Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

I've been using this for over a year https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rii-Controller-Wireless-Keyboard-Windows/dp/B07JW82T3P?ref_=ast_sto_dp

It can control soundbar volume or tv too

that looks good. does it have a mouse pointer option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

chewed wrote: »
    that looks good. does it have a mouse pointer option?

It has an air mouse built in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

hey havent signed up yet but those of us with nvidia (with the games controller) perhaps this is of interest?
    I dont even know if it works, i mean i dont see why not!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058073589

The shield isn't supported. Might be a way to get it working by installing a hacked Chrome on the device.

I've been using this for over a year https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rii-Controller-Wireless-Keyboard-Windows/dp/B07JW82T3P?ref_=ast_sto_dp

I read something on Reddit where someone said this doesn't have an Esc key equivalent on the front part. I use Esc quite often on my Rii keyboard controller to get out of the player, channel, etc.

I read something on Reddit where someone said this doesn't have an Esc key equivalent on the front part. I use Esc quite often on my Rii keyboard controller to get out of the player, channel, etc.

There is a back button along with home button that brings you back to home screen. There is esc in the back keyboard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

shot in the dark here, but has anyone had any issue with the shield (with remote paired with LG tv) turning off the TV. This is when I am not using the shield. Can be using netflix or whatever on LG app and TV turns off regularly during it.

Any ideas how to unpair the shield remote to the tv just to see?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭xckjoo

shot in the dark here, but has anyone had any issue with the shield (with remote paired with LG tv) turning off the TV. This is when I am not using the shield. Can be using netflix or whatever on LG app and TV turns off regularly during it.

I'd guess it's related to your CEC and power settings on the Shield. Sounds like your Shield is set to auto power off after X mins and it sends a message to the TV to power off too.

Simplest test/fix would be to disable the auto power off on the Shield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

I know on my TV (older LG model) when you go into the inputs menu there is a "SimpLink" option, green button. This is where you can unlink the shield from the tv in terms of power control. Nothing to do with the remote itself. Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

That did it, thanks very much to you both. When I connected the shield remote to the tv, the tv remote turns on the shield and they both turn off if the shield goes to sleep. Turned off setting of ‘turn off tv if shield goes to sleep’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I’ve an issue with my LG TV in that I quite like that it powers off the TV when I power off the Shield.

But it randomly decides when I change source from Shield to say Satellite box to switch off the TV as well! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Basq wrote: »
    I’ve an issue with my LG TV in that I quite like that it powers off the TV when I power off the Shield.

But it randomly decides when I change source from Shield to say Satellite box to switch off the TV as well! :(

Having the same issue, now when I turn on satellite, the shield auto turns off and the telly with it.
    McMurphy wrote: »
    I have my settings tweaked so the TV no longer goes off when the shield sleeps which was resulting in the other half tuning into get her TV fix, the shield then going to sleep say ten minutes later and the TV being powered off during her show.

Only, tweaking the setting has changed nothing, it's still doing it.

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Having the same issue, now when I turn on satellite, the shield auto turns off and the telly with it.

Get yourself a Logitech harmony remote and disable hdmi CEC completely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Get yourself a Logitech harmony remote and disable hdmi CEC completely

I don't even watch the TV (not terrestrial TV anyways) but on a scale of 1 to 10 how user friendly would this be to my complete and utter technophobic wife?

I don't even watch the TV (not terrestrial TV anyways) but on a scale of 1 to 10 how user friendly would this be to my complete and utter technophobic wife?

Once setup it's completely wife friendly, more wife friendly than several remotes. We have 2 of them, kitchen and sitting room. We have several activities, watch Shield, watch TV, play a game, listen to music etc with completely different setup for each depending on the activity selected using the same basic buttons. It's probably the best gadget we have, so much so we bought a second for the kitchen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

So with my 2nd Shield, I now realised how much I hate that my sideloaded apps don't have an Android TV banner / logo like Play Store apps. Fortunately, I found a site that builds a custom APK that acts like a shortcut to your app so you can have pretty aesthetics to please almost anyone's OCD :)

All you need is:

- Your APK name (e.g com.google.app)
    - Your APK icon (in the APK itself)
    - Your custom banner (320x160 PNG file)

Then install the APK, set this as your favourite and remove the banner free original - done!

If you also prefer, you can change stock ones too if your not a fan of the original.

http://atvlauncher.trekgonewild.de/index.php

Custom ones - http://amiga32.com/satv/tv-banners.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

advertsfox wrote: »
    So with my 2nd Shield, I now realised how much I hate that my sideloaded apps don't have an Android TV banner / logo like Play Store apps. Fortunately, I found a site that builds a custom APK that acts like a shortcut to your app so you can have pretty aesthetics to please almost anyone's OCD :)

All you need is:

Then install the APK, set this as your favourite and remove the banner free original - done!

If you also prefer, you can change stock ones too if your not a fan of the original.

I save all my apps on Dropbox and put them on filelinked with logos. Way easier

All you need is:

Nice solution, how do you link the logos to the app on the device? Do you use the stock launcher or a ATV / Hal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Once setup it's completely wife friendly, more wife friendly than several remotes. We have 2 of them, kitchen and sitting room. We have several activities, watch Shield, watch TV, play a game, listen to music etc with completely different setup for each depending on the activity selected using the same basic buttons. It's probably the best gadget we have, so much so we bought a second for the kitchen

Which Harmony?

The Logitech Harmony 350 is £39.50

The Logitech Harmony 950 is £203.94 :eek:

Like yourself I'd need two Harmony remotes for both kitchen and living room setups both of which have multiple sources of content i.e. NVIDIA Shield for streaming and Satellite boxes for Free To Air live TV.

The biggest pain I have is that family struggle juggling (and often finding) the three remotes needed to achieve different things or switch between sources i.e. the TV remote, the Shield remote and the Satellite box remote.

Having the same single remote with the same functions mapped thus replacing 3 remotes in each room would make things a good bit smoother.

• Advertisement

Nice solution, how do you link the logos to the app on the device? Do you use the stock launcher or a ATV / Hal?

Just stock

Just stock
    But how do your hosted Dropbox images link back to the app / menu?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

54and56 wrote: »
    Which Harmony?

The Logitech Harmony 350 is £39.50

The Logitech Harmony 950 is £203.94 :eek:

Like yourself I'd need two Harmony remotes for both kitchen and living room setups both of which have multiple sources of content i.e. NVIDIA Shield for streaming and Satellite boxes for Free To Air live TV.

The biggest pain I have is that family struggle juggling (and often finding) the three remotes needed to achieve different things or switch between sources i.e. the TV remote, the Shield remote and the Satellite box remote.

Having the same single remote with the same functions mapped thus replacing 3 remotes in each room would make things a good bit smoother.

2 of these sets will do the job.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Logitech-Harmony-Companion-Remote-Control-with-Hub-App-works-with-Alexa/372525015526?epid=1778626453&hash=item56bc38a1e6:g:LisAAOSwRUhY~euH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Thanks, bought one just now to see how I go. If it can handle the living room which has an old but good 55" Panasonic Plasma, an NVIDIA Shield, FTA Satellite box, Wii games console and an Onkyo AV receiver it'll easily handle the 48" LG Smart TV, NVIDIA Shield and FTA Satellite receiver in the kitchen so I'll order a 2nd one then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

54and56 wrote: »
    Thanks, bought one just now to see how I go. If it can handle the living room which has an old but good 55" Panasonic Plasma, an NVIDIA Shield, FTA Satellite box, Wii games console and an Onkyo AV receiver it'll easily handle the 48" LG Smart TV, NVIDIA Shield and FTA Satellite receiver in the kitchen so I'll order a 2nd one then.

Sounds very similar to my setup in the living room...should work a treat. Just a bit of a fiddle setting it up the first time...after that it is grand.

Just remember the Shield also needs pairing with Bluetooth, I had difficulty adding it with the PC software so added it using the app then went back to the PC to configure the device in an activity

• Advertisement

Just got this in the post from Amazon this morning. Great remote for the price and now I can turn off my TV! It automatically picked up my Samsung.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Just got this in the post from Amazon this morning. Great remote for the price and now I can turn off my TV! It automatically picked up my Samsung.

Backlight? ( couldn't see it in the description) thanks

Yes. On both sides

Yes. On both sides

Thanks for the information, definitely get one just in case

Yeah i have it set up to turn on tv and then have volume buttons set to control soundbar and then use the other programmable buttons to act as source button and ok so i can change to different hdmis. No need to use tv remote anymore. (i only use tv for shield and PS4, I don't bother with live tv)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Did anyone get an update to the 2017 Shield recently.

Usually I get a prompt to download,but I have noticed the Icon for the cog wheel for settings has changed slightly.

As a side note,the SMB3 release is not that far way according to the Shield Forum on the Nvidia site,Its supposed to be performing good in the Beta version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

As a side note,the SMB3 release is not that far way according to the Shield Forum on the Nvidia site,Its supposed to be performing good in the Beta version.

Would this make it less painful to use as a Plex Server with harddrive? (Or easier to mount as Network attached Storage)

Usually I get a prompt to download,but I have noticed the Icon for the cog wheel for settings has changed slightly.

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Android TV Home was updated recently. Some icons were updated etc

Finally fixed Prime 4K/HDR recently as well after breaking it a couple updates ago. Even the phased update a week or two back which was supposedly the fix didn't work for me, but there was another one a few days back that seems to have done the job.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Would this make it less painful to use as a Plex Server with harddrive? (Or easier to mount as Network attached Storage)

I have 3 HDD's connected to the Shield(Plex server on shield) via a powered Hub and my laptop and Shield are both connected to a Gigaswitch unit so when I download(to the laptop) and transfer to the HDD's the speed should increase greatly.
    SMB1 sometimes shows a network error when I transfer large files and this is also supposed to be solved with SMB3.
    I also presume i can download direct into the shield at a much faster rate

I have 3 HDD's connected to the Shield(Plex server on shield) via a powered Hub and my laptop and Shield are both connected to a Gigaswitch unit so when I download(to the laptop) and transfer to the HDD's the speed should increase greatly.
    SMB1 sometimes shows a network error when I transfer large files and this is also supposed to be solved with SMB3.
    I also presume i can download direct into the shield at a much faster rate

Sorry about that icon in the corner of my response no idea what it is or how it got there.

Its happened again

So I have had a USB 3.1 Flash drive connected to my shield via an extension cable and adopted as internal storage.

This is my second USB adopted as internal storage as the first burnt out when connected directly and the extension cable was meant to prevent this happening.

This one has now gone also but it did last approx twice as long as the direct connection(2 Yrs)

I'm now going to go down the SSD route,has anyone got an SSD set up as adopted internal storage and if so how does it perform and what would anyone recommend ?

16GB 2017 Shield by the way.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

I have an SSD attached to mine as adaptive storage.

I bought a cheap enclosure at the time. It works grand for me. Initially I had problems downloading large games from the Play Store but that resolved itself after about a year. Must have been a update.

I bought a SanDisk, they are probably much cheaper now.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Lads is there anyway to get full EPG on the shield?

Or can anyone recommend a tv guide android app ?

Thanks lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I use JustWatch to coordinate my Netflix/Amazon/Disney etc. platforms. I think there's a sky option, but I'm not sure if it works as an EPG

• Advertisement

Lads is there anyway to get full EPG on the shield?

Or can anyone recommend a tv guide android app ?

Thanks lads
    Purchase IPTV, download perfect player or such like

Anyone know if the latest Sheild Pro is available to buy anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Anyone know if the latest Sheild Pro is available to buy anywhere?

Scan have them for pre order.Saying stock due 28th May.
    Postage is about €15 .

Can you set up an alert for when amazon get them back in?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Barney224

I have an opportunity to buy a Shield 2017 off my cousin, but would I better off waiting for the new pro version to be available? Is there much of a difference between the 2? I know there's some AI Upscaling feature, but anything else ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

Barney224 wrote: »
    I have an opportunity to buy a Shield 2017 off my cousin, but would I better off waiting for the new pro version to be available? Is there much of a difference between the 2? I know there's some AI Upscaling feature, but anything else ?

I think I must have the 2017 version and it's great.

What price is he looking for

The 2017 is just as good and it comes with a gaming controller, you can buy the new remote separate. There is no actual power difference and all Shields run the same software

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Barney224

kala85 wrote: »
    I think I must have the 2017 version and it's great.

What price is he looking for

He hasn't mentioned money yet! :) I'm happy to go with 2017, but just wanted to find out if there's much of a difference between it and the latest one.

He hasn't mentioned money yet! :) I'm happy to go with 2017, but just wanted to find out if there's much of a difference between it and the latest one.

None, Nvidia claim it's slightly faster but there is no real world gains. It's a die shrink of the processor chip, just means the same chip made smaller. There will be slight power saving but you'll not notice anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

None, Nvidia claim it's slightly faster but there is no real world gains. It's a die shrink of the processor chip, just means the same chip made smaller. There will be slight power saving but you'll not notice anything

The new nvidia shield has the 4k upscaling which is pretty good I find.

• Advertisement

And the 2017 does a decent job of 4k upscaling, just not this AI upscaling

Advertisement