Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Blazer wrote: »
    Open the plex app on your device and look for quality settings.
    Set it to original which means it will not do any transcoding. I set internet to 2mb or so even though I have about 10meg upload. But my nas struggles to decode.
    On your plex media server ensure its set to the same.

I'm curious as to how that improves streaming? The transcoding is done server side and should result in a smaller streaming file size, which should be faster to stream. Are your server and client on the same network? There should be no internet access needed for local network play so upload speed shouldn't factor in. TBH this was part of the reason I moved to Emby. I couldn't tell if Plex was streaming through my local network or through their servers and back. Not doubting your findings by the way. Just trying to muddle through what Plex is up to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

There is no transcoding in this setup. Client and server are acting more like an FTP server/client. PMS serves the file as-is on disk, client plays it - no transcoding. My setup works this way on LAN, bandwidth's not an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Transcoding uses serious processor power on the server to convert the media file on the fly and high IO rates on the storge and memory which can end up with glitching, stuttering or the audio being out of sync, even on your local network. You should always try to direct play as it uses next to no resources on the server.

Transcoding uses serious processor power on the server to convert the media file on the fly and high IO rates on the storge and memory which can end up with glitching, stuttering or the audio being out of sync, even on your local network. You should always try to direct play as it uses next to no resources on the server.

But I don't think it'll cause buffering issues, which is what most people are experiencing. With transcoding the bottle neck should be on the server, while with direct streaming it should be on the network.

Sorry lads, just trying to figure out what Plex is up to behind the scenes. The engineer in me is annoyed by it :D

xckjoo wrote: »
    But I don't think it'll cause buffering issues, which is what most people are experiencing. With transcoding the bottle neck should be on the server, while with direct streaming it should be on the network.

Yes it can. In fact a server transcoding to one user can cause buffering for anyone streaming at the same time. If you want the best experience for all users make sure they're ALL direct playing at all times.

I have a Hetzner dedi server running Emby I share out so I'm talking from lots of experience on this

• Advertisement

Yes it can. In fact a server transcoding to one user can cause buffering for anyone streaming at the same time. If you want the best experience for all users make sure they're ALL direct playing at all times.

I have a Hetzner dedi server running Emby I share out so I'm talking from lots of experience on this

Ah. I was thinking of it from a single client situation and would consider network buffering and transcoding issues as different. If your server is tied up transcoding for one client I can see how it would cause issues for all streaming. Transcoding is going to add one hell of an overhead.

Anyway, it's semantics at this stage. I'm finding Emby much easier to configure and is running like a champ so I should just forget about my Plex issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

I don't have an answer but have observed odd behaviour with similar setup (samsung tv, virgin box on HDMI 1, shield on HDMI 2. CEC on). I can wake/sleep the Shield with Samsung Remote and even operate the Shield with that remote. But, this is the strange part, the above only works if the VM box is powered on! So there's some dependency there on the HDMI ports somehow.

Still trying to figure it out. Denon are saying its a Harmony / Shield issue and Shield Chat have told me to do the below which seems like overkill and I dont want to remove everything and set it up again esp harmony. Its not interfering with the tv but just seems to take longer for TV to come on

Also make sure the Shield is directly connected to TV's 'HDMI ARC' port if available on TV.

For testing purpose also disconnect the harmony remote from the Shield, along with this if in case you have any external devices like, SD card, Flash drive, external hard drive, bluetooth keyboard / mouse dongles connected to the shield, try removing the same and now test if the Shield TV works fine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I used to encounter it as I have a synology has with dual core x86 processor.
    However it’s only rated for transcoding using the native video station and not plex.
    Transcoding absolutely kills the cpu in a nas.
    I used to get constant buffering and your network is too slow etc on even wired gigabit as the cpu on the nas was maxed out just from transcoding and couldn’t do it fast enough.
    The shield if you’re running plex server on it has a far more powerful cpu and can transcode 4 x 1080p streams simultaneously or so they say.

Blazer wrote: »
    I used to encounter it as I have a synology has with dual core x86 processor.
    However it’s only rated for transcoding using the native video station and not plex.
    Transcoding absolutely kills the cpu in a nas.
    I used to get constant buffering and your network is too slow etc on even wired gigabit as the cpu on the nas was maxed out just from transcoding and couldn’t do it fast enough.
    The shield if you’re running plex server on it has a far more powerful cpu and can transcode 4 x 1080p streams simultaneously or so they say.

Yeah the Shield has hardware transcoding in Plex offloading the FFMPEG processes to the very efficient GPU. You can still run into IO issues. I'm not sure how well it will cope with Emby transcodes though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

Currently testing out Emby. Quick question, does the app differentiate between movies and TV Shows? I have both Media folders on the server pointing to my media hard drives. On these drives I have everything bundled into various folders. On Plex, it knew the difference and was able to sort according to the type. It's not working for me on Plex and everything (inc. TV shows) is appearing in the Movies folder.

• Advertisement

chewed wrote: »
    Currently testing out Emby. Quick question, does the app differentiate between movies and TV Shows? I have both Media folders on the server pointing to my media hard drives. On these drives I have everything bundled into various folders. On Plex, it knew the difference and was able to sort according to the type. It's not working for me on Plex and everything (inc. TV shows) is appearing in the Movies folder.

No. You need to separate movies and shows, you should be doing this for Emby, Plex or Kodi
    https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie-naming
    https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/TV-naming

No. You need to separate movies and shows, you should be doing this for Emby, Plex or Kodi
    https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie-naming
    https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/TV-naming

OK cheers! I don't have to do this for Plex though. It can tell whether it's a movie or TV show and sort accordingly.

chewed wrote: »
    OK cheers! I don't have to do this for Plex though. It can tell whether it's a movie or TV show and sort accordingly.

Yes maybe it does by it will miss some. It's not the way it's supposed to be organised. They all have exact naming conventions and media folder layouts.
    https://www.techjunkie.com/name-tv-shows-movies-plex/

You really should put some time into sorting them before you setup. There is no excuse for this, there are plenty of organiser softwares and pvrs like Sonarr and Radarr that do this automatically.

Really liking Emby so far. Much better than Plex IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭razor12345

Hi

Can anyone point me to getting started with retro gaming on the shield, complete noob here so any help pms appreciate

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

razor12345 wrote: »
    Hi

Can anyone point me to getting started with retro gaming on the shield, complete noob here so any help pms appreciate

Cheers

I just set it up a few days ago myself. Not sure what others are using but I installed Retro Arch from the Play Store on the Shield. [mod snip]

This video should cover most of it:

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Have the Shield 12 months... only found out last night I can pair my PS4 controller to it happy days

Still trying to figure it out. Denon are saying its a Harmony / Shield issue and Shield Chat have told me to do the below which seems like overkill and I dont want to remove everything and set it up again esp harmony. Its not interfering with the tv but just seems to take longer for TV to come on

Also make sure the Shield is directly connected to TV's 'HDMI ARC' port if available on TV.

My Samsung TV has auto-updated its firmware in the last week and seems to have fixed my issues with Shield and CEC (I replied to your earlier post about your Samsung TV problem). Maybe check your problem again - manually update your TV firmware if you have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

My remote got damaged and isnt working at all now. Any recommendations on a good replacement? Not an original as they are about 100 pound. It's the newest version shield 2017.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

My remote got damaged and isnt working at all now. Any recommendations on a good replacement? Not an original as they are about 100 pound. It's the newest version shield 2017.
    Thanks

https://m.banggood.com/Q5-Bluetooth-2_4GHz-WIFI-Voice-Remote-Control-Air-Mouse-With-USB-Receiver-For-Smart-TV-Android-Box-PC-p-1301925.html?utm_design=13&utm_source=emarsys&utm_medium=Reviewinvitenew&utm_campaign=trigger-emarsys&utm_content=Yoshiki&sc_src=email_3372567&sc_eh=95d5716ba4887e621&sc_llid=580595&sc_lid=133333212&sc_uid=7LL3I9V5LG

Get the Bluetooth one. There is a video about setting it up with the Shield here

The trick is to switch off Bluetooth LE Privacy and reboot the shield.

• Advertisement

Nvidia have made a site where you sign up to the test Shield firmware update to fix any Emby/Plex high bitrate issues people have been having since firmware 7.2 https://surveys.nvidia.com/index.jsp?pi=ba7320153df027d1e7ff8991eb3a8173

Mr.S wrote: »
    Thank christ for that.

You could always get it by pm'ing your serial number to the mod sniper on the Geforce forum. I got signed up to it weeks ago. I posted about it here before. Mine has been working flawless for a few weeks, it was a very annoying issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

After I put in serial:
    Thank you for taking the time to respond. Please be aware some connectivity issues with your audio/video//networking may be resolved by updating the firmware of your HDTV, audio receiver or router to the latest version. Certain bugs may be difficult to troubleshoot without diagnostic logs from your device. If you would like to submit logs from your SHIELD with your feedback, please do so by choosing Settings from your SHIELD Android TV home screen -> on the following page scroll right and choose About -> select "Send feedback to NVIDIA". Include your email address in the description so that we may be able to match it to the feedback you submitted. If the bug you are reporting seldemly occurs, you may need to wait until the issue reappears before submitting the logs. Otherwise the diagnostic logs may not include the necessary
    Sooooo.. do I get the update or what? :confused:

Basq wrote: »
    After I put in serial:

Sooooo.. do I get the update or what? :confused:

Yes, you can search after a reboot to see if it's available if not it will arrive in a few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yes, you can search after a reboot to see if it's available if not it will arrive in a few hours.
    Thanks. Yeah, reboot didn't work so will try again in a few hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Anyone's game controler randomly keep going to the left without being touched?

cronos wrote: »
    Anyone's game controler randomly keep going to the left without being touched?

I get this and have to pull out the analogue stick every so often, grab it and gently pull it straight out until it clicks

Extremely! I thought it was my connection for a long time.

Yeah the mad thing is it's not affecting everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

stimpson wrote: »

I got one of these and my heart was broke with it constantly disconnecting itself from the shield, requiring a repair everytime.

Good little remote to be fair , and maybe I just got unlucky with mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Would someone mind telling me how you point the Shield Plex Server app at a locally connected NAS and how to select which content folders to make available to Plex and which ones to keep private?

Apologies if this is a silly question but I just don't see where that option is within the Plex Server settings menu on the Shield.

FYI I'm running Plex Server V1.14.1.5488, Storage Location is Internal (system), I have a 128GB SanDisk USB drive installed as device storage and I have the NAS mounted as storage on the Shield with both the NAS and the Shield connected directly to my router via Ethernet cables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

54&56 wrote:
    Apologies if this is a silly question but I just don't see where that option is within the Plex Server settings menu on the Shield.

AFAIK, you can't do it directly on the shield. You need to access it via a PC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    AFAIK, you can't do it directly on the shield. You need to access it via a PC

Thanks, you're spot on. That was doing my head in.

Found the NAS by logging into Plex on my browser and navigating to Settings -> Manage -> Library.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

I got one of these and my heart was broke with it constantly disconnecting itself from the shield, requiring a repair everytime.

Mine is the same, have to repair it otherwise it doesn't pick it up as connected. Good remote all the same but bit disappointed.

Edit - just saw the comment about the privacy setting, will test it tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

n1ck wrote: »
    Mine is the same, have to repair it otherwise it doesn't pick it up as connected. Good remote all the same but bit disappointed.

Edit - just saw the comment about the privacy setting, will test it tomorrow.

Yeah - you switch off Bluetooth LE Privacy and reboot the shield and it shouldn’t disconnect after that.

Problem is back for me. Plex seems to have been sorted but issue is still there on Emby :(

Mine is flawless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

stimpson wrote:
    Get the Bluetooth one. There is a video about setting it up with the Shield here

stimpson wrote:
    The trick is to switch off Bluetooth LE Privacy and reboot the shield.

I got the remote and set it up all fine and worked well.
    But I need to delete it and pair it again the following day every time sometimes twice a day depending on usage.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Taxedalot

Hi,

Looking for some help - getting a bit frustrated!

Been happily using the the 2017 Shield tv (16 gb) for about 18 months - love it, no issues at all. Until this week.

I have one of the recommended Sandisk USB thumb drives (can't remember the exact model) and have that drive set up as adaptive storage.

I'm now getting a fairly frequent pop-up telling me that shield storage is too low. When I go to Storage and Reset in settings, I see that most of the available 12 gb of internal storage is used, but that the thumb drive has 121 gb free.

I'm running Plex media server on the Shield which I know used to be an issue in the past - Plex didn't use expanded storage, but I understand that has been resolved now.

Anyone got any ideas on how I can overcome this? Is there a way to move things manually from the internal storage to the thumb drive?

Thanks,

Have you tried this: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4663/~/use-external-storage-for-plex-media-server-app-data

I've personally not tried this but it seems like that even after adding adoptive storage that a Plex migration still needs to be carried out? And you're sure the external USB has been adopted, yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Taxedalot wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking for some help - getting a bit frustrated!

Been happily using the the 2017 Shield tv (16 gb) for about 18 months - love it, no issues at all. Until this week.

I have one of the recommended Sandisk USB thumb drives (can't remember the exact model) and have that drive set up as adaptive storage.

I'm now getting a fairly frequent pop-up telling me that shield storage is too low. When I go to Storage and Reset in settings, I see that most of the available 12 GB of internal storage is used, but that the thumb drive has 121 GB free.

I'm running Plex media server on the Shield which I know used to be an issue in the past - Plex didn't use expanded storage, but I understand that has been resolved now.

Anyone got any ideas on how I can overcome this? Is there a way to move things manually from the internal storage to the thumb drive?

Thanks,

You need to adopt it as Internal storage within the shield settings(although you say you have it done,maybe format the drive and try again) and make sure you use a good quality drive with USB 3.
    Also to adopt as internal storage it needs to connect to port 1 on the Shield.
    There are links below covering all aspects of it including the recommenced drives to be used

General Overview and questions;

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1100425/shield-tv/hitchhikers-guide-to-the-shield-galaxy-everything-you-need-to-know-/

Hard drives etc.

https://www.androidcentral.com/best-external-drives-nvidia-shield-tv

General Q&A Forum

https://forums.geforce.com/default/board/159/shield-tv/

If using a small thumb drive i would advise on an extension cable to prevent direct contact with the shield as they are known to overheat(happened me) I current use a SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Flash Drive with 128GB of storage adopted as internal storage.

For Plex you need to go into the Plex settings and migrate the data to the adopted Drive also.See below

https://support.plex.tv/articles/220391808-media-storage-options-for-nvidia-shield/

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1054328/shield-tv/plex-media-server-app-data-can-now-use-external-usb-storage/1/

Happy reading.

You need to adopt it as Internal storage within the shield settings(although you say you have it done,maybe format the drive and try again) and make sure you use a good quality drive with USB 3.
    Also to adopt as internal storage it needs to connect to port 1 on the Shield.
    There are links below covering all aspects of it including the recommenced drives to be used

General Overview and questions;

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1100425/shield-tv/hitchhikers-guide-to-the-shield-galaxy-everything-you-need-to-know-/

Hard drives etc.

https://www.androidcentral.com/best-external-drives-nvidia-shield-tv

General Q&A Forum

https://forums.geforce.com/default/board/159/shield-tv/

If using a small thumb drive i would advise on an extension cable to prevent direct contact with the shield as they are known to overheat(happened me) I current use a SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Flash Drive with 128GB of storage adopted as internal storage.

For Plex you need to go into the Plex settings and migrate the data to the adopted Drive also.See below

https://support.plex.tv/articles/220391808-media-storage-options-for-nvidia-shield/

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1054328/shield-tv/plex-media-server-app-data-can-now-use-external-usb-storage/1/

Happy reading.

Thanks,

Have it as adopted storage already and it does show under the "device storage" section.

Maybe I'll try the extension cable in case it's overheating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I've a problem that just popped up today. Whenever using Kodi the screen keeps scrolling, or the video keeps fast forwarding, as if the right joystick is being pushed or stuck. For the moment it just appears to be with kodi, not Amazon Video/Netflix/Youtube/Games. I'm waiting (for twenty minutes) with the online chat, but any ideas what might be happening? I have the system about seven months with no issues.

I've a problem that just popped up today. Whenever using Kodi the screen keeps scrolling, or the video keeps fast forwarding, as if the right joystick is being pushed or stuck. For the moment it just appears to be with kodi, not Amazon Video/Netflix/Youtube/Games. I'm waiting (for twenty minutes) with the online chat, but any ideas what might be happening? I have the system about seven months with no issues.

I've had the exact same issue at times, putting the controller on charge stopped it for me. I have a harmony remote which is mostly what used for Kodi but the 2 game controllers are always lying around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I've had the exact same issue at times, putting the controller on charge stopped it for me. I have a harmony remote which is mostly what used for Kodi but the 2 game controllers are always lying around

I just got off with customer support. You need to remove the device as a paired device, go to settings/apps/bluetooth and clear all data (Have a keyboard or other remote to hand, I forgot about this and it caused some momentary problems!). Reset the shield, then reconnect the controller. I think an update shafted me, but so far this seems to have fixed the issue.

Have you tried this: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4663/~/use-external-storage-for-plex-media-server-app-data

I've personally not tried this but it seems like that even after adding adoptive storage that a Plex migration still needs to be carried out? And you're sure the external USB has been adopted, yeah?

Thanks - this was the issue!!

Taxedalot wrote: »
    Thanks,

Have it as adopted storage already and it does show under the "device storage" section.

Maybe I'll try the extension cable in case it's overheating.

Thanks - Plex was the issue, fixed now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I've posted about this before and while I do have workarounds, it is really bugging me as to the cause.

Running 3 Shields, 1 of which will not load the UK player apps no matter what I try.
    Other 2 Shields running on the same Google account, and with the same settings load the BBC/ITV app in the menu on startUp.

The 3rd, loads no "localised" apps at all.
    I can get it to load US apps, if I change region but selecting UK just brings Amazon Prime.

If I use FX explorer, I can navigate to the BBC/ITV app and reenable them via their app manager tool and they are then usable via the home screen but lost on reboot.

I'm thinking I may be able edit the package name and somehow get around the Shield localisation tool disabling the apps.

Any one encountered similar? Or have alternate work around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭keano25

Anyway to watch enigma 2 recordings on my shield?

keano25 wrote: »
    Anyway to watch enigma 2 recordings on my shield?

Yes
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.cyberdream.dreamepg.tv.player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

You can also enable the Vu+ tuner plugin in Kodi if you use that.
    Or if you use emby or Plex there are other steps to add your E2 tuners and make Live TV and recordings available.

If you don't use any of those, as THHB has said, dreamplayer from the store will cover all those bases too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Junior watching old cartoons on YouTube app on Shield. However I can't stretch it to fill up the screen and they are very boxy . Also tried you tube vanced and same issue. Tried to open link using vlc and typed in url but couldn't get it to open. Is there anyway to stretch stream to fill screen on either you tube app or any other way?

Junior not bothered but just wondering if possible

• Advertisement
Advertisement