Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Why are you using a splitter? It may not suport 4k. Connect direct to the TV HDMI input and test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Why are you using a splitter? It may not suport 4k. Connect direct to the TV HDMI input and test

Using the splitter as it only has 3 HDMI ports, one of which is at the side and isn't very accessible, but also I believe I read somewhere that it doesn't support a 4k input, but I might be talking through my hoop:D

It's 43" btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Mr.S wrote: »
    What size is the screen? Under 60' and you'll have a hard time telling the difference between HD and 4K anyway :pac:

Check what resolution the tv is outputting the connection you're on - that will tell you what resolution. A cheaper HDMI splitter can cause issues, so compare with connecting it directly.

Not sure how I do that , but am going to have a go at connecting them directly later and will report back

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Barney224

Does anyone know if it's possible to change the Player in Plex app on the Shield? I'd love to change it to VLC. I'm having a few issues with audio syncing and can't seem to be able to offset the audio in Plex.

Barney224 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it's possible to change the Player in Plex app on the Shield? I'd love to change it to VLC. I'm having a few issues with audio syncing and can't seem to be able to offset the audio in Plex.

Transcoding or direct play? I'm guessing transcoding. Figuring out why you're transcoding and getting direct play will most likely fix your issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Barney224

Transcoding or direct play? I'm guessing transcoding. Figuring out why you're transcoding and getting direct play will most likely fix your issues

Sorry, I've no idea what that means! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Barney224 wrote: »
    Sorry, I've no idea what that means! :confused:
    Direct Play means you're playing the movie file as is (original audio / video) direct from the server.. but Transcoding would be converting the file's video / audio to a lower bitrate (while it's playing) to support playing smoothly on an Internet connection.

I'm more of an Emby user but there should be an area in Plex to see whether you're Transcoding or not while you're playing a movie - it's 'Stats for nerds' in Emby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Have 3 Shield TVs and been going great. One of them, bought in 2018, has just stopped working. Green light does not come on when I plug it in. Normally devices have a reset button but I can’t see any, what steps should I follow to try reset it? I don’t mind wiping it to factory reset to get it back working, just not sure what to do as couldn’t find clear instructions online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Have 3 Shield TVs and been going great. One of them, bought in 2018, has just stopped working. Green light does not come on when I plug it in. Normally devices have a reset button but I can’t see any, what steps should I follow to try reset it? I don’t mind wiping it to factory reset to get it back working, just not sure what to do as couldn’t find clear instructions online.

This might help...

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4052/~/factory-reset-shield-tv-when-you-are-unable-to-access-android-settings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Just dipping into Gaming and registered for GeForce(thought I registered before :o) to get access to games

What is the normal waiting time for Ireland ? Different forums saying 2 weeks to a year.

• Advertisement

Just dipping into Gaming and registered for GeForce(thought I registered before :o) to get access to games

What is the normal waiting time for Ireland ? Different forums saying 2 weeks to a year.

I know someone waiting months, I think the beta is full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

I got it within a few hours. Check your spam.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SierraTango

I got it in a few hours after registering the Shield.

Cheers

Got onto chat and sorted it out and can login. I was registered for something else. Going to try Mortal Kombat just need to locate controller.

I'm on WiFi 5ghz but saying bandwidth low and can't hardwire shied. Take it no way of fixing this and games may buffer?

Cheers

Got onto chat and sorted it out and can login. I was registered for something else. Going to try Mortal Kombat just need to locate controller.

I'm on WiFi 5ghz but saying bandwidth low and can't hardwire shied. Take it no way of fixing this and games may buffer?

There's a speedtest app you can install on the shield, there may be nothing wrong your side. I sometimes get this warning on ethernet as the servers for some games must be far away

Are there free games on shield?

I went in and i thought mortal combat was free. Then I had to create a steam account and not free need to own it. I saw on initial menu some free games but can't find any? I thought that this game and street fighter was free.?

Then again I can't find start button on new controller either :-(

Still messing around with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

^ Is GeForce Now still free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Cheers

If u have a vpn setup, switch it off

Are there free games on shield?

I went in and i thought mortal combat was free. Then I had to create a steam account and not free need to own it. I saw on initial menu some free games but can't find any? I thought that this game and street fighter was free.?

Then again I can't find start button on new controller either :-(

Still messing around with it

There's a decent selection of older games free on Geforce now

Batman: Arkham City
    Batman: Arkham Origins
    BioShock Remastered
    Borderlands
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    Just Cause 2
    Lego Batman 2 DC Super Heroes
    Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4
    Lego Harry Potter: Years 5-7
    Mini Ninjas
    Saints Row: The Third
    Saints Row IV
    Sleeping Dogs
    Sniper Elite V2
    Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
    Spec Ops: The Line
    Street Fighter X Tekken
    The Bureau: XCOM Declassified
    The Lego Movie Video Game
    Thief
    Tomb Raider
    Ultra Street Fighter IV
    Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine

Others you need to own on Steam, uplay or Rockstar. I bought GTA V, COD world at war and a few others on the sales just to play on my mine.

heffsarmy wrote: »
    If u have a vpn setup, switch it off

Just have Lilly dns changer running to block adds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Seems my controller has gone belly up. It still works turning on and off my TV but I cant seem to sync it with the SHield. Any ideas?
    ANy good deals out there for new ones?

There's a decent selection of older games free on Geforce now

Batman: Arkham City
    Batman: Arkham Origins
    BioShock Remastered
    Borderlands
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    Just Cause 2
    Lego Batman 2 DC Super Heroes
    Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4
    Lego Harry Potter: Years 5-7
    Mini Ninjas
    Saints Row: The Third
    Saints Row IV
    Sleeping Dogs
    Sniper Elite V2
    Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
    Spec Ops: The Line
    Street Fighter X Tekken
    The Bureau: XCOM Declassified
    The Lego Movie Video Game
    Thief
    Tomb Raider
    Ultra Street Fighter IV
    Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine

Others you need to own on Steam, uplay or Rockstar. I bought GTA V, COD world at war and a few others on the sales just to play on my mine.

Street fighter games I'd like to play. So go into Nvidia games app and should be in there to get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

For those using Retrox or Retroarch, where do you get the roms? I'd love to get the SNES and Atari roms, but wondering if these can be downloaded legally?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

chewed wrote: »
    For those using Retrox or Retroarch, where do you get the roms? I'd love to get the SNES and Atari roms, but wondering if these can be downloaded legally?

I think the only ROMS that are legal are ones avaialble on the Internet Archive, but those would be pretty old.

ROMs of more modern stuff, from NES up for instance, well, those aren't legal (and its most likely we can't even discuss it here)

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I think the only ROMS that are legal are ones avaialble on the Internet Archive, but those would be pretty old.

ROMs of more modern stuff, from NES up for instance, well, those aren't legal (and its most likely we can't even discuss it here)

What he said

Plenty of groups on book face and elsewhere;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I know this has been asked a few times, and there are reddit threads and NVIDIA threads on how to do it best. But it seems android updates and shield updates have made lots of them out of date and as a result I keep encountering problems.

soo....

Does anyone know the best way to send files from my PC to an external hard drive plugged into the shield without making that harddrive into "internal memory".

I have tried.

1: Mapping it as a harddrive on windows. Works, but is read only.
    2: FTP for Android TV. Doesn't seem to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jonski

errlloyd wrote:
    1: Mapping it as a harddrive on windows. Works, but is read only. 2: FTP for Android TV. Doesn't seem to work.

Someone with more knowledge than me might be able to explain this better but I remember when I tried to get this working I vaguely remember having to enable or disable smb1 . And I think that got it working . I'll try and find a link when I am back on my pc .

jonski wrote:
    . I'll try and find a link when I am back on my pc .

On Windows 7 – 10 PC:

Control Panel -> Programs and Features ->  Turn Windows feature on/off - > SMB1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support - > Enable  SMB1.0/CIFS server

jonski wrote: »
    Someone with more knowledge than me might be able to explain this better but I remember when I tried to get this working I vaguely remember having to enable or disable smb1 . And I think that got it working . I'll try and find a link when I am back on my pc .
    On Windows 7 – 10 PC:

Control Panel -> Programs and Features ->  Turn Windows feature on/off - > SMB1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support - > Enable  SMB1.0/CIFS server

Thanks for posting, but that doesn't seem to have fixed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

errlloyd wrote: »
    Thanks for posting, but that doesn't seem to have fixed it.

I have posted on this previously in this thread somewhere.
    As mentioned you need to have the SMB set up.

Map the Hard drive onto the Laptop or PC,once it has been mapped the Shield will create a folder called Nvidia Shield, this folder is a read/write folder no other folder on the drive will be editable.

You can then create sub folders in the Nvidia Folder,I have set up Movies/TV with further individual TV series sub folders again/Photos etc.

I have 3 HDDs connected through a powered USB Hub with one assigned as Internal and 2 assigned as Externals and its the externals where all my above mentioned folders are located.
    I use this for plex and can delete folders in the HDD directly within Plex.
    I also download through the laptop directly into the HDD's via the Shield.

That worked. And I am incredibly grateful. I obviously should have got it sooner, but I just didn't. But your explanation worked perfectly. There's a tenner to Pieta House as a thanks.

500230.JPG

No Problem and fair play for your donation,I shall match it tomorrow.

Someone with more knowledge than me might be able to explain this better but

As mentioned you need to have the SMB set up.

Map the Hard drive onto the Laptop or PC,once it has been mapped the Shield will create a folder called Nvidia Shield, this folder is a read/write folder no other folder on the drive will be editable.

You can then create sub folders in the Nvidia Folder,I have set up Movies/TV with further individual TV series sub folders again/Photos etc.

See ? See ?, I told you some intelligent person would come along . :D
    Nice gesture btw

[IMG][/img]4pBHaLc.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Tried retrox there on my shield first time in about 2 months and won't work even after update.any idea on a fix guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Tried retrox there on my shield first time in about 2 months and won't work even after update.any idea on a fix guys

I uninstalled it and then could not re download
    However in my downloaded files I had the original APK - installed that - it then updated and I’ve been great ever since...

Do Geforce remove games frequently?

I did have Street Fighter X Tekken and now I see its been removed?

Is there any way of owning them rather than have them dissappear

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭setanta1984

I have Aptoide app store installed on my shield - I’ve noticed that when I go to the My Apps section there are a lot of updates pending, not just apps installed from aptoide but built in apps and apps installed from the Play Store.

Wondering is there any downside to installing updates to these kind of apps through Aptoide? Play Store seems to be way behind with some updates - noticed some apps saying updates available in aptoide for weeks (big ones, like Netflix, Spotify etc) but nothing in Play store. If I start to update via aptoide will that mean some of those apps will only be updatable through that going forward? probably over thinking it.

Related question, but am I blind or is there no way to force the Play store to check for new updates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭keredern

Hi, just got the 8gb tube Shield from Amazon.

All going great until I went to use it the other evening...

Netflix & Amazon Prime both playing at a fastforward speed for no apparent reason.

YouTube plays at normal speed but has no sound!

I am totally at a loss as to what has happened.

I don't recall making any system changes and have checked all connections, etc.

It's connected by ethernet cable.

I rebooted but don't want to do system restore as I've added Kodi and BBC iPlayer.

I'm not that techie and would hate to have to re-add them as it was a bit of a pain to do!!

All had been working great after these were added, so probably not the problem.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

I have Aptoide app store installed on my shield - I’ve noticed that when I go to the My Apps section there are a lot of updates pending, not just apps installed from aptoide but built in apps and apps installed from the Play Store.

Wondering is there any downside to installing updates to these kind of apps through Aptoide? Play Store seems to be way behind with some updates - noticed some apps saying updates available in aptoide for weeks (big ones, like Netflix, Spotify etc) but nothing in Play store. If I start to update via aptoide will that mean some of those apps will only be updatable through that going forward? probably over thinking it.

Related question, but am I blind or is there no way to force the Play store to check for new updates?

Google have removed auto updates apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Anyone know or can recommend a good remote to get for the Shield TV, mine is getting very spotty when you press buttons so want to get another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

ERG89 wrote: »
    Anyone know or can recommend a good remote to get for the Shield TV, mine is getting very spotty when you press buttons so want to get another one.

I am operating mine with the Logitech Harmony (with hub) and it works like a dream. All in 1 solution......would never give it up.

I am operating mine with the Logitech Harmony (with hub) and it works like a dream. All in 1 solution......would never give it up.

+1, it's a big investment but worth it. I have harmony in 2 rooms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Another vote for the harmony here, the companion pack is a decently priced entry to the system, hub and a good no frills remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 eoneill

ERG89 wrote: »

I needed a replacement late last year and bought this on Amazon and I'm very happy with it. qwerty keyboard on the back, air-mouse functionality and "learning" ability.
    I haven't used the learning bit but otherwise I find it great. Hope this helps. :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rii-i25-Wireless-Keyboard-Rechargable-Black/dp/B01FDYXFTK/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3PWE4WY5ZS59F&keywords=rii+mini+i25&qid=1580069533&s=computers&sprefix=rii+mini+i25%2Ccomputers%2C150&sr=1-5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

8.0.2 firmware just landed on mine. When I select Whats New the screen appears momentarily and disappears.
    Installing as we speak......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

8.0.2 firmware just landed on mine. When I select Whats New the screen appears momentarily and disappears.

Same thing happened on Shield 2015. No notes.

It installed fine though :)

Must look for the patch notes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Fixes
    - HD audio dropouts

- SMB Server timeout/disconnect when transferring large files

- Add G30 remote extra button support to G20 keymap as they share the same device ID

- Movies Anywhere content fails to play when Atmos is enabled

- 2015 SHIELD Controller firmware cannot be updated

- Add IR support for Panasonic VSX series receviers

- Fixes Google certification issue where SHIELD was not starting Google TV launcher on pressing Home button on 3rd party launcher

- Support write to nas for Channels DVR app

- Fix for Audio Passthrough in Kodi (Kodi version 18.6 needed: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/16955) This fix is partial, there is stuttering happening that will be fixed in the next version of this HotFix.

- Support for Sanskrit USB DAC

- Fix for supporting Samsung soundbar power control

- Google certfication to allow Disney+ to be downloaded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Nvidia just emailed to let me know the new remote is available.
    Clicked thru to buy, but currently seems to be North America shipping only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

Ah, so not just me then. My What's New screen has done this the last 2-3 updates too. If you wait 10s-20s (I forget exactly) it'll flash up again and disappear. Last time I recorded a video of the TV and paused the recording when it flashed up :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement