Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nightclubs - Why?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Fieldog wrote: »
    Go to Berghain in Berlin OP and come back to me... :)
    If you don't like the tunes it's an utterly ghastly place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its no co-incidence at all that as people grow up, get more disposable income, more agency, and tend to become more confident about what they do and do not like that they become far less likely to go to nightclubs. Its not age, its experience.

Pass an inspection at the door, pay a cover charge, join a scrum at the bar for the privilege of spending more money and then be unable to speak to your friends? I think not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

Yeah he’ll moan when he gets refused entry and wasted money on a flight and accommodation to Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

I could only imagine the length of the whinge posted if that happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

OP, you sound like you're at least 20 years too young to be a grumpy old man... Is there such a thing as a grumpy young man :confused:

Anseo! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Gone off nightclubs myself or at least the usual types we have in Ireland.
    Think what mainly put me off was the crowds,lack of seating and the fact that most lack quite areas,So conversation cant be done without screaming back and forth.
    Think they need to up there game.
    Doesn't help that i am getting older either i suppose:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Was in one last week for the first time in years, no slow dance at the end of the night anymore.

It used to be a great opportunity to get the shift

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Was in one last week for the first time in years, no slow dance at the end of the night anymore.

It used to be a great opportunity to get the shift

That wasn't a slow dance, that was the national anthem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

I love how you didn't say 'go in to Berghain' as most people don't even reach that stage lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dick Rimmington

besides the fact that you pay a cover charge only to be let inside so you can pay for (overpriced) drinks, the music is usually absolute crap too! to make the experience worse then theres this whole 'see and be seen' feel to it so that you have to dress up to even get passed the doormen.
    i would LOVE to out dancing but i want to do it comfortably, in runners. and i want to do it without having to worry about the fact that i actually cant dance at all.
    can somebody please open a club where jeans and runners and arms flailing all over the place are welcomed, heck, even encouraged? pretty please?

I'm a similar demographic to you OP: College student, early 20's etc. I also don't like nightclubs at all and find them a waste of time.

I also work in one though (a certain Dublin one which rhymes with toppers). This allows me to experience all the **** that goes on there while being sober and getting paid for it, which I otherwise wouldn't get to see as I don't go to these places. I'm evidently the driest of dry ***** according to some people around here.

There's literally nothing to be gained from clubs in Ireland tbh. They're exactly as you describe, and the vast majority of people there are riddled with poor social awareness and confidence issues imo. It's quite a radical statement to make, but it's very easy to spot these things when you encounter several hundred people a night, every night.

I'd think differently of places abroad though. Clubs in Berlin and Germany are very different and much better than in Ireland. For one, very few places in Dublin play any sort of decent music, aside from Hangar and District8 imo. I like working in nightclubs though and time literally flies when I'm there and it's good money for a student job.

So thanks to all the idiots who bother coming to these places, cause otherwise I wouldn't get to have a job which I pays well and I enjoy, I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

can somebody please open a club where jeans and runners and arms flailing all over the place are welcomed, heck, even encouraged? pretty please?

aLtuOx5.jpg

Literally all of the places on Harcourt St. are like this (except Everleigh and Krystle I think, but they're full of snobby southsiders anyway).

Oh yes children minding because every woman has to have children right? Nice generalisation there buddy.

On topic, I hate night clubs because it feels like a prison with security guards everywhere watching your every move. You can literally compare it to prisoners being let out in the yard.

Oh well obviously, I wasn't making the blindingly obvious point that people have expenses and worries after University such as mortgages and childminding, I was making your bizarre and obscure point that having a child is compulsory...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Never really liked the music at them but I did enjoy going dancing when I first started going out. I remember my brother and his friend getting me into one when I was 16/17. Thought it was great :)

Havent been to one for ages. I always preferred going to smaller local ones where you'd know a few people rather than the bigger ones in town but even at that it got old quick enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Neames

There's a club where you'd like to go

You could meet someone who really loves you

So then you you go and you stand on your own

And you leave on your own

And you go home and you cry and you want to die.

Wanky table service clubs are the absolute worst though. Knobs paradise.

Once again it's stereotyping based on Irish/UK based clubs. I'm not talking about the posh clubs that most people can't get into and frankly most normal people have little real interest in. I have been to those kinds of clubs, but they're not much fun. Those places are for people who want to be seen. That pretentious crowd.

There are plenty of clubs though that are in-between. Where there are two or more bars and no long queues waiting to be served because there are waiters to bring drinks to your table. Well trained bouncers to control the crowd, and prevent trouble. Numbers allowed in are controlled to prevent overcrowding. Little to no hassle because everyone knows there are definite consequences.

But then I prefer clubs where the women dress up, and the men do the same. It's not "posh" attitude. It's simply about seeking quality. Good music, great environments, casual but somewhat elegant crowd, and thankfully very few problems.

Some people want the clubs wedged with people. Been there done that. Some people want the clubs with drugs being sold corridors, and people shooting up in the toilets. Grand. Or people want to 'freedom' of fights erupting in the club or outside. Good for you if you do. I don't. I've outgrown all that rubbish. I far prefer something with a bit of class, and some real money behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dick Rimmington

aLtuOx5.jpg

I obviously havnt explained myself very well!:rolleyes: :pac:

I wouldn't mind a nightclub that played a bit of this :) ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Samuri Suicide

I haven't bothered reading most of the "quote the whole thread" replies...

OP you're young, go to a nightclub and enjoy or else don't. Majority of boards members here are fretting over the colour of their next PCP car and what their neighbours think, you have time to enjoy youth...

• Advertisement

Does anyone remember this at their school disco? Can't recall ever hearing it in a nightclub :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

When I was in college nothing ruined a night quite like somebody suggesting a club. Smelly, sweaty hellholes full of bellends who don't have a clue how to handle their alcohol intake.

As you get older, you learn to appreciate their value though: you can avoid all the assholes by going to a decent late bar instead.

Edit: Well maybe not "all" the assholes... but many of them... and also avoid Supermacs after midnight

Edit Edit: on second thought: always avoid Supermacs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Neames wrote: »
    There's a club where you'd like to go

You could meet someone who really loves you

So then you you go and you stand on your own

And you leave on your own

And you go home and you want to die.

My God I feel like crying.

One thing I've noticed over the years is that the rougher a place is, the easier the women are. You want to avoid those posh pretentious clubs where the women won't even look at you. You've a much better chance of scoring in a club where fellas are been thrown out every 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

One thing I've noticed over the years is that the rougher a place is, the easier the women are. You want to avoid those posh pretentious clubs where the women won't even look at you. You've a much better chance of scoring in a club where fellas are been thrown out every 5 minutes.

Very true.

When you do score (Usually with a girl with a few tattoos/kids who also spends 90% of her time in her Pyjamas), make sure not to wear any protection if you do get 'lucky'.

Congratulations! You are now eligible for a council house and if you play your cards right you will never have to work again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Nightclubs are an abomination and I shall be banning them once elected

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭21Savage

The music in nightclubs is ****e, Arctic Monkeys, The Killers and the likes in 'clubs' in Ireland. Arctic monkeys are decent but not the music for a club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

21Savage wrote: »
    The music in nightclubs is ****e, Arctic Monkeys, The Killers and the likes in 'clubs' in Ireland. Arctic monkeys are decent but not the music for a club.
    What music would you want?

DJ Rankin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭mad m

Nightclubs in my day you got the aul ticket for some grub if that’s what you’d call it. Then once finished the slop which most ended up on your shirt or shoes it was then into terminator mode “ Sarah Conor” slow sets.

pjohnson wrote: »

DJ Rankin?

Better than the aforementioned artists anyway.

I actually went into a 'trendy' nightclub/bar in town the other week and they were playing Springsteen's 'Born to Run':D:D:D Ireland is so lame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Why then, are clubs packed every single weekend?

Are they? Not in the town where I live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Maybe I'm getting old, but I prefer to head out for a nice meal with friends, then go to the pub around midnight and sit and chat without having my ears blown off until we head home around 5 or 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,710 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Why then, are clubs packed every single weekend?

So unintelligent people can get laid without having to actually converse with someone.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

So unintelligent people can get laid without having to actually converse with someone.

