Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The what to do with left over turkey and ham thread.

• 27-12-2017 2:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭

I've probably 3/4 of a kilo of turkey left over, and about 1.5kg of boiled ham left over from the big dinner.

Apart from the usuals of curry and soup etc, I'm considering throwing mine in together to come up with a turkey/ ham and vegetable pie.

What are other boardsies concocting with theirs?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

My mother gave me a pile of leftovers (don't give me too much, there's only one of me! so she gave me too much)

Gonna use the smoked ham in a carbonara tonight and then freeze the turkey for a future curry (gotta get back on the road visiting ppl so won't be cooking tomorrow)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,896 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

We're having a creamy turkey and white wine kinda chasseur thing tonight. Will make Jamie Oliver's Asian turkey salad tomorrow. After that I won't want to see turkey again til next Christmas.

The ham is long gone. We've had it for breakfast as well as dinner the past two days !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

We’ve been making solid inroads over the last 2 days. Tonight, the last of the turke6 and some ham has gone into a pie, with a curry bechamel type sauce, along with a layer made from the last few roast spuds. The carcass of the turkey is getting the bin this evening and I’ll have my fridge back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,477 ✭✭✭✭noodler

How long can you eat this for? Ours just sitting in oven since Xmas, coming out for sandwiches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    Apart from the usuals of curry and soup etc,
    most make their own curry, what people might not have thought of is buying sauces from the takeaway. I was trying to find/replicate the curry in my local chinese for ages, then one day overheard someone ordering a "large curry sauce", which is not on the menu, and it was only 2.60 and fills a standard jar you would buy for around the same price if it was branded like sharwoods or something.

Another option is buying a veggie dish which is usually cheaper, be it chinese, thai, indian and then adding turkey to it, so a single dish with the added turkey would likely be enough for 2 people.

Another thing that caught my eye was turkey & stuffing croquettes, there are many recipes for them, here is one example
    http://www.justalittlebitofbacon.com/leftover-turkey-stuffing-croquettes/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm always surprised people have so much leftover. We ate at my brothers, so I came home with some and mam and dad went home with some...ate the last of mine on Stephens Day. How much turkey / ham do people buy in the first place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

How much turkey / ham do people buy in the first place?
    Not sure if anyone does the same thing I do, but I do order extra servings for meals outside of the dinner. So I don't really have leftovers as such.

For me, having the extra meat there, already cooked, means I have to do very little to make light snacks or other meals with it.

So far I've used it for the turkey curry, Christmas night sandwiches, frittata, and soup. Very little effort to make new meals there. Perhaps not the most adventurous in the world, but there were no complaints :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How much turkey / ham do people buy in the first place?
    Enough so there's no chance it'll run out :D

=-=

One nice idea, what my mum would often do, is freeze a dinners worth of meat, and a month after xmas have the "xmas dinner" again with all the family :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭phormium

noodler wrote: »
    How long can you eat this for? Ours just sitting in oven since Xmas, coming out for sandwiches.

Turkey is fine today and I will still eat it tomorrow, however I wouldn't if it was sitting in my oven since Christmas day, mine is in a very cold fridge! Are you just trying to wind us up :)

I love turkey so buy lots and always have lots of leftovers, was hoping to make the Paul Hollywood raised pie with layers of ham/turkey/stuffing/cranberry sc but don't think I will actually have enough leftovers to try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I ended up going with the safe option of turkey- ham and vegetable pie.

Sauteed onion, garlic and a few leeks - added a few peeled and sliced carrots.

A litre of chicken stock and a couple of table spoons of flour, a tablespoon of English mustard and a good seasoning with salt and pepper.

In with the ham and turkey.

Let it all thicken up then spooned into individual pie dishes (large ones are for the men obviously:))

I'll add the pastry tops later when they've cooled enough to not make the pastry go soggy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,477 ✭✭✭✭noodler

phormium wrote: »
    Turkey is fine today and I will still eat it tomorrow, however I wouldn't if it was sitting in my oven since Christmas day, mine is in a very cold fridge! Are you just trying to wind us up :)

I love turkey so buy lots and always have lots of leftovers, was hoping to make the Paul Hollywood raised pie with layers of ham/turkey/stuffing/cranberry sc but don't think I will actually have enough leftovers to try it.

No, theres never space in fridge.

Always eat the turkey and ham from the oven for two days afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Is it cannibalism if you leave out the left over turkey for the birds?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Is it cannibalism if you leave out the left over turkey for the birds?

Only if the other turkeys eat it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Thanks (no thanks?) to this thread, I made turkey and ham vol au vents last nigth for dinner. the rest of the meat is frozen now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    I ended up going with the safe option of turkey- ham and vegetable pie.

Sauteed onion, garlic and a few leeks - added a few peeled and sliced carrots.

A litre of chicken stock and a couple of table spoons of flour, a tablespoon of English mustard and a good seasoning with salt and pepper.

In with the ham and turkey.

Let it all thicken up then spooned into individual pie dishes (large ones are for the men obviously:))

I'll add the pastry tops later when they've cooled enough to not make the pastry go soggy.

Well we ate these last night and they were a big hit.

Finished product.

Advertisement