Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Have to say a few days in and the Shield has been a bit of a pain so far, particularly regarding sound.

Yesterday I initially couldn't get the sound to sync properly on plex, went back to watching on my actual in built android TV. When I went back to the shield it had no sound at all, and nothing fixed it until I eventually just factory reset the device. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Amazon

none of the suppliers on amazon deliver to ireland. wouldn't use parcelmotel ever, ever again.

none of the suppliers on amazon deliver to ireland. wouldn't use parcelmotel ever, ever again.

Amazon's warehouse is out of stock of them. There were like 20 left when I ordered last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭bazzz

ronoc wrote: »
    Amazon's warehouse is out of stock of them. There were like 20 left when I ordered last week.

Some of the official partners from NVidia UK ship to Ireland as far as I remember. Scan do and it's the same price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

You also have Parcel wizard or Address Pal

Back when I got my shield you could sideload stuff easy enough, but they seem to have it locked down pretty good now (according to some of my mates who've recently got them)

Example, I've downloader on mine where I can easily enough put in URLs for apks, apparently downloader has been locked down now (the newer version on the shields play store) and I've Aptoide etc.

What's the fastest and easiest way people go about it now? When I say go about it, I mean to about getting the one magic app on there so people can sideload away?

Easiest way is to install X-plore File Manager

It opens up lots of ways of getting APKs onto your device,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

This arrived today , and I am blown away , it's so sleek and responsive. Anyone any tips regarding bkuettoh controllers? Tried to pair a PS4 controller and a knock off switch pro controller they both came up and paired . But when moving any of the buttons it was unresponsive any tip for this ?

When I plugged them in via the wired connection they worked fine ?

Just handy to have to wireless , using the Nvidia shield pro 2019

Anyone any solution for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭BandMember

bazzz wrote: »
    Some of the official partners from NVidia UK ship to Ireland as far as I remember. Scan do and it's the same price.

It's £199 on Scan and £211 on Amazon at the moment! Anyone ever buy direct from Scan or have any experience with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

BandMember wrote: »
    It's £199 on Scan and £211 on Amazon at the moment! Anyone ever buy direct from Scan or have any experience with them?

Scan are good, I have bought lots of computer parts off them in the past, 100% legit, good customer service, track and trace etc.

Bought from Scan earlier, went on to PriceSpy UK and saw them and another ebuy https://www.ebuyer.com/914652-nvidia-shield-tv-pro-2019-945-12897-2505-101?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pricespy&utm_campaign=pcomp

Same price, both have good reviews. Just went with scan for no specific reason, came to £212 in total with tracked DPD delivery, says it will be with me before Xmas but who knows, it’s not a present so doesn’t really matter. Ordered at 11:30am and it says it’s picked and dispatched on the tracker with scan which seems quite good.

• Advertisement

I bought one of the 2019 Pro's on release and had no hassle.

Bought from Scan earlier, went on to PriceSpy UK and saw them and another ebuy https://www.ebuyer.com/914652-nvidia-shield-tv-pro-2019-945-12897-2505-101?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pricespy&utm_campaign=pcomp

Same price, both have good reviews. Just went with scan for no specific reason, came to £212 in total with tracked DPD delivery, says it will be with me before Xmas but who knows, it’s not a present so doesn’t really matter. Ordered at 11:30am and it says it’s picked and dispatched on the tracker with scan which seems quite good.

Ebuyer won't ship to Ireland. You'd have to use AddressPal or PArcel Motel or similar services.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SierraTango

Nvidia site doesnt seem to deliver to ireland. Anyone know any other partner sites that do?

I ordered off the Nvidia site with address pal, picked up in the post office. No issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

Anyone know how to sideload uTorrent?. I have used the TV App Repo for other apps but always says "build failed" for uTorrent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

Are these out of stock across the board? Can't see them retailing anywhere... (Pro model)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Can someone explain to me like I'm 5 how I get content from my pc, over my network, to the external storage attached to the shield?

I have the nvidia shield mapped in Windows. I can see it and navigate etc. But it seems to be read only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Quickest way would be to plug the USB drive into your PC, copy the content then move it back.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me like I'm 5 how I get content from my pc, over my network, to the external storage attached to the shield?

I have the nvidia shield mapped in Windows. I can see it and navigate etc. But it seems to be read only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddd8UDsZowo

Inviere wrote: »
    Are these out of stock across the board? Can't see them retailing anywhere... (Pro model)

seems to be. got one from scan before xmas and they were the only one delivering to Ireland but they are out of stock now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Anyone have issues with VPNs disconnecting on the Shield? I use both Windscribe and Keepsolid VPN Unlimited on my tube Shield, and both disconnect regularly. sometimes its better than others, other times it could disconnect every couple of minutes. Very frustrating.
    I use both services on other devices, Android phone, iPad, Win10 laptop etc. and never have any disconnection issue on any device other than the Shield. Any pointers on a reason this may be happening or some setting which may be causing this?

seems to be. got one from scan before xmas and they were the only one delivering to Ireland but they are out of stock now.

I have the 2017 one for the bedroom, and I'd like to retire the PC in the living room from media center duties so want to pick up the 2019 for that room....I'll have to wait until they're restocked everywhere so :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Anyone have issues with VPNs disconnecting on the Shield? I use both Windscribe and Keepsolid VPN Unlimited on my tube Shield, and both disconnect regularly. sometimes its better than others, other times it could disconnect every couple of minutes. Very frustrating.
    I use both services on other devices, Android phone, iPad, Win10 laptop etc. and never have any disconnection issue on any device other than the Shield. Any pointers on a reason this may be happening or some setting which may be causing this?

Had the same problems as you,had to get rid of them, slowed down my shield big time,and couldn't get BBC player etc to work steady

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭cassette50

Back in stock now on Amazon..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

I have 2 X 2017 Shields and they are superb bar the bundled Plex Server app which I've have a ton of grief with.

One shield has my NAS as mounted storage and is running the server app pretty consistently. The other also has the NAS as mounted storage and is running the same version of the Plex server app but no Plex client can see the 2nd server and despite having a lifetime Plex pass and no matter what tweaks I make or how many times I uninstall and reinstall the Shield server app on the 2nd Shield I cannot get Plex to see the 2nd Shield box as a server.

I know it's a real first world problem but it's really annoying me :-(

54and56 wrote: »
    I have 2 X 2017 Shields and they are superb bar the bundled Plex Server app which I've have a ton of grief with.

One shield has my NAS as mounted storage and is running the server app pretty consistently. The other also has the NAS as mounted storage and is running the same version of the Plex server app but no Plex client can see the 2nd server and despite having a lifetime Plex pass and no matter what tweaks I make or how many times I uninstall and reinstall the Shield server app on the 2nd Shield I cannot get Plex to see the 2nd Shield box as a server.

I know it's a real first world problem but it's really annoying me :-(

Are you sure it's possible to run 2x Plex servers on the same connection? It would at least mean some manual configuration of different ports. The authentication is done through the Plex website. You would possibly need to turn off upnp and manually add the firewall rules.

• Advertisement

cassette50 wrote: »
    Back in stock now on Amazon..

Sterling rate is horrendous at the mo so that rules out .co.uk, I see .de are taking orders but its temp outta stock. Amazon.it have it though...

Anyone , know where to buy the official stand for this , the 2019 version ?

Anyone , know where to buy the official stand for this , the 2019 version ?

From Nvidia UK, using Parcel Motel or AddressPal.

Sterling rate is horrendous at the mo so that rules out .co.uk, I see .de are taking orders but its temp outta stock. Amazon.it have it though...

I don’t get this when people say as much about the rate when buying something for a few hundred quid. Even if euro v gbp weakened something crazy like extra 6p to the euro over a few weeks to something like it was in August (which it won’t)...you will save €12 or thereabouts. It’s meaningless, unless buying a car or property or something from UK.

I don’t get this when people say as much about the rate when buying something for a few hundred quid. Even if euro v gbp weakened something crazy like extra 6p to the euro over a few weeks to something like it was in August (which it won’t)...you will save €12 or thereabouts. It’s meaningless, unless buying a car or property or something from UK.

It's worth the extra few Bob,I've the 2017/18 version and it knocks the socks off any other box end of+ obviously the newer version is better again and reg shield price they really don't go down much

• Advertisement

Actually, with the delivery price of roughly a tenner on .de, the .uk one comes out at around the same price through free delivery. Considering that, I think I'll just order it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mr.S wrote: »
    For those who don't use Netflix and have a 2019 Shield model - you can remap the Netflix button to something else, eg Plex / Emby
    Niiiice!

Still have the '17 Shield model but would love to be able to do that with my Roku on my bedroom telly.

ZvBoHcwEtG5bTASZY7Aik7-768-80.jpg

Rakuten TV, WWE TV and Deezer as hot buttons?!?! What a waste! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Just a quick heads up, anyone who fancies a quality built second controller (and don't mind it being in pink:))

Argos are doing these Xbox one's currently at €24.99.

Apparently they'll work slot on with the shield, so if like me you've a decent library of retro games, but only one controller, you can now multiplay at a reasonable price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

McMurphy wrote: »
    Just a quick heads up, anyone who fancies a quality built second controller (and don't mind it being in pink:))

Argos are doing these Xbox one's currently at €24.99.

Apparently they'll work slot on with the shield, so if like me you've a decent library of retro games, but only one controller, you can now multiplay at a reasonable price.

There not available anymore in Argos sold out everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1 johnsmith70

Very and nice and informative post. I mostly use and big fan of hulu. And really enjoys Hulu live TV free trial a lot.

There not available anymore in Argos sold out everywhere

They were yesterday evening when I posted this.

Not to sure if this allowed? But anyone succesfully schedule recordings off iptv on the shield tv pro 2019?

Could I use emby ?

Not to sure if this allowed? But anyone succesfully schedule recordings off iptv on the shield tv pro 2019?

Could I use emby ?
    Afaik it's impossible to schedule recordings via IPTV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭BandMember

Afaik it's impossible to schedule recordings via IPTV

Wrong, but we're not allowed to talk about IPTV here so we'll leave it at that.

Wrong, but we're not allowed to talk about IPTV here so we'll leave it at that.
    Thought as much ! Might dig around.

• Advertisement

Thought as much ! Might dig around.

Getting a shovel myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

Anyone having problems trying to update apps in the play store on shield? All the apps that have updates just get stuck on Dowload Pending message

Anyone having problems trying to update apps in the play store on shield? All the apps that have updates just get stuck on Dowload Pending message

I had this issue on a MiBox which turned out to be that the storage was full. Deleted my Kodi install which had grown huge and the apps installed fine

I had this issue on a MiBox which turned out to be that the storage was full. Deleted my Kodi install which had grown huge and the apps installed fine

Thanks. Tried uninstalling kodi and a few other apps. Still no luck. Tried rebooting and clearing cache on Google play as well

Cleared Data in Google play app and that's fixed it

I'm having problems trying to view my Shield folders from a PC. I found a workaround on a forum, adding a SMB value to regedit. It worked for a while, but now when I try to access the SHIELD folder in Network, it just pops up with a Properties dialogue box and I can't log in.

Anyone else having issues trying to access the Shield from PC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

chewed wrote: »
    I'm having problems trying to view my Shield folders from a PC. I found a workaround on a forum, adding a SMB value to regedit. It worked for a while, but now when I try to access the SHIELD folder in Network, it just pops up with a Properties dialogue box and I can't log in.

Anyone else having issues trying to access the Shield from PC?

My guess is you are having an issue with accessing SMBv1 if so try this,
    https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1037477/

jspuds wrote: »
    My guess is you are having an issue with accessing SMBv1 if so try this,
    https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1037477/

Yes, that's exactly what I tried. But now when I try to open SHIELD from the Network section, the Properties dialogue box opens instead of the login/password.

• Advertisement

Lads, not really sure if this is a question suited to the Shield thread or if I should be heading over to a specific forum on TVs etc, but anyway here goes.

I got a new TV recently, finally upgraded my 12 year old Samsung that was going as good as the day I bought it.

I'm now on a 4k model, and I have sky Q, a PS4pro and the shield connected to it (sky/Shield via a 4K HDMI splitter)

I've noticed that when I turn on the PS4 I get a "HDR MODE" or something to that effect displayed in the corner for a few seconds.

I don't get that display for sky/the shield though, and I've both units set up to display in 4k via the relevant settings.

I'm wondering if the HDMI splitter is somehow responsible, or is there something else I'm missing?

How does one perform a test to see if the display is actually in 4k?

Advertisement