Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,188 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

OmegaGene wrote: »
    My stbemu volume has gone out of sync, does anyone know a fix for this or do I need to contact my provider
    Thanks in advance

Do you mean the volume is at a different level to other apps or the voices are out of sync with the picture? If it's the former go into settings display and sound, advanced settings and it's the fixed volume turn it on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I sent u a p.m. daz

I hope your not advising him on setting up a vpn :):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Anyone noticed any issues with Volume dropping on this?

Only noticed it happening last few days but everytime I open stbemu and change a channel volume goes down on the box.

I've played around wyth settings on the app and shield itself nothing has fixed it.

Wondering is issue with latest update on Shield cause never happened before that!

its always been the case with stbemu and the only way around it is to disable the volume slider on the remote, cant remember the exact setting off hand

I've only noticed it this week though never happened for me before.

I have to keep turning audio back up on the shield remote nearly everytime I go in and out app or change a channel sometimes it's affecting other apps to.

been like that since day one for me on stbemu every time i changed channels

Anyway of fixing it?

i disabled the slider on the remote and it is fine now, a few others have done the same

Ill look it up and see how to do it so

I disabled the only option I see in the settings for remote which is double tap to pause.

Made no difference.

Is there another setting elsewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Anyway of fixing it?

Known issue now for ages.

They (app developers) don't appear to be in any hurry to sort it either.

Go to settings/system/volume mode and set it to fixed output and that will disable the volume control and keep the volume at max.

Don't have that on shield or stb?

Can't find volume mode anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Anyone noticed any issues with Volume dropping on this?

Only noticed it happening last few days but everytime I open stbemu and change a channel volume goes down on the box.

I've played around wyth settings on the app and shield itself nothing has fixed it.

Wondering is issue with latest update on Shield cause never happened before that!

I have this too but it's on both a Shield and a Mibox so it's app related

• Advertisement

On the shield go to settings then display and sound then at the sound section go to volume control and disable hdmi cec and that should sort it

That was already off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

jayo26 wrote: »
    I sent u a p.m. daz

Ha ha no,I've no luck ref VPN as u know

I sent u a p.m. daz

I sent u a p.m. daz

I’m sure that’s how I disabled my slide bar and it now says fixed volume
    Does it say fixed volume

Fixed volume is off when I turn it on its thr same.

Actually I turned it on and off now and seems to be staying at same volume and the audio slider on remote is disabled now to.

Fingers crossed that's fixed it!!

Thanks for replys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Fixed volume is off when I turn it on its thr same.

Actually I turned it on and off now and seems to be staying at same volume and the audio slider on remote is disabled now to.

Fingers crossed that's fixed it!!

Thanks for replys.

Let me know how you get on mate.

• Advertisement

Let me know how you get on mate.

Seems to be all good for now!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭QuadaLumpins

A question for the experts.

I have an external 6tb hdd attached to my shield full of media which I use for Plex. Is there any way to add/remove media from the hdd without having to unplug from the shield and plug into my laptop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

A question for the experts.

I have an external 6tb hdd attached to my shield full of media which I use for Plex. Is there any way to add/remove media from the hdd without having to unplug from the shield and plug into my laptop?

Once you connect a HDD drive to the Shield it creates a folder called "Nvidia Shield" this then becomes the only Read/Write folder, you can create sub folders here for TV Show's /Movies etc.the drive can be mounted as a network drive on a laptop as long as you have it turned on in the shield and you can drag and drop folders and files over and back between HDD and laptop.
    The folders that already exist theoretically cannot be modified unless you connect direct to a laptop, however I have deleted files directly from within Plex but not sure what the original location was it could have been from within the "Nvidia Shield " folder which would make sense but i think it allows the ability to the other media folders also but cannot confirm.
    The new SMB 3 Share on the 7.2 Upgrade may now also something different but don't know as of yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

So i'm onto my second shield, first I returned due to what I believed was an issue with the controller, it is very unresponsive and at times, may take 30 seconds to register a movement. I've only just started to use the second shield I got, and the issue is the same, albeit not as bad.

Has anyone had this issue and any ideas how to resolve it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

For anyone with Phillips Hue lights, there is an app for Android TV that has just been released called Hue Stream. It enables the Entertainment feature to work with the Shield, where the light colour syncs with the screen. I’m a bit undecided if it’s worthwhile or not. It’s a bit distracting, but will play with it for a bit

https://www2.meethue.com/en-us/entertainment

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bullbash.huestream

• Advertisement

n1ck wrote: »
    So i'm onto my second shield, first I returned due to what I believed was an issue with the controller, it is very unresponsive and at times, may take 30 seconds to register a movement. I've only just started to use the second shield I got, and the issue is the same, albeit not as bad.

Has anyone had this issue and any ideas how to resolve it?
    Must be your set up,TV,or broadband, shield is fab,never heard issues like yours, of course you could be vv unlucky,I'm only a normal gob****e but that's my 20 C's worth,need to chuck out all your cables,or at least try different ones

stimpson wrote: »
    For anyone with Phillips Hue lights, there is an app for Android TV that has just been released called Hue Stream. It enables the Entertainment feature to work with the Shield, where the light colour syncs with the screen. I’m a bit undecided if it’s worthwhile or not. It’s a bit distracting, but will play with it for a bit

https://www2.meethue.com/en-us/entertainment

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bullbash.huestream

This works well. I'm using it along with the hue sync add-on on Kodi which dims the room main lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭jonski

Mr.S wrote:
    Get the latest Amazon Firestick remote, much better solution.

Does it work with the shield ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Question regarding gaming. I currently have a android rooted phone connected to my tv via hdmi cable, which works brilliantly actually. Problem though is that most games don't work with mouse keyboard or generic logic3 controller. I understand through just a littel research that the reason for this is that neither mouse or gampad clicks replace touch events on the screen as many games are programmed to be played.

The question is is this the same on the Shield or does the Nvida gamepad get around this problem in some way?

AllForIt wrote: »
    Question regarding gaming. I currently have a android rooted phone connected to my tv via hdmi cable, which works brilliantly actually. Problem though is that most games don't work with mouse keyboard or generic logic3 controller. I understand through just a littel research that the reason for this is that neither mouse or gampad clicks replace touch events on the screen as many games are programmed to be played.

The question is is this the same on the Shield or does the Nvida gamepad get around this problem in some way?

Games that officially support Andriod TV are in the Google play store. You can also use GeforceNow to play PC games remotely on a Nvidia server or Gamestream to stream them from your PC if it have a Nvidia gpu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

Hi, anyone here running the latest version of the shield using the new RTÉ player?

Every other app works perfectly it's just RTÉ Player that takes me to a login screen with two options either to log in using some code or an alternative to skip login.

However, neither option does anything. Just curious if anyone has managed to get this app working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Games that officially support Andriod TV are in the Google play store. You can also use GeforceNow to play PC games remotely on a Nvidia server or Gamestream to stream them from your PC if it have a Nvidia gpu

So GeForce Now streams games from their servers while Gamestream streams games from your own PC with the game? I hadn't realised GeForce Now doesn't need you to serve up the game on your own hardware.

xckjoo wrote: »
    So GeForce Now streams games from their servers while Gamestream streams games from your own PC with the game? I hadn't realised GeForce Now doesn't need you to serve up the game on your own hardware.

Yes, GeforceNow works great. I use it all the time and have even bought some controller supported games on Steam just for it (and GTA 5 for some sitting room TV mayhem O:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Yes, GeforceNow works great. I use it all the time and have even bought some controller supported games on Steam just for it (and GTA 5 for some sitting room TV mayhem O:-)

Nice one. Something new to try out and more games I won't have time to play :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

RHJ wrote: »
    Hi, anyone here running the latest version of the shield using the new RTÉ player?

Every other app works perfectly it's just RTÉ Player that takes me to a login screen with two options either to log in using some code or an alternative to skip login.

However, neither option does anything. Just curious if anyone has managed to get this app working.

It works using the touchpad on the Shield phone app. Pretty crappy that it doesn’t work with a controller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Hi, anyone here running the latest version of the shield using the new RTplayer?

Every other app works perfectly it's just RTPlayer that takes me to a login screen with two options either to log in using some code or an alternative to skip login.

I have the new RTE player on the shield and it works very well. At first launch it gives you option to sign in or skip. First time I skipped, but second time I logged in and set up an account, which gives you the ability to save programs into favorites. Very impressed with it so far. Shows start off in low resolution but quickly then switch to HD resolution, once its buffered some cache I suspect. No ads, although I expect that to change!

Are you using the Android TV version from the play store?

I must be very stupid, but how do you get the RTÉ Player app on the Nvidia Shield?

I can’t find it in the Google Play store.

I have the new RTE player on the shield and it works very well. At first launch it gives you option to sign in or skip. First time I skipped, but second time I logged in and set up an account, which gives you the ability to save programs into favorites. Very impressed with it so far. Shows start off in low resolution but quickly then switch to HD resolution, once its buffered some cache I suspect. No ads, although I expect that to change!

Are you using the Android TV version from the play store?

Sorry, I should have been clearer, yes I'm using the version from the Google play on the shield. Every other app works perfectly.

Sorry, I should have been clearer, yes I'm using the version from the Google play on the shield. Every other app works perfectly.

Strange, I had no such issues. You're not running a VPN or DNS changer or something like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭nedd

I side loaded the RTÉ Player and while it worked, it kept kicking me out of a show i was watching, then it wouldn’t remember my position on that show so had to load from beginning each time.

Also, I have iPhone and casting from new app didn’t work at all. I will have to try it again.

nedd wrote: »
    I side loaded the RTPlayer and while it worked, it kept kicking me out of a show i was watching, then it wouldn’t remember my position on that show so had to load from beginning each time.

Also, I have iPhone and casting from new app didn’t work at all. I will have to try it again.
    why did you side load it rather than get it from the playstore?

Only apps that support Android TV are in the play store on the Shield

Strange, I had no such issues. You're not running a VPN or DNS changer or something like that?

I feel like such an idiot turns out although you can navigate the app using the shield gamepad you can't access anything in order to use the app I needed the small remote control.

I can’t see the RTE app in the Nvidia Shield google play store.

Am I doing something stupid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Only apps that support Android TV are in the play store on the Shield

Rte player is in the android TV play store now and working reasonably well. I just don't like their skip forward back implementation but everything works 90% of the time.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Rte player is in the android TV play store now and working reasonably well. I just don't like their skip forward back implementation but everything works 90% of the time.

I'd not heard that thanks

I can’t see the RTE app in the Nvidia Shield google play store.

Am I doing something stupid?

Search for it, I just installed it

Search for it, I just installed it

From the stock google App Store on the Shield? Can’t find it. What is the exact app name you are using?

From the stock google App Store on the Shield? Can’t find it. What is the exact app name you are using?

Yes, just search for RTE, I found it using voice search with the controller

When you search in the Play Store, I think it first brings up a voice search, hold one of the controllers close to you and say RTE Player.

• Advertisement

When you search in the Play Store, I think it first brings up a voice search, hold one of the controllers close to you and say RTE Player.

Yes ... tried that but it’s not there ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 27 podger79

Has anybody got the low remote battery
    warning and then after changing batteries the remote never worked again?i tried different brands of batteries and clearing the Bluetooth apps and controller apps and tried to re sync but nothing works

• Registered Users Posts: 27 podger79

warning and then after changing batteries the remote never worked again?i tried different brands of batteries and clearing the Bluetooth apps and controller apps and tried to re sync but nothing works

podger79 wrote: »
    Hope that's a one off, didn't change mine yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭Gary Owen

podger79 wrote: »

Happened me about 3 weeks ago and it hasn’t worked yet .
    I’m using the joypad .

• Advertisement
Advertisement