Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Low Muscle Tone - Long Term Prognosis?

Options
  • 27-12-2017 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Our little lady is just a few days away from being 7 months old. Since about 4 months she's been getting physiotherapy as she came out with a strong preference to look left, use her left hand more than the right etc. This was possibly as a result of her position in the womb. As a result she developed a flat head so we've really been working to bring her right side back into play.

We've been with a pediatrician in Temple Street as she's been behind in her milestones. At fist when lifted by her wrists her head would flop back as she hadn't the strength in her to hold her head up. That's improved but the pediatrician stated that she lacks core strength, hence why she's been getting physiotherapy.
    Fast forward a few months and my partner is increasingly worried that there is something wrong with her and from looking at what we know and using Google for a diagnosis (I know I know), she's come to the conclusion that she possibly has low muscle tone. For example, she hasn't made any attempt to roll/wiggle. She's not crawling and when lying on her back lies there frog legged. She really doesn't enjoy tummy time and makes no effort to put weight on her arms or really move all that much- making the Superman pose a lot (putting wright on her chest). That said, she will make some what of an effort if you encourage her with a toy to her front. She won't support any weight on her legs if you try to put her standing. If you put her sitting unsupported, she'll fall over.

Now to balance things out, she has full control over her legs and arms when lying on her back and her legs shoot right up and she can grasp her feet. Her fine motor skills appear fine as she'll pass items from hand to hand and has a strong pincer grip. Her hearing and sight both appear fine and she smiles quite a bit if stimulated. She doesn't babble and will occasionally squeak or will moan/borderline cry if hungry.
    She seems to be learning as she's realised the names of several of her toys, knows what the Christmas tree is called, some of the characters in her books, her own name and what Mama and Dada relate to.

I'm not asking for medical advice and we are going through the correct channels having visited our GP, taking physiotherapy and pediatrician appoints, which are months apart. While I realise that symptoms can appear to point towards a number of things and Google is probably the worst thing for an anxious mother, I'm wondering what the long term prognosis is for a child with low muscle tone?
    Can they work on their strength, get to the stage of walking etc. I read somewhat that sometimes they can be shy, frightened children. Really I'm wondering if this is what's ahead of us, what can we expect.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭fits

One of my twins is a year. He didn’t really roll until nine months. He was referred to early intervention physiotherapy at that stage but we are still waiting to be called. It’s s four month wait. He rolls away now but not crawling. He only started sitting unsupported in the last month. Your girl sounds similar. I don’t know what’s ahead of you but it sounds like you are getting seen anyway which is the important thing. Chances are she is just s but slower getting there than others and all is fine. The main thing I’ve been told is that they are progressing and getting more of their body off the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

They’re all so different. In general, I would say don’t worry about anything until someone specifically tells you there’s something to worry about. The main thing is that she’s known to services, and that you attend appointments as and when you’re given them.
    Some kids have a bit of a developmental delay that just straightens itself out after a while and is absolutely no cause for concern. In other kids, it can be a sign that there’s something going on. You just need to wait and see. My six year old is currently going to Physio because he’s a bit clumsy, I think his teachers were hinting at dyspraxia when they pointed it out to us. He has a weak core, and is a bit hyper mobile, but is honestly one of the chattiest most outgoing kids I’ve ever known, and he seems to be growing out of his weak core!

Advertisement