Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

Gary Owen wrote: »
    podger79 wrote: »
    Has anybody got the low remote battery
    warning and then after changing batteries the remote never worked again?i tried different brands of batteries and clearing the Bluetooth apps and controller apps and tried to re sync but nothing works

Happened me about 3 weeks ago and it hasn’t worked yet .
    I’m using the joypad .
    I'm using joypad all the time,get 3/4 days out of it, only use the slim one as a back up,maybe if u drain it completely,use a different wall charger?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 podger79

I'm using joypad all the time,get 3/4 days out of it, only use the slim one as a back up,maybe if u drain it completely,use a different wall charger?

I’m using the joypad myself since it happened and it’s grand but I liked the small one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭BandMember

If anyone here uses Retrox, I need some help but don't want to derail the thread, so could someone send me a PM, please? Thanks! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

BandMember wrote: »
    If anyone here uses Retrox, I need some help but don't want to derail the thread, so could someone send me a PM, please? Thanks! :)

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

warning and then after changing batteries the remote never worked again?i tried different brands of batteries and clearing the Bluetooth apps and controller apps and tried to re sync but nothing works

Low battery warning Happens me every 2 or 3 weeks. Had to buy a harmony as it was costing me a fortune on batteries

• Registered Users Posts: 27 podger79

I got a email from nvidia support asking was I happy with the tips and support they gave I said it still wasn’t working and they got back to me asking for a copy of my invoice and serial number and they will send me a new one,couldnt ask for more than that

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭wingnut32

Got the 7.2.1 update today which supposedly introduces better integration with Google home. Funnily enough when I ask Google to play something on Netflix it still tells me it can't control android TV. Is everyone else the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

wingnut32 wrote: »
    Got the 7.2.1 update today which supposedly introduces better integration with Google home. Funnily enough when I ask Google to play something on Netflix it still tells me it can't control android TV. Is everyone else the same?

In Ireland I think. Ridiculous I know.

wingnut32 wrote: »
    Working for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

Guys the kids was asking me about an games emulator for the shield. I did read back through some of the threads but as I've no experience on this I want to ask. What is the best stable emulator for the shield to play games and does it cost money etc.. I don't mind if it they do cost, I just want the best stable solution.

thanks

• Advertisement

Guys the kids was asking me about an games emulator for the shield. I did read back through some of the threads but as I've no experience on this I want to ask. What is the best stable emulator for the shield to play games and does it cost money etc.. I don't mind if it they do cost, I just want the best stable solution.

thanks

http://www.retrox.tv/
    RetroX
    Not free but there is a trial. It supports most consoles. Have a good read over this as it explains how to structure the games in folders
    http://www.retrox.tv/games/

http://www.retrox.tv/
    RetroX
    Not free but there is a trial. It supports most consoles. Have a good read over this as it explains how to structure the games in folders
    http://www.retrox.tv/games/

Thanks very much :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭BobMc

I prefer the slim tv remote, I tried to change battery and like you didnt work to add insult to injury, battery tray is jammed and cant open it any more.

and a replacement if you can find one is shocking price

For anyone who's having issues with the remote not connecting, it happened to me a long time ago, so with the joypad I went into apps and blutooth I think it was and cleared the cache, restarted the shield, went to accessories and then paired new device or something like that. Has never failed since. I feel your pain, it was doing my head in until I got it working again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

BobMc wrote: »
    I prefer the slim tv remote, I tried to change battery and like you didnt work to add insult to injury, battery tray is jammed and cant open it any more.

and a replacement if you can find one is shocking price

Think I read on here somewhere that the new firestick remote will work with a shiled.

They're on Amazon for forty sterling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭funnyname

Just today the Netflix app on the shield has stopped accessing US content however it's ok on my phone and also via the Humax app, anyone got any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭funnyname

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Working fine for me on the shield

I probably should have mentioned I changed the location of the router (fritzbox with the DNS proxy) and the happened straight after this when I probably had the broadband connection feeding directly to the shield so no proxy applied.

