Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 EeK9X

Hello, everyone!

I just signed up for these forums after googling for issues related to watching US-exclusive Netflix content on the Nvidia Shield TV.

I signed up for SmartyDNS in August of last year, after a successful trial period. My main uses have always been streaming movies and TV shows using the Shield, which is my main streaming device.

It worked perfectly until at least October. I then stopped watching US Netflix for a while, and when I tried to to that again this week, I was greeted with the unblocker/proxy error message.

I had the DNS servers manually configured, and later installed the SmartyDNS app. Even though it was configured correctly (even unblocking Amazon Prime Video), it didn't work for Netflix.

Since I also sign up to PIA, I tested with their app, and the results were the same as with SmartyDNS: everything working across all devices, except for Netflix on the Shield.

Are any of you having any success watching US Netflix on the Shield? If so, how?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

VPN Unlimited always works for me

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭habanerocat

Is there that much extra on the American sites, that you need a VPN?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭bazzz

There's sites like THIS one, that show you what's new in the various Netflix Global stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

bazzz wrote: »

There's sites like THIS one, that show you what's new in the various Netflix Global stores.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

Anyone have problems with bbc iplayer? It was working fine on Sunday. Now getting "something went wrong playing this programme 02100" error

OmegaGene wrote:
    Just checked mine and it’s playing fine Another update for the shield is in I think it’s 7.2.3 I was only half concentrating

I ran the update and now iplayer not working. Not sure there's a connection!

OmegaGene wrote:
    Well it might not be the vpn but the iPlayer app is locked down way more than the other apps. The 02001 error is apparently usually temporary. All other things being equal I can't think of anything other than the vpn being the issue for some reason. Or maybe a DNS issue. Maybe the DNS is somehow leaking around the VPN on your router or shield? Try restarting your router and shield. Maybe try another VPN? Some like tunnelbear have a free amount to use.

Thanks. I'll try that tomorrow when I'm back in the house. I was using express vpn with the same settings as before. But maybe a simple router restart may resolve it

OmegaGene wrote:
    Well it might not be the vpn but the iPlayer app is locked down way more than the other apps. The 02001 error is apparently usually temporary. All other things being equal I can't think of anything other than the vpn being the issue for some reason. Or maybe a DNS issue. Maybe the DNS is somehow leaking around the VPN on your router or shield? Try restarting your router and shield. Maybe try another VPN? Some like tunnelbear have a free amount to use.

Thanks. I'll try that tomorrow when I'm back in the house. I was using express vpn with the same settings as before. But maybe a simple router restart may resolve it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 EeK9X

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Are you sure an update didn’t upset your settings on the shield ?
    Getflix works for me

I’m sure. Apps like Amazon Prime Video are still unblocked on the Shield using either SmartyDNS or PIA, so it’s an issue especifically related to Netflix.

Reddit comments point out to newer versions of the Netflix app being more strict in terms of geoblocking, but even after uninstalling updates and reverting to the factory version of the app, the issue remains.

Someone also mentioned the Netflix app being locked internally to Google’s DNS servers, but you said that you’re having success with Getflix, and your Shield and Netflix app are both updated, according to your latest posts, so I don’t think the Netflix app is using Google’s DNS in any shape or form.

I’m actually still signed up for Getflix as well, which is the Smart DNS service I used before switching. Unfortunately, I “upgraded” to a lifetime plan thanks to a promo from a third-party website, and soon after that, Getflix stopped offering support to any devices other than computer browsers for “promo subscribers”.

That really upset me, considering I paid more for a lifetime subscription and they simply changed the terms and conditions of the agreement after I had signed up. They also used to be an Australian company, but were sold to a Turkish one and never made their customers aware of that fact. Kind of a shady business, IMO.

Bbc seem to be very good detecting vpn and blocking them, try a smart dns instead

Is that what you're using? Do you use a VPN at all to access the iPlayer?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭QuadaLumpins

ExpressVPN suddenly not working with Netflix.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭QuadaLumpins

Does the new update give new apps?

Think I saw something about NHL and Smithsonian?

Does the new update give new apps?

Think I saw something about NHL and Smithsonian?

You can check patch notes HERE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Are there apps for BBC iplayer and itv hub or do u watch them thru browser. I use nord vpn for Netflix and works great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

How did the update go ?
    I might leave it a week or two to see if there's any bugs in it .

there are apps yes

I can't get them on my shield at all using nord vpn. Any ideas why

Change the settings on the shield to the U.K.

Where abouts is that thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

It’s in settings under location

It's an odd one for the UK apps lately.
    I have 3 shields all set up identically, 2 running with BBC and ITV apps with no issue.
    1 was factory reset recently and set up with UK as location and language, but no BBC or ITV app visible.
    They are there via FX file explorer, but seems to be a localisation issue that is preventing them appearing.

Not a huge issue for me as I have the players added to my Kodi set up but it does make one of the TVs less wife friendly

Mr.S wrote: »
    Can you not just download the apps from the Play store? Setup a UK account and it should work fine.

On the shield with the issue, the apps don't even appear in the store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Is location services turned off? That's all I have to do to make them appear. Though that stops the Eurosport player from working.

Is location services turned off? That's all I have to do to make them appear. Though that stops the Eurosport player from working.

Yep location services off, everything set up same as my other 2 and the apps are unavailable.
    Other 2 shields are on the same network so I can't even blame IP issues it's very strange.

Been through every permutation to try and get them back and the closest I've gotten is the US video apps.

Like I said, not a huge issue as I just run the iPlayer and hub via Kodi but it's got me stumped as to what is triggering the localisation lock down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Anyone recommend some good batteries for the remote? Don't wanna get cheap aul crap that will die in no time, Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

xtal191 wrote: »
    Anyone recommend some good batteries for the remote? Don't wanna get cheap aul crap that will die in no time, Cheers

I find the best place to buy batteries is from eBay most of the ones on Amazon don't appear to ship here.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m4084.l1311.R1.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xcr.TRS0&_nkw=cr2032&_sacat=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

I have bought many things off eBay and never once had a problem including buying original Energizer batteries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Proper duracell batteries from a German seller on amazon. Free shipping (takes about a week)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01CG0TO76/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lennyzip wrote: »
    How did the update go ?
    I might leave it a week or two to see if there's any bugs in it .

Just bumping this , any feedback on it ?
    Anything peculiar happening with it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

All feedback on the GeForce forum suggests its gone good versus the last update

banie01 wrote: »
    Yep location services off, everything set up same as my other 2 and the apps are unavailable.
    Other 2 shields are on the same network so I can't even blame IP issues it's very strange.

Been through every permutation to try and get them back and the closest I've gotten is the US video apps.

Like I said, not a huge issue as I just run the iPlayer and hub via Kodi but it's got me stumped as to what is triggering the localisation lock down.
    Location settings is also off for me but can't get the apps and can't switch location. Any ideas

Location settings is also off for me but can't get the apps and can't switch location. Any ideas

Have you tried removing your Google Account from Settings>Accounts>Google and power off the Shield fully. Then power on connect to a UK server via your VPN and log back in to your Google Account?

• Advertisement

Have you tried removing your Google Account from Settings>Accounts>Google and power off the Shield fully. Then power on connect to a UK server via your VPN and log back in to your Google Account?

I'll try that now thanks

Still the same thing happening.

Still the same thing happening.

That's a shame, when you were logging back into your Google Account. Did you login via the Play Store or via Settings>Accounts>Add Account?
    Try logging in via the Play Store if you didn't do that. You'll need to remove the existing one again,
    then for the sake of it clear your cached data in Settings>Storage&Reset>Internal Storage>Cached data. Now power off and back on and login via the play store.
    Worth a try, you may need to look into a smart dns(mentioned before). Anyway good luck.

That's a shame, when you were logging back into your Google Account. Did you login via the Play Store or via Settings>Accounts>Add Account?
    Try logging in via the Play Store if you didn't do that. You'll need to remove the existing one again,
    then for the sake of it clear your cached data in Settings>Storage&Reset>Internal Storage>Cached data. Now power off and back on and login via the play store.
    Worth a try, you may need to look into a smart dns(mentioned before). Anyway good luck.

I'll try that later on thanks for help mate

Just on my continuing issue with Iplayer and ITV player not appearing on 1 of my shields.

I have the paid version of FX file explorer which includes an app explorer and settings editor.
    So as the unit question spends most of its time on standby ;) I just use FX's app options to enable the apps and they stick and appear in the app menu until a reboot.

On reboot, the apps show in FX explorer as system disabled.
    Its definitely a loclisation issue but I am unable to track down what is causing it.

Other option for anyone affected by similar is to add the Iplayer and Hub addons to Kodi.
    They may also be available for Plex/Emby but I have no clue really as I dont use those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

Ok so my Shield arrived. Are there any essential things I should do before setting up? I see talk of creating a regional Play account instead of an Irish one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Anyone else get performance issues using an IPTV player?
    Mine will be stuttery for the first 10 minutes then plays grand.
    Other times it'll freeze up completely, doesn't feel like it's overheating etc.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Anyone else get performance issues using an IPTV player?
    Mine will be stuttery for the first 10 minutes then plays grand.
    Other times it'll freeze up completely, doesn't feel like it's overheating etc.

Before you continue to discuss your IPTV issues, unless it's a legal IPTV setup(which I doubt)....You'll need to go elsewhere to discuss this.
    Plus whatever rubbish IPTV service your on, it's the cause of your problems. I'm sure the provider can offer you some placebo type solutions(for their oversold server)
    ....like power cycle your network and devices, clear caches, etc,etc. But the real issue is cheap oversold servers. That's all I'll add to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Tazzimus wrote:
    Anyone else get performance issues using an IPTV player? Mine will be stuttery for the first 10 minutes then plays grand. Other times it'll freeze up completely, doesn't feel like it's overheating etc.

No my iptv is 100 pc

• Advertisement

Before you continue to discuss your IPTV issues, unless it's a legal IPTV setup(which I doubt)....You'll need to go elsewhere to discuss this.
    Plus whatever rubbish IPTV service your on, it's the cause of your problems. I'm sure the provider can offer you some placebo type solutions(for their oversold server)
    ....like power cycle your network and devices, clear caches, etc,etc. But the real issue is cheap oversold servers. That's all I'll add to this.

Coke and a smile buddy.

The entire device will lock up at times, I was more wondering if maybe the app was causing performance issues, I've heard of some shields needing to be rma'd because of things like that, hence the question.

I wasn't about to start discussing IPTV itself, just used as an example.

Any useful diagnostic type apps that can be ran to see how it's using resources or that?

What app are you using ?
    Perfect player and stb emu are very good

If it’s the device locking up then it’s hardly related to iptv, could just factory reset it and see

Smarters app.

I used that as an example as it's what I'd use the most, so it's where I'd notice it the most.
    Might try the factory reset and see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭BandMember

Never heard of that app, try one of the popular ones and delete the one you have before a reset

Smarters IS one of the most popular ones. ;)

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Coke and a smile buddy.

The entire device will lock up at times, I was more wondering if maybe the app was causing performance issues, I've heard of some shields needing to be rma'd because of things like that, hence the question.

I wasn't about to start discussing IPTV itself, just used as an example.

Any useful diagnostic type apps that can be ran to see how it's using resources or that?

I wasn't jumping down your throat or anything:)... Usually what you described and gave IPTV as a example is bad servers causing streams to lock up and freeze out apps or OS's. Usually a sign of network issues. I see it's smarters your using, which works well for most. What player are you using within Smarters?
    Have you tried with other IPTV apps...GSE? Also how are you connected to the net and what kind of speeds are you on.

Shots fired :D

lol Not really:D

I wasn't jumping down your throat or anything:)... Usually what you described and gave IPTV as a example is bad servers causing streams to lock up and freeze out apps or OS's. Usually a sign of network issues. I see it's smarters your using, which works well for most. What player are you using within Smarters?
    Have you tried with other IPTV apps...GSE? Also how are you connected to the net and what kind of speeds are you on.

All good :)
    Standard player, might give VLC a try, think that's an option in it.

I'll try a few apps see how I get on, just said I'd check if other people had noticed performance issues with them as the reason I got it was because of the decent spec.
    Had read online about a few turkeys that froze up etc constantly.

Connected via Lan cable to the router, which being a virgin media hub is a pile of ****e anyway, and 360MB broadband so speed shouldn't be an issue.

I need to start playing around with it a bit more and see what it can really do, also if I can integrate it with Alexa somehow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I've nothing but issues since the Shield updated last week.

Plex media server no longer works.

My 128gb USB stick I had adopted as internal storage won't work. I've tried formatting it with no joy.

Loads of downloaded apps have disappeared

I keep getting a critical storage warning despite having about 7gb free.

And the shield itself is buggy and very laggy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I have been having a few problems as well, mainly I cannot get the Shield to show up on the network anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Xenji wrote: »
    I have been having a few problems as well, mainly I cannot get the Shield to show up on the network anymore.

I've had that for a while as well. Had been working perfectly, able to send files remotely without hassle etc

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I've nothing but issues since the Shield updated last week.

Plex media server no longer works.

My 128gb USB stick I had adopted as internal storage won't work. I've tried formatting it with no joy.

Loads of downloaded apps have disappeared

I keep getting a critical storage warning despite having about 7gb free.

And the shield itself is buggy and very laggy

No major issues yet . But the last update messed up my adoptive storage . Unmount that and see how the shield goes. Fixed everything for me .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

The twitch app finally got an update. (first update i have seen in two years)

Dark Mode added.

• Advertisement
Advertisement