Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

banie01 wrote: »
    Paid for Retrox today.
    Great Emulation Manager and much easier to get to grips with than RetroArch.
    Great to get some proper classics up and running.
    Thanks to whomever recommended earlier in the thread.

I'd like to implement classic game playing on the Shield for myself (the odd time) but mostly for my two teenagers who have never experienced the "old" games.

If someone could point me (via PM) to a library of old Game ROMs I could download and store on my NAS for use with Retrox that would be much appreciated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Has anyone been able to mount a SMB share at a system level so that all apps can read it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

banie01 wrote: »
    Paid for Retrox today.
    Great Emulation Manager and much easier to get to grips with than RetroArch.
    Great to get some proper classics up and running.
    Thanks to whomever recommended earlier in the thread.
    Any lag when using retrox. Looks like a great app to get

• Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Any lag when using retrox. Looks like a great app to get

Nothing I've encountered thats out of the ordinary for an emulator as yet.
    That said I've not really tried Mame or NeoGeo mode out in a really hard way as yet.
    I have seen issues reported with custom keymaps adding lag but I'll wait until I play a few hours of metal slug or a beat em up before I give an opinion on that myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭chewed

I've had the Shield a week now and love it. Very sturdy piece of kit.

The only thing I don't like is the remote control.....it's too feckin small! I've lost it twice already and the mrs is not too happy to have another remote added to the collection.

Other than that I'm not complaining. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

chewed wrote: »

The only thing I don't like is the remote control.....it's too feckin small! I've lost it twice already and the mrs is not too happy to have another remote added to the collection.

Don't forget there are multiple ways to control the device.From the remote,the gamepad controller and a couple of Apps for phones and tablets (Android TV remote for ios and Android systems).

does perfect player run iptv well on these boxes or is there a better app

does perfect player run iptv well on these boxes or is there a better app

It runs fine,there are many similar IPTV apks that run similarly or better.Such as GSE IPTV,Matrix TV Browser(for certain IPTV services) and many more.

bazzz wrote: »
    It runs fine,there are many similar IPTV apks that run similarly or better.Such as GSE IPTV,Matrix TV Browser(for certain IPTV services) and many more.

i want one that u can rearrange some channels to my liking

i want one that u can rearrange some channels to my liking

Most of them allow you to make a Favourites list.That way you can have custom channel lists to suit your needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I need to get back into using mine. Set it up initially, but ran into issues with IPTV (losing channels), retrobox mapping the controller until my trial sub was nearly out and another app not working, need to find a replacement app that works on another android box but not here, will keep searching :)

Still very happy I have it and am sure once its all set up it’ll replace my older box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Get yourself a Logitech harmony remote and then have one remote for everything and be able to send commands to it from other devices like a Google Home or Amazon Alexa. Be sure of you're buying one to get a deal with a hub

Taltos wrote: »
    I need to get back into using mine. Set it up initially, but ran into issues with IPTV (losing channels), retrobox mapping the controller until my trial sub was nearly out and another app not working, need to find a replacement app that works on another android box but not here, will keep searching :)

Still very happy I have it and am sure once its all set up it’ll replace my older box.

How do you go about setting up IPTV? Do you need an m3u from the current provider? I'm with Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

In setting up the plex media server, do I need to format an existing hard drive to use as storage if I don't want to use internal storage?

If I can get away with it at all, I'd prefer not to. I have a 2tb drive filled with content, and it'd be a serious pain in the ass to back up (mainly cos my pc doesn't even have that much storage available!)

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Taltos wrote: »

How do you go about setting up IPTV? Do you need an m3u from the current provider? I'm with Eir.

Not a topic that can be discussed on Boards in detail. You can ask people who mentioned it via PM or just search on google or reddit (you should get plenty of options). I’m no expert but u can PM me for a few pointers

yoshimitsu wrote:
    Not a topic that can be discussed on Boards in detail. You can ask people who mentioned it via PM or just search on google or reddit (you should get plenty of options). I’m no expert but u can PM me for a few pointers

Ok. I had assumed it was all legit. Especially as perfect player was available from Google play store. If anyone wants to pm me please do! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭nedd

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    In setting up the plex media server, do I need to format an existing hard drive to use as storage if I don't want to use internal storage?

If I can get away with it at all, I'd prefer not to. I have a 2tb drive filled with content, and it'd be a serious pain in the ass to back up (mainly cos my pc doesn't even have that much storage available!)

You can plug the 2tb drive in without formatting to use with plex. Only need to format it if you want to use as internal storage. And even then they recommend an SSD or USB key for internal memory as it need to be “fast”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

I use Express VPN with it. No issues.

I use windscribe and its grand. Not used ExpressVPN.

• Advertisement

Ok. I had assumed it was all legit. Especially as perfect player was available from Google play store. If anyone wants to pm me please do! :-)

There are plenty of legitimate uses for IPTV players, but as so many people are using them to pirate copyrighted content most will err on the side of caution when discussing them.
    Sharing TVheadend/E2 sat tuners around your home is just 1 example of legitimate use.
    Using a 3rd party sub for premium channels such as Sky would be an illegitimate ise.

This is an extract from a TVaddon's email I got this morning:

"Recommended VPN Services

IPVanish: This very popular VPN service markets itself to Kodi users and offers native apps for both Android TV and Amazon Fire TV. Definitely worth considering! Prices start at $5.20 per month.

Private Internet Access: They are one of the most respected names in the privacy world, the only downside is that they do not yet offer native apps for Android TV and Amazon Fire TV. Prices start at $2.91 per month.

NordVPN: Another great option, NordVPN is a global leader in the VPN industry. You'll often see their commercials on TV, however they do not offer native Android TV and Amazon Fire TV apps. Prices start at $3.29 per month.

ExpressVPN: They're just released their native apps for Android TV and Amazon Fire TV, making them good contenders in the race to provide VPN services to people looking to cut the cord. Prices start at $8.32 per month."

Looks like IPVanish and ExpressVPN are the ones with apps for Android TV.

This is an extract from a TVaddon's email I got this morning:

"Recommended VPN Services

IPVanish: This very popular VPN service markets itself to Kodi users and offers native apps for both Android TV and Amazon Fire TV. Definitely worth considering! Prices start at $5.20 per month.

Private Internet Access: They are one of the most respected names in the privacy world, the only downside is that they do not yet offer native apps for Android TV and Amazon Fire TV. Prices start at $2.91 per month.

NordVPN: Another great option, NordVPN is a global leader in the VPN industry. You'll often see their commercials on TV, however they do not offer native Android TV and Amazon Fire TV apps. Prices start at $3.29 per month.

ExpressVPN: They're just released their native apps for Android TV and Amazon Fire TV, making them good contenders in the race to provide VPN services to people looking to cut the cord. Prices start at $8.32 per month."

Looks like IPVanish and ExpressVPN are the ones with apps for Android TV.

Most of those can run on the Shield and some of them are keeping logs(which makes it pointless)...I've used PiA for a few years now and the app works fine on the Shield.You'll need a mouse/air mouse.They don't keep logs and have an abundance of global servers ,plus they are cheap enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭BandMember

bazzz wrote: »
    Most of those can run on the Shield and some of them are keeping logs(which makes it pointless)...I've used PiA for a few years now and the app works fine on the Shield.You'll need a mouse/air mouse.They don't keep logs and have an abundance of global servers ,plus they are cheap enough.

I've used PIA on my Minix box before and it worked great. However, it does slow down your speeds, so you'd probably need a fast connection for it...

BandMember wrote: »
    I've used PIA on my Minix box before and it worked great. However, it does slow down your speeds, so you'd probably need a fast connection for it...

I have very poor internet speeds 12mb down max,with PiA configured I'm only down by about 2mb max.HD streams still work no problem.No matter what VPN you are using you'll see varying amounts of speed drops,due to server bouncing.

Hi all,

I've the latest (17.6) version of Kodi installed but the Shield game controller doesn't work with it. It seems to work intermittently but most of the time it just seems to drive the menus berserk.

Anyone else experienced this? It seems to be limited to Kodi, the game controller works perfectly with all other apps.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

I use Express VPN with it. No issues.

Hard to set the express VPN up?slow down things?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Hi all,

I've the latest (17.6) version of Kodi installed but the Shield game controller doesn't work with it. It seems to work intermittently but most of the time it just seems to drive the menus berserk.

Anyone else experienced this? It seems to be limited to Kodi, the game controller works perfectly with all other apps.

Cheers.
    My game controller works bang on,maybe reinstall Kodi?

doylefe wrote: »
    Has anyone been able to mount a SMB share at a system level so that all apps can read it?

Have you tried adding the share at Settings>Storage ?

• Advertisement

My game controller works bang on,maybe reinstall Kodi?

Looks like a known bug in some controllers - https://www.reddit.com/r/ShieldAndroidTV/comments/7ja7rg/shield_controller_driving_me_nuts/

for now I'll just try to remember to use the remote rather than the controller when using Kodi and hope it gets addressed in a future firmware update for the controller.

Advertisement