Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Comments

Open file explorer and click the address bar and add the ip of the Shield, you should be able to find the full correct path this way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Tried that and got the below

This site can’t be reached

***.***.**.** took too long to respond.Try:

ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

Got the IP address from clicking enable file sharing on shield

Turned on SMB and getting the below

Your computer appears to be correctly configured but the device Detected or resource ..**.** is not responding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

You haven't by any chance setup a static ip on either the shield or the pc? Could be why they aren't visible to each other

nope but I have dns changer lilly app installed on shield this have any impact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Any sign of a permanent fix for the IPlayer problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The iPlayer problem that you can't get iPlayer

I have 3 shields and iPlayer runs on them all. On 1 there is an issue with localisation that means I need to use FX explorer to navigate to the iPlayer package and enable it but once that's done, it works fine until it's rebooted.

The other 2 have iPlayer working perfectly normally with no workaround needed.

If you are having an issue with iPlayer not actually appearing? The workaround instructions I use are linked below.

I have the nvidia shield 2019 and iplayer does not appear in the Play Store, even the workarounds put up by the online experts don't work although they do work on my other Android box.

• Advertisement

The steps in the post I quoted work fine on my 2015 version running 9.0.2 FW.

Can't see the steps you took, can you post them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭yellowbear

I have a 2017 shield and I have to turn location off and the app shows up pre installed. But when location is on it disappears.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Any way to put the sky go app on the Shield?

Ok have 2 shields and one PC and want to be able to move files around. Also have Samsung external drive attached to Asus router

So on shield went into settings and mount drive and PC, 2nd Shield and Asus comes up. Then it says how I wish to connect as registered user or as guest

Try guess and then it says connection failed and if registered asked for details

How can I connect as guest and be able to move files around

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bozharry1

Hi has anyone got all 4 working one shield tv?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I haven't but it casts from the phone to the Nvidia pretty good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Glebee

Used to work perfect, just tried it now and there seems to be issues. Have not used it in a while but it wont let me sign in. Have reinstalled the app but getting the same sign in error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It's ridiculous that apps like Now TV and All 4 are available on the firestick but not on the Shield even though they're both android. Do these apps have some kind of exclusivity deals or something?

Not having Now TV on the Shield is the only downside for me on the system. Have to switch to Firestick for Now TV and the difference between system is massive for me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

My old 2017 Shield remote gave up the ghost a few months ago.. and was eating through CR2032 batteries at some rate.

A well reviewed knock-off from Amazon was dire so was time to splurge on a new official one.

Stock of them has been patchy in past but Paradigit.ie have a new remote for €42 delivered. Pricey enough but really can't beat the official remote.

https://www.paradigit.ie/NVIDIA-SHIELD-TV-Remote/21072415/product

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Thanks. Mine gave up the ghost a while ago as well and I'm going slightly mad using just the mobile app. Time to splash the cash on a proper replacement.

No bother. Nothing compares with the original to be honest. Was shipped less than an hour after order too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

Mine is dead also, I have been using a Fire TV remote and it works well, voice doesn't work though.

I will have to order one of these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

How u usin fire tv remote? Didnt think they were compatible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Got a replacement for e19 on Amazon months ago works perfectly

It works fine, only thing that doesn't is voice, I don't need voice but feel like a loser without it :-(

Will do -sourced it on Amazon

We chip G20 for nvidia shield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

Anyone using the Netflix app on their Shield? I rarely watch it, but my wife watches a good bit. Last night I noticed quite a bit of stuttering (very minor, but noticeable). If there was a panning shot, it was more apparent. I never noticed this before on Netflix, so just wondering if there's a setting on the Shield I need to change? I've cleared the cache on the Netflix app and rebooted the Shield, but it's still there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Probably depends on the content you're watching. The Shield, all things being equal, outputs at 60Hz, and if it's the usual Netflix stuff, it's mostly 24fps etc.

There is a match frame rate toggle option, which you can actually assign to the quick options, but to be honest, it's extremely flaky, although TBH with regard to the streaming apps, Netflix is usually the more compatible with said toggle. Likes of Disney and Prime usually kick you back out to the main menu when you toggle it. It's always been a bit beta, and the constant streaming app updates tend to break it, which is probably why I find myself using the TV apps for episodes, especially Disney. It's a shame because the Shield handles frame rate switching fine, as evidenced by Plex and Kodi's frame rate switching, but this toggle option for the streaming apps leaves a lot to be desired.

Of course, you could set the Shield to output at 24Hz only but it's a pig to use on the dashboard/YouTube etc so not very practical. That's assuming it's not something on your TV end not handling motion well, but the way you describe minor stutter on panning shots suggests a poor frame rate pulldown with the Shield output.

Some info here

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/support/shield-tv/match-frame-rate/

Something I thought would never happen. I'm a Shield user since 2015, used to be fairly active on this thread waxing lyrical about how great they are! And they are, I still love mine, all 3 of them in fact are still giving excellent service.

But?

I have "retired" one. I picked up a Philips Ambilight android TV this week and my 2 most used apps, SIPTV & Kodi are running hassle free out in the Mancave and having the shield running too for no gain? Is a waste of electricity. For the 1st time since I've bought it, 1 of my shields is lying idle 😳

That said? Philips will probably stop supporting android TV or break one of the codecs within weeks of me deciding that I can cope without Nvidia 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

lol, same here. Gathering dust. For what I need, Firesticks are unbeatable.

Don't know lads - I have a LG OLED 65" TV with Netflix, Emby, RTE, YouTube, Amazon Prime etc.

But prefer the responsiveness of Shield everytime.

That's running LGs webOS isn't it? I have it on my 55" OLED and it's why I wouldn't be in a rush to swap out my shield in there. WebOS is generally slow I find particularly in app changes.

The Philips uses a mediatek SoC and it's nowhere near as powerful as the Tegra in terms of pure HP but, it does a great job of running my Kodi and all the players.

There is still plenty of life in the shield, even my 2015 one yet 😉 but sure aren't I being green and saving a quid or 3 on energy usage too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭xlogo

The new Sony TV's run on Google TV.

Following on from my retiring my ManCave shield. I will probably list it for sale over on Adverts.

It's a 2015 model with the SD card slot. If anyone here is interested in buying drop me a PM.

It has a fairly new and lightly used power supply that Nvidia replaced for me last year. Would be Shield, HDMI and power supply only. The gamepad for it isn't working (but I'll supply that too incase the buyer needs one for parts) at say €60 delivered?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭dougm1970

is that 60 for the shield ?

Yes, 2015 model but working perfectly and retired reluctantly.

I'm happy to include the gamepad with it, but it's not working. The Shield itself is fine but the gamepad won't hold a connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭fawlty towers

Can you please recommend a controller for the shield. Cannot see the original at a reasonable price

Just listed one of my shields over on Adverts if anyone is interested.

May the new owner enjoy it as much as I have 😁

Post edited by banie01 on

Folks, I have the Nvidia Shield Pro running the latest 9.1 firmware version (which I believe is Anrdoid TV 12). There's no RTÉ Player available in the Google Play store and I'm not comfortable running an APK from those sketchy apk sites. However I'm told it is actually avaiable for Android TV. The Shield is the only piece of tech based on Android we not sure what is happening. I have a GSuite email address as opposed to a Gmail/Google account so wondering if that might be causing an issue? What's unusual is everything else is available - TG4, Virgin Media Player, YouTube, Tivimate, VLC Media Player etc.

Just checked mine, RTE Player is there for me. Strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭ooter

Looking for a bit of help/advice if possible please, for some reason since yesterday my shield is stuck on October 17th 2022, I have to manually set it to the current date for any apps to open but if I power the shield off it reverts back to the old date when I switch it back on.

Would anyone know how I rectify this, had a look on Google and YouTube but no joy?

Would a factory reset solve the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭pelemcg

Hi, I bought the Shield Pro 2019 last year. All fine until last week when I got a HDCP error using the Netflix app. I've been all around the web for a solution and onto Nvidia who referred me to Netflix who referred me back to Nvidia. No joy. From other sites, it can be a hardware or HDMI cable issue. I've tried all the HDMI cables which worked on the TV and the projector so it's not the cables. Nvidia seem determined to make it as hard as they can to invoke the warranty. Has anyone else encountered or solved this issue? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Picked this up in argos for 3.50. Holds the shield and the ext ssd that i use for plex cache nicely up and out of the way

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9279856/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome%2Bentertainment%2Band%2Bsat%2Bnav%7C14419512/Trail/searchtext%3ECLEARANCE.htm

My fear would be overheating stuck to the back of the telly..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

may or may not be relevent but I went through this rodeo with NVidia support for a 2017 shield, and they eventually replaced it. There should be logging available, or some kind of indication somewhere in the system menu which version of HDCP is supported, they agreed a replacement when I sent them that (or they were able to access the logs). Mine was well out of warranty as well, so I was pretty happy with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Have had it set up for 6+ months (only saw the caddy back in stock today) and have had zero issue so far (touch wood)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I stuck the shield to the wall behind the TV with Command Strips. The shield, the hard drive, the power bar, the mixer (I use for a karaoke set up). They're all command stripped to the wall...

• Advertisement
Advertisement