Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭savemejebus

54and56 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to get the Shield to mount an internal SSD sitting in a Win 10 pc both of which are connected to the same router via ethernet cable?

The Shield sees the PC but won't connect as a guest and won't accept my normal login and password for the PC. I don't have a network username & login for the PC so I'm stumped.

I'm trying to mount an 8TB SSD which has all my Plex content as I want to use the Shield as a backup server. The PC currently acts as the main server.

Has anyone overcome this problem in the past who can share the solution with me?

Have you smb sharing turned on on the Win 10 pc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Have you smb sharing turned on on the Win 10 pc?

Thanks. I think so, I'll double check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Been annoying me for a while..

.. but anyone have an issue where clicking a YouTube video on say 'Subscriptions' or 'Trending' on Main screen will start a video you watched a few days back.

So I've to close and reopen the video from 'Play Next' / 'Trending' before it actually plays.

It's a pain in the ass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Basq wrote: »
    Been annoying me for a while..

.. but anyone have an issue where clicking a YouTube video on say 'Subscriptions' or 'Trending' on Main screen will start a video you watched a few days back.

So I've to close and reopen the video from 'Play Next' / 'Trending' before it actually plays.

It's a pain in the ass.

Yes, it drives me up the wall, happens 99% of the time.
    Becomes extra annoying when the video I want to watch disappears from the list when the list refreshes and not being able to find it again.

Another pet peeve I've had is removing items form the Play Next row only for them to keep coming back. ITV Hub is a particularly bad offender.

Yes, it drives me up the wall, happens 99% of the time.
    Becomes extra annoying when the video I want to watch disappears from the list when the list refreshes and not being able to find it again.
    Yep, indeed. It's just a simple thing..

.. how did they get it so wrong?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Did any of ye try the Smart Tube app as opposed to the official you tube app ?
    Its much better in my opinion and no ads

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Drew P. Wiener

Got the shield pro a few days back and just couldn't get my VPN (surfshark) to work with BBC iPlayer, kept returning error code 02001 (i think), tried setting up different DNS settings with them and everything before they advised i use the website from my shield (nope).

Anyways, I picked up a lifetime membership for Keepsolid Smart DNS on Stack Social, and its working like a dream.

Its $39.99 then coupon code QW78H8Z takes it down to $34, which on revolut comes in at under €30.

I understand there's a question over how long support will last for my lifetime membership as has been the case for lifetime memberships of Getflix in the past, but I thought it was worth the boot, and keepsolid has fairly good reviews from the research I did.

Hopefully someone finds this helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Did any of ye try the Smart Tube app as opposed to the official you tube app ?
    Its much better in my opinion and no ads

Yep using it and no adds so good for the kids as thats all its used for

Manual need to update when prompted and can log in via google account

Tried YT vanced but this better for phones

• Advertisement

For IPTV users, do yourself a favour and buy TiviMate.

It's €5.49 a year and that includes 3 licenses for use on multiple devices.

It's a steal and truly fantastic software.. recording and play/pause/rewind TV is glitchy enough but other than that, it's brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭DopeTech

It's a steal and truly fantastic software.. recording and play/pause/rewind TV is glitchy enough but other than that, it's brilliant!

Nice interface, no mac address support yet though afaik.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

DopeTech wrote: »
    Nice interface, no mac address support yet though afaik.
    Nope, M3U sufficient for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

+1 tried a load of different iptv clients and this is far and away the best one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

So lads have to be the first to ask the following.....anyone have GAAgo running on the Shield, and if so what is the best setup/browawer etc?? Asking as the new WatchLOI service will be on the same platform from next Friday and I would like to know how to get it running on the TV without having to get the HDMI out to connect to the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Is it easy to use or do you have to keep updating m3u files etc ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Daz_ wrote: »
    Is it easy to use or do you have to keep updating m3u files etc ?

Have you used IPTV Smarters Pro (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nst.iptvsmarterstvbox&hl=en) and if so how is TiviMate better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭taytobreath

the shield pro is available on currys.ie for 240 euro, i bought it Saturday and delivery is tomorrow.

I've just read 60 pages of here trying to familiarize myself with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Have you used IPTV Smarters Pro (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nst.iptvsmarterstvbox&hl=en) and if so how is TiviMate better?

Tivimate has a much better UI imo. I've used them all, IPTV smarters, perfect player etc, Tivimate for me hands down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭BandMember

I would completely disagree with the need to purchase any app for IPTV - nearly every supplier has their own apk and with the likes of Smarters and a load of other apps available for free in the Playstore, there is no need to buy anything.

However, each to their own....

BandMember wrote: »
    I would completely disagree with the need to purchase any app for IPTV - nearly every supplier has their own apk and with the likes of Smarters and a load of other apps available for free in the Playstore, there is no need to buy anything.

However, each to their own....

It's the price of a pint for the developer for the constant development it gets, it's constantly evolving, unlike the others

It's the price of a pint for the developer for the constant development it gets, it's constantly evolving, unlike the others
    Indeed.... having tried the free apps out there, this purchase is a no-brainer!

It's a fiver for a year for fecks sake for something you use every day.

Tivimate has a much better UI imo. I've used them all, IPTV smarters, perfect player etc, Tivimate for me hands down

Tried it last night. Like you I'd tried pretty much all the other apps (IPTV Smarters, Perfect Player, STBemu etc) and for live TV Tivimate is miles ahead IMHO. Lightening quick channel selection/display (as quick as my Freesat service), an excellent UI, good mix of user options and easy recording function but no "series record" function that I can see which is a shame.

I paid for the once off lifetime license fee as I generally like to support people who make good products.

The main criticism I'd have is it doesn't handle VOD as well as IPTV Smarters who present movies in graphic/poster style format similar to Netflix/Plex.

.. good mix of user options and easy recording function but no "series record" function that I can see which is a shame.
    There is new releases quite often with bug fixes / additional features... I see roughly 6 releases in the past 3 months and the developer keeps an eye on Reddit and adds new features based on suggestions there..

.. so it may be in the pipeline (as it has been mentioned a few times).

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Can I ask the IPTV Smarters users here a question...

In the EPG section - so I click on a channel and open it in the 'little box' on the top left.

If I then scroll on down the EPG is there anyway to open the channel I have already opened in the 'little box' into full-screen without scrolling all the way back to the channel listing on the EPG?

And if this isn't possible on IPTV Smarters, is it possible on TiviMate?

In the EPG section - so I click on a channel and open it in the 'little box' on the top left.

If I then scroll on down the EPG is there anyway to open the channel I have already opened in the 'little box' into full-screen without scrolling all the way back to the channel listing on the EPG?

I think what you're trying to do is either a setting you need to turn on or you simply double click to go straight to full screen.

Hi

Can anyone recommend me a good storage drive for the shield pro

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Lads how many days EPG are you getting with Tivimate?

Also does it allow you to record?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

Anyone here with a Gigabit Fibre connection and Shield? What speeds do you get with ethernet? I have a gigabit connection but barely get above 250mbps using Speedtest app on the Shield.

chewed wrote: »
    Anyone here with a Gigabit Fibre connection and Shield? What speeds do you get with ethernet? I have a gigabit connection but barely get above 250mbps using Speedtest app on the Shield.

What do you need more than 250 Mbit for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Same mostly,at times ,500 +, mostly below 200, today 112

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

Is that normal? I would have expected much higher speeds with a gigabit connection.

Is that normal? I would have expected much higher speeds with a gigabit connection.

Up n down TBH ( vodaphone)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

What do you need more than 250 Mbit for?

Ehm... for a connection split between multiple devices, it isn't really that trivial.

• Advertisement

Ehm... for a connection split between multiple devices, it isn't really that trivial.

To the router yes, but why would you need more than 250mbit to the Shield?

To the router yes, but why would you need more than 250mbit to the Shield?

IPTV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

IPTV

4K is only ~ 25Mb/s

PS - is this decently priced? https://www.adverts.ie/21110420

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

IPTV

For IPTV a stable 30mb connection is just as good as a 1GB one.
    For high bandwidth and multiple device usage fibre is unbeatable.
    A lot of folk tend to be looking solely at their headline speed tho, rather than what their actual usage may be.

Not knocking Fibre or your choice of it.
    But, if you have a stable 30meg connection on your device and experience issues with your IPTV, it's very, very likely to be a server side issue.

Now in a multi-user, multi device environment clearly a 30mb connection to the router isn't enough, but to the device it's more than adequate for IPTV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

IPTV

I run IPTV on a Vodafone 100mb line, usually have 60-80mb, never have any problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Virgin 500Mb connection here with a gigabit connection via Hub (in Modem Mode) > Google WiFi Mesh > TP-Link Gigabit Switch > Shield 1st Gen / 2017

Using the Netflix FAST app, my connection averages 500Mb all the time but always a bit higher on Shield. Does your router have QoS or bandwidth allocation enabled?

MFd8gcs.png

unhappys10 wrote: »
    I run IPTV on a Vodafone 100mb line, usually have 60-80mb, never have any problems.

Same generally,but we could have Disney+, Netflix , and he's IPTV on his phone also, and another phone for bloody music at times

advertsfox wrote: »
    Virgin 500Mb connection here with a gigabit connection via Hub (in Modem Mode) > Google WiFi Mesh > TP-Link Gigabit Switch > Shield 1st Gen / 2017

Using the Netflix FAST app, my connection averages 500Mb all the time but always a bit higher on Shield. Does your router have QoS or bandwidth allocation enabled?

MFd8gcs.png

Netflix fast app? Ref bandwidth bloody VF turning on / off I reckon,
    Ref fast. Com speed test, it's false compared to any other one I use on the shield, always way above the other 2 I check my speeds on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Ref fast. Com speed test, it's false compared to any other one I use on the shield, always way above the other 2 I check my speeds on
    It's the speed test app to Netflix servers, I find it the most accurate esp. since they utilize 20% of the world's bandwidth at any one time so if your slow to Netflix, you are slow to everything. Take 10% off the top in case of ISP prioritization but it matches my Google Mesh speed tests also.

https://m.apkpure.com/fast-speed-test/com.netflix.Speedtest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

Anyone have problems downloading the bbc iplayer app

that fast.com is definitly givin out way faster speed results than the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

54and56 wrote:
    I think what you're trying to do is either a setting you need to turn on or you simply double click to go straight to full screen.

54and56 wrote:

Double-clicking doesn't work. And I don't see anything in the settings. Cheers for your reply though.

advertsfox wrote: »
    It's the speed test app to Netflix servers, I find it the most accurate esp. since they utilize 20% of the world's bandwidth at any one time so if your slow to Netflix, you are slow to everything. Take 10% off the top in case of ISP prioritization but it matches my Google Mesh speed tests also.

https://m.apkpure.com/fast-speed-test/com.netflix.Speedtest

It's always minimum 20 percent faster result than the others,then again maybe they're wrong and my speeds are excellent, regularly get 330 via WiFi on my phone so maybe fast is more accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Drew P. Wiener

Hi

Can anyone recommend me a good storage drive for the shield pro

How much are you looking for? I have the 128gb drive version of this and it works flawlessly... you can pick 256gb up for an extra tenner.

https://www.idealo.co.uk/compare/6274792/samsung-fit-plus-usb-3-0-2019.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

On the IPTV discussion. Is TIVI mates recording feature reliable?

I'd love to record Super Rugby (sport that happens at 8am on a Saturday). It'd be a game-changer for IPTV if it could do it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement