Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Daz_ wrote: »
    Lads where do files and APK s end up once downloaded ? I find it hard to locate them . If I don’t run the file there and then it goes off screen and not sure where they end up

Downloads folder in the system folder. You'll need a file manager app.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

irishgeo wrote: »
    Downloads folder in the system folder. You'll need a file manager app.

It’s so awkward that you can’t go into settings and then downloads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Daz_ wrote: »
    It’s so awkward that you can’t go into settings and then downloads

Why would you go into settings? You need a file manager a app. Get xplore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

I am after playing zelda on the snes with the little lad, he loved it WAY more than i thought he would.

I was thinking what game could be next, and thought "what did i play"..... So i want to play final fantasy 7 with him. I dont have a playstation (im on xbox) and thought could the nvidia be used with an emulator to play it? if so, how?
    i have the pro version (with remote).
    I dont know if i am allowed to ask here so if not please feel free to delete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Ordered one, will I need a super duper hdmi lead now since I know it doesn't come with one, or will one of the many I have knocking around the house do?

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Ordered one, will I need a super duper hdmi lead now since I know it doesn't come with one, or will one of the many I have knocking around the house do?

Any lead will do. Have a Google of the BS around premium leads for digital signals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Question.

I have an excellent IPTV subscription, is there anyway / an easy way to set up recording shows using the shield / tv remote? I have a standard 2tb hard drive that I can connect to it. The shield is the newest version released a couple of months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Question.

I have an excellent IPTV subscription, is there anyway / an easy way to set up recording shows using the shield / tv remote? I have a standard 2tb hard drive that I can connect to it. The shield is the newest version released a couple of months ago.

There’s a thread here ref which hard drive to use etc sorry I haven’t a link but it’s definitely here and worth going back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

If you are making recordings I am pretty sure only a certain directory as read write access.

When you connect the HD it should create a folder called nvidia or something only here and below this directory will the recordings work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Used xbox gamepass x-cloud on the shield last night with the shield controller and its works flawlessly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jonski

I'm not looking forward to trawling back through this thread to see if I can find out why my pc doesn't see the Shield since either the Shields last update or the Windows last update .:(

Edit: actually scratch that , first google search fixed the problem .Transfer files over network on the Shield was turned off .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Switching off TV using Shield has gotten incredibly flakey for me since latest update! :(
    Used xbox gamepass x-cloud on the shield last night with the shield controller and its works flawlessly
    Have never heard of this so will need to investigate..

.. bought an Xbox One S for RDR2 and played it for 3-4 hours and it's been sitting there since.

I’m toying with getting rid of the Xbox but would like the option of playing games when the mood takes me - albeit rarely these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Wonder when/if the Rockstar A-list games will make it back to being available in geforce now?

I've ditched all my consoles and altho I don't game much anymore, I useta love launching into GTA V on the shield.
    I miss it, I'm even paying for geforce now, and it's less capable than when it was free.
    That said, I did have @5yrs of free service from it so it's worth paying a sub just for that :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Basq wrote: »
    Switching off TV using Shield has gotten incredibly flakey for me since latest update! :(

Have never heard of this so will need to investigate..

.. bought an Xbox One S for RDR2 and played it for 3-4 hours and it's been sitting there since.

I’m toying with getting rid of the Xbox but would like the option of playing games when the mood takes me - albeit rarely these days.

It's not officially on shield but I side loaded it and it works great, basically all you need is a gamepass ultimate sub which can be paid monthly and you get access to over 150 games and all microsoft 1st party titles even the new ones at launch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭BandMember

Ever since the latest update to YouTube, it freezes a lot within 1 second of opening the stream. However, the stream and app still work perfectly on my android tv. Anyone else having the same issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Yeah, happening to me too. The sound starts straight away, then the video a second or two later. Slightly irritating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

It's not officially on shield but I side loaded it and it works great, basically all you need is a gamepass ultimate sub which can be paid monthly and you get access to over 150 games and all microsoft 1st party titles even the new ones at launch.

Since the Rockstar games were dropped from Geforce now support I very rarely game on my shields anymore.
    Not that I did too much anyway but I do miss just launching into a little GTA V mayhem :(

May give the Xbox ultimate pass a look, I've seen some great workarounds pricewise over on the deal websites so it may be worth a spin.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    okay hopefully someone can point me in the correct direction, i need to instal an apk on the shield and havent a clue which way to go about it i have heard puffin browser is the way to go

thanks in advance for any help
    If you have a direct link to the APK (or can upload it somewhere), I recommend Downloader.

https://seo-michael.co.uk/how-to-install-downloader-on-nvidia-shield-android-tv/

Got my Shield today and having fun with it. Slight irritant that Chromecast won't work on Ethernet, works fine on WiFi (maybe it's my sh*ty eir router), haven't really gone down sideloading yet or vpn side of things, that can wait until I'm less sleep deprived.

Got my Shield today and having fun with it. Slight irritant that Chromecast won't work on Ethernet, works fine on WiFi (maybe it's my sh*ty eir router), haven't really gone down sideloading yet or vpn side of things, that can wait until I'm less sleep deprived.
    ^ Yeah, I've never managed to get mine working on Ethernet either.

• Advertisement

Ah, thanks for the heads up, I might not put too much effort into trying to get it working then. Mainly used Chromecast for all the streaming apps I'm hoping to sideload to Shield anyway.

^ I didn't spent too long investigating as don't use Chromecast much.. only time I do when casting 4OD as still no native Android app for that! :(

Worked alright but it’s beta( on mine anyway but it suffices)

Works but in beta

Mine works fine on Ethernet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

Mine works fine on Ethernet
    So does mine.

My setup is a bit strange in that I have Google WiFi plugged into my Vodafone Huawei router.. but my Ethernet is plugged into that same Huawei router but both devices are setup independently on different subnets etc.

