Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Mine works offline, streaming through the shield.

All my files are held locally in a 2TB hard drive attached to the Shield.

Try starting the Plex server without a connection. It will work offline using direct connection once started but you will not be able to get Plexpass features

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭QuadaLumpins

Did the setup of the Emby server app not give you a URL to connect direct to the Shield, it would be the IP of the Shield on port 8096
    http://<shieldIP>:8096
    From here you have a server dashboard that you can configure your library, add users and lots of other stuff

That worked ... thanks!!

By the way man ... you were replying to me at 3am last night and again all day today. Is this a vocation???

Thanks anyway :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭QuadaLumpins

And another question ... I have both PLEX and EMBY now running on my Shield. I'm using 32gb adopted storage.

Will running both cause any issues? Or is it better to log off one and just run one at a time?

That worked ... thanks!!

By the way man ... you were replying to me at 3am last night and again all day today. Is this a vocation???

Thanks anyway :)

I wish. Unfortunately I was up with a 4 year old with a high temperature

And another question ... I have both PLEX and EMBY now running on my Shield. I'm using 32gb adopted storage.

Will running both cause any issues? Or is it better to log off one and just run one at a time?

I've no idea, I've never used my shield as server. Just see how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 DIEGOCON

Is the appeal with happychick now that you don't have to have all the ROMs yourself?? but you can still play whatever games you like on the different emulators. I like it but in saying that i haven't tried retroX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

Mine works offline, streaming through the shield.

All my files are held locally in a 2TB hard drive attached to the Shield.
    Try starting the Plex server without a connection. It will work offline using direct connection once started but you will not be able to get Plexpass features

Wait, are you guys saying that the Plex MEDIA SERVER runs for you when not connected to the internet on nVidia Shield?

My PMS server will not even start if the Shield is offline. At all! If I'm online and playing a movie, pulling the Ethernet cable out will cause the PMS to die after 5-10 minutes and I'm back to square one. Discovered all this a while back when I bought the Shield on holidays where there was no internet.

I'm a PlexPass holder so maybe there's something going on there to cause this behaviour? :/

Wait, are you guys saying that the Plex MEDIA SERVER runs for you when not connected to the internet on nVidia Shield?

My PMS server will not even start if the Shield is offline. At all! If I'm online and playing a movie, pulling the Ethernet cable out will cause the PMS to die after 5-10 minutes and I'm back to square one. Discovered all this a while back when I bought the Shield on holidays where there was no internet.

I'm a PlexPass holder so maybe there's something going on there to cause this behaviour? :/

You need the client setup to use the local IP AND local login instead of Plex auth

That's the client though. No matter what settings I use for the client there aint no server to connect to! 'Coz my Plex Media Server won't run offline!

That's the client though. No matter what settings I use for the client there aint no server to connect to! 'Coz my Plex Media Server won't run offline!

So if you start the Plex server and block the internet what happens? Are you saying the Plex server shuts down?

• Advertisement

PMS won't start without internet connection. And yes, it dies after 5-10 minutes if running and I pull the Ethernet cable out.

No Internet = No Plex Media Server. It's that simple. On the Shield, that is.

PMS won't start without internet connection. And yes, it dies after 5-10 minutes if running and I pull the Ethernet cable out.

No Internet = No Plex Media Server. It's that simple. On the Shield, that is.

It won't start without a connection but for most people it stays running with local login. I'd say it's Plexpass causing this for you

Great. Not exactly a Premium feature. I really only paid for the Pass so I could set up other users (kids) and that feature isn't working properly either!

Seems I'd be better off if I'd never given Plex any money! :(

Great. Not exactly a Premium feature. I really only paid for the Pass so I could set up other users (kids) and that feature isn't working properly either!

Seems I'd be better off if I'd never given Plex any money! :(

Plex is known as not really supporting offline play, if you paid for Plexpass for that you were very mistaken. Plexpass just adds a few extra features, it's not needed. It's also per user so you world need to pay for it for each user.

You should give Emby a try it fully supports offline play

I just meant that it's ironic that I'd be better served by Plex if I hadn't bought their premium features. I wanted the Pass so I could setup multiple Home Users (all under my account) for the kids. I can restrict access to PG and under and they can watch stuff on tablets (including offline sync features).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Mines the exact same.

Had the dead or critically low battery warning for ages, that's gone now. But the remote is virtually unusable now

Meet your brother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Not sure if anyone has paired a PS3 controller with the shield.

Linked it up & was in the accessories but had to rename it and it could find it and was working(for scrolling etc.) but then I could not use it for RetroX gaming.

Hooked it up again and then unplugged it and it asked for a PIN. Tried 0000 and 1111 and no joy.

Anyone paired a Ps3 controller with shield or is this an known issue with the PS3 controller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

Not sure if anyone has paired a PS3 controller with the shield.

Linked it up & was in the accessories but had to rename it and it could find it and was working(for scrolling etc.) but then I could not use it for RetroX gaming.

Hooked it up again and then unplugged it and it asked for a PIN. Tried 0000 and 1111 and no joy.

Anyone paired a Ps3 controller with shield or is this an known issue with the PS3 controller.

Yeah , done it at the weekend . Worked fine except for no mouse pointer . Don't use it for gaming so can't comment on that end of it .

Lennyzip wrote: »
    Yeah , done it at the weekend . Worked fine except for no mouse pointer . Don't use it for gaming so can't comment on that end of it .

Did you put in a Pin number and if so what did you put in?

OmegaGene wrote: »
    For ps3 controller
    Connect the controller to the NVIDIA Shield TV via USB cable
    Once the controller is connected, open the Shield TV’s Settings application
    Scroll down, you should find the PlayStation 3 controller listed in the Bluetooth section (look for the symbol)
    With the connection in place, you can now disconnect the controller and use it via Bluetooth

Was doing that but kept asking for the pin?

Loaded up a game via retroX but kept on getting below

Press Start + Select inside the game for Opinions
    Start +l2:load start +r2: save state

Press any button to continue

Press the controller and nothing happens goes back to the play, favourite, settings menu??

Was late last night trying this may try later.

Also is there much difference between the 2015 controller and the 2017 controller seen a few of the older model for sale online

• Advertisement

Did you put in a Pin number and if so what did you put in?

No , didn't ask for a pin number . Basically just plug and play and it appeared in the settings .

I RMA'd a dead controller last year and am in the process of RMA'ing the remote now too. I did this using LIVE CHAT direct with nVidia even though I bought on Amazon. I didn't want to return the whole package and RMA'ing with nVidia meant I just got the controller replaced. The LIVE CHAT link is here:

https://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/support-uk.html

They'll ask for a picture of the Shield box that has all the serial numbers on the side. MAybe you can find the serial number from within the Shield itself somehow if you don't have the box. Proof of purchase also required. I just sent them the Amazon invoice.

Good luck!

Have some spare time so might follow through with this . Just looking at the link you posted . It's for nvidia in the UK but the Live Chat lists West Coast America times . Are we talking to the UK or America here ?

Have some spare time so might follow through with this . Just looking at the link you posted . It's for nvidia in the UK but the Live Chat lists West Coast America times . Are we talking to the UK or America here ?

Response By Email (Sonal)
    Hi, my name is Vinoy. How may I help you?
    Hi, my name is Manojit. How may I help you?
    Hi, my name is Yeshwanth. How may I help you?

Guess again.

Be sure to get a Incident number so you can quickly pick up if there are following calls. I did this over a few days to try out the suggested solutions properly before getting back to them.

Response By Email (Sonal)
    Hi, my name is Vinoy. How may I help you?
    Hi, my name is Manojit. How may I help you?
    Hi, my name is Yeshwanth. How may I help you?

Guess again.

Be sure to get a Incident number so you can quickly pick up if there are following calls. I did this over a few days to try out the suggested solutions properly before getting back to them.

Lovely...
    I just checked I bought it 2017. Is it still under warranty or is this a futile exercise ?

Two year warranty - thank you EU. So what date is on your proof of purchase?

Two year warranty - thank you EU. So what date is on your proof of purchase?

24th August 2017

Are you asking me if August 2017 was over two years ago or not?

:pac:

Are you asking me if August 2017 was over two years ago or not?

:pac:

No 😂, I thought you asked me what date was the proof of purchase 😂

OK so, it's under warranty then. Go for it.

• Advertisement

OK so, it's under warranty then. Go for it.

Cheers, currently in a que here which my placing seems to be jumping up & down at for no apparent reason.

Cheers, currently in a que here which my placing seems to be jumping up & down at for no apparent reason.

So , just off with them . Told me to gently pull up the left toggle until I could hear a clicking noise . It seems it was pushed down . I'd not noticed that before . I'll see how it get a on now , time will tell.

Did you ever get through on the queue? I had to give up on it the other evening.

Load of balls.

Er, it's right there.

Did you ever get through on the queue? I had to give up on it the other evening.

Load of balls.

After about 15 - 20 minutes. Done it around 3pm our time . Just let the que run . I'd say just do it on your phone and do something else while ya wait . Only thing that bothered me was they flat out said it's not a common problem for the left toggle to ghost , their description. I literally looked through 100s of posts on their forum about it. Now , that might be uncommon to them , but to me that's a problem that needs to be fixed .

Might have found a solution. Messed around with Kodi and found a way , which hadn't worked for me before , maybe due to inexperience with it , to add an external source and add a video source . Found a spare external drive and am going to copy everything over . Then erase the drive which is mounted, unmount it and just use the 16GB on the shield as storage . I don't use it for gaming so it should be ample for a few apps I use . Then I'll just use the erased drive as extra external storage and bring it up to a 1 TB.
    Will see how it goes .it was running fast without looking to the external mounted drive so will see if it continues .

Update on this . Ordered 4TB HD , arrived on Tuesday . Unmounted old HD and migrated all apps back to internal 16GB hd . Copied over all media files to new HD. The change in performance is remarkable. Everything opens up instantly . Kodi 18 running very smoothly . Havnt had a single app crash since Tuesday , touch wood . I'm going to put this down to maybe the old external HD failing or something . I had originally blamed the new update on the shield . Now , just have to see how the controller fares but it might be back to just like when I unboxed it .

• Advertisement

After about 15 - 20 minutes. Done it around 3pm our time . Just let the que run . I'd say just do it on your phone and do something else while ya wait . Only thing that bothered me was they flat out said it's not a common problem for the left toggle to ghost , their description. I literally looked through 100s of posts on their forum . Now , that might be uncommon to them , but to me that's a problem that needs to be fixed .

Got through to them.

Clear cache, clear data, remove batteries yadda yadda.... Like above acted dumb when I told him I know my problems weren't unique.

Then I pressed back on the browser tab on my phone and got kicked out of the chat.

:mad:

Got through to them.

Clear cache, clear data, remove batteries yadda yadda.... Like above acted dumb when I told him I know my problems weren't unique.

Then I pressed back on the browser tab on my phone and got kicked out of the chat.

:mad:

They should send you a reference number in an email in responce to your enquiry. Give it a few days , then start another chat , use the reference number and tell them there's been no change . See what they say then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Just got my shield. Does anyone know how to get the all4 fire TV app onto a shield?

megaten wrote: »
    Just got my shield. Does anyone know how to get the all4 fire TV app onto a shield?

Sideload with an apk ?

Netflix on my shield is detecting my smart dns which is very strange, my LG tv is playing the American library fine
    I’ve changed nothing on the shield and it’s been running fine for over a year

Only got a vpn recently and Netflix still won't allow access to it for us content .

• Advertisement

Not many VPN’s work with Netflix and if they do it’s normally a matter of time before they are blocked
    Makes no sense to me that I can’t access it on the shield but I can on my tv

How'd you get it to work on tv so ?
    I remember a couple of years ago I changed the dns settings on the tv and that sorted it .

It’s been set up on my router for over a year and working fine on my shield and all of a sudden they are detecting it but only on the shield

If it's on your router , would that not slow down your speeds ?
    I thought maybe you had installed the vpn app on your tv .

smart dns has barely any effect on speed

That's good to know. Its a shame the vpn isn't unblocking us Netflix. The selection is far better .

Express vpn works and nord vpn

I looked at them when I was choosing but Tunnel Bear had a great offer at the time . Think it cost €43 for the year . Was on sale or something. I might shop around when the sub is up. No real complaints with Tunnel Bear though.

What's the best sound settings for the shield. Have it hooked up to amplifier and surround sound and played movie on vlc and sound seems low

Might try mx player but what's the best optimised settings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Evening all from Germany

My first post here in the thread.....new Nvidia arrived this afternoon and I have hit a wall. So far I have run through the setup, connect to my google account and installed a few German apps for the wife and NordVPN for myself. Opened and logged into the NordVpn app and coneected to an Irish server. Then went into the google app store and searched for RTE Player.....nothing being found. Appstore seems still be searching German content.

Anyone any ideas how I could get around this matter or any idea of what I am doing wrong???

My plan is.....Wife gets her German stuff when vpn is off on our local IP or via NordVPNs German servers. I wanted to then connect to NordVPNs Irish and English servers to pick up RTE Player, BBC IPlayer, BT Sports etc..

Where am I going wrong or have I sunk a lot of cash in dream thinking.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Evening all from Germany

My first post here in the thread.....new Nvidia arrived this afternoon and I have hit a wall. So far I have run through the setup, connect to my google account and installed a few German apps for the wife and NordVPN for myself. Opened and logged into the NordVpn app and coneected to an Irish server. Then went into the google app store and searched for RTE Player.....nothing being found. Appstore seems still be searching German content.

Anyone any ideas how I could get around this matter or any idea of what I am doing wrong???

My plan is.....Wife gets her German stuff when vpn is off on our local IP or via NordVPNs German servers. I wanted to then connect to NordVPNs Irish and English servers to pick up RTE Player, BBC IPlayer, BT Sports etc..

Where am I going wrong or have I sunk a lot of cash in dream thinking.....
    IPTV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

IPTV?

Was hoping to get live tv through the RTE App. Just want to be able to watch LOI here in Germany the odd time they are on. Additionally wanted a bit of BBC etc. for sport.

What's the best sound settings for the shield. Have it hooked up to amplifier and surround sound and played movie on vlc and sound seems low

Might try mx player but what's the best optimised settings

Did you check the volume on the remote , you can sometimes turn it down without noticing it as it's very sensitive to touch .

Anyone use a ps4 or xbox controller and have the mouse pointer work on it ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement