Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RX 570 4GB, keep or sell to miners for profit ?.

Options
  • 27-12-2017 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I had a 4GB Sapphire RX 570 (single fan ITX) on pre order from Amazon since August for £160, all through September and October it kept saying "shipping soon" so given the mining craze I just forgot about it, so I was delighted when it actually turned up on my door the last post before Christmas :).

Ive already installed it in my rig, coming from an R9 270 2GB I'm seeing huge gains, sometimes twice what I was getting originally, though my FX6300 running at stock is probably holding it back.

Most enthusiasts Ive spoke to have told me I should sell it for a profit and buy a better card, the prices for these cards 6 months ago was insane but now they seem have have normalized a bit. Ive already sold my old card so don't have a spare to tide me over, I was considering maybe doing some mining myself while these cards are still good at it, what would you do ?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

J0hnick wrote: »
    Hi,

I had a 4GB Sapphire RX 570 (single fan ITX) on pre order from Amazon since August for £160, all through September and October it kept saying "shipping soon" so given the mining craze I just forgot about it, so I was delighted when it actually turned up on my door the last post before Christmas :).

Ive already installed it in my rig, coming from an R9 270 2GB I'm seeing huge gains, sometimes twice what I was getting originally, though my FX6300 running at stock is probably holding it back.

Most enthusiasts Ive spoke to have told me I should sell it for a profit and buy a better card, the prices for these cards 6 months ago was insane but now they seem have have normalized a bit. Ive already sold my old card so don't have a spare to tide me over, I was considering maybe doing some mining myself while these cards are still good at it, what would you do ?.

What would I do?. I'd enjoy gaming on my new card. To sell it now it'd probably just wipe its face, maybe €20 profit. Is it worth the hassle?.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Joshua J wrote: »
    What would I do?. I'd enjoy gaming on my new card. To sell it now it'd probably just wipe its face, maybe €20 profit. Is it worth the hassle?.

This; even if you sold the card for €300 on eBay you can't find a cheap 1070/1080 to replace it (as happened early in the boom).

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    This; even if you sold the card for €300 on eBay you can't find a cheap 1070/1080 to replace it (as happened early in the boom).

True, I could get a 6GB 1060 with change to spare but I play at 1080P so not gonna notice a huge difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

The GTX1060 is a good bit faster than the RX570 though.

I personally would, given the upgrade will cost you nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I personally would, given the upgrade will cost you nothing.

Overclocked 570 can keep pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

Really ?

The video is the 3GB model but its only 5% slower then the 6GB model, and the 3GB 1060 trades blows with the 570 depending on the game, apples and oranges really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The GTX1060 6GB can be up to 15% faster than the 3GB in some games and in one or two, literally 100% due to the limitations of 3GB Vram. The vram is important - especially if you plan keeping the card for a few years.

The question was, really, if it's worth swapping an RX570 for a better card....in my opinion the GTX1060 6GB is hands down the better overall card and if you can get a slightly faster card with extra vram for free, I would say it's worth it.

The next option up is the GTX1070, but then you'd have to contribute a good chunk of your own cash. And that would be pretty pointless with an FX-6300 (or any FX cpu).

The other thing is that the FX-6300 is a poor processor in modern games, it'll be pretty OK in those that are not very CPU dependent but anything that makes demands on the CPU it falls flat, and in many others you'll get bad spikes in performance that you wouldn't get with Ryzen/Intel.

Problem there is that you'd be looking at new board, CPU and DDR4 ram so it's an expensive outlay. Unless you re-use your ram, get a new H81M board and a 2nd hand 4th gen i5 for €150 for both (or a 4th gen i7 for 230-250 all in). Probably get €100 of that back for the FX + board.

Advertisement