Rough idea how to fix.. but like I said, I don't use it enough to warrant it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

So I've got Google Stadia set up on my Shield and it's working perfectly. Except for surround sound.

Anyone else set it up and manage to get the surround sound working?

My setup is a bit strange in that I have Google WiFi plugged into my Vodafone Huawei router.. but my Ethernet is plugged into that same Huawei router but both devices are setup independently on different subnets etc.

Rough idea how to fix.. but like I said, I don't use it enough to warrant it.

Bridge the Huawei and setup pppoe on the Google WiFi so the Google WiFi becomes your only router

• Advertisement

OmegaGene wrote: »
    So I used aftv downloaded to get the app I needed and it worked fine, now I’m trying to add getflix and use the browser to get the apk in the list and it downloads and next thing I have aptoide where I can see getflix on their store but can’t click on it

Does it sound like I’ve used the wrong apk or what ?

Amazing I used to be a whizz at the tech and used to be the local go to fella for pc repairs and then herself decided it was time for kids :D and now it’s all cartoons wrecking my head and I’m useless at anything like this now

Any help would be greatly appreciated

You don't need the Getflix app. Just change your DNS to the Getflix DNS servers

Mouse toggle is a useful little deelie isn't it. I'd been using the shield app touch pad to move around but handier just using the remote.

Edit: and in unrelated matters Chromecast now works, even on Ethernet. I didn't do anything I don't think so *shrugs shoulders* but good anyway.

Have vpn up and running and working well for US and UK (iPlayer apart - that's still not working yet). All the usual streaming apps working well.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Seapoint

Mouse toggle is a useful little deelie isn't it. I'd been using the shield app touch pad to move around but handier just using the remote.

Edit: and in unrelated matters Chromecast now works, even on Ethernet. I didn't do anything I don't think so *shrugs shoulders* but good anyway.

Have vpn up and running and working well for US and UK (iPlayer apart - that's still not working yet). All the usual streaming apps working well.

Just on the iPlayer -
    firstly your Proxy DNS needs to be capable of letting you watch iPlayer - I'm using getflix.com

secondly, make sure you've done

System
    Device preferences
    "OFF"

Then just install the Nvidia Preinstalled BBC iPlayer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭BobMc

Anyone using SurfShark VPN on their Shield ??

BobMc wrote: »
    Yeah, I am.. not not regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭BobMc

any good or another recommendation perhaps for VPN for shield and android tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

picked this up the other day (hurry bargain ends soon i think) and so far so good.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058029427&page=49

I installed Tivimate app on my Shield to try out a different IPTV app/layout and I must say its really nice

Bought the premium version too as it allows some nice customisation .

check it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I installed Tivimate app on my Shield to try out a different IPTV app/layout and I must say its really nice

Bought the premium version too as it allows some nice customisation .

check it out

Think I bought it after the last round of recommendations in this thread. It is excellent. My IPTV sub's EPG isn't working though, so if anyone knows how to get a third party EPG on Tivimate I'd love to know.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Think I bought it after the last round of recommendations in this thread. It is excellent. My IPTV sub's EPG isn't working though, so if anyone knows how to get a third party EPG on Tivimate I'd love to know.

I must go back and read the earlier posts..thanks

p.s) sorry i have no resolution for your question

errlloyd wrote: »

M3U4U.com allows you edit the m3u and add EPG and logos

• Advertisement

M3U4U.com allows you edit the m3u and add EPG and logos

Can you edit a M3u supplied by your provider?

If so, would that mean having to give over username and password in the M3u URL?

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

I use a ExpressVPN. Easy to use and has worked perfectly for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

I edited the M3U from my provider and loaded it into TVIRL. This integrated IPTV into the Live Channels app on the Shield. Works well enough and the interface is similar to browsing a regular TV. In fairness I dont watch live tv much but good enough for me.

nedd wrote: »
    I edited the M3U from my provider and loaded it into TVIRL. This integrated IPTV into the Live Channels app on the Shield. Works well enough and the interface is similar to browsing a regular TV. In fairness I dont watch live tv much but good enough for me.

This is great if you have only a few channels but not a great idea with thousands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

nedd wrote: »

Best iptv app (IMHO) is tivimate. It's rock solid and as close to a standard TV as you are going to get. It's 5.49 per year for the full version which gives you recording and other bits and pieces
    If you are going with tivimate make sure you get the beta, if your iptv provider has VOD, it will break your movies and TV shows down in a plex style interface.
    Have my 78 year old father using it without hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Folks I used to be able to power off the shield via one of the routine settings in Google home but has something changed now, because it doesn't show up as device that can be controlled on the routines settings any more?

Screenshot-2020-09-30-21-29-41-351-com-google-android-googlequicksearchbox.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

McMurphy wrote: »
    Folks I used to be able to power off the shield via one of the routine settings in Google home but has something changed now, because it doesn't show up as device that can be controlled on the routines settings any more?

Screenshot-2020-09-30-21-29-41-351-com-google-android-googlequicksearchbox.jpg

Still works but for me, you just need to Add Action, Enter Command and type in "switch off shield"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭6541

Hi Folks,

I am a complete newbie here, how can I play games for free on the Shield. I don't have a gamer laptop or anything that. i just have the Shield which i use for IPTV. Thanks and sorry for the technophobe question.

Thanks in Advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭SB71

Yeah thisis my primary vpn no issues at all.

6541 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I am a complete newbie here, how can I play games for free on the Shield. I don't have a gamer laptop or anything that. i just have the Shield which i use for IPTV. Thanks and sorry for the technophobe question.

Thanks in Advance.

Open the Nvidia games app there's a free to play section and also down the bottom there's a section under type: Android free

• Advertisement
Advertisement