Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

apartments and kids could be a real bad idea

Options
  • 27-12-2017 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

looking on daft today and a lot of apartments online in dublin 15, it just dawned on me with people so desperate for housing a lot of parents are probably moving into apartments not suitable for kids

I then shuddered, the balconies on some of the places are a tragedy waiting to happen when it comes to children, sure they can lock the doors but we all know accidents can happen.

Scarey stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,711 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

People have been living with kids in apartments for decades. The news isn't exactly awash with balcony-related fatalities.

What a bizarre concern to feel the need to create a thread about.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

What about houses with open fires? Homes beside busy roads? Etc...

Parents just need to parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Do you peasants not have balconies on your houses? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Our house has a balcony, the door is never opened by anyone other than me. The keys are always out of reach of the kids when the door is closed. It’s not an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

In Dublin 15 they' call them 'banconys'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I guess growing up in various apartments really damaged me and I'm not a functioning human.
    (No, it never occurred to me that I could jump off a balcony, there is this common sense of high jump -> injury or death)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,006 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'd be more worried about the lack of areas for kids to play and hang out, the 'no ball games' bans, the difficulties in getting a loaded buggy up two floors, lack of storage for buggies or kids bikes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 muminpajamas

I lived in an apartment when my children were little. The door to the balcony was locked and they were never let out onto it under any circumstances. Plenty of other places for them to play within walking distance. They really need to start building more family friendly apartments where there is enough space and amenities for families.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

Yet it works in so many other countries where the norm is to live in apartments (balconies and all). Shocking stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I Lived in NYC and London in apartment blocks with families. It is fantastic.

Massive Parks in cities for play, with every possible type of facility on your doorstep. Skateparks, climbing walls, playgrounds. Art, sport, music, libraries, access to absolutely everything. Good schools, massive range of childcare options. Healthcare facilities were the best available in the country. Excellent public transport meant never need to run a car. Internet access was lightning quick.

Much lower maintenance, never have to clear gutters or cut the grass. Less heating cost, more eco friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭dubrov

No stairs in apartments is an advantage with young kids

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭sunrainmooncl

pwurple wrote: »
    I Lived in NYC and London in apartment blocks with families. It is fantastic.

Massive Parks in cities for play, with every possible type of facility on your doorstep. Skateparks, climbing walls, playgrounds. Art, sport, music, libraries, access to absolutely everything. Good schools, massive range of childcare options. Healthcare facilities were the best available in the country. Excellent public transport meant never need to run a car. Internet access was lightning quick.

Much lower maintenance, never have to clear gutters or cut the grass. Less heating cost, more eco friendly.

Sign me up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

We lived in an apartment for the first two years of my son’s life. We used to let him play out there unsupervised.

It was a ground-floor apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Generations ago in the likes of NYC and other high rise cities, it was thought that babies and toddlers that lived in apartments didn't get enough fresh air. So they would put them out the window in a cage to ensure they got some:eek:

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/news/a33058/hanging-baby-cages/

https://www.google.ie/search?q=babies+in+cages+outside+apartment+windows&client=firefox-b-ab&dcr=0&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjf78eD3qzYAhXkDsAKHcS4Cv0QsAQIJw&biw=1366&bih=635

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Averagevegan

in fairness a lot of people deliberately buy apartments so they can get away from kids! So the OP is right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

Perhaps the OP could point to the ads on daft for D15 that made them "shudder"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

The building code that applies to anything built in the past few decades requires balcony railings that cannot be climbed by kids. Of course, people leaving tables, chairs, etc. outside need to be even more careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Generations ago in the likes of NYC and other high rise cities, it was thought that babies and toddlers that lived in apartments didn't get enough fresh air. So they would put them out the window in a cage to ensure they got some:eek:

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/news/a33058/hanging-baby-cages/

https://www.google.ie/search?q=babies+in+cages+outside+apartment+windows&client=firefox-b-ab&dcr=0&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjf78eD3qzYAhXkDsAKHcS4Cv0QsAQIJw&biw=1366&bih=635

In Denmark it is still perfectly normal to leave babies nap in prams outside, while the parents enjoy their coffee in cafe:
    https://www.fatherly.com/love-money/why-danish-parents-leave-their-children-outside-in-strollers/

PramParty.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Not sure if OP is serious or...

I lived in an apartment (in London) for the first 3 years of my life. Survived!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

utmbuilder wrote: »
    looking on daft today and a lot of apartments online in dublin 15, it just dawned on me with people so desperate for housing a lot of parents are probably moving into apartments not suitable for kids

I then shuddered, the balconies on some of the places are a tragedy waiting to happen when it comes to children, sure they can lock the doors but we all know accidents can happen.

Scarey stuff.

No scarier than having household bleach, a lawn mower, steps leading up to a house, having a second story or access to a road to be honest.

It's a parent's job to make sure that their kid is safe, and that may well mean not allowing them access to the balcony unaccompanied.

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Not sure if OP is serious or...

I lived in an apartment (in London) for the first 3 years of my life. Survived!

I am not sure either if the original post is a wind up. When the opening post in an A&P thread receives zero thanks and the second post receives fifty plus, then something is up.

No scarier than having household bleach, a lawn mower, steps leading up to a house, having a second story or access to a road to be honest.

Exactly.

Replacing the word "balconies"with the word"bathrooms" shows how ridiculous this is

"looking on daft today and a lot of apartments online in dublin 15, it just dawned on me with people so desperate for housing a lot of parents are probably moving into apartments not suitable for kids

I then shuddered, the balconies bathrooms on some of the places are a tragedy waiting to happen when it comes to children, sure they can lock the doors but we all know accidents can happen.

Scarey stuff.

Advertisement