Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Have a go of thses settings

Thanks I'll try after work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

This is prob one for THHB , my tv doesn't turn off when system goes to sleep, but it does turn on when system awakes.

I've looked at my settings (display and sound ) and everything seems in order there.

Perhaps like the new Bluetooth remote, I need to turn off the TV at the wall and try again, because it definitely used to work, and I've changed nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Calling high horse !!!
    Man down in aisle 3 and needs help

^_^
    My time on here is not what it used be. After 6 months laid off due to surgery I'm now back at work...

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

This is prob one for THHB , my tv doesn't turn off when system goes to sleep, but it does turn on when system awakes.

I've looked at my settings (display and sound ) and everything seems in order there.

Perhaps like the new Bluetooth remote, I need to turn off the TV at the wall and try again, because it definitely used to work, and I've changed nothing.

I'm having the same issue… have my shield's HDMI go through the soundbar and from the soundbar (ARC out) to the TV (ARC in). Was working well enough:
    • Turn on shield: soundbar would turn-on on correct source; TV would turn-on on correct source
    • Turn off TV: soundbar and shield would go off as well.

Now eveything is messed up. Turn on shield doesn’t do anything to the soundbar so the TV is no triggered. Need to turn-on all 3 individually. I've tried unplugging the power cord on shield and soundbar to see it helps but it didn’t help. Will try unplugging all 3 including tv tonight.
    I guess the logitech harmony is a solution but my wife hated it and we never quite got rid of all the other remotes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

Anyone else using the Rii mini keyboard with their Shield? I got this one last year and find it great! Though, it's a bit erratic when the battery starts to run down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭xckjoo

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    I'm having the same issue… have my shield's HDMI go through the soundbar and from the soundbar (ARC out) to the TV (ARC in). Was working well enough:
    • Turn on shield: soundbar would turn-on on correct source; TV would turn-on on correct source
    • Turn off TV: soundbar and shield would go off as well.

Now eveything is messed up. Turn on shield doesn’t do anything to the soundbar so the TV is no triggered. Need to turn-on all 3 individually. I've tried unplugging the power cord on shield and soundbar to see it helps but it didn’t help. Will try unplugging all 3 including tv tonight.
    I guess the logitech harmony is a solution but my wife hated it and we never quite got rid of all the other remotes

Sorry if this is stupidly obvious but have you tried messing around with the HDMI settings? I had an issue where the Shield kept turning my TV back on and had to mess around with the HDMI pass-through (can't remember the technical term off the top of my head (CEC?)) settings. Got a working compromise where the Shield can't turn on the TV but does turn it off when power-saving timeout kicks in.

I use the TV remote to control everything. Shield is slave device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

I cant check until i get home but isn't there both an On and OFF CEC command setting

Lads anyone that got the RMA to return something to Nvidia, just curious about this prepaid FedEx sheet I have.

They're fairly short on instructions tbh, am I to drop this off at a FedEx depot someplace? Arrange for them to come to me and pick it up?

Jeez they don't make it easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Lads anyone that got the RMA to return something to Nvidia, just curious about this prepaid FedEx sheet I have.

They're fairly short on instructions tbh, am I to drop this off at a FedEx depot someplace? Arrange for them to come to me and pick it up?

Yeah, I was the same.

Phone Fedex customer support and give them the tracking number - they'll collect the next day.

Print out all the attached docs, put the customs declaration in a plastic pocket on the outside of the parcel & obviously affix the shipping label (I also wrote the RMA # on the label, as the one printed was slightly different (fewer digits) to the one in the email)..

There's a few copies of the address label - I threw one the box and one in the plastic pocket, but the lad collecting it (while I wasn't home) was apparently hesitant to take it as I hadn't printed a copy for him, so keep one copy out for the driver and you should have no hassles..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Not really. Arrange a pickup on the FedEx website or drop off the box at a depot.
    Box the item. Put the commercial invoice and one spare shipping label inside the box in a large envelope for instance and attach the shipping label on the outside of the box. (the one that doesn't say Fedex ABS copy).
    Mark the box and the envelope with the RMA number. Give the courier a copy of the shipping label that says Fedex ABS copy.
    Wasn't charged for it, didn't have a tracking number until it was returned to me and got my replacement in around 10 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Picking up a new Denon receiver soon and wondering what the best sound settings are for nvidia shield. Putting HDMI from Virgin box & Nvidia to receiver and then hdmi from receiver to TV

I use Mx Player pro and VLC to play films on the Shield just wondering if any specific settings that I should have on both shield and MX and VLC. Would it depend on the file source?

Picking up a new Denon receiver soon and wondering what the best sound settings are for nvidia shield. Putting HDMI from Virgin box & Nvidia to receiver and then hdmi from receiver to TV

I use Mx Player pro and VLC to play films on the Shield just wondering if any specific settings that I should have on both shield and MX and VLC. Would it depend on the file source?

I use the Denon AVR 2300 and have Shield,Sky,Sat,DVD Player all connected direct to Denon and playback movies on both Plex and Kodi and have both set to pass original Audio through to the Denon and have Denon sound settings to Auto and it changes then according to the audio input it receives
    There's also an Audio setting within shield

I use the Denon AVR 2300 and have Shield,Sky,Sat,DVD Player all connected direct to Denon and playback movies on both Plex and Kodi and have both set to pass original Audio through to the Denon and have Denon sound settings to Auto and it changes then according to the audio input it receives
    There's also an Audio setting within shield

Cheers getting the AVR-X2500H getting a demo on it in the shop and will see. I can see when I go to play a file Plex does come up as an option and used it sometimes never used Kodi as does not come up as option?

Any specific sound settings on Shield to set? Some files I get to play have 5.1 ch etc but don't think I am getting full benefit of them on current set up

Cheers getting the AVR-X2500H getting a demo on it in the shop and will see. I can see when I go to play a file Plex does come up as an option and used it sometimes never used Kodi as does not come up as option?

Any specific sound settings on Shield to set? Some files I get to play have 5.1 ch etc but don't think I am getting full benefit of them on current set up

I still have to answer someone from yesterday on the CEC settings in the shield so when I look at this later I will check the Shield sound settings as there is options in the shield that need to be set.

All sound should be passed through to the AVR as it plays everything without issue,regardless of Media player(Kodi,Plex,MX,VLC) they should all be set to pass sound straight through to the VCR

I will post up the Shield sound settings later for you

For the Shield settings-

Go to -Settings-Display & Sound-Advanced settings

Check the following
    "USB audio mode" needs to be "surround sound 5.1"
    "surround sound" needs to be "always"
    "stereo upmix" the slider should be to the left(off)

There is also an option in that sub-menu to test and adjust the sound synchronization to the AVR its feeding its audio to.

And as mentioned earlier make sure all video playback apps on the shield (Plex,Kodi,MX,VLC etc.) are set to pass all audio through to the AVR and have the AVR set to auto and it will change from sound mode to sound mode automatically.
    Lastly,have the TV connected to the AVR via HDMI using the ARC connection on the TV and it will pass its own sound if using an app on TV back to the AVR and again the AVR will pick up the sound and auto change the mode.

xckjoo wrote: »
    Sorry if this is stupidly obvious but have you tried messing around with the HDMI settings? I had an issue where the Shield kept turning my TV back on and had to mess around with the HDMI pass-through (can't remember the technical term off the top of my head (CEC?)) settings. Got a working compromise where the Shield can't turn on the TV but does turn it off when power-saving timeout kicks in.

I use the TV remote to control everything. Shield is slave device.

Check the power control settings on the shield under power control as there is now 3 CEC options in that menu.

For anyone with a 4K HDR TV in tandem with the shield which I imagine is a few at this stage and if you dont follow the Shield forum on the Nvidia site(Apologies if mentioned already also)

There is now a setting in developer options for auto-switching colour mode,scroll down to HDMI and under that there is a "Colorimety" select this to the right(On)Its off by default.

Lots of people have had issues with playback via the shield be it Kodi or Plex etc. with HDR content that was washed out in colour,this setting has rectified this for many people in case anyone has similar issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭keano25

RTE player on shield.

Doesn't work for me.. does everything except play the show.. anyone else in the same boat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭shooter69

keano25 wrote: »
    RTE player on shield.

Doesn't work for me.. does everything except play the show.. anyone else in the same boat?

Yep me too . Can’t believe they actually re-launched a new version of the app that actually manages to be worse than the original , with the added insult that you can no longer view live tv on it ...

• Advertisement

Right guys, I've just set my shield to factory restore itself while I go to bed, as even with my new remote it's constantly losing connection.

WiFi connection (as in using my phone as a remote via the app) is flawless, it's just Bluetooth remote (s) that are randomly disconnecting.

It's the only thing left for me to try now, as none of the problems existed prior to the last software update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

Right guys, I've just set my shield to factory restore itself while I go to bed, as even with my new remote it's constantly losing connection.

WiFi connection (as in using my phone as a remote via the app) is flawless, it's just Bluetooth remote (s) that are randomly disconnecting.

It's the only thing left for me to try now, as none of the problems existed prior to the last software update.

Have you tried running one of the Bluetooth repair apps?

VonZan wrote: »
    Have you tried running one of the Bluetooth repair apps?

No, never knew such a thing existed. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭keano25

shooter69 wrote: »
    Yep me too . Can’t believe they actually re-launched a new version of the app that actually manages to be worse than the original , with the added insult that you can no longer view live tv on it ...

I'm taking some happiness in its just not me.

On another note if you launch the app on phone it will cast no problem to shield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

What's the benefit of using audio pass through?
    Not available with my receiver but curious as to what its all about using Kodi on the shield .

Audio pass through is used for an AVR and a surround sound system ,I have posted on the previous page here about it.

• Advertisement

For the Shield settings-

Go to -Settings-Display & Sound-Advanced settings

Check the following
    "USB audio mode" needs to be "surround sound 5.1"
    "surround sound" needs to be "always"
    "stereo upmix" the slider should be to the left(off)

There is also an option in that sub-menu to test and adjust the sound synchronization to the AVR its feeding its audio to.

And as mentioned earlier make sure all video playback apps on the shield (Plex,Kodi,MX,VLC etc.) are set to pass all audio through to the AVR and have the AVR set to auto and it will change from sound mode to sound mode automatically.
    Lastly,have the TV connected to the AVR via HDMI using the ARC connection on the TV and it will pass its own sound if using an app on TV back to the AVR and again the AVR will pick up the sound and auto change the mode.

cheers have a look at this over the weekend. Just need to check the apps I use and where to find the audio settings

Also need to investigate how to stop sound going through the receiver for just watching TV. Only want it to go through when shield is on but that's going to be part of the trial and error when I get the receiver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

Folks, wondering can anyone give me a yes or no on this one. I’d like to be able to connect x2 WD Elements 4TB portable hard drives to a Shield. Will the shield be able to a) power both drives by usb, and b) recognise both drives independently? Appreciate any help/info...

Inviere wrote: »
    Folks, wondering can anyone give me a yes or no on this one. I’d like to be able to connect x2 WD Elements 4TB portable hard drives to a Shield. Will the shield be able to a) power both drives by usb, and b) recognise both drives independently? Appreciate any help/info...

Buy a powered usb hub. Yes they'll both get mounted independently

Buy a powered usb hub. Yes they'll both get mounted independently

I take it the powered hub is needed then yeah? Cheers man, any recommendations for one?

• Advertisement

Had awful trouble with a mounted hd . From reading forums they suggest against it . If there's any issues with the drive it pulls the whole shield down , did for me anyway .

Great, thanks a lot.
    Lennyzip wrote: »
    Had awful trouble with a mounted hd . From reading forums they suggest against it . If there's any issues with the drive it pulls the whole shield down , did for me anyway .

Ah seriously? How are you meant to have a media library with the shield then?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kman

Have you tried forgetting the accessory (remote controller) and repairing ? worked for me. Settings...Shield accessories

Great, thanks a lot.

I had a 500 gb drive mounted. Worked like a dream but then all of sudden , the whole shield started acting up . Apps taking an age to load , kodi taking an age to do anything , literally everything stopped responding .Couldn't figure it out til I unplugged the mounted drive . I bought a 4tb external drive and just used it as an external drive . For me anyway , I use kodi to view downloads so I just pointed the sources for tv , movies , etc to the hd . Been running perfectly since .

If you have a PC that's always on its very easy to mount network shares with the Shield

I had a 500 gb drive mounted. Worked like a dream but then all of sudden , the whole shield started acting up . Apps taking an age to load , kodi taking an age to do anything , literally everything stopped responding .Couldn't figure it out til I unplugged the mounted drive . I bought a 4tb external drive and just used it as an external drive . For me anyway , I use kodi to view downloads so I just pointed the sources for tv , movies , etc to the hd . Been running perfectly since .

Ah, no, I don’t need them mounted, I just need to use them as external storage for media. I presume that’s ok to do?

Ah, no, I don’t need them mounted, I just need to use them as external storage for media. I presume that’s ok to do?

Thats perfectly fine :-)

Thats perfectly fine :-)

Sweet. From earlier posts though it seems I’ll need a usb hub, because the Shield itself won’t be able to power two portable externals? Will that hub itself need to be powered yeah (the one linked to doesn’t seem to be a powered hub)?

Sweet. From earlier posts though it seems I’ll need a usb hub, because the Shield itself won’t be able to power two portable externals? Will that hub itself need to be powered yeah (the one linked to doesn’t seem to be a powered hub)?

Have a goo at this

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=336724

Talks about using two external drives . Have you got the drives yet ? Or are you waiting on them . Suppose you'll find out one or the other. But it does mention here I think about the controller going up to 256 . So you'd imagine it could handle 2 drives .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

UsedToWait wrote: »
    I got my RMA straight after the webchat - remote arrived with them today per tracking - will update when I get replacement..

Replacement remote arrived today and paired straight away.

8 day turnaround.

Strange there seems to have been a few that died at the same time on here - I was thinking it was probably more of a software issue..

• Advertisement

kman wrote: »
    Have you tried forgetting the accessory (remote controller) and repairing ? worked for me. Settings...Shield accessories

Yeah, tried that umpteen times with the original remote (that worked flawlessly for near two years before a battery change) before sending back to Nvidia.

The new (temporary) remote was 8dollars from banggood. Prob shouldn't be surprised that it's randomly disconnecting. :pac:

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Replacement remote arrived today and paired straight away.

8 day turnaround.

Strange there seems to have been a few that died at the same time on here - I was thinking it was probably more of a software issue..

It is strange alright.

Mine was perfect until I started to get a battery low warning. Soon as I changed the batteries the trouble started.

Changed settings for audio as recommended and have old yamaha receiver now getting error

This app is set for surround sound. Use your TV remote to adjust volume

Googling as I type but any ideas what's this as no sound coming via speakers just via TV me thinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Great, thanks a lot.

Had the same months ago,in mounted it ,grand again,I can live without the H Drive

Have a goo at this

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=336724

Talks about using two external drives . Have you got the drives yet ? Or are you waiting on them . Suppose you'll find out one or the other. But it does mention here I think about the controller going up to 256 . So you'd imagine it could handle 2 drives .

His hdd’s are desktop drives (they have their own power supply). The ones I need are small 2.5” portable drives that are powered through their usb cable. Currently using one of the drives with a raspberry pi 2 and that powers the drive perfectly, I was hoping the Shield would be able to do the same with two of the same drives

His hdd’s are desktop drives (they have their own power supply). The ones I need are small 2.5” portable drives that are powered through their usb cable. Currently using one of the drives with a raspberry pi 2 and that powers the drive perfectly, I was hoping the Shield would be able to do the same with two of the same drives

I have a powered USB3 hub connected to No.2 port on the Shield with 3 HDDs(2TB/3TB/5TB) connected to the hub and all have Movies/TV shows etc mapped in the Plex and Kodi libraries and also mapped as Network Drives on my laptop so i can drag and drop files around as I need.
    I then have a USB 3.1 USB(128GB) flash drive connected to Port 1 and formatted as internal storage on the shield.

All works fine with no issues.

Changed settings for audio as recommended and have old yamaha receiver now getting error

This app is set for surround sound. Use your TV remote to adjust volume

Googling as I type but any ideas what's this as no sound coming via speakers just via TV me thinks

Is the error for everything or specific sound modes ?
    When you say old-Do you know what sound modes it can process

I have a powered USB3 hub connected to No.2 port on the Shield with 3 HDDs(2TB/3TB/5TB) connected to the hub and all have Movies/TV shows etc mapped in the Plex and Kodi libraries and also mapped as Network Drives on my laptop so i can drag and drop files around as I need.
    I then have a USB 3.1 USB(128GB) flash drive connected to Port 1 and formatted as internal storage on the shield.

All works fine with no issues.

Cheers, are your hdd’s powered or portables?

Cheers, are your hdd’s powered or portables?

3 portables,mix of WD's and Seagate

• Advertisement

3 portables,mix of WD's and Seagate

Perfect, appreciate that. Any info or links for the hub you use?

Advertisement