Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Are you sure it's not zoom setting on the TV itself. Hdmi usually gets the resolution and aspect ratio right.

I'm not sure at all. Could have just been crappy camera work :D. Good suggestion though. I'll have a look.

Can someone tell me the term for what I'm describing? Finding it hard to look up the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭nedd

xckjoo wrote: »
    I'm not sure at all. Could have just been crappy camera work :D. Good suggestion though. I'll have a look.

Can someone tell me the term for what I'm describing? Finding it hard to look up the problem

Overscan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭54and56

Yes, the metadata on 6TB of media could possibly fill that 16GB internal storage depending on what other games and stuff you install. You should consider adding something like this making sure you adopt it as internal storage (Google it)

SanDisk Ultra Fit 128 GB USB Flash Drive USB 3.0 up to 150 MB/s https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BGTG2A0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_jQL.BbZ4EXF10

High HHB, I just added the exact flash drive you recommended (£26 in the Black Friday sale on Amazon so a bit of a bargain) and went through the process of adding it as internal storage so the Shield formatted it and then moved some data to it and in Settings -> Storage & reset it now shows Device Storage as both Internal shared storage with 12GB and SanDisk USB drive with 121GB.

The option of "Transfer files to a computer using USB" is NOT selected but "TRansfer files over local network" is with one Mount network storage listed which is my 2TB NAS.

Is that the set up complete? I'd been getting low storage/memory error messages intermittently which I guess were related to the fact I run Plex server from the Shield so I'm hoping this extra internal storage will resolve that issue.

Do you know if I need to do anything in Plex to ensure Plex uses the 121GB USB drive for metadata etc or will that happen automatically?

Sorry if I'm wrecking your head but you seem to be the go to man in relation to this!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

High HHB, I just added the exact flash drive you recommended (£26 in the Black Friday sale on Amazon so a bit of a bargain) and went through the process of adding it as internal storage so the Shield formatted it and then moved some data to it and in Settings -> Storage & reset it now shows Device Storage as both Internal shared storage with 12GB and SanDisk USB drive with 121GB.

The option of "Transfer files to a computer using USB" is NOT selected but "TRansfer files over local network" is with one Mount network storage listed which is my 2TB NAS.

Is that the set up complete? I'd been getting low storage/memory error messages intermittently which I guess were related to the fact I run Plex server from the Shield so I'm hoping this extra internal storage will resolve that issue.

Do you know if I need to do anything in Plex to ensure Plex uses the 121GB USB drive for metadata etc or will that happen automatically?

Sorry if I'm wrecking your head but you seem to be the go to man in relation to this!!!

Yeah I think that should do it. Although I've never used the Shield myself as a Plex server and I'm also 3 months moved to Emby so it's better to get someone who has direct experience with the Plex metadata on a Shield to comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

^Fair play THHB.

Between this thread and your Tiviar sat box thread, you really should be getting paid for the level of tech support you give round here!

Much appreciated.
    Boards should have a 'buy this guy a beer' button.

• Advertisement

UsedToWait wrote: »
    ^Fair play THHB.

Between this thread and your Tiviar sat box thread, you really should be getting paid for the level of tech support you give round here!

Much appreciated.
    Boards should have a 'buy this guy a beer' button.

I've been off work sick, when I'm back to work you'll see less of me, honestly :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

OmegaGene wrote: »
    100% agree
    Good advice is hard to come by but high horse is always on hand to save the day

Your own advice has been great too, OG, though you get your beer so cheap on the booze thread that it wouldn't be worth buying you a beer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

Sorry if this has been discussed already (I did a search I swear!) -
    Is it possible to run the Vodafone TV Anywhere app on the Shield?
    I've tried loading a few different (latest version) APK's for what seemed to be for the Irish app.
    Each one when I tried to launch I would see my TV go into portrait mode momentarily and then close the app. Cheers

VonZan wrote: »
    How does the Firestick 4k compare to the shield? Obviously it's much cheaper but I have a shield and am looking for a box in another room. Am I wasting my time looking elsewhere and just buy another shield?

Also, not to keen on using IPTV and 4K content through WiFi. Are there any other boxes I should be looking at?

Those with them say they're great although you miss out on the Google stuff like Cast and are pushed towards Alexa instead of Google Assistant. If that makes a difference to you.

I have a MiBox with usb Ethernet adapter in the kitchen to keep mine consistent with the Shield. It's only a HD TV though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Squaredude

VonZan wrote: »
    How does the Firestick 4k compare to the shield? Obviously it's much cheaper but I have a shield and am looking for a box in another room. Am I wasting my time looking elsewhere and just buy another shield?

Also, not to keen on using IPTV and 4K content through WiFi. Are there any other boxes I should be looking at?

The Mi Box S looks pretty decent

• Advertisement

I've today started getting phantom random controller button press issues on mine that I'm struggling to get to the bottom of. It happens in Kodi, but also is happening in a Steam game on GeforceNow. I've done the usual reboot and stuff and have my 2 game controllers on charge so am only using a Harmony. Nothing seems to be fixing this. It's annoying. Was watching a show and it suddenly started fast forwarding. Anyone got any ideas before I tear my hair out? It doesn't do it on the main home screen, only in apps

A new issue seems to have popped up for me. I'll turn off the TV through the TV remote and then 5-10 mins later it turns itself back on on the Shield channel. I've even tried putting the Shield to sleep instead of just turning off the TV and it's still happening. Anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

A new issue seems to have popped up for me. I'll turn off the TV through the TV remote and then 5-10 mins later it turns itself back on on the Shield channel. I've even tried putting the Shield to sleep instead of just turning off the TV and it's still happening. Anyone any ideas?
    Maybe try turn of cec on the shield

massy086 wrote: »
    Maybe try turn of cec on the shield

Ya thought of that one but without CEC it makes the whole thing a lot less practical since I'll now have to use two remotes. Looks like I'm not the only one with this problem though (see link below). There's one or two other potential solutions on this thread that I'll try first

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1009104/nvidia-shield-keeps-turning-on-with-receiver-even-though-hdmi-cec-is-off/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I've today started getting phantom random controller button press issues on mine that I'm struggling to get to the bottom of. It happens in Kodi, but also is happening in a Steam game on GeforceNow. I've done the usual reboot and stuff and have my 2 game controllers on charge so am only using a Harmony. Nothing seems to be fixing this. It's annoying. Was watching a show and it suddenly started fast forwarding. Anyone got any ideas before I tear my hair out? It doesn't do it on the main home screen, only in apps

Don't game a lot with mine on the geo end of things.

Anyway, downloaded deerhunter this evening and I'll be damned if I can figure out how to fire they rifle.

As above I'm putting it down to a dodgy controller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Don't game a lot with mine on the geo end of things.

Anyway, downloaded deerhunter this evening and I'll be damned if I can figure out how to fire they rifle.

As above I'm putting it down to a dodgy controller.

No, it's the game. Can't fire either and the controller works fine for everything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

No, it's the game. Can't fire either and the controller works fine for everything else.

WTF :confused:

You'd have to wonder why they're leaving a game that is obviously flawed up there tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Transferring basic files via USB which has been a basis function on electronic devices for over a decade is so needlessly confusing on the Shield TV, to the point where I'm already having buyers remorse only 1 week in. It's not helped using ES File explorer on a telly when its clearly not designed for the remote/controller.
    The app store is noticeably poor too, its like there are around 70 apps available besides cheap free games. I've seen a few videos on how to get the full app store but haven't tried it as a few say in the comments it doesn't work.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Transferring basic files via USB which has been a basis function on electronic devices for over a decade is so needlessly confusing on the Shield TV, to the point where I'm already having buyers remorse only 1 week in. It's not helped using ES File explorer on a telly when its clearly not designed for the remote/controller.
    The app store is noticeably poor too, its like there are around 70 apps available besides cheap free games. I've seen a few videos on how to get the full app store but haven't tried it as a few say in the comments it doesn't work.

Es is full of spyware. Get xplore file manager
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lonelycatgames.Xplore

Only apps that have proper support for Android TV are in the play store. Get Aptoide
    https://en.aptoide.com/

Ya thought of that one but without CEC it makes the whole thing a lot less practical since I'll now have to use two remotes. Looks like I'm not the only one with this problem though (see link below). There's one or two other potential solutions on this thread that I'll try first

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1009104/nvidia-shield-keeps-turning-on-with-receiver-even-though-hdmi-cec-is-off/

Looks like I fixed it by disabling the CEC control on the shield to turn on the tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭BandMember

Bit of a weird one this.... Can anyone explain why even though I have the language set to English, when I try to search the Playstore or install user credentials on an app, my keyboard is coming up as Greek or Russian (don't know what language to be honest, just guessing) - any ideas, please? I'm stumped!! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

I got the 16gb one on amazon on the reduced price only getting around to setting it up now - I have noticed that internal storage is saying 12 GB . Have I been conned ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭nedd

Daz_ wrote: »
    I got the 16gb one on amazon on the reduced price only getting around to setting it up now - I have noticed that internal storage is saying 12 GB . Have I been conned ?

That is always the case when buying a phone or something. Some of the internal storage is used for OS. Perfectly normal.

Get a usb 3 flash drive and adopt it as internal storage
    SanDisk Ultra Fit 128 GB USB Flash Drive USB 3.0 up to 150 MB/s https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BGTG2A0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_g7ceCbABEZZN2

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Any apk recommendations?
    Or can we mention the likes of.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭BandMember

ERG89 wrote: »
    Any apk recommendations?
    Or can we mention the likes of (name of apps removed)

Nope. Thread will be closed, just like the thread on Android Boxes (warning in the title). Just to be on the safe side, can you remove the names of the apps that you mentioned, please? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

The new rte player app can cast to the shield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭thurlesdrunk

Get a usb 3 flash drive and adopt it as internal storage
    SanDisk Ultra Fit 128 GB USB Flash Drive USB 3.0 up to 150 MB/s https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BGTG2A0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_g7ceCbABEZZN2

Do you get any overheating with this flash drive? It's not on the list of recommended sticks;

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4334/~/what-usb-flash-drives-are-recommended-for-shield-tv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

New owner took out of box this morning and starting to set up. Is anyone free to answer a few quick questions I have on PM not to be blocking up the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭jonski

Do you get any overheating with this flash drive? It's not on the list of recommended sticks;

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4334/~/what-usb-flash-drives-are-recommended-for-shield-tv

I'm sorry but you can't post up useful links, that I should have checked for myself, a week after I have purchased a non recommended flash drive . Please delete the above and pretend that it never happened .

Yes, it used to get hot, I use a hub I had lying around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Update also gives you the option to change default launcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭bazzz

Here's the Changelog for 7.2. For anyone interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

bazzz wrote: »

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭chewed

OmegaGene wrote:
    My stbemu volume has gone out of sync, does anyone know a fix for this or do I need to contact my provider Thanks in advance

Try a different media player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

bazzz wrote: »

That looks like the US change-log as I don't think the Alexa Skill has been enabled in Europe as of yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭bazzz

That looks like the US change-log as I don't think the Alexa Skill has been enabled in Europe as of yet

Here

Hi . Anyone know why I can’t download apps from google playstore ? I just presumed the shield had access to the same apps?

Hi . Anyone know why I can’t download apps from google playstore ? I just presumed the shield had access to the same apps?

The Shield play store only has apps officially compatible with Android TV

The Shield play store only has apps officially compatible with Android TV

Have to say I’m not enjoying the Shied experience . Was expecting great things but it’s just turning out to be more complicated that the normal adroid box I have - I had hoped to use apps such as Speedtest and Hola vpn and I can’t use any of them .
    Feel like sticking it up on adverts !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Have to say I’m not enjoying the Shied experience . Was expecting great things but it’s just turning out to be more complicated that the normal adroid box I have - I had hoped to use apps such as Speedtest and Hola vpn and I can’t use any of them .

Download aptoide tv,

I have speedtest, it works fine, get it on Aptoide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

The speedtest app can be sideloaded.

One should never use Hola. Use a more reputable VPN. (ibVPN and a few more have Android TV versions)

Android TV is not Android like a phone or tablet although you can install Roms on it if that is the experience one desires

Thanks folks , the advice is much appreciated

Hold off on adverts,this box is unbeatable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

One thing to keep in mind for some of those apps - while they can be painful to navigate around you can always plug in a wired mouse, I have to use it every so often for one app when I need to update the location it’s pointed to.

Take your time with the box, it might take a bit of time but once you find 1 or 2 key apps you’ll be flying. Hell I haven’t even gone near the apps in the last post but maybe next year I will after reading that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

How long does the battery charge on the controller last for you guys?
    I haven't used it, and after about a week I get the popup saying the battery level is low. Surely it shouldn't be using that much power while sitting idle?

I sent u a p.m. daz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

OmegaGene wrote: »
    It’s on all the time listening for you to say
    Hey google

I'll just let it run out of power then - I haven't used it yet. Or is it possible to turn off the Hey Google feature on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

You can turn that off easily from settings if you’ve upgraded to 7.2
    Otherwise you might have to dig into the setting.
    As to the batteries - I used a cheap set from lidl or Aldi and they only lasted a week or two. But decent ones from Argos have lasted ages now!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement