Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bike recommendation

Options
  • 27-12-2017 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I started cycling relatively regularly a couple of years ago and last year managed to up my maximum distance to 70k and did a few triathlons also.

I did that on a trek 1.2 bike. I’m hoping this year to upgrade the bike to something lighter and generally better. My aim for 2018 is to break the 100k mark and take part in a few Olympic distance triathlons along with the usual 50/60k leisure spins. I’d like to speed up my triathlons too and I think the bike is the best chance I have of making real progress there.

Can anyone give me a recommendation for a bike or type of bike that would tick all those boxes? A friend has mentioned a giant propel or tcr advanced. Just wondering what you guys think might fit the bill. Budget would be around €2000/€2500 ish. I’ll be buying a new one to use the cycle to work scheme.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

A giant propel or any aero bike will be an advantage but a tri bike will give you the best advantage.

In saying that get an aero bike as it's more practical particularly if you plan on using for sportives etc.

At the risk of being hung. I've done a few seasons of triathlon and by far the best and cheapest advantage is on the run. You might gain a couple of mins or possibly only seconds on the bike but several mins can usually be earned on the run.

In saying that if you've already reached a good level on your run 20min/5k or 45min/10k perhaps the bike is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭space2ground1

The triathlon is almost secondary really. I’m just recreational and happy to be there! My running isn’t great at all but I’ll work on it.

Really I’m after a good light bike that will let me do the 50-100k spins well and won’t be a major disadvantage in the triathlons.

Aero sounds like the way to go. Is Giant the most common model people go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Would aero bike be that much advantage, especially if triathlon is secondary? They may not be the most comfortable for longer spins, or that light.

Biggest difference you can make for triathlon to a road bike is clip on aero bars, so that would be the thing to do on any bike, if you haven't already.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Would aero bike be that much advantage, especially if triathlon is secondary? They may not be the most comfortable for longer spins, or that light.

Biggest difference you can make for triathlon to a road bike is clip on aero bars, so that would be the thing to do on any bike, if you haven't already.

Cheers, which kind would you recommend yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Macy0161 wrote: »

By no means the lightest at all aero frames and wheels are generally heavier than most average road bikes and as OP mentioned a poor run that's where you'll gain time.

As you mention get a set of clip on aero bars and buy yourself a nice light road bike. I'm not a fan of planet x at all to be honest but they do have some good deals. Giant do good mid range bikes and quality is typically quite high. I'd be looking at the direct sellers Canyon/Rose etc.

Take a browse and pick out a handful you like then work to your budget.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    By no means the lightest at all aero frames and wheels are generally heavier than most average road bikes and as OP mentioned a poor run that's where you'll gain time.

As you mention get a set of clip on aero bars and buy yourself a nice light road bike. I'm not a fan of planet x at all to be honest but they do have some good deals. Giant do good mid range bikes and quality is typically quite high. I'd be looking at the direct sellers Canyon/Rose etc.

Something like this? Reading up here based on all your recommendations and it seems a good carbon bike with a detachable light set of tri bars seems to be along the right lines.
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ie/defy-advanced-1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

iwillhtfu wrote: »

Something like this? Reading up here based on all your recommendations and it seems a good carbon bike with a detachable light set of tri bars seems to be along the right lines.
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ie/defy-advanced-1
    Didn't see a weight but I guess you're talking 8+kg and you'll do better than that for the money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

At 2249 plus postage I'd compare anything else you see to
    https://www.rosebikes.com/bike/rose-xeon-cw-force/aid:891491
    Some say weight isn't everything but if you are looking at a 2+k euro bike that weight 8+kg you have to ask why.
    A further future great upgrade on the above bike would be a set of deep section carbon wheels with either a tubeless setup or light fast tyre and tube combination. Then add clip on bars, aero helmet, shoe covers and skin suit and you'll be flying.

If it was between these two only, which would you guys go for and why?

437787.jpeg

437788.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

They are both nice bikes but the TCR is lighter, slightly racier (1cm longer reach), easier to maintain and has an extra sprocket for closer gearing.

So I'd pick the TCR.

Advertisement