Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

McMurphy wrote:
    Can't get into Netflix with it, but everything else is working.

Had a similar issue but it was actually that I hadn't setup a static route on my server. The setting is locked on my current IP router so going to put it onto bridge mode and attach a new one. It should sort the problem out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Zilog

Disney plus still buffering and unsuable with getflix for me. Shame really.
    This is a strange one for me. The Shield is doing something different, or there are some other setting(s) to be changed.
    Note I have location services turned off on the Shield.
    I do not block Google DNS at the router as it creates problems on other devices e.g. chromecasting.

Getflix for me, with the nVidia Shield (v2017), makes Disney+ unwatchable due to buffering and always gives the US catalogue, regardless of Getflix setting and Getflix DNS used. The Shield is connected via an ethernet cable.
    With an XBox One S attached to the same cable, using Getflix DNS, I can watch the US catalogue no problem!

A Fire TV Stick 4K in another room also works with the US catalogue with no buffering issues. I use a USB - Ethernet adapter.

I haven't tried non-Getflix DNS on the Shield as I use it for iPlayer and ITV, which need the DNS and work with no problem.

I leave Netflix setting off and use the Irish catalogue.
    Disney+ is the only one that creates a problem on the Shield. Weird!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Zilog

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Try switching of group c on the getflix dashboard refresh getflix and sign out and back into Disney plus
    Thanks for the reply; have tried but not recently, I'll give it a go again!
    Do you select 'Ireland' or 'Turn off' out of curiosity?
    Neither have worked, but I may not have logged out and in again on Disney+, so I'll check later, thanks.

What is odd is that US works without buffering on my other devices!

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

banie01 wrote: »
    Just install the app on your phone. As long as it's on the same network as your shield, i.e sharing the same WAN it will update.

If phone is on WiFi and shield is wired it won't matter.
    Unless you are subnetting, and let's be honest without meaning to sound like a dick ;) if you what that was you wouldn't be asking how to run a smart DNS.

Hi Banie - I presume for that option to work I need to change the DNS settings on my router yeah ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Daz_ wrote: »
    Hi Banie - I presume for that option to work I need to change the DNS settings on my router yeah ?

No, you don't.
    Just have the devices on the same WAN as I mentioned.

if you have DNS setup on shield, and your phone is connected to WIfi via the same router.
    It will update.

As Gooey looey has suggested, you seem to be getting static local, and static public mixed up and are drastically overthinking it.
    Getflix has a very straight forward set up and a good explanation and guide on the website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

I think you're not understanding local and public IP. Local IPs are given out by your router to your devices using DHCP (or you can set static). The public IP is the one given to your router by your provider (it you can ask them and pay for static). If you don't pay for a static public IP from your provider it can change every so often (dynamic IP) so this is the one that needs updating and any local device connected to your router can do this

So, quick question regarding the Shield, does it have some form of active geolocation that Netflix accesses? I changed my Getflix DNS settings to router level, and added the static routes, so all my devices can access US Netflix. However, the Netflix app on the shield still detects that I'm using a proxy service. Getflix customer support weren't able to help, so I'm wondering if it's something on the shield itself (location services, IP6 etc. are all off).

Also, it's only Netflix, BBC, Disney, Amazon Video all work fine.

Location services and ipv6
    Force close Netflix and reopen and it should be the american version and if not sign out and back in again

Unfortunately not, location services are disabled, ipv6 is off, and I've force closed Netflix a number of times. I've also changed my clock to the US to see if that would help.

Check the dashboard on Netflix website and check Netflix is turned on and that the dns settings are okay

I think it's a problem particular to the Shield. The router settings work fine on my android phones, ipad, and laptop. It seems to be an issue with the static route, and despite Getflix providing an extra half dozen settings to me nothing is working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Disney+ has been unwatchable for me today using GetFlix.
    Using London DNS if that matters.

It’s working for me anyway so that’s weird

It must be some setting I'm missing on the Shield. Location services and IPV6 are off, BBC and Amazon video are fine, and US Netflix is fine on all other devices. Once I find whatever stupid thing I've missed I'll let ye know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

ongarite wrote: »
    Disney+ has been unwatchable for me today using GetFlix.
    Using London DNS if that matters.

Working fine now after restarting ethernet connection.
    Maybe Shield doesn't like resuming connections from static IP addresses after being on sleep mode.

Okay, so perusing a view Nvidia forums it appears that the Netflix TV app v. 6 + is the problem as it stops buffering at 24%, which has been happening to me all day. Ah well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Since the last update, Chromecast has been borked on the Shield for me.

And i swear to Jesus, if Plex don't stop pushing updates out to the Shield - christ, every time i go to use it, it has to be updated (manually too, even though i've downloads for updates set to automatic)

gerrybbadd wrote:
    Since the last update, Chromecast has been borked on the Shield for me.

I thought it was just me, everytime I tried to cast from YouTube on my laptop it would open the app on shield, but nothing would play. If I can get hold of a USB A to USB A this week I think I'm going to roll back to 7.2. For some reason I can't connect the shield to my laptops USB C port and my only A to A cable is in my office...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bozharry1

Hi everyone.
    I’m looking to buy the new pro version of the shield but Nvidia is out of stock.Is there anywhere I can get my hands on one?I already have the 2017 model and I love it.Any help would be great.

Ok, the default IP to login to that router is 192.168.8.1. login and look for DHCP in the LAN section, you should see the range the router is giving out from. It will be will be something like 192.168.8.x-192.168.8.y

So just one last thing on this - the range is from 100 to 200. So if I then change the IP to an ending such as 201 I should be good to go ?
    Currently under static it says not internet connected

So just one last thing on this - the range is from 100 to 200. So if I then change the IP to an ending such as 201 I should be good to go ?
    Currently under static it says not internet connected

Yep

Yep

Think I will need to admit defeat , changed Ip to end in 99 and 205 and still says “no internet “

Maybe my provider has some block on static

Think I will need to admit defeat , changed Ip to end in 99 and 205 and still says “no internet “

Is your shield wired into a switch or anything prior to the router? Or is it a direct connection?

Who is your BB provider?
    The only providers that have issue with smart DNS are mobile providers as your WAN address is usually a public IP.

• Advertisement

Is your shield wired into a switch or anything prior to the router? Or is it a direct connection?

Who is your BB provider?
    The only providers that have issue with smart DNS are mobile providers as your WAN address is usually a public IP.
    No it’s on a wireless connection and the provider is Three

What gateway did you use?

No it’s on a wireless connection and the provider is Three

Smart DNS will not, so far as I know work on Three unless you are assigned a private IP by them directly.

I don't play around much with MBB anymore, but afaik there used to be a specific APN that allowed for it but I don't know what it is.

What gateway did you use?

I actually left the gateway as it was . Should that be adjusted too?

I actually left the gateway as it was . Should that be adjusted too?

No, it should be the router LAN IP

Mr.S wrote: »
    If you haven't already, trying using the custom DNS at router level and not device level.

For whatever reason, I've found the Shield quite buggy with setting custom network settings.

1st thing that needs to be nailed down is whether the APN being used for the WAN connection is providing a public or private IP.

Smart DNS won't work on a Public IP so that needs to be sorted, then we can work backwards.

If the DNS is applied at the router level and still doesn't work, sure sign of public IP but there are tools to check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭Dermobrickie

I have a three mobile SIM and I can get getflix working, just have it set up at device level on windows laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Is getflix still acting up for others? Or to be more precise, specifically Netflix access with Getflix?

I've just turned it off for the last week or so, checked this evening and it's still the same, logged in and out of Netflix and Getflix, and also rebooted my router and shield but nope, not letting me in unless I turn it off on the Getflix dashboard.

McMurphy wrote:
    Is getflix still acting up for others? Or to be more precise, specifically Netflix access with Getflix?

McMurphy wrote:
    I've just turned it off for the last week or so, checked this evening and it's still the same, logged in and out of Netflix and Getflix, and also rebooted my router and shield but nope, not letting me in unless I turn it off on the Getflix dashboard.

Only on the Shield. I think it's something to do with the Shield Experience 8 update and Netflix TV 6 update. I've gone through a dozen static route settings and no joy. I did try rooting and downgrading, but with older versions of Netflix the system insists on an update to play.

I just changed my smartDNS setup from device level, to direct assignation to device via MAC.

Should have done it ages ago as it makes device management far simpler IMO.
    Luckily I use an Asus router for my home network with lots of management options.

Device level works, but as has been pointed can be a bit flakey on latest Shield update.

• Advertisement

I can't get Getflix to work with Netflix on the latest Shield update, and iPlayer is very buggy - buffering every 2-3mins and then freezes and needs a restart.

It does seem to point to issues on the Shield as it works fine via other devices using the same DNS.

When I have some time i'm going to try Unlocator, a similar service to see if that works better then Getflix on the Shield.

Pitty, Getflix has been flawless the last few years.

I joined up and it packs in...... Typical I'm a jinx.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Hi all, I’ve been having a very annoying issue with my shield tv, every time I start it up I get a ‘no signal detected’ message on my LG tv. Unplugging and replugging the hdmi cable at the back of the shield gets the tv to recognise it instantly. Unit works perfectly otherwise and has the latest updates etc. I have replaced the hdmi cable with a brand new one, issue is still there. Anybody come across this before and if so is there a fix?

Hi all, I’ve been having a very annoying issue with my shield tv, every time I start it up I get a ‘no signal detected’ message on my LG tv. Unplugging and replugging the hdmi cable at the back of the shield gets the tv to recognise it instantly. Unit works perfectly otherwise and has the latest updates etc. I have replaced the hdmi cable with a brand new one, issue is still there. Anybody come across this before and if so is there a fix?

With LG TVs I've noticed that if the shield is connected to any port other than HDMI 1 that handshake issues and HDCP problems can ensue blank or pink hued screens in particular.

Also check your HDMI CEC settings, AFAIK only HDMI port 1 on LG TVs support CEC so if it's enabled on the shield whilst connected to other ports it can cause issue too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

With LG TVs I've noticed that if the shield is connected to any port other than HDMI 1 that handshake issues and HDCP problems can ensue blank or pink hued screens in particular.

Also check your HDMI CEC settings, AFAIK only HDMI port 1 on LG TVs support CEC so if it's enabled on the shield whilst connected to other ports it can cause issue too
    Thanks, it’s in HDMI 2 so I will switch it tomorrow and see if it makes a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

I had similar issues, seems the issue was that I was using a sh*t cheap HDMI cable that I got with a sky box years ago. I got a semi decent one and all good again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Anyone know where the pro 2019 in stock, can see the tube in stock ?
    Wanted to get the pro one for my folks . Have the pro one myself and brought it back they loved it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

No stock anywhere at the moment due to lack of computer components caused by the pandemic, a few flippers gave them on eBay for silly money
    Best to set up alerts with nvidia and amazon and they will let you know when stock arrives

Yeah noticed that alright , no notify button on amazon.co.uk more the Nvidia website.

No rush on it may just keep an eye out , the tube shield is in stock but dunno if worth getting for 50 less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭zac8

Out of stock there. Have been looking myself for a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

I also have an LG 4K TV and had the exact same issue. By default, the Shield sets the resolution to 4K 59.940Hz, I switched it to 4K 60Hz and it was sorted (using a long 5m HDMI cable myself, which was my first guess at the fault).

Device Preferences > Display & Sound > Resolution

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Hallaz

Yeah noticed that alright , no notify button on amazon.co.uk more the Nvidia website.

No rush on it may just keep an eye out , the tube shield is in stock but dunno if worth getting for 50 less.

I ordered pro one on 19th March, (1 or 2 new and used ones were being drip fed onto amazon around that time). I got a confirmation order but reckon so did some other lucky bugger who actually got the 1 in stock.

I got a mail from amazon over last weekend to say they are still trying to obtain one to ship but I can cancel if I want (no chance!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Getflix back working lads??? Just got a 70% offer from them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Getflix back working lads??? Just got a 70% offer from them

Had it ever stopped working? I’ve been using it for ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Just tried signing up to it using Paypal on a 24 month sub. but it wont work. Will try again later....

They had intermittent server issues about 2-3 weeks ago for a bit, but all fine now.

Well worth it.

Yep, it has indeed thanks for letting me know as I had just turned it off and forgotten about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Managed to snag a warehouse deal thanks to Keepa over the weekend. There was only 1 available, got a Tube with a less than 1cm x 1cm scratch for £111 (€130). Delighted! If you haven't or don't use Keepa, I highly recommend it for Amazon purchases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

My Nvidia Shield remote has stopped working a few months back. Currently using my phone as an android remote. Is there any decent remotes out there without having to spend a fortune on an official one? Any help is appreciated.

My Nvidia Shield remote has stopped working a few months back. Currently using my phone as an android remote. Is there any decent remotes out there without having to spend a fortune on an official one? Any help is appreciated.

The Amazon remote works perfect on it you'll get it on Amazon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

hey havent signed up yet but those of us with nvidia (with the games controller) perhaps this is of interest?
    I dont even know if it works, i mean i dont see why not!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058073589

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

I use this. Really cheap and works perfectly. Handy for typing in stuff as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

I've been using this for over a year https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rii-Controller-Wireless-Keyboard-Windows/dp/B07JW82T3P?ref_=ast_sto_dp

It can control soundbar volume or tv too

• Advertisement
Advertisement