Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Is network storage just a complete no go on the Shield? I don't think I've ever had it working before. I'm trying to see the storage in windows at the moment but it never works, even though it's turned on it settings. It just never shows up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Is network storage just a complete no go on the Shield? I don't think I've ever had it working before. I'm trying to see the storage in windows at the moment but it never works, even though it's turned on it settings. It just never shows up.

Working perfect for me, I have a network share mounted on the shield. i can also browse network shares on the shield using Xplore file manager. In fact it's a feature added by Nvidia, the Mibox doesn't have the ability to mount network shares. I can also browse the Shield storage from my phone and linux laptop. Your problem is you're using Windows 10 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Working perfect for me, I have a network share mounted on the shield. i can also browse network shares on the shield using Xplore file manager. In fact it's a feature added by Nvidia, the Mibox doesn't have the ability to mount network shares. I can also browse the Shield storage from my phone and linux laptop. Your problem is you're using Windows 10 :D

Haha I had a feeling it was some kind of disquiet between Windows and the shield. I'm almost sure I had it working at some stage. Maybe I'll try and do it through solid explorer or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Is the error for everything or specific sound modes ?
    When you say old-Do you know what sound modes it can process

Receiver is
    YAMAHA RXV359

https://www.hifix.co.uk/yamaha-rxv359-av-receiver-titanium

Need to try different modes. Picking up denon receiver soon with hdmi slots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Receiver is
    YAMAHA RXV359

I am no expert but maybe one of these babies will help you.....hope the direction input/output are correct.....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07255TVMC/ref=twister_B075RW323R?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I am no expert but maybe one of these babies will help you.....hope the direction input/output are correct.....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07255TVMC/ref=twister_B075RW323R?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Have something similar

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JK2NCHS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_7RPCCbKHHBRV4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

How is that connected to your AVR?? HDMI?? How many HDMI input/outpout connections does your AVR have???

My logical method would have been.....Shield to the adapter I recommended per HDMI and then to the AVR per AV connection......however as I said I am not an expert.

Receiver is
    YAMAHA RXV359

Might just be best to wait so and do a fresh set up with the new Denon ,if you're getting it soon
    The Denon is a great piece of kit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Haha I had a feeling it was some kind of disquiet between Windows and the shield. I'm almost sure I had it working at some stage. Maybe I'll try and do it through solid explorer or something

Google enabling smb1.0 on Windows 10, its the only smb version the Shield currently supports.

Smb1.0 is quiet slow so if you can get a nfs server running instead and connect to that it'll be far superior.

• Advertisement

Might just be best to wait so and do a fresh set up with the new Denon ,if you're getting it soon
    The Denon is a great piece of kit

Turns out to be settings on receiver. Pressed a few buttons got it working. Got rid of the switcher and when I get denon I will start from scratch.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Anyone else who got the alternative remote via banggood notice that they have to keep reconnecting theirs, or am I just either unlucky, or my problems run deeper than merely having remote controls being the issue?

This is a great resource of info for everything Nvidia Shield related
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1094810/shield-tv/most-common-shield-issues-amp-home-made-faq/1/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭THEFRIDGE

Just want to say we have a good telegram group for shield.
    https://t.me/joinchat/AirR0VAIlQQRmJPIXC8eGw

Not promoting just quicker

There is a new updated version of this now called "Hitchhikers guide to the Shield" since yesterday.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1100425/shield-tv/hitchhikers-guide-to-the-shield-galaxy-everything-you-need-to-know-/

Guys, we're having a party and we want to slideshow a Google photos album I've created but there doesn't seem to be a Google photos album for the Shield. There seems to be a few ways to do this, has anyone done this

Guys, we're having a party and we want to slideshow a Google photos album I've created but there doesn't seem to be a Google photos album for the Shield. There seems to be a few ways to do this, has anyone done this

Scratch that, I added them to Emby was an easy option

Can I come too?

Can I come too?

Yep, bring some goodies ʘ‿ʘ

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

I think you can just cast from the Google Photos app on your phone to the Shield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

nedd wrote: »
    I think you can just cast from the Google Photos app on your phone to the Shield

I do this, just use it as a cast device and use my phone to send.

Yes I know this but I don't want to cast

The reason I don't want to cast is that we are casting different music in 2 different rooms to Chromecast audios which ties up 2 devices. I do not want to tie up 2 more devices just to cast photos to a shield and a Mibox. Emby is already available so just works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

It is baffling why the option to choose a Google Photos album is in the app, but is not available on Android TV.

It used to work on my 1st Gen Chromecast before i sold it.

There seemingly is a 3rd pary app available that that can be used as a workaround: (Photo Gallery and Screensaver - a few euro paid app)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.furnaghan.android.photoscreensaver&hl=en

Or by sideloading the Google Photos app (a bit messy i reckon)

Found this info here: hope it helps

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1064497/shield-tv/shield-ambient-mode-backdrop-amp-google-photos-/2/

Emby is working well but it stops once it gets to the end, there doesn't seem to be an option to repeat.

Guys after I did the factory reset on my shield I have lost iPlayer, itv player etc.

They don't show up under the play store either, so I'm guessing they were pre-installed on mine (bought it from Amazon UK)

Anyone any ideas?

I'm guessing side load is the only option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Guys after I did the factory reset on my shield I have lost iPlayer, itv player etc.

They don't show up under the play store either, so I'm guessing they were pre-installed on mine (bought it from Amazon UK)

Anyone any ideas?

I'm guessing side load is the only option?

Check your location settings, you might just need to set them to uk to have the apps appear.(I think that is how I did it)

Check your location settings, you might just need to set them to uk to have the apps appear.(I think that is how I did it)

Sorted. Cheers for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Lads, any way to get All4 in Ireland on the Shield? Do I need a VPN?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Lads, any way to get All4 in Ireland on the Shield? Do I need a VPN?

VPN or smart DNS needed and as there's no native android TV app it'll need to be sideloaded too.

My remote control was received by the warranty crowd a week ago yesterday, and I heard diddly squat since.

Got on to live chat again, who told me they received the unit and a new one would be sent out, and I'd get an email keeping me posted as to when etc.

Still no email, or any other correspondence since. ..

What have been the experience of others here surrounding this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Sent a broken controller. It took 2 weeks from when I sent it to be told a replacement was being sent back. The communication is/was non existent from when I sent it to being told it was coming back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

RMA'd the remote a month ago. Arrived into Amsterdam on Friday morning, replacement shipped Monday morning, received Tuesday. Whole thing turned around in a week.

banie01 wrote: »
    VPN or smart DNS needed and as there's no native android TV app it'll need to be sideloaded too.

You dont need a VPN or Smart DNS for All4. It works fine in Ireland. You will need to sideload the app.

I have it installed on my shield, use the right stick on the controller as a mouse pointer and it works fine. Can’t watch live TV but all the catchup works.

• Advertisement

ERG89 wrote: »
    Sent a broken controller. It took 2 weeks from when I sent it to be told a replacement was being sent back. The communication is/was non existent from when I sent it to being told it was coming back.

Aaaaand just like that, got text then email about it.

Due back to me on Thurs.

Aaaaand just like that, got text then email about it.

Due back to me on Thurs.

Delivered today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

You dont need a VPN or Smart DNS for All4. It works fine in Ireland. You will need to sideload the app.

I have it installed on my shield, use the right stick on the controller as a mouse pointer and it works fine. Can’t watch live TV but all the catchup works.

What did you use to sideload it? I tried Aptoide, but when I launch it, it displays in portrait mode on the TV!

chewed wrote: »
    What did you use to sideload it? I tried Aptoide, but when I launch it, it displays in portrait mode on the TV!

I installed another app to make it landscape, the rotations screen orientation app or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

I installed another app to make it landscape, the rotations screen orientation app or something like that.

OK thanks. I think I had this installed before (i had to wipe my Shield!)

It's Set Orientation

• Advertisement

chewed wrote: »
    OK thanks. I think I had this installed before (i had to wipe my Shield!)

It's Set Orientation

That’s the one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Anybody having Netflix issues? I get a second or two of video and then buffering that never ends. If I back out and try to reload, it crawls slowly up the percentages until it stalls around 40%.

xckjoo wrote: »
    Anybody having Netflix issues? I get a second or two of video and then buffering that never ends. If I back out and try to reload, it crawls slowly up the percentages until it stalls around 40%.
    Just checked,all good

Just checked,all good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Any clues for how to got 5.1 to my Sonos? Even 5.1 youtube videos are coming through as stereo.

Settings> Apps> YouTube> Force stop

Reopen should sort it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭QuadaLumpins

I’m having problems with RTÉ player app. None of my playlists/favourites are there ... which is a pain as I spent 30 minutes saving everything last week.

It also seems to be very convoluted to sign in.

Anyone any ideas where my playlists are?

I’m having problems with RTÉ player app. None of my playlists/favourites are there ... which is a pain as I spent 30 minutes saving everything last week.

It also seems to be very convoluted to sign in.

Anyone any ideas where my playlists are?
    TBH the player is ****e anyway- wouldn't really bother with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

It really is. Anytime i tried to use it, it'd play as far as a commercial break, then start back over from the start again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Just a quick update to say the problem had fixed itself the next time I tried it. Thanks for everyone that gave advise. Lets count it as a win :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement