Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

It's 100% a Kodi passthrough setting issue, I'll get you a pic now. The TV is smart enough to know what codecs it supports and downmixes to go out through optical. The apps like Netflix don't do passthrough, they query the TV for the codecs it supports. Kodi is different, it supports passthrough as well as hdmi

Got those pics, thanks Looey.

“number of channels” option. I had it set to 5.1, yours is 2.0.
    Even though it says it doesn’t apply to passthrough, I changed it to 2.0.
    Under the “passthrough” section, I had everything selected as my amp will do DTS, DTS-MA and TrueHD. You have these 3 options disabled, so I disabled them too.
    Boom! The amp kicked into life!

Can understand why the “number of channels” option might’ve confused things. Don’t know why the DTS stuff would’ve mattered.

Anyways, it’s working now!

Was half thinking about trying Plex again, but might just leave well enough alone! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Soarer wrote: »
    Got those pics, thanks Looey.

“number of channels” option. I had it set to 5.1, yours is 2.0.
    Even though it says it doesn’t apply to passthrough, I changed it to 2.0.
    Under the “passthrough” section, I had everything selected as my amp will do DTS, DTS-MA and TrueHD. You have these 3 options disabled, so I disabled them too.
    Boom! The amp kicked into life!

Can understand why the “number of channels” option might’ve confused things. Don’t know why the DTS stuff would’ve mattered.

Anyways, it’s working now!

Was half thinking about trying Plex again, but might just leave well enough alone! ;)

Glad you got it sorted

Your amp will not do DTS-MA and TrueHD when connected by optical, it doesn't have the bandwidth, optical is very limited these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Basq wrote: »
    Saw on Reddit and think it's something I can get behind..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B08FMKTZY8/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A3PZDZPOPY874V&psc=1

My Shield remote falls onto a hardwood floor and into our pieces (backing and batteries fly) probably at least once a week.

Thanks basq, ordered this at the weekend and received today, very nice - comes in a 2 pack, one black and one white. (And bizarrely, 4 X wrist straps too)

Will save my remote from the constant drops of my lil terrors!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Ugh. Downloaded recent SHIELD experience update and device is stuck on Nvidia logo. Tried factory reset and wipe and still no change. Any ideas on what else I could try?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Ugh. Downloaded recent SHIELD experience update and device is stuck on Nvidia logo. Tried factory reset and wipe and still no change. Any ideas on what else I could try?

All u had to do was press the back button on the remote. That's what I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Same here. Wasn't obvious though...

Yeah I haven't used the remote in months. I either use a rii universal remote or the lg magic remote. Tried using the game controller and still no luck. Factory reset did nothing

Nvidia should do something about that, it has to be fairly widespread FFS.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Did the update last night and had a bit of a panic afterwards. :o

For anyone else reading this who hasn't updated it yet - don't panic thinking you have bricked your shield the "updating to 8.+" and the rolling bar is just an image.

Don't do what I did and sit watching it for twenty five minutes thinking "oh shiït, I've broke it" :pl:cool:

well, got onto customer support and even though it's well outside warranty (bought in May 2017) , they are making an exception and sending me replacement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

well, got onto customer support and even though it's well outside warranty (bought in May 2017) , they are making an exception and sending me replacement

Did u need proof of purchase for them to send a replacement. Fair play to them for sending one out of warranty

• Advertisement

Did u need proof of purchase for them to send a replacement. Fair play to them for sending one out of warranty

I provided invoice from Amazon and photo of serial number on back of controller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

Benzino wrote: »
    Yeah it's a great piece of kit, but has started giving me a bit of trouble lately. Sometimes Netflix just gets stuck at the loading phase (no video, but audio is playing). Likewise something similar for Youtube, and requires a restarting the device to fix. But rock solid beyond that.
    The solution to the netflix issue, is play another episode for a second and then go back to the thing you want to watch, only figured it out today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭robbe

swampy353 wrote: »
    The solution to the netflix issue, is play another episode for a second and then go back to the thing you want to watch, only figured it out today

Happens to me too.....when you say another episode I assume you mean of the same show? Never occurred to me to do that, anytime this occurs even if I try another show it does the same thing (audio only, buffering visual generally stops at 25%). Exiting Netflix and forcing stop/clearing cache doesn't work either so would be nice to get fix that doesn't involve a restart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

robbe wrote: »
    Happens to me too.....when you say another episode I assume you mean of the same show? Never occurred to me to do that, anytime this occurs even if I try another show it does the same thing (audio only, buffering visual generally stops at 25%). Exiting Netflix and forcing stop/clearing cache doesn't work either so would be nice to get fix that doesn't involve a restart.

Same issue, I get buffering to 25% then the audio continues without picture. Only solution I have found is to restart the box. It usually happens after watching a number of episodes back to back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Hey,

When you come out of an app in the Shield it remains open in the back ground.
    You have the multi view window of the current apps that are open in the background like on an android phone, I usually close the app here and it always starts fine again when I need to go back in.Even the restart of the Shield does not kill background apps only a power removal(lead out and back in ) will do this.

You also have in the developer options a setting to kill an app as you leave it but that will apply to all apps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

Hey,

When you come out of an app in the Shield it remains open in the back ground.
    You have the multi view window of the current apps that are open in the background like on an android phone, I usually close the app here and it always starts fine again when I need to go back in.Even the restart of the Shield does not kill background apps only a power removal(lead out and back in ) will do this.

You also have in the developer options a setting to kill an app as you leave it but that will apply to all apps

When I get this problem (audio with no video in Netflix) killing the app doesn't work. Restarting works 100% of the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

folks my shield remote control looks to be stuck after i replaced some batteries, any idea how i can get it open again when i need to, i used to just use a pen but that wont work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

folks my shield remote control looks to be stuck after i replaced some batteries, any idea how i can get it open again when i need to, i used to just use a pen but that wont work.

It'll work, be a small bit brutish,,, you tube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Battery strength is now down to 3 or 4 days on my 2015 remote control.

Looks like Scan is the option nvidia give from their website, to buy the latest remote

Seems to be only UK addresses allowed now from what i can see :(

Are there other options available does anyone know?

I have a 3rd party remote from Aliexpress (was posted here a few years ago) so no real need for their own remote, but i would like to have it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭joficeduns1

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Battery strength is now down to 3 or 4 days on my 2015 remote control.

Looks like Scan is the option nvidia give from their website, to buy the latest remote

Seems to be only UK addresses allowed now from what i can see :(

Are there other options available does anyone know?

I have a 3rd party remote from Aliexpress (was posted here a few years ago) so no real need for their own remote, but i would like to have it

How old is your remote do you mind me asking? Apologies, I've no advice in replacements, haven't had mine a year yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

nedd wrote: »
    When I get this problem (audio with no video in Netflix) killing the app doesn't work. Restarting works 100% of the time.

This could be related to source switching on the TV. Or if you use a hdmi switch. Had this Problem in the past.

My shield has developed a problem here with internet access, both on WiFi and with ethernet.

Was messing around with Getflix this morning, changed DNS settings etc after Disney refused to work at all this morning.

Now, when I restart the shield, and only when I restart it, I've internet for a few seconds before it packs in.

I have restarted shield, restarted router and tried it on WiFi and ethernet with IP settings set to DHC and static but it's the same every time.

Thinking it might be a bit drastic to factory reset, but I'm seriously considering it at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

McMurphy wrote: »
    My shield has developed a problem here with internet access, both on WiFi and with ethernet.

Was messing around with Getflix this morning, changed DNS settings etc after Disney refused to work at all this morning.

Now, when I restart the shield, and only when I restart it, I've internet for a few seconds before it packs in.

I have restarted shield, restarted router and tried it on WiFi and ethernet with IP settings set to DHC and static but it's the same every time.

Thinking it might be a bit drastic to factory reset, but I'm seriously considering it at this stage.

Not the end of the world and probably good in the long run

Not the end of the world and probably good in the long run

Yeah did it, sorted the internet problem as I thought it might.

Anyone remember how to get iPlayer back now though :P?

Edit, got it by selecting a Google account o set as UK based. Getflix isn't unblocking it though.

Edit 2
    Restart of router solved Getflix issue iPlayer going grand now.

Last problem is Emby wont take username password.

Apart from that, all done.

How old is your remote do you mind me asking? Apologies, I've no advice in replacements, haven't had mine a year yet.

My remote is 4 to 5 years old.

I got onto NVIDIA chat and they could do nothing for me.

I guess my only option is to get Scan to send to AddressPal and pay the extra import cost.

Curse Brexit :P

• Advertisement

Mrs. S is watching Downton Abbey from HDD through Shield Pro using Kodi.
    She's complaing that it doesn't resume playback if she stops partway through an episode, and has to skip through again the next time she watches.
    Is there a setting I'm missing?

She's complaing that it doesn't resume playback if she stops partway through an episode, and has to skip through again the next time she watches.

Did you scan it into a library? This is the behaviour I'd expect if you didn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Where is the content coming from? If that's a local file, Kodi should resume from the moment it was last paused.

If that's some other content provider, it might not do that.

Even if it is not scanned, playback position is saved based on the unique path.

grogi wrote: »

It may not do it if the drive is being unplugged

No. Just navigate through the file structure to the file.
    grogi wrote: »
    Where is the content coming from? If that's a local file, Kodi should resume from the moment it was last paused.

If that's some other content provider, it might not do that.

Stored on a HDD plugged directly into the Shield.
    It may not do it if the drive is being unplugged

HDD isn't touched.

• Advertisement

No. Just navigate through the file structure to the file.

Stored on a HDD plugged directly into the Shield.

HDD isn't touched.

Scan them into a library, you'll get artwork, it'll be easier navigate with watch next prompts, you'll be able to search and Kodi will suggest similar shows/movies. This is the main power of Kodi

Scan them into a library, you'll get artwork, it'll be easier navigate with watch next prompts, you'll be able to search and Kodi will suggest similar shows/movies. This is the main power of Kodi

Will give that a try.

Make time tomorrow for answering "how did I fukk up my Shield so badly?" :o

Will give that a try.

Make time tomorrow for answering "how did I fukk up my Shield so badly?" :o

You can't fcuk up. It's an app. An uninstall and reinstall and it's the same as you already have.

Just a little tip. Add movies and TV shows as 2 separate library entries not all at once. The scan will identify them better if it knows what type of media it is.

Can anyone recomemnd a better alternative remote control for the first edition Shield?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Can anyone recomemnd a better alternative remote control for the first edition Shield?

The new shield remote will work with it afaik but personally I use a logitech harmony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

New Android TV design update is being rolled out, this is nice - I'd welcome it on the Shield (its taken parts of the Chromecast TV format).

New-Android-TV-Home-Tab-2021.jpg

https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/3/22263131/android-tv-software-update-ui-interface-menus-google-chromecast-refresh

but but but....if i'd wanted a fire stick i'd have gotten one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

but but but....if i'd wanted a fire stick i'd have gotten one
    That would be my worry too but if they wanted to go that route, we'd all be on the Chromecast TV model.

Just as long as it's customizable in the way Android TV is now, I'm good with some new GUI.

The new shield remote will work with it afaik but personally I use a logitech harmony.

how do you find the logitech harmony?

i have to keep changing thje batteries on my shieldremote every few weeks which isnt right as initially the batteries lasted about a year.

advertsfox wrote: »
    That would be my worry too but if they wanted to go that route, we'd all be on the Chromecast TV model.

Just as long as it's customizable in the way Android TV is now, I'm good with some new GUI.

The problem is I use Emby and don't use any of these subscribed platforms they use to suggest content, Netflix, play movies, Disney etc (other than YouTube).

• Advertisement

how do you find the logitech harmony?

i have to keep changing thje batteries on my shieldremote every few weeks which isnt right as initially the batteries lasted about a year.

Setting up takes a few minutes but after that it's fantastic. Have it over a year and still on its first battery.... not to mention how handy it is for controlling other devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

I now use https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01HDR58VI?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

It's almost family compatible!!

I now use https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01HDR58VI?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

It's almost family compatible!!

cheers, id sooner just a standard remote control dont ned a keyboard as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

I'm not sure how it works with using it solely as a remote, but the Shield app is great on your phone, easy functionality and better yet for typing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭joficeduns1

cefh17 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how it works with using it solely as a remote, but the Shield app is great on your phone, easy functionality and better yet for typing

Oh wow, I feel like a thick for not even looking for an app before. I've been complaining for almost a year that there has to be a better way to type on the Shield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

cheers, id sooner just a standard remote control dont ned a keyboard as such.

WeChip G20 Remote .It's on Amazon for £14 afaik that does the job and is similar to Shield remote.

yabadabado wrote: »
    WeChip G20 Remote .It's on Amazon for £14 afaik that does the job and is similar to Shield remote.

grand thanks :cool:

The remote i mentioned buying a few years ago is on Banggood - i use the Bluetooth version

Q5 bluetooth/2.4GHz WIFI Voice Remote Control Air Mouse With USB Receiver For Smart TV Android Box .

The Wechip probably is just as good if not better and no long wait time, but just thought i would give another option.

Pretty plastic-y and cheap but it works.

You can't fcuk up. It's an app. An uninstall and reinstall and it's the same as you already have.

Just a little tip. Add movies and TV shows as 2 separate library entries not all at once. The scan will identify them better if it knows what type of media it is.

Well, I tried my best! ;)

Tried to add shows and movies last night. Made a bags of it. Did a bit of Googling, and realised my naming convention was all wrong.
    So I spent most of today renaming everything, putting them into folders, etc.
    Uninstalled and reinstalled Kodi, scanned everything, and voila! Everything seems all pretty and intact.

Unfortunately, it still doesn't want to resume playback.
    Now, I haven't had a proper look since (herself is using the telly), but as it stands, it's a balls.

• Advertisement

Well, I tried my best! ;)

Have you tried Plex at all Soarer?

I do not use Kodi much so no help for your issue, but Plex would be a solution for sure

Having Plex Media Server (And Client) on the Shield is one of the best things about it

Advertisement