Hahahaahahahaha just neckbeard things

pjohnson wrote: »

Banging European progressive techno trance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Nightclubs in this country are shyte because:

Stupid licensing hours, not worth the admission charge, would go to a late bar instead.
    They attract insufferable people who can't handle their liquor.
    Crap music and acoustics.
    Usually decked out in a cheap and nasty fashion, by and large not nice places.
    Not much seating, no chill-out areas, or areas with different genres. Just pack em in and get them pissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Omackeral wrote: »
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what ‘it’ was, and now what I’m with isn’t it. And what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary to me.

And it’ll happen to YOU!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,710 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

21Savage wrote: »
    Hahahaahahahaha just neckbeard things

Haven't heard them called that before, in fairness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Anxiety must be up there with gluten intolerance as one of the pandemics of the post 2010 world...

Easily known you've never actually suffered from severe anxiety, good job! :rolleyes:

As i'm in my mid 30's now, I have zero interest in clubs anymore. They're exactly as people are saying above, cattle marts full of drunken fools. And unless you're in Dublin city, you have very little choice (Limerick: D'Icon (hell no) or whatever Docks is called these days, also no).

But it's not you OP, it's just not for you. I can't understand people that blow hundreds every month on this carry on, but god forbid you spend 50 squid on a plant...

The only downside is, that there is no where else to go at that hour. Like someone else mentioned above, I prefer house parties anyway. And ni'm getting old, so there's that. Oh, probably should mention I don't drink much these days. Alcohol is poison.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Haven't been in one for a while, last one was on Harcourt Street.

However I got the early bus to the airport the other week. Bus goes to a few stops before the airport and left at chucking out time for the local clubs.

Not the best advert for the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

The only downside is, that there is no where else to go at that hour.

Home to their beds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

jester77 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm getting old, but I prefer to head out for a nice meal with friends, then go to the pub around midnight and sit and chat without having my ears blown off until we head home around 5 or 6.

Which pubs are open til 5 or 6am?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Omackeral wrote: »
    Which pubs are open til 5 or 6am?

This one :D

And this one :eek:

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think men go to clubs to meet women, or its a place to go after the pubs close .I,m not qualified to say is there any clubs where people go because the music is good.I dont know how you can talk to anyone when the music is so loud, but i,d say alot of the people there would be
    half drunk anyway.And the average male might be happy to go to
    some venue where theres no need to talk to anyone.
    They must be doing something right otherwise they would cease to be in business .You can go to pubs or restaurants if loud music is not your thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Was never a massive fan but had some great nights in them too. In my late 30s, I have no interest but if I was 21 or so, I’d definitely be on it.

Why is it that no matter what is posted on here about Ireland, Denmark, Germany, Holland, Asia or somewhere else always does it better and more sophisticated than us?

Also find it funny that people say clubs are full of drunk fools. Most of the people in clubs are drunk fools, I’ve been that drunk fool and I’d wager a good number of posters in here have too.

Nightclubs are for the young. Sadly, I’m not young anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Why is it that no matter what is posted on here about Ireland, Denmark, Germany, Holland, Asia or somewhere else always does it better and more sophisticated than us?
    Because Nanny Ireland likes to wrap us in cotton wool, and make sure that we're home early safe and sound. No smoking allowed of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Because Nanny Ireland likes to wrap us in cotton wool, and make sure that we're home early safe and sound. No smoking allowed of course.

Who is stopping you smoking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Yeah I remember being in clubs as a pup dancing away only to have my elbow burnt off some cvnts smoke. More than once. No thanks.

pablo128 wrote: »
    Yeah I remember being in clubs as a pup dancing away only to have my elbow burnt off some cvnts smoke. More than once. No thanks.

Or having to claw your way through a cloud of smoke to reach the bar. And then the smell of smoke off your clothes afterwards.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Was never a massive fan but had some great nights in them too. In my late 30s, I have no interest but if I was 21 or so, I’d definitely be on it.

Also find it funny that people say clubs are full of drunk fools. Most of the people in clubs are drunk fools, I’ve been that drunk fool and I’d wager a good number of posters in here have too.

Nightclubs are for the young. Sadly, I’m not young anymore.

Too many regulations and conformity.

Continental clubs are usually only getting going at about 2am, when the Irish ones are required to start closing. They also tend to have quieter areas where you can actually have a bit of a break and talk to someone. Kitkat club in Berlin has a sauna. I also found that the clubs in Dublin (when I went) all seemed to have the same kind of DJs, music, decor, clientele, drinks and so on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement