on TV and opens hdmi2 bit switches to hdmi1

Second activity is turn tv on, turn amp on turn shield on using hdmi 2. That's working ok

So previously I was using an android box and when I set up activity for this would turn on tv, box, amp and set to hdmi2 but sound would come out of the TV and the AMP. Thus in the tv settings I would change accordingly to sound output and no issues with volume and I could control the volume via the minix lite remote

However with Shield volume not great when using STbemu etc.Not using Kodi using also IPTV smarters and other 'apps'

need to read up more what passthrough is:confused:

Passthrough doesn't touch the audio, it passes it through to your receiver untouched for it to do the processing. Does the receiver tell you the format of the audio it's receiving?

Where does the optical to the receiver connect? Is it to the TV? Does it passthrough? And more importantly does it support Dolby formats (most don't as it's extra for a Dolby licence and output stereo)?

• Advertisement

Passthrough doesn't touch the audio, it passes it through to your receiver untouched for it to do the processing. Does the receiver tell you the format of the audio it's receiving?

Where does the optical to the receiver connect? Is it to the TV? Does it passthrough? And more importantly does it support Dolby formats (most don't as it's extra for a Dolby licence and output stereo)?

"Does the receiver tell you the format of the audio it's receiving"

Where can I find this info?

"Where does the optical to the receiver connect? Is it to the TV? Does it passthrough? And more importantly does it support Dolby formats (most don't as it's extra for a Dolby licence and output stereo)?"

Amp is Yamaha RX V359 see image below
    https://www.world-import.com/images/D/rxv359_rtl.jpg

I connect the optical cable directly from TV to Amp Not sure if it passthrough or if supports Dolby formats?

Does the display on the amp not give some sort of indication which sound format is playing. Stereo, AAC, Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Digital, DTS etc

The majority of TVs output in stereo over optical as they don't want to pay Dolby for the licence to do Dolby formats. I've this issue myself which is why I added a HDMI switch with optical and use passthrough settings in Kodi. I have an older device like you with optical, you need to be careful how you set it up as optical doesn't do the modern formats DTS plus (used by Netflix), DTS HD or Dolby TRUEHD and you end up with normal stereo.

It does sound like with your previous box this box was always downmixing to stereo. That the Shield is now sending Ac3 and that you're only hearing left and right of a 5.1 channel audio

Does the display on the amp not give some sort of indication which sound format is playing. Stereo, AAC, Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Digital, DTS etc

The majority of TVs output in stereo over optical as they don't want to pay Dolby for the licence to do Dolby formats. I've this issue myself which is why I added a HDMI switch with optical and use passthrough settings in Kodi. I have an older device like you with optical, you need to be careful how you set it up as optical doesn't do the modern formats DTS plus (used by Netflix), DTS HD or Dolby TRUEHD and you end up with normal stereo.

It does sound like with your previous box this box was always downmixing to stereo. That the Shield is now sending Ac3 and that you're only hearing left and right of a 5.1 channel audio

Yes the AMP does display format, not at home but does have those options from memory

Never looked at sound set up. Is best bet to get HDMI Switch and any that you can recommend and easy to set up & work best with the shield, tv and amp?

Was thinking of selling amp and sub woofer as old and maybe pick up a Sonos Sound bar would it be better in the long term, less cables that would be a plus

Yes the AMP does display format, not at home but does have those options from memory

Never looked at sound set up. Is best bet to get HDMI Switch and any that you can recommend and easy to set up & work best with the shield, tv and amp?

If you have an AV amp, there is no need for a switch.
    AV amps are designed specifically to allow multiple inputs to be mapped to a single display and switch between those inputs.

The usual way would be to connect your source devices to the amp, then amp to TV.
    Quick example would be my setup, Shield, PS4 and Satellite Receiver connected to inputs 1, 2 and 3 of my amp with a HDMI from output 1 of amp connected to the TV.

All volumes are controlled via the amp.
    The Shield is set via display and sound option in settings to allow external control.

My Harmony activities are then as follows.
    TV = TV on set to HDMI 1, Amp on Set to HDMI 1, Satellite on, Volume controlled by Amp
    Shield = TV on set to HDMI 1, Amp on Set to HDMI 2, Shield on, Volume controlled by Amp
    PS4 = TV on set to HDMI 1, Amp on Set to HDMI 3, Volume controlled by Amp.

No need for additional switch, only real reason to even run an optical cable back to your amp is if you use the TV's tuner rather than a Virgin/Sky/Saorview box and even then it can lead to audio delay.

banie01 wrote: »
    If you have an AV amp, there is no need for a switch.
    AV amps are designed specifically to allow multiple inputs to be mapped to a single display and switch between those inputs.

The usual way would be to connect your source devices to the amp, then amp to TV.
    Quick example would be my setup, Shield, PS4 and Satellite Receiver connected to inputs 1, 2 and 3 of my amp with a HDMI from output 1 of amp connected to the TV.

All volumes are controlled via the amp.
    The Shield is set via display and sound option in settings to allow external control.

My Harmony activities are then as follows.
    TV = TV on set to HDMI 1, Amp on Set to HDMI 1, Satellite on, Volume controlled by Amp
    Shield = TV on set to HDMI 1, Amp on Set to HDMI 2, Shield on, Volume controlled by Amp
    PS4 = TV on set to HDMI 1, Amp on Set to HDMI 3, Volume controlled by Amp.

No need for additional switch, only real reason to even run an optical cable back to your amp is if you use the TV's tuner rather than a Virgin/Sky/Saorview box and even then it can lead to audio delay.

His amp is an older amp that doesn't have HDMI

His amp is an older amp that doesn't have HDMI

Thanks for that, hadn't seen.
    Your advice on the switch is a good option then, altho for the price of a good automatic switch I'd lean towards a new amp ;)

• Advertisement

Was thinking of selling amp and sub woofer as old and maybe pick up a Sonos Sound bar would it be better in the long term, less cables that would be a plus

I got my hdmi switch on Amazon in Dec 2014. It's no longer available so I can't recommend it. You need to search for 4x1 hdmi switch with toslink. Make sure whatever one you get comes with a remote that you can program to the Harmony remote (I had to manually make Harmony learn the 4 commands for hdmi 1 to 4)

Being an audiophile I'm not a fan of soundbars at all. I have surround sound in 2 rooms :p

I got my hdmi switch on Amazon in Dec 2014. It's no longer available so I can't recommend it. You need to search for 4x1 hdmi switch with toslink. Make sure whatever one you get comes with a remote that you can program to the Harmony remote (I had to manually make Harmony learn the 4 commands for hdmi 1 to 4)

Being an audiophile I'm not a fan of soundbars at all. I have surround sound in 2 rooms :p

Ok so any of the below with remote

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=4x1+hdmi+switch+with+toslink

Then connect the cables from the amp to tv via this and also hdmi cable from the shield to tv. I also have Virgin horizon box cables also to connect so what would go where?

That correct or how would it work?

I have enough wires behind the TV already so thus reason for soundbar and Junior beginning to try to get into them

Ok so any of the below with remote

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=4x1+hdmi+switch+with+toslink

Then connect the cables from the amp to tv via this and also hdmi cable from the shield to tv. I also have Virgin horizon box cables also to connect so what would go where?

That correct or how would it work?

I have enough wires behind the TV already so thus reason for soundbar and Junior beginning to try to get into them

Yep. Something to note when you're picking one. Hdmi 2.0 is what's needed for the bandwidth for 4k. Hdmi 1.4 does 4k but is limited to 30fps.

4x1 means 4 devices in (inputs) one device out (output to TV). I have my Shield and my Tiviar satellite box going through mine. I had 4 devices on mine at one stage, Tiviar, mini PC, Chromecast and raspberry pi running Retropi for emulator games but relaxing the PC with the Shield merged 3 of them into one single device :D

Yep. Something to note when you're picking one. Hdmi 2.0 is what's needed for the bandwidth for 4k. Hdmi 1.4 does 4k but is limited to 30fps.

4x1 means 4 devices in (inputs) one device out (output to TV). I have my Shield and my Tiviar satellite box going through mine. I had 4 devices on mine at one stage, Tiviar, mini PC, Chromecast and raspberry pi running Retropi for emulator games but relaxing the PC with the Shield merged 3 of them into one single device :D

Ok I need to check what current I have set up at home what's going into the TV from the Amp, virgin box and shield and see what I need. Just have to convince Miss Gunner now that more wires behind the TV that's the difficult bit

Ok I need to check what current I have set up at home what's going into the TV from the Amp, virgin box and shield and see what I need. Just have to convince Miss Gunner now that more wires behind the TV that's the difficult bit

With a Harmony remote you can hide them away and use the IR blaster for the TV O:-)

• Advertisement

With a Harmony remote you can hide them away and use the IR blaster for the TV O:-)

Okay have 3 hdmi slots on TV. 2 are taken
    By shield and virgin box. Optimal lead from amp also in TV.

Which of the switches is best for me so that all these will work. So I put lead from virgin box into hdmi port 1 on switch box and shield lead into hdmi port 2 on switch. Then put optimal lead into switch. Do all boxes have optimal port?

Then one lead from switch box to TV? Does it matter which hdmi port on tv?

Then i set up activity like below?

Turn tv on... Tv on, hdmi switch 1on,virgin box on
    Turn shield on... Tv on, hdmi switch 2 on, shield on, amp on

If i only want the sound to come from the TV but when watching shield I want it to come from Amp what settings should I use on harmony hub.

This is the only one I can find that does hdmi 2.0, it's a 3x2 which means 3x inputs 2x outputs. It also supports HDMI ARC which you may use in future
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/STBOHKSD-Switcher-Splitter-Extractor-Supports-BLACK/dp/B07JK2NCHS/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1543952957&sr=1-3-spons&keywords=4x1+hdmi+switch+with+toslink&psc=1

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/hdmi-arc-explained-works-care/

Your devices would all send audio to the switch using HDMI. The switch extracts the audio and sends it to the receiver using optical and sends video to the TV using HDMI

To setup Harmony. Setup 2 different activities one with Shield, TV, HDMI switch and receiver as audio device, the other with Shield, HDMI switch and the TV no receiver. Your volume controls will then be controlling different devices depending on the activity you have running. You won't be able to automatically change Android sound settings using Harmony therefore you need to leave your sound on auto and setup passthrough in any app that offers it like Kodi. Android should automatically do passthrough and give surround where available falling back to 2.0 which your receiver will upscale to Pro Logic, your TV will just output 2.0.

Kodi is a brilliant app for the audio options it gives. It gives the settings options to downmix DTS HD, DTS plus and True HD to standard Dolby Digital. I had trouble with the Plex client, could not get it to work nicely with passthrough, it always downmixed even with formats that are supported. Emby on the other hand does not have any settings options for passthrough but just worked out of the box. Netflix only outputs in Dolby Digital plus or 2.0 stereo so it's always stereo to the receiver upscaled to Pro Logic.
    I use Kodi lots, I even use it as a client for Emby with the Emby for Kodi add-on.

To setup Harmony. Setup 2 different activities one with Shield, TV, HDMI switch and receiver as audio device, the other with Shield, HDMI switch and the TV no receiver. Your volume controls will then be controlling different devices depending on the activity you have running. You won't be able to automatically change Android sound settings using Harmony therefore you need to leave your sound on auto and setup passthrough in any app that offers it like Kodi. Android should automatically do passthrough and give surround where available falling back to 2.0 which your receiver will upscale to Pro Logic, your TV will just output 2.0.

Kodi is a brilliant app for the audio options it gives. It gives the settings options to downmix DTS HD, DTS plus and True HD to standard Dolby Digital. I had trouble with the Plex client, could not get it to work nicely with passthrough, it always downmixed even with formats that are supported. Emby on the other hand does not have any settings options for passthrough but just worked out of the box. Netflix only outputs in Dolby Digital plus or 2.0 stereo so it's always stereo to the receiver upscaled to Pro Logic.
    I use Kodi lots, I even use it as a client for Emby with the Emby for Kodi add-on.

Cheers

Ordered it so see how it works out.

Was using Shield to watch film last night and just change the audio settings to Line in. Maybe not getting the full benefit of sound.Rarely use Kodi more of a back up for other apps

Will try to see if the remote for Switch can be found by Harmony or if not then manually add it.

I aim to only have 2 remotes but its all the wiring at the back of the TV that I need to clean up. With TV, Virgin box, Amp, Woofer, Harmony remote charger,Hue Strip lights and now Switch Its getting crowded at the back of the TV. I need to clean these up some how or tie them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lads if anyone needs one I'll have a harmony elite remote for sale with the hub and charging cradle in next few days I'm waiting on a new companion remote and hub to arive from Amazon the wife doesn't like the touch screen on the elite and I need be able use it as my main remote now.

Its under 2 years old and I'll keep the old hub and include the new hub with elite remote 80 plus postage for boardsie price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Best cheap remote until my Nvidia one somehow shows up again? :o

Can't reply to your message mate your too popular with your full inbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

jayo26 wrote:
    Can't reply to your message mate your too popular with your full inbox.

Haha sorry. I'll delete some now

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Barney224

Is it possible to have Plex set up reading from a Fritz NAS drive? I have a hard drive plugged into my Fritzbox as a NAS Media server, but I can't seem to be able to point Plex to this drive to read the movies.

Barney224 wrote: »
    Is it possible to have Plex set up reading from a Fritz NAS drive? I have a hard drive plugged into my Fritzbox as a NAS Media server, but I can't seem to be able to point Plex to this drive to read the movies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Living_Network_Alliance
    I'd say you have your storage setup on the Fritzbox using DLNA. Plex will not support it (although itself can also act as DLNA server). You will need to use cifs
    https://en.avm.de/service/fritzbox/fritzbox-7490/knowledge-base/publication/show/543_Configuring-storage-NAS-on-the-computer-as-a-network-drive/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Living_Network_Alliance
    I'd say you have your storage setup on the Fritzbox using DLNA. Plex will not support it (although itself can also act as DLNA server). You will need to use cifs
    https://en.avm.de/service/fritzbox/fritzbox-7490/knowledge-base/publication/show/543_Configuring-storage-NAS-on-the-computer-as-a-network-drive/

Sorry, not sure what you mean here! I updated the following settings on my Win 10 PC according to that link....

467647.jpg

So, how do I get Plex to read the drive that's attached to Fritzbox?

• Advertisement

Sorry, not sure what you mean here! I updated the following settings on my Win 10 PC according to that link....

467647.jpg

So, how do I get Plex to read the drive that's attached to Fritzbox?

What happens when in file manager you go to network and go to \\ipoffritzbox\

What happens when in file manager you go to network and go to \\ipoffritzbox\

I get this message

467664.jpg

The drive is appearing for me as a network drive and I'm able to access all of my media:

467665.jpg

But I'm still unsure as to how to get Plex to point to this from my Shield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭ondafly

I get this message

467664.jpg

The drive is appearing for me as a network drive and I'm able to access all of my media:

467665.jpg

And if you browse to \\fritz-nas\ does that work ?

ondafly wrote: »
    And if you browse to \\fritz-nas\ does that work ?

Yes, I can see the Fritzbox and my NAS drive (USB Hard drive) and all the folders/files.

I get this message

467664.jpg

467665.jpg

Yes you've just proven it's working. The error message on Windows 10 is just a warning that you're using an older SMB1 protocol. Confirm you have full read write access by creating and deleting a file

Now you need to mount that path on the Shield in storage settings. It will probably not let you add it without a username and password, so just make up one. The NAS drive will then show as local storage on the Shield making it available to the Plex (and any other) apps on the Shield

Yes you've just proven it's working. The error message on Windows 10 is just a warning that you're using an older SMB1 protocol. Confirm you have full read write access by creating and deleting a file

Now you need to mount that path on the Shield in storage settings. It will probably not let you add it without a username and password, so just make up one. The NAS drive will then show as local storage on the Shield making it available to the Plex (and any other) apps on the Shield

ahh cool. I didn't know you could add an external drive to Shield! :rolleyes:

So, when that's added, what do I do next in Plex? Sorry for all these stupid questions, but I haven't a clue about any of this

ahh cool. I didn't know you could add an external drive to Shield! :rolleyes:

So, when that's added, what do I do next in Plex? Sorry for all these stupid questions, but I haven't a clue about any of this

You're adding it as network storage. With a network folder all the devices in your house can connect to it. Once you've mapped network storage on the Shield it will appear as a local folder in file manager apps on the Shield. If you're looking for a file manager on the Shield get Xplore file manager there's another called ES file explorer that's been known as a dodgy app gathering your info, you should avoid it.

Plex doesn't just scan for files, you must point it to the folder for TV shows telling it where to scan, then you do the same for movies, then music. When you add a media source to your Plex library you will be able to browse this network storage drive to show it where your media is stored on this network drive as you would if the drive was plugged direct into the Shield

You're adding it as network storage. With a network folder all the devices in your house can connect to it. Once you've mapped network storage on the Shield it will appear as a local folder in file manager apps on the Shield. If you're looking for a file manager on the Shield get Xplore file manager there's another called ES file explorer that's been known as a dodgy app gathering your info, you should avoid it.

Plex doesn't just scan for files, you must point it to the folder for TV shows telling it where to scan, then you do the same for movies, then music. When you add a media source to your Plex library you will be able to browse this network storage drive to show it where your media is stored on this network drive as you would if the drive was plugged direct into the Shield

Cheers for all your help on this! I'll get this set up today. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Not sure if it's my imagination, but I think that the YouTube app is displaying bigger than my TV. It might be dodgy camera work, but some videos I've been watching have stuff off the bottom of the screen that they seem to think I should be able to see. Is this something that I can adjust?

• Advertisement

xckjoo wrote: »
    Not sure if it's my imagination, but I think that the YouTube app is displaying bigger than my TV. It might be dodgy camera work, but some videos I've been watching have stuff off the bottom of the screen that they seem to think I should be able to see. Is this something that I can adjust?

Are you sure it's not zoom setting on the TV itself. Hdmi usually gets the resolution and aspect ratio right.

Advertisement