I now wonder does the app on the shield now know that a proxy is set up and so automatically throws me out when I try to connect to US content? I deleted all the data on the app and applied a force stop but no joy.

I even tried a factory reset on it but no joy, can I roll back the Android update to the original and see if that works?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Mr.S wrote: »
    Yes full support with the latest update.

Are there different models of these? If so, which one works? Would love to finally retire this Harmony thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭54and56

This seems to be the only place where Plex is being discussed on Boards ATM so apologies if this is too Plex centric a question (cry for help) but as I'm running PMS on my Shield I'm hoping this is the right thread to ask.

So I have PMS running fine and my NAS connected via Ethernet to the Shield which has 128GB in expanded internal storage. The Shield sees the NAS and all it's content fine (I can see all the thumbnails etc from the Plex client) and I can play NAS content over my local network by simply double clicking the video file and running it on the "Films & TV" app.

Regardless of how I try to access content via Plex (on an Android device, the Shield itself or via Chrome browser on the laptop) I am able to see and select the content (movie or TV show) but it never ever plays, all I get is an error stating:

"The file associated with this item is not accessible by the server, Please verify that the file exists and the necessary drive is accessible."

I've verified that the file exists because I can play it over the home network via File Explorer on any connected device and the necessary drive is indeed accessible otherwise I wouldn't be able to play via File Explorer.

I've been trying to resolve this by rebooting the NAS, rebooting the Shield etc but no joy.

Anyone here encounter this previously and have a fix? It's doing my head in!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Hello all,

Just got one of these after about a year if reading you all praise them.

Im not overly impressed so far but it could just be me not being familiar with the system....

However, I have an oled and the black level output from the shield is grey, no where near black. I have been switching between the build in plex app on my oled and the one on the shield and its not even funny how bad the blacks are from the Shield.

Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Hello all,

Just got one of these after about a year if reading you all praise them.

Im not overly impressed so far but it could just be me not being familiar with the system....

However, I have an oled and the black level output from the shield is grey, no where near black. I have been switching between the build in plex app on my oled and the one on the shield and its not even funny how bad the blacks are from the Shield.

Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Have you set the colour space on the shield?
    Have you set the colour space on the TV?
    Have you disabled any dynamic contrast or similar?
    Depending on the type of TV you may also have a deep black setting on your TV, enable that.
    Last but not least is to calibrate the output with some test patterns at the very least.

I'm using a shield with an LG C8 OLED and the blacks and depth of range is exceptional.

banie01 wrote: »
    Depending on the type of TV you may also have a deep black setting on your TV, enable that.
    Last but not least is to calibrate the output with some test patterns at the very least.

I'm using a shield with an LG C8 OLED and the blacks and depth of range is exceptional.

Thanks for the reply, I am 90% sure everything is set up on the TV correctly on the hdmi 2 port, I have all the usual crap turned off that manufacturers install.

Interestingly I'm playing Dunkirk in HDR and the blacks are perfect, it's just sdr content that seems to be the problem....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Thanks for the reply, I am 90% sure everything is set up on the TV correctly on the hdmi 2 port, I have all the usual crap turned off that manufacturers install.

Interestingly I'm playing Dunkirk in HDR and the blacks are perfect, it's just sdr content that seems to be the problem....

The problem then is more likely to be the encoding of the SDR content.
    Lots of space to be saved in a digital file by compressing the colour space and TBH it's usually not noticed on any displays other than OLED or really top end LCD.

The problem then is more likely to be the encoding of the SDR content.
    Lots of space to be saved in a digital file by compressing the colour space and TBH it's usually not noticed on any displays other than OLED or really top end LCD.

I understand what you are saying but it's perfect on my internal lg plex player.... I also only have bluray tips on the server, no bad quality content...

It could be me being thick, I'll play with the settings and report back

Thanks again

Maybe HDMI leads need changing

• Advertisement

Maybe HDMI leads need changing

Try a different HDMI port. I've come across faulty ports before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Hoping to pick up one of these in the sales. What's the best price I could realistically expect to pay for one? Currys in the UK have the one with controller for £150 which is the best price I can find. Amazon's prices are constantly going up and down. Missed a black Friday one for about £130 which was gutted about.

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Hoping to pick up one of these in the sales. What's the best price I could realistically expect to pay for one? Currys in the UK have the one with controller for £150 which is the best price I can find. Amazon's prices are constantly going up and down. Missed a black Friday one for about £130 which was gutted about.
    130/ 150 doesn't matter, worth it

Sound advice lads. Spent a bit on a NUC a few years ago but struggles to play a lot now and the shield could combine the smart tv and nuc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Q: Is there just one version of the Shield?
    The 500Gb version is no longer a thing?
    Also, where should I buy from? I notice there's £30 off on the nvidia site but it's not reflected on Amazon.

Looking to buy whatever is "the best" version of the Shield.

• Advertisement

Try a different HDMI port. I've come across faulty ports before.

I thought about that and the cable itself but the hdr is just fine.... I think it's me and the settings as the hdr profile is perfect

I thought about that and the cable itself but the hdr is just fine.... I think it's me and the settings as the hdr profile is perfect

OK, I have it sorted, my mistake...

I forgot that the tv doesn't apply the picture settings you set to each input unless you tell it to when setting up...

Setting are now correct and it looks great.

I'm sure this has been asked before but Plex.... The interface looks awful and it seems the app gives no options to even change the lay out of anything.

Has anyone tried Xplay for the shield and does it support atmos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Can you set up IPTV through this ? I'm getting one but I'm wondering can I retire my Mag box and use this for it aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭54and56

Can you set up IPTV through this ? I'm getting one but I'm wondering can I retire my Mag box and use this for it aswell

Yes, all you need is an app called STBemu and you'll be well sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭xlogo

Yes, all you need is an app called STBemu and you'll be well sorted.

Quick question on STBemu - if I have it installed can I easily upgrade to the paid no ad version without upsetting my IPTV settings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭DopeTech

xlogo wrote: »
    Quick question on STBemu - if I have it installed can I easily upgrade to the paid no ad version without upsetting my IPTV settings?

You'll need to backup your settings in the free app and import them into the paid one. Very simple though.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

IPTV yes,via perfect player is good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

For anyone who's having issues with the remote not connecting, it happened to me a long time ago, so with the joypad I went into apps and blutooth I think it was and cleared the cache, restarted the shield, went to accessories and then paired new device or something like that. Has never failed since. I feel your pain, it was doing my head in until I got it working again.

This seems to have helped my issue massively, thanks so much!

Where should one order the Shield from? Is it a parcel motel job?

Amazon. No need for parcel motel just sign up to prime for free shipping, cancel after

• Advertisement

Net seeing that price on Amazon

468751.png

£192.56 delivered from Scan, with stand.
    I think I'll give DPD a go so, cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I'm sure this has been asked before but Plex.... The interface looks awful and it seems the app gives no options to even change the lay out of anything.

You can change the settings from the web interface.

Amazon. No need for parcel motel just sign up to prime for free shipping, cancel after
    Get it for that price in Cork,or as best as,,, reseller

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

OmegaGene wrote: »
    2-3 weeks ? What batteries were you using
    Mine last 3-4 months

Tried Dealz and Duracell. The Dealz were Panasonic I think. Neither lasted more than a month. Super frustrating.

Lads do you reckon this will go on sale on amazon again ? I know it was on sale last week but didn't have the cash surely it'll drop again

Seems to be gone up in price everywhere today. Was going to get it from Currys yesterday but said I'd wait till today. Gone up from 150-185. I'll hold on I think. Amazon are bound to get more in.

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Seems to be gone up in price everywhere today. Was going to get it from Currys yesterday but said I'd wait till today. Gone up from 150-185. I'll hold on I think. Amazon are bound to get more in.
    If near Cork there's a guy selling them , site on DD

If near Cork there's a guy selling them , site on DD

In Dublin, but thanks for that.

• Advertisement

Limerick myself ah well , I'd rather buy it and have a warranty etc anyway

Advertisement