Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭DopeTech

kala85 wrote: »
    Is it stable or does it crash

I only ever watched a few episodes of things on it but no, no crashing.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

kala85 wrote: »
    What's the difference between the new pro model and the new ordinary model.

I have a 2017 shield already but just thinking of getting another one

The 2019 has added Dolby vision, Dolby Atmos and AI upscaling and the new remote with the Netflix button. If these don't interest you the 2017 is a better buy with a gaming controller. Performance wise there is negligible difference between the 2017 and the 2019

The tube model 2019 is mostly the same, same Tegra X1 chip but with only 2GB ram and one USB port. There's also a software difference, the tube is 32 bit and cannot run a Plex server and some emulators. It's fine if you're just using it as a streaming device

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I noticed recently that my shield doesn't seem to be displaying in 4k anymore, tried tinkering with the settings both on the shield and on the TV but not making any difference.

The PS4 is grand, turn it on and you get the HDR notification in the bottom corner, has me tearing out the hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Anybody experience a sound delay on the shield 2019, eg watching Netflix and sound cuts out for split second. Have the of TV hooked up to a sound bar ? Is there a case for interference maybe , don't get it if I watch Netflix on the lg OS

OmegaGene wrote: »
    try swapping the hdmi cables

Yep. Worked a treat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Never noticed HDR notice on the shield

Never noticed HDR notice on the shield

If you’re watching 4k then it comes up on the screen

Is that not a function of the TV?

Both

Yes but the displaying of the HDR icon, is that not a function of the TV?

• Advertisement

If you’re watching 4k then it comes up on the screen

Thanks,as I've a 4K TV I tried it a while ago ,nada, definitely Disney through the TV,and the smallies PS4 scream 4K,but na shield is hiding, though TBF my IPTV goes through it and it's good but definitely nowhere near 4K

Yes but the displaying of the HDR icon, is that not a function of the TV?

Specsavers for me but 100 percent no 4K icon on my shield

Specsavers for me but 100 percent no 4K icon on my shield

Make sure it's activated in the TVs settings

McMurphy wrote: »
    Make sure it's activated in the TVs settings

Feckin sure it is but maybe reset or such as I've noticed my shield doesent boot up when my son reconnects his PS4 weekly,
    I have to take the power lead out from the shield and it boots back up again, maybe that does something, Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Hi all,

Just for clarification 4K and HDR are 2 different things.
    4K is the resolution and HDR being the colour range.

You need a 4K TV which has HDR capability and also receiving a HDR signal in order for the HDR icon to drop down in the corner of the TV,this is the case for LG and I believe Samsung also.

There are also several settings that need to line up in order for this to happen.

Source media being in HDR
    Both Samsung and LG TV's in their settings have whats called a deep color mode and this also needs to be turned on within the TV settings.

Samsung HDR TVs: Menu->Picture->Picture Options->HDMI UHD Color->On->Restart
    LG HDR TVs: Home->HDMI->Settings->Advanced->Picture->HDMI ULTRA DEEP COLOR->On->Restart
    Sony HDR TVs: Home -> Settings -> External inputs -> HDMI signal format -> HDMI [select the SHIELD input] -> Enhanced mode (TV will reboot)

If you have an AVR between Shield and TV then your receiver must also support HDMI 2.0a and HDR. Your receiver should report this capability in the product manual.

My own Shield output settings are the default recommended ones.
    I get the HDR drop down notification for Netflix,Plex,Kodi etc. when the content is HDR

Hi all,

You need a 4K TV which has HDR capability and also receiving a HDR signal in order for the HDR icon to drop down in the corner of the TV,this is the case for LG and I believe Samsung also.

There are also several settings that need to line up in order for this to happen.

Both Samsung and LG TV's in their settings have whats called a deep color mode and this also needs to be turned on within the TV settings.

LG HDR TVs: Home->HDMI->Settings->Advanced->Picture->HDMI ULTRA DEEP COLOR->On->Restart
    Sony HDR TVs: Home -> Settings -> External inputs -> HDMI signal format -> HDMI [select the SHIELD input] -> Enhanced mode (TV will reboot)

If you have an AVR between Shield and TV then your receiver must also support HDMI 2.0a and HDR. Your receiver should report this capability in the product manual.

I get the HDR drop down notification for Netflix,Plex,Kodi etc. when the content is HDR

Appreciate that I've a Samsung and will try that immediately

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Na no notification, definitely 4K on Disney etc, shield setting automatically 4K if available etc,it's good but not 4 k,

If it comes on your tv with Disney and PlayStation then it should do with the shield, might be worth checking the shield settings

ThankS I did, mandolorian is absolutely gorgeous in 4Ketc,that's the way all tv should be, definitely shield set to 60 -( 4K)

just to separate the 2 topics above i.e 4K and HDR

Is it 4K that you cannot get ?

we will go step by step

just to separate the 2 topics above i.e 4K and HDR

Is it 4K that you cannot get ?

we will go step by step

4k think I'm going to switch around HDMI cables and thanks

So no 4k playing through the shield what so ever and shield is set to recommended output ?
    Is this a case of there never has been 4k or its now not playing 4K ?
    Have you swapped out HDMI cables ?
    Have you an AVR between the shield an TV or direct ?
    There should be an info button for your tv on its remote that should show what kind of picture is being transmitted to it.

You can go into Youtube also and play a video you know is 4K and go to the options for that video in Youtube and select the "stats for Nerds" option it will show the playback info in terms of resolution etc.

• Advertisement

So no 4k playing through the shield what so ever and shield is set to recommended output ?
    There should be an info button for your tv on its remote that should show what kind of picture is being transmitted to it.

You can go into Youtube also and play a video you know is 4K and go to the options for that video in Youtube and select the "stats for Nerds" option it will show the playback info in terms of resolution etc.
    Thanks for the advice, going to try the you tube now, shield connected directly to tv

Thanks for the advice, going to try the you tube now, shield connected directly to tv,and AFAIK 4 K never played through shield,yes 4K you tube video plays fantastic,was adjusted to play automatic (1080- you tube) thanks
    Says current / optimal res-3840x2260@30

Also try something one of the native apps on the TV itself like Netflix or Youtube and again use the info button to see what the TV is playing back that would rule out a problem on the side of the TV itself

Thanks for the advice, going to try the you tube now, shield connected directly to tv,and AFAIK 4 K never played through shield,yes 4K you tube video plays fantastic,was adjusted to play automatic (1080- you tube) thanks
    Says current / optimal res-3840x2260@30

Is that through YouTube app on the Shield or the TV?

Also try something one of the native apps on the TV itself like Netflix or Youtube and again use the info button to see what the TV is playing back that would rule out a problem on the side of the TV itself

Great ideas, Netflix is out as paying for HD not UHD

Shield,tried directly from TV and it's super,was at 480

So we have established that the YouTube app within the Shield itself is playing back on your TV at 4K ?

So we have established that the YouTube app within the Shield itself is playing back on your TV at 4K ?

Yes v much so

Yes now,was set at auto and double checked it plays at the highest resolution automatically now,ie if it's 1080 it plays at that,if it's 4k it goes straight to that,thanks

• Advertisement

Ok,

So do you now still have an issue with playback of something ?.

You mentioned getting notifications of 4K playback which you wont get unless you select the info button for the TV to check yourself.

There was a mention of HDR which you wont get with Netflix unless you're on the Ultra HD plan.

Ok,

So do you now still have an issue with playback of something ?.

You mentioned getting notifications of 4K playback which you wont get unless you select the info button for the TV to check yourself.

There was a mention of HDR which you wont get with Netflix unless you're on the Ultra HD plan.

No I didn't mention notification at all,but did mention that because I don't pay for UHD on Netflix I can't check it,I'm now going to upgrade
    Thanks for your help,as you can gather I'm a bit of a luddite,stats for nerds is a new one for me,but bloody handy

No I didn't mention notification at all,but did mention that because I don't pay for UHD on Netflix I can't check it,I'm now going to upgrade

Its well worth it I think.

Are you sorted so or need anything else ?

If you wanted to get a look at HDR etc. on the Shield and use Plex you can download files from the link below,Some are fabulous to look at in 4K HDR

https://4kmedia.org/

Thanks for your help,as you can gather I'm a bit of a luddite,stats for nerds is a new one for me,but bloody handy

No problem,I've only learnt through trial and error myself.

Its well worth it I think.

Are you sorted so or need anything else ?

If you wanted to get a look at HDR etc. on the Shield and use Plex you can download files from the link below,Some are fabulous to look at in 4K HDR

https://4kmedia.org/

I don't use Plex,I really appreciate it be help and guide ,thank you.

No problem,I've only learnt through trial and error myself.

Star

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Barney224

On the topic of 4K (and slightly off topic)....If I have a 4K monitor and connect it to my laptop, would I still be able to view videos (e.g. YouTube) in 4K? Or would the laptop have to have a good enough graphics card to handle 4K?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Shield Pro is available on the Nvidia UK site at the moment of anyone's looking for one.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/shield/buy/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭zac8

Pro stock on Amazon now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭zac8

it has been there a few days, i did link it previously

It sold out since then. In fact it sold out again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jolter

looking to swop an n vidia sheild game controller for the new remote

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

jolter wrote: »
    looking to swop an n vidia sheild game controller for the new remote

Pm sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

Anyone using Plex on the Shield? I'm trying to stream stuff from a mate's account, but constantly getting buffering. I have a 500 mbps connection with Ethernet to router. I also have my settings set to Convert Automatically, so I'm not sure why it's constantly pausing. are there any other settings I should check?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SierraTango

chewed wrote: »
    Anyone using Plex on the Shield? I'm trying to stream stuff from a mate's account, but constantly getting buffering. I have a 500 mbps connection with Ethernet to router. I also have my settings set to Convert Automatically, so I'm not sure why it's constantly pausing. are there any other settings I should check?

If it's set to Convert Automatically it might be trying to transcode on your friends PC and that's slowing it down. Try play at Original Quality and see if that helps.

If it's set to Convert Automatically it might be trying to transcode on your friends PC and that's slowing it down. Try play at Original Quality and see if that helps.

I had Convert Automatically turned off and still had the same issues. My mate suggested turning it on. A few weeks back it was working ok, and I updated the media server app and buffering issues came up again, so not sure if that has anything to do with it.

• Advertisement

clear cache and restart the shield maybe, i am using plex from a nother server and not getting any freezing

Tried that as well. I just always seem to get buffering issues, even when I stream from my own server which is in the next room.

have you tried reducing the quality of the stream just to see if that helps, i know my isp is getting hammered lately and i cant stream 4k at all

I can't see where I can do that. If I choose settings when playing, the only 2 options are Convert Automatically and Play original quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭amdaley28

chewed wrote: »

Maybe the problem is your mates server & his broadband speed.
    Just because you have 500 mbps doesn't mean your mates server can supply 500 mbps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

It's dependent on his upload speed, factors on his network and the possibility of multiple people streaming.

when you have the stream playing there should be options under the convert automatically with lower quality streams, i have reduced to 1080p now and then at peak times

I can only get that option when I choose to show the old video player. But whenever I try to choose a lower quality stream, I just get the following error and it won't actually change the stream. If I keep clicking retry, eventually Plex crashes out and closes.

50019239962_af50055736